Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

A Passing Feeling posted:

Feel like Usman is going to regain his belt this weekend. I really like Leon Edwards but can't help but see him as one of the few people who wins fights and actually lowers his stock in the process (thoroughly beat Diaz but my prevailing image from that fight is him getting rocked and almost losing in the final round; won the championship after being thoroughly dominated by Usman but landing a beautiful kick at the very end). A slightly more prepared Usman is going to be ready for that kick, with added fire and motivation to get the title back. IMO Usman is just a much better overall fighter.

Anyway, I'll be back when Edwards wins by Round 1 submission because it's MMA and nothing makes sense.

I think Usman should win, but he's 35 and his knees are just little piles of dust scraping against each other, so I am doubtful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

gently caress, I guess they win. There is no were I can go to avoid people talking about slap league.

I get the frustration, because it loving sucks, but a central point of these threads is the world around the sport. It's why last month's thread opened with a Victoria Lee eulogy and a Phil Baroni murder report.

Dana White is so personally invested in Power Slap that he diverted the UFC's marketing dollars, social media, color commentators and even its loving bespoke home arena to all focus on it. It, and how much it loving sucks, are news, and it just had its big finale and was an enormous commercial failure, so not only are we going to talk about how stupid it was, we're going to dance on its idiot grave, because a handful of people going "boy, this terrible thing that's so terrible it got bumped down to one of the only video platforms still willing to host loving Infowars sure was terrible" isn't likely to do them any favors but it does communally feel pretty great.

If Power Slap being a topic of discussion for its incredibly forseeable failure bugs you, I get that. Come back in a couple days when everyone's focused on Kamaru Usman's many muscles. But if you angrypost more Power Slap stuff I'm gonna probe you.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Brut posted:

Them putting this slap poo poo on the actual UFC channel is complete bullshit and it's this kind of poo poo that is forcing us to address it,

I highly doubt we're forced to address anything ITT. It is entirely possible not to push the keys necessary to post about the white power slap thing

CarlCX posted:

isn't likely to do them any favors but it does communally feel pretty great.

I think it sucks rear end but what do I know, I'm just a lurker

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Power slap loving sucks and I'm here to celebrate it not getting traction as a form of mixed martial arts (because it sucks), and because Dana White (who also sucks) thinks so highly of it and himself that he attached his name to the product (which sucks)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

ilmucche posted:

Power slap loving sucks and I'm here to celebrate it not getting traction as a form of mixed martial arts (because it sucks), and because Dana White (who also sucks) thinks so highly of it and himself that he attached his name to the product (which sucks)

:hai: It is fun to ridicule bad things, especially when they fail very publicly, and it being tied to Dana White makes it as relevant of a topic here as any of the other UFC personalities' pursuits outside the octagon (opening steak restaurants, starting whiskey companies, beating up pensioners, hitting pregnant women with cars, etc)

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
That's a poo poo rule, you can talk about slap league as long as you are negative about it?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

That's a poo poo rule, you can talk about slap league as long as you are negative about it?

what? i don't think anyone said that.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

CarlCX posted:

If Power Slap being a topic of discussion for its incredibly forseeable failure bugs you, I get that. Come back in a couple days when everyone's focused on Kamaru Usman's many muscles. But if you angrypost more Power Slap stuff I'm gonna probe you.

Give me 3 days
https://twitter.com/AssSlapSport/status/1630391539330347009
:argh: :blastu: :downsowned: :argh: :blastu: :downsowned: :argh: :blastu: :downsowned: :argh: :blastu: :downsowned: :argh:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

no stay and post more rear end slap actually

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

It wasn't about you posting positively about it, it was about you extremely clearly getting mad about it and reverting into repeatedly posting about the the thing you didn't want to post about because it was somehow going to translate into owning the thread. I was kinda hoping to get you to take a step back and take a breath instead.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Give me 3 days

But okay. Hope you feel better.

Beeswax posted:

I highly doubt we're forced to address anything ITT. It is entirely possible not to push the keys necessary to post about the white power slap thing

I think it sucks rear end but what do I know, I'm just a lurker

I mean, your view isn't wrong either. It does suck. This is somehow one of the dumbest things to happen around one of the dumbest sports in history. But it did happen, and it did take up UFC cycles, and just like "power slap sucks and I don't want to hear about it" is a valid take multiple people here have, "power slap sucks and I want to be glad it failed" is a valid take multiple people here have. I'm personally glad to celebrate its demise, but having had said celebration, we can move on.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Merab is cool and I hope the UFC bookers give him a run with the Intercontinental title while he has "Aljo's bodyguard" gimmick

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Merab is cool and I hope the UFC bookers give him a run with the Intercontinental title while he has "Aljo's bodyguard" gimmick

At the very least they're earned a shot at the tag team championship

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

I think Usman should win, but he's 35 and his knees are just little piles of dust scraping against each other, so I am doubtful

Yeah, at some point age will catch up to him. I wonder if that's now. Also getting knocked out cold can change a person.

