Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I've never wished covid on someone, but if Gane couldn't fight and they needed to save the card on short notice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Why can't we have nice things 😔

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I'm ashamed to admit I've missed all of Jon Jones' Heavyweight fights that earned him this title shot, which top ranked competitors did he beat? Actually I don't need you to be that specific, just what competitors at Heavyweight has he beaten? Actually scratch that, I'll make it easier, I just need to see one of his Heavyweight fights, which of the heavyweight fights that the fighter about to wrestle for the Heavyweight Title has fought should I watch?

The same ones as Volk and Izzy

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Who deserves a title shot more though? Maybe Blaydes, but losing to Lewis and beating Daukaus and Rozenstruik isn't that much more impressive than beating up a cop car imo.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

They're becoming content creators instead of promoters

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

The absolute most amazing Jon Jones thing, and there are many, was the headbutting of the car. When he was arrested for domestic violence (within 12 hours of being inducted in the UFC hall of fame, no less) the police report included 'suspect headbutted a police car' and you'd be forgiven for being suspiscious. He's a black guy, confronting the police in the US. That could be a euphemism for 'we smashed his head into the car.' then the video came out and he straight head butts the car, while handcuffed, as hard as he can.

Only loss on his record from DQing a police car smh

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Carl excellent writeup again brother!

Do you post these on somewhere else? I'd like to be able to point casuals in your direction for fight writeups.

carlcx.substack.com

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

What happen

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

it used to be, every time you won you got a new belt, did they replace the new belt with a single gem now?

Allegedly mighty mouse successfully argued that he should get a new belt after each defense but it was too expensive so they went to rubies after he left

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

lol weren't amanda nunes and other champions getting 500k for title fights

Deveison supposedly got like $150k against Moreno

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

12/12 is loving dogshit considering prelim fighters were getting 5/5 prior to Griffin-Bonnar 1.

It's funny how Bo Nickal is already in his late 20's as a combat sports athlete with 5 years of free labour for his school, then 3 years of unpaid competition to try to make the olympic squad, then won an mma audition fight for free, THEN had to fight another audition just cus, then had to wait another six months while the UFC slow rolled his debut to get him on a PPV card to finally net his first $24k.

I honestly don't understand how this works? Who is paying for his food, shelter, and training? Does he have a car? etc.

By comparison a full time minimum wage worker in Nevada would have career earnings of $170k by age 26.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Nierbo posted:

I googled ufc 285 payout and some article came up. I wouldn't even know how to go about fact checking or confirming or whatever.

John Nash is the only one reporting real numbers

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Can anyone think of a time where a world title/#1 spot was won or defended by a successful spinning attack?

Weili - Jędrzejczyk was for the #1 spot wasn't it?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lol I would not have put money on Jon fighting at heavyweight before Arjan

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Copy paste is hard

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Because it's run by the MMA guy

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Brut posted:

Them putting this slap poo poo on the actual UFC channel is complete bullshit and it's this kind of poo poo that is forcing us to address it, at the end of the day while we did roll in the other MMA orgs in to the thread from the separate B-League thread, this is still a UFC-focused thread and if UFC is doing dumb poo poo we're gonna talk about it, even if said dumb poo poo isn't MMA.

Yeah let's not go back to seperating threads, I don't think we're anywhere near having too many posts rather than the opposite.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Merab is cool and I hope the UFC bookers give him a run with the Intercontinental title while he has "Aljo's bodyguard" gimmick

At the very least they're earned a shot at the tag team championship

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

JFC Belal and Leon even have unfinished business to settle lol.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Cheat kune do is the best base for mma

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Nvm too slow

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

And they're gonna park Khamzat until loving October lol

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

CarlCX posted:

This also applied to his chastising everyone else in the sport for being a cheater but himself while excusing his own cheating constantly as normal and fine.

Can someone summarize this? I wasn't paying close attention to mma during his career.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Spaced God posted:

Wait what the gently caress kind of rule is it that a corner can't throw in the towel? That's insane

Same place as this

https://twitter.com/bisping/status/1639430217293758464

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Incredible that I'm more interested in the corpses of Moraes and Santos than that poo poo lol