Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

More of a sportsball thing, but a college basketball player just turned himself into an American soldier by accident and was hosed for a few days:

https://twitter.com/DPiper247/status/1631032122206044162?t=5hczWjXIT74jl9L56Pyaew&s=19

GAMER/TROOP FUEL

loving lightweight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Isn't 21st owned by Disney now?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Does he think a Twitter coup would require them even approaching him? Does he think he is Twitter? I mean, I get delusional self importance, but what good are two Blackwater Dickheads when a coup starts on What's App with a Creed Bratton meme, and ends with some poor suffering fool locking him out of his authentications.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

In fairness, so far, he has demonstrated no competence in literacy.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Too many Americans fail to realize just how powerful and brutal the Cartels are. Some of them have ISIL levels of control in areas, and the same brutality of being children raised into war.

Not only that, but some of them are equipped Near Peer levels of tech and individual equipment- poo poo like body worn jammers/ECW, NODs, and armament. They have drones, and their own secure C2 elements. It was just a but ago that the Mexican Government shut down an encrypted and private cell network.

It would be like GWOT but worse, with more casualties.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Oh, that's cool.

Didn't we already exempt ourselves from ICC under threat of military action?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Cartels are the defacto government force in some parts of Mexico. There is no part of Mexican government or elements of border security (including in the US) that some cartel does not have a grip on.

They have their fingers in drugs, protection, racketeering, and human trafficking, but they also have substantial assets in legitimate businesses.

America would approach the Cartel issue as one of internal security and insurgency, instead of looking at the fact it's way beyond a security threat.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes: The sequel, however, is not.

edit: I absolutely adore how goddamn tired and old the Delta guys look in the first movie.

Disagree. Second one was still good. Both are great movies.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

Sorry if this is turning the thread into CineD, but -- I like the idea of the second movie, and there are still some great and cynical/realistic ideas in it, but for me it's just missing the weight of the first one. I think a lot of that was Macer and Wayne working as the audience stand-in (the two of them realizing at the same time as the audience what Graver and Gillick are actually doing is a pretty good gut punch). Without characters like them to ground the awfulness, the horror and violence in the second movie was easier to step back from. The sequel is also missing Roger Deakins's cinematography, which was just incredible and went a long way into making the first movie so suspenseful. The buildup to the fight at the border (and the fight itself) was A+. I can't think of an equally powerful scene in the sequel.

Sounds like they're making a third movie, but I don't have high hopes for it. (I'll probably still watch it though.)

Completely fair criticisms. The 2nd also seemed like it was set up for a wider audience- it lacked that precise tense pacing. I think knowing the characters also hurt the 2nd one.

I love that Border Shootout as much as I love the Shootout from HEAT. I find the scene in the 2nd where they do the Vehicle Interdiction and wipe out the truck of gunman to be powerful, solely because the way Brolin walks away.

The 2nd also feels like the natural progression- the war is starting to wear on everyone involved, and we see no difference, just different players.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Violence in the Sicario movies is excellently done. It's near over the top, but still in the realm of reality. They also take the effort to show the reactions to witnessing and participating in violence, and showing how immune you become to it after chronic exposure.

I really like in the 2nd when Not Mike Vinning (guy from Burn Notice, im bad with names) gets shot, and how angry he gets from it. That was shockingly realistic to some reactions I've seen.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

Sicario 2 wasn't AS good as the first one, but I still enjoyed it.

Jeffrey Donovan. And yeah the way violence in those movies is portrayed is very :stare: but as you said, still within the realm of reality.

I like him as an actor, and find it a shame he isn't higher profile. I love Burn Notice, but he's done nothing but solid work from everything I've seen.

I'm glad they costumed him as they did for both movies- not just because Vinning was an Uppercase G, but because it breaks the visual stereotype of what people expect.

E- I've seen a few pieces talking about how Cartels have completely invested in the US Cannabis industry, but it was all business talk and shell company nomenclature so I didn't quite understand all the intricacies. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a significant hand in operations of the US agriculture industry, since they traffic the workers.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 9, 2023

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

If legalized, I just want to grow poppies and make artesian heroin.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Oh god, the whole bud-tender aesthetic around here is already insufferable enough. I'm not excited for horse-tender or whatever they gonna call it.