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

At the very least they're earned a shot at the tag team championship

bah gahd it's belal 'remember the name' muhammad entering the octagon with a steel chair!!!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LobsterMobster posted:

Yeah like an Usman who has actual functioning knees probably beats Leon 9/10 times. But we don't have that and I think Leon's striking may just be a tad bit better than Usman's.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CarlCX posted:

when everyone's focused on Kamaru Usman's many muscles.

You guys aren't focused on his ridiculously chiseled physique 24/7?

Dude's muscles have muscles and I can't figure out how that's even possible.

LobsterMobster posted:

Dana said that Merab "doesn't want to go down that path" wrt to not being willing to fight Aljo is Aljo is champion.

Which is stupid as gently caress because they're longtime teammates and Aljo already said he's likely to go to FW soon.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 14, 2023

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mekchu posted:

Yeah like an Usman who has actual functioning knees probably beats Leon 9/10 times. But we don't have that and I think Leon's striking may just be a tad bit better than Usman's.

for real? am i misremembering usman easily outstriking him for 3.5 rounds?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Mekchu posted:

You guys aren't focused on his ridiculously chiseled physique 24/7?

Dude's muscles have muscles and I can't figure out how that's even possible.

Performance enhancing drugs tbh

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1635400405390639104?s=20
good news for people who like bad news (about power slap)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well, they still got Rumble and they're taking the show to Fight Island.

I see this entire Power Slap experiment to go 2 maybe 3 more years at most before they give up on it.

But goddamn, please pay these poor guys more than 2K/2K.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

i meant to watch fights for film study but i uh didn't

:siren: b league preview :siren:

Invicta 52 - Wednesday, March 15

Main Card - 8 PM ET, YouTube, AXS TV

Strawweight Title - Valesca “Tina Black” Machado vs Danni “Mac” McCormack

Machado is 12-3 with 4 TKO and one submission win. She is on a four fight winning streak, including her 3 most recent bouts, all taking place in Invicta. She won the vacant 115 lb title in a one-night tournament back in November, winning a pair of decisions.

McCormack is 6-2 with one TKO and one submission win. She went 4-1 in Bellator, making her pro debut there in 2019. She had hit a two fight losing skid, but bounced back with a win in her Invicta debut last November.

Machado’s got decent kickboxing, which means an Irish is going to have to look to grapple to win. Yikes!

Strawweight - Karolina “Polish Assassin” Wojcik vs Ediana “Mel Pitbull” Silva

Wojcik is 10-3 with 2 TKO wins. She had been riding a five-fight win streak until she lost to Machado in the finals of the Strawweight title tournament in November, putting her at 1-1 in Invicta.

Silva is 12-3, boasting 5 wins by TKO and 3 by submission. She made her Invicta debut in the title tournament last year, losing to Machado in the first round by split decision.

A pair of Machado Title Tournament victims squaring off, but far more importantly, another battle in the raging war between Assassins and Pitbulls. Will this carnage ever end?

Strawweight - Minna “Brutsku” Grusander vs Shauna “Mama B” Bannon

Grusander is 6-4 with 3 TKO and 2 submission wins. She is 1-2 in Invicta, dropping a pair of Atomweight title bids against Jinh Yu Frey, and is currently on a 3-fight losing streak.

Bannon is 4-0 with two wins by TKO. She is 1-0 in Invicta.

It could be my own bias for Invicta being a reputable, well-run organization, but I feel like they don’t tend to book many obvious squash matches. This feels like a squash match. You’ve got the undefeated fighter taking on the person on a three-fight skid.

Bantamweight - Montserrat “Monster” Rendon vs Maria Jose “Leona” Favela

Rendon is 5-0, with all of her fights going the distance. She is 1-0 inside the Invicta cage.

Favela is 4-2 with one TKO and one submission win. She is 0-2 in Invicta, but has bounced back to win two fights in a row to close out 2022.

Since it looks like Montserrat “Mad Conejo” Ruiz isn’t fighting any more (Last fight in 2021, nothing announced since she withdrew from a 2021 bout), I guess we must turn our hopes and dreams on Montserrat “Monster” Rendon.

Never mind, this fight is off. We’ll never get any more Montserrat action in the cage.

