Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Champagne for Alexa Grasso the real champ,
real pain for Jon Jones the sham champ.

CarlCX posted:

Tenshin Nasukawa, the world's greatest kickboxing alien, passed all his boxing tests (this isn't a funny rejoinder, in Japan you have to actually pass a written test and successfully spar three rounds in front of officials) and is officially a professional boxer

This spontaneously reminded me of Joe Rogan doing an impression of Jim Brown commenting in UFC 1, talking about how he would automatically know how to fight MMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is kinda fun.
stage punches: A
Gyllenhaal's footwork: C-
ref's stoppage and pull off: D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvGQHhd1GHQ

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hey tiger, are you still there?

[I know they're switched for that to work]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I know what the bathrooms in that hotel look like, at least.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://calfkicker.com/whoops-ufc-caught-photoshopping-alexa-grassos-championship-picture/
Whoopsieee.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

chaleski posted:

Usually if you kick someone square in the kneecap with your own shin, you come out worse right? I don't think I've seen anything like that before.

I'd have no fear of landing my shin on the patella. It would shift around some on impact. The end of the femur or top of the tibia, though, that's like kicking a rock.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Worth watching docu by the UFC on Zhang Weili
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qls-hR2FugA&t=35s

2 things I took away:
- she fought 11 times in 2017!
- after the Rose KO, her coach's "throw the brick in the river" strategy for her was to rewatch the KO until it no longer affected her emotionally

Their camp and the editing narrative are incredibly generous on losing the the Rose rematch; it's hard to tell how much she wants that rematch to settle the legacy.

Something that doesn't come through in the translation is that Zhang is pretty articulate, at least compared to a lot of fighters. Li Jingliang by comparison, speaks a lot more haltingly and more plainly.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut, did Krylov say anything about the war? Was he speaking in Ukrainian or Russian?

He got the "too controversial country" flag

I wouldn't have been surprised if they left out what oblast he was from.

Also lol
https://twitter.com/MMAMircea/status/1634985271073869824

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dana getting mad in comments of a post Mike Tyson probably got paid to make

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Does the YouTube vid with sound make JBJ seem any more guilty/sheepish about the baggie?

Marching Powder posted:

I'm sorry but I'm still surprised. How do you pop with kickboxing testing? Incredible.

Yeah, that part is indeed shocking. Dutch gangster fighting… more legit than USADA?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Use ones with a good aspect ratio
https://youtu.be/wDT1r55vwjM

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I dunno why, but in my mind, Gaethje and Poirier fight during the pandemic, when Justin had already tuned up his style. poo poo was 5 years ago :psyduck:
Maybe it’s cuz that moment sort of solidified Poiruer’s renaissance.

quote:

That and he, like 3/4 of Contender Series winners including the one we just talked about, has adapted evolutionarily to the new meta of the sport, which is 'the best way to make money is to march forward fully upright with very little defense and jump on every finishing opportunity I can.'
That’s part of my ire with Power Slap — it’s clearly a model of what Dana wants out of mma, which sucks in general and specifically for the UFC roster.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Spooky, my friend asked me last March 15 (looked it up when trying to share this news with him) what Khabib was up to and if he was still tight with Kadyrov. Back then, I said he had his own Chechen contender, not realizing Chimaev wasn’t his #1.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Belal Muhammad has making it pretty publicly clear how bullshit it is

Well I hope he gets a nice ONE contract out of this.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

god drat. how much of that was the punch vs face planting against the canvas, I wonder? landed on his chin like a sack of bricks.

Both hits together got him that concussed, but I don’t think there was anything other than the brain being weird.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

i haven't rewatched it but it felt like he had a big advantage in footwork compared to the first two fights. he didn't give ground easily and didn't put himself against the cage, he kicked really well the whole fight, wrestled really well, hit usman with more hard decisive shots in the exchanges, worked the body a lot, and tactically cheated all fight long which is an extremely powerful skill in MMA lol. it was still a very close fight despite all that.

Good summary. His cheating was running up the very limit of what he could get away with (and past it when he lost the point), but always an extension of other measures he had in place that frequently were enough. Pulling out each cheat was an effective way to break up any momentum Usman could get and also bother him mentally. Bisping said something to that effect -- that Kamaru was complaining to Herb when he could have tried one extra thing to counter the cheat.
He was kicking more vertically to the inside leg in the later rounds, just courting a momentum breaking nutshot. Again, veteran moves.

I would add that Edwards used his height really well, making up for Usman's punch reach advantage and forcing Usman to always start offense from far out. He looked like the bigger fighter out there.
Even if he was getting pressured to the cage, he knew it was coming and had the escape work all cued up.

His counter-wrestling was efficiently deployed and got him out of bad spots numerous times. I dunno if his one early desperation shot was cuz he got rocked and decided he could get out of danger later after buying time by giving up back control, or if he thought it would be worth the risk just to throw Usman off his game.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

A hell of a performance by Gaehtje. He won that off extending the combos and remembering his jab in round 3.

Dirk Digglet posted:

Listening to Trevor’s advice with the jab to take the fight

There was a lot going on in that fight that I haven't digested yet, but here's my initial impressions after rewatching once with a lot of replaying exchanges.

First round was pure clash of styles and attributes. I was thinking that if Fiziev wins, it's because his chin let him ignore Gaethje's punches and stay in place tactically.
The commentary was talking about how Fiziev is extremely fast. Absolutely true, but I think not as big of a reason that he was edging out the exchanges in the first.
Gaethje has a hell of a chin too, and only stumbled once through multiple hard shots that landed on him.
I think what Fiziev had gameplanned for was this --
if Gaethje sees you coming in, he'll lean forward (cuz he has short arms and it's easier), through a looping overhand, left hook, and then the swinging baseball pitch right hand. The last punch is wild, but the first right is more disciplined, to the point that it's something you can draw out.