Hand made single batch heroin really fits my warlord chic sense of fashion

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Saw some Right Wing mud slinging claiming "Biden" caused 2 banks to fail this week, but only found SVB.

Oh, and of course, Uncle Same pulled an FTX- it had nothing to do with the bank being bad at investing or being a bank. Has to be Biden.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm a big fan of GOP reps calling for a bailout of a badly run bank failing to abide by regulations and common sense, but gently caress those kids and their student loans.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, saw some GOP reps on Twitter calling for it, because 250k isn't enough.

Well, that's their fault, ain't it? They know what insurance covers- it's posted at every teller, window, and ATM.

This whole thing seems like the Bank was pulling a Nigerian Prince Scam for Sillicon Valley, and those dumb dumb saw dollars signs instead of warning lights.

But I'm dumb and poor, and don't deserve healthcare.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, that's the shittiest part- it's gonna be the people at the bottom of the hierarchy who will pay the consequences. The rich will make sure they get paid first, and the poor guy who carries the bucket will get evicted.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You idiots are still talking about boats, when the future is throwing really high in the air, letting rhetoric earth spin, and drop in on the destination.
Bing Bong, Future ringing.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

orange juche posted:

Get the coordinates wrong or have a failure of your airbrake and parachute system, and your Amazon package delivery doesn't land on your porch, it obliterates your house.

You just hate Disruptors.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

reporting posts, much like using the ignore button, is the cowards way

USER REPORTED FOR TRUTH

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Just ask his Wife, since that's what he did.

What would George Washington do?
What would Herbert Hoover do?
What would Brian Boytano do?

gently caress that guy. I love chicken hawk fucks who are always eager to get my kid killed.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

According to some analysts, they think the Russians were trying to lit it ablaze- dump fuel, and then a close pass with afterburner to try and ignite it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

100%, I’m almost done with a rewatch and had forgot so much like how Hamsterdam had some good ideas but they didn’t ignore how Bunny (despite best intentions) really hadn’t thought it through. Or how the actor who played Gene on Breaking Bad is a recurring character in S5.

If you haven’t already be sure to read The Corner & Homicide: Life on the Killing Streets, excellent stand alone books and give a ton of background on what went into the Wire. All the Pieces Matter: The Inside Story of The Wire is also fascinating, and has lots of fun stories like how locals blasting music would ignore the production, but would turn it down if Method Man asked. Or how Bubbles’ actor Andre Royo got annoyed when he’d be dressed and acting normally at events and be constantly congratulated for having kicked his fictional drug habit. Or how at the start of production Idris Elba wasn’t well known but by S3 women would be screaming at him from windows.

We Own This City is also worth your time, it’s not a Wire sequel but is well done.

We Own This City is one of those that I know I should watch, but I think it might hit a little too close to home, having dealt with that department growing up. I didn't have any horrible interactions, but I had more than a few negative ones growing up in the area.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

US Berder Patrol posted:

Watch We Own This City if you need 6 hours worth of Jon Bernthal hollerin in hard bawlmerese

We's up 'ere an got some earl all in your raddiator hun

edit:
am - bu - lance

I heard his accent, and was impressed.
Turns out he was from MD, so he is very familiar with it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A shocking number (to those unaware) of drag queens are either straight or bi, and do hard-core traditional 'masculine' occupations. A whole loving lot seem to train in martial arts. I think many assholes have this idea that drag is test driving being gay or Trans, when it's really a form of entertainment. If someone explained to those dickheads "Do you get angry at the clowns at the circus? Because that is pretty much what you are doing here. You are getting angry that a person in cartoon makeup wants to make your kid happy for an hour with entertainment."

I don't have a lot of experience with the community, but the little I have showed that most of the performers will loving fight you. Not can, will. And many are vicious from years of abuse and intolerance. There was a very slight of frame queen calling bingo, and my friend Bob who knew her (I was told her in costume, him IRL unless told otherwise. If that's wrong, my bad) said, "You'd like her. She's fun, and stabbed a guy!" Apparently a tourist grabbed her rear end during Bingo, and she stabbed his bicep with a fork. No clue if it wad true, but it's a fun image.