Strawweight - Fatima “The Archangel” Kline vs Natasha “Kuzya” Kuziutina

Kline is 3-0 with one TKO and one submission win. Her entire pro career has taken place under the Invicta banner.

Kuziutina is 1-0, winning her pro debut by first round armbar in November. She’s also a bronze medalist in Judo at the 2016 Olympic games.

Kline has shown to be a solid fighter. However, a bronze medal Judoka with a penchant for quick armbars? Uh oh!

Strawweight - Sayury Canon vs Amanda Macioce

Canon is 2-0 with one TKO victory. She hasn’t fought since 2021, but was scheduled to compete in January at Invicta 51, but her opponent missed weight, scraping the bout.

Macioce is 1-0, winning her pro debut by TKO just 20 seconds into the first round.

Aww, look at the little baby fighters with barely any fights on their resumes. Hope they both have fun out there!

Featherweight - Ramona Pascual vs Kaylee Vos

Pascual is 6-5 with 4 TKO and one submission win. She went 0-3 in UFC from February through November of 2022. Prior to that, she won her Invicta debut in January 2022, notching a TKO stoppage in the opening minute.

Vos is 2-2, with both wins coming by decision. Her last scheduled bout was October 2021, but her last actual fight was April 2021.

Pascual has hit a rough patch in her career, while Vos simply hasn’t fought in two years. Not that the UFC boasts any kind of reputable women’s featherweight division, but I don’t think Vos is on the level of the people that beat Pascual.

This fight is also canceled.

Bantamweight - Calie “The Honey Badger” Cutler vs Mayra Cantuaria

Cutler is 7-6, with 2 TKO and 2 submission wins. She’s also 0-1 in each Bareknuckle Boxing and Muay Thai. She hasn’t fought since a 2019 decision win. Quite a long layoff.

Cantuaria is 9-5 with 2 TKO and 3 sub wins. Cantuaria is on a 2-fight losing streak, her last win coming in 2021.

Cantuaria is on a skid, but at least she’s been active recently.

Strawweight - Diana Sanchez vs Kendra McIntyre

Sanchez is 1-1, winning her pro debut by first round rear naked choke in October 2022. She had a very quick turnaround, fighting 14 days later and losing by TKO.

McIntyre is making her pro debut, and doesn’t appear to have an amateur record.

Two very untested fighters entering the Invicta cage to kick things off.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Trillhouse posted:

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1635400405390639104?s=20
good news for people who like bad news (about power slap)

cool train wreck

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dana in the same frame as a championship belt for slapping is loving wild.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
hoping dana enters his off-strip howard hughes phase and power slap season 3 is held entirely in his hotel suite while he alone watches in a bathrobe

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Fight Week, Pet Week begins with Invicta 51

Valesca Machado's dog

Danni's McCormack pack

Karolina Wojcik's pup

Natasha Kuziutina got a cat

Calie Cutler's friend, Binky

Mayra Cantuaria's dog

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

LobsterMobster posted:

Danni's McCormack pack

making a big pillow nest and inviting all your friends ftw

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Anyway, laugh at Dana and dig them cats and dogs. That's my motto.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

Natasha Kuziutina got a cat

Oh man that cat's either gonna ask me an impossible riddle or walk straight into a wall without slowing down, no middle ground between the two

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Anyway, laugh at Dana and dig them cats and dogs. That's my motto.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

DoombatINC posted:

Oh man that cat's either gonna ask me an impossible riddle or walk straight into a wall without slowing down, no middle ground between the two

There is a third option: Full Goblin

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

quote:

The first season of Power Slap all took place in Las Vegas after the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) unanimously voted to sanction the sport this past October. Stephen Cloobeck, the former NAC chairman who voted to approve the sport in Nevada, recently told the Associated Press of his decision: “I made a mistake. I’m not happy about it.”

Neither are we Steve.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg2XTTjCE4M

i opened this video to think of a crude joke to make about jones here but then i was blown away in astonishment of him literally dropping a baggie of cocaine 39 seconds in

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
He picks that baggie immediately omg

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Hahahaha oh poo poo you weren't joking even a little

https://i.imgur.com/zPbtP3D.mp4

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

the man will never stop loving up. what a waste man.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

That's goddamn amazing.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
The speed and accuracy he displays when securing his coke is truly some veteran moves, you can tell he's been here before.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

DoombatINC posted:

Hahahaha oh poo poo you weren't joking even a little

https://i.imgur.com/zPbtP3D.mp4

i'm in awe

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I can't believe how dumb the slapping was, the only reason it has any cultural relevancy is because moistcritikal did reaction videos about it. If you are going to try to make it work you have to have the only bit of it that was entertaining in the first place but no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
lmbo Jon