I want to do a drag performance because poo poo looks fun as hell, and who doesn't love some Gloria Gaynor or Dolly? I know bearded Drag is a thing, but it feels wrong, which has been a speed bump in my desire.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Honestly give it a go. If you know anyone have a chat to them about it and I bet they'd be able to give you some advice.

I have a ton of support to do it- I even have a friend who swears she will sell videos. I have people who can coach me and stuff, but I'm more of a 'practice 20 minutes before hit time, and wing it' type of guy.

I just have a beard that I like and don't want to shave, and have a weird aversion to bearded drag. I just need to do it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I stand by the statement that anyone anti-drag should be required to attend Drag Bingo.

My wife and I went with a friend couple of hers to a queer (their title, not mine) burlesque show that featured trans and drag performers. My wife's friends met as working in the state prison. Jeremy was having a great time, but was really reserved and quiet after. Not bigotted or hateful, but Jeremy is a cis hetero who works in a prison, and has all the normal biased baggage that comes with it. They are huge in music and concerts, and he's never demonstrated any lovely behavior (or else I wouldn't go. Her friends are not my friends, and being an adult in America gives me the right to free association). No issues with LGBT that we knew of. The ladies ran to the bathroom, and I decided to check on him.

"That was awesome. That one chick was crazy hot."

Awkward, and quietly, he said, "Yeah, but I kept wondering which had dicks." I could tell homedude was a little too caught up on trying to figure his attractions out, and wasn't sure how to process his hang up.

"I just assumed all of them. Doesn't make my boner any weirder, or them less hot."

Laughs, "Really?"

"Hell yeah. poo poo, I ain't gay, but that short haired chick was hot enough to top. Emily can hold the camera or leave the room."

His wife texted mine and said that on the ride home, he was all excited, and talking about going to the next one. She also said he was noticeably more comfortable and open on the ride home.

"Jeremy said to ask Mike about his weird boner."

"Which one?"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I have a feeling that if they tried to 6 January Redux, we will end up with more bodies. I don't think the pigs will be as easy as last time.

I still can't believe only one of them got shot. I'm fairly certain I would have dropped more.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Thwomp posted:

It’s because the rioters were white.

That wouldn't matter to me.
I need to know my Final Protective Line. That's it. Anything else, I will sort out as peacefully as possible. Once they breach the FPL?
I'm going cyclic and pretending it's Balaclava. I'm a simple guy. I like my beer cold, my women androgynous, and my fascist coupmembers dead.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

gently caress you guys, have a heartwarming.
https://www.upworthy.com/8-year-old-handwritten-book-waiting-list-rp2

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Utah had firing squad as an option until into the 21st century, and have used it in my life time. There are dozens of ways to humanely kill a person. Most are ugly, and the rest aren't vicious enough for the bloodlust.

I think executions should be done like jury duty. I think we should make the society play a more personal, in depth role and it should be more visible.

I think the way we use the death penalty is useless, but I do think it has a place in a functioning criminal justice system- which we don't have.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

The death penalty is a barbaric practice that should be completely and utterly removed from society. It's disgusting and serves no purpose other than for bloodlust.

I disagree. There are people who are beyond rehabilitation- people who can't be fixed, and will continue to do their heinous actions upon release. I think it's more humane to execute them than it is to keep them locked up for the rest of their lives.

E- I also killed people for money, so there is that.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Arrath posted:

But yeah. While I may personally think there is a narrow set of crimes for which the death penalty may be a reasonable sentence, as long as there is the potential for a single innocent person to be executed, I can't support it.

This is where I'm at.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah its been a hotspot for evangelicals and by connection white supremacists for years.

Yeah, but there is no way they would move the whole AF Academy.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The best thing I got from my service was insurance for my family.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I miss Vine.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Don't forget the guy running the wrong way in the original "Army of One" commercial was later charged with AWOL.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Some estimates have 600k protesting.

That's gotta be a pretty significant chunk of the population.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well it only took a classrooms piled with dead kids to make cops realize that they get paid to be in dangerous situations and not “make it home at any cost.”

Plural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Don't worry guys- it was all a False Flag. Some dude on FB told me.