So Fiziev would stand on the outside and make multiple feints of coming in with a combo. He'd frequently gamble correctly that Gaethje was going to lean in, and beat him to the punch (thanks to his speed) or interrupt him with a flying/stepping knee to the body as he leaned and slip out of the way of that overhand.
The story of the first round was Gaethje looking to counter but being baited into unsuccessful combos. That said, he was still landing a ton of stuff because he's not _that_ predictable and still very fast in his own right, if not in the initial movement, then certainly in overall combo cadence.

Fiziev has a flaw that other fighters with the strong chin and speed combination can have -- relatively poor footwork discipline. He sets distance pretty primitively, either coming in on very quick but poorly planned steps, or staying on the outside and stepping idly just to not be standing still, showing movement but not really doing anything with it. The idle stepping on the outside is especially prominent for people who fight in both stances. Instead of developing more attacks that switch stance mid-combo, they retreat to the outside, flash some footwork, and end up opposite stance. This is a sparring habit. You make a clean escape to the outside, and your sparring partner lets you stay out there cuz you're sparring. And of course, you're a fast elite fighter and leave enough distance where chasing you down wouldn't be easy either. Good strikers who are slower have to plan out their footwork much more intricately because they can't afford any waste.

This flaw, in the 2nd round, combined with him slowing down a bit and also lack of adjustment when meeting some varied resistance from Justin, was where he lost tactical control of the fight. He was still stepping up to the outside of the pocket, feinting a few times, and coming in. Gaethje was now starting to slip to his right instead of leaning in, waiting with a counter uppercut to start his punch combos. Not always effective but scoring enough to give Fiziev pause. He'd eat a huge shot on the chin and freeze or back up slightly, and then take extra time to consider what he should do. Ironically, the commentary noted that Fiziev attributed the success of champions to their ability to adjust, so something he's gotta work on if he wants to go to the next level.

Wittman's advice after the 2nd was totally on point and helped solidify Gaethje's adjustment. He was already yelling a lot of tactical stuff in the 2nd. Just really shows how in-fight coaching can make a huge difference.
Fiziev managed to come out blazing at the start of each round, but he died off the quickest in the 3rd. He again resorted to the front punt kick that didn't work for him in the 2nd and got more damage on his eye, and again got hooked for it. It was a sign to me of how tired he was, using that to try to score but stay on the outside. Gaethje got really comfortable in the clinch and generally powered his way out of any danger there. He transitioned from lowering his lead hand while leaning in as a telegraph of a leaping left hook to feinting that and slipping to the right, or feinting it and going for a jab. After his takedown attempt, Gaethje really committed to the jab and just took over the fight from there. His jab is not that fast, but little telegraph, and Fiziev never saw it coming or committed to an adjustment for it.
He tried some lead body kicks as a counter to Justin slipping to the right, but gave up on it. Instead he just marched in and frequently got caught with Gaethje's next punch -- a pivot hook, another jab, or a counter uppercut after slipping.
Again, this is that flaw with being a fast guy with underdeveloped footwork. If the jab stymies you, it completely undoes your response time.
Gaethje's takeover off the jab in the last minute was capping off more than a round's worth of surviving Fiziev's heavy punches and making steady adjustment to his fast but relatively simplistic offense.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

The problem with "Colby is the only draw" is it stops being a good argument when the UFC stops making draws. The UFC's welterweight top ten currently includes:

Hey, they've tried nothing and they're all out of ideas.
But it's absolutely true -- the UFC could bother to market some fighters instead of pumping power slap on their social media.

Where's Jingliang's cooking show dammit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I know nothing about him, so I dunno what his comfort with getting hit was -- I suspect that's a huge obstacle for a lot of wrestlers.

This old article discusses the nuance of wrestling technique when considering how well a wrestler might do:
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/4/4/2922382/a-theory-on-successful-wrestling-translating-to-successful-mma

The argument boils down to this:
wrestlers who are comfortable using feints or starting from the outside (as you would in MMA) might transition more easily than those who have lots of their game built on wrestling-specific clinch scenarios.
The author caveats that of course many elite wrestlers will be good at all 3 in large degree.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

easy to say Shayilan Nuerdanbieke

I dunno; it's not that easy to say.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/AlexPereiraUFC/status/1637496467504898050

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

I think the canonical Anderson Silva matches up pretty well with a lot of folks, but I also think you'd see him get eaten up by, like, Kelvin Gastelum and Bo Nickal, and that's a world of depression I would prefer to avoid.
Anderson's wrestling defense was always his biggest weakness, so yeah, even mediocre strikers who could come in multiple times around and get hands on Anderson would score well.

However, on people who insisted on striking, I think Anderson would still completely hold up.

Foul Fowl posted:

if he was in his prime i think he'd still be an incredible fighter and i think he'd beat the current adesanya, but not the current perreira.

whittaker would be a really really hard fight for him with all the feinting and the wrestling and the high level footwork.

Agree on Adesanya. Agree on Pereira, mostly cuz he's just huge.

Whittaker I don't see Anderson having much trouble with. He was so good at laying traps and finding accurate counters. Whittaker's offensive cadence would give Anderson a lot of opportunities, and generally starting from range would give Anderson the best chance at managing down the pace of the fight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What is LIJ.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Wait what the gently caress kind of rule is it that a corner can't throw in the towel? That's insane

I get the idea that throwing things into the ring at any time is an extra element the AC doesn’t want the ref to deal with. I’ve certainly seen towel throws that landed short and not in the ref’s field of view.
Having an alternate process is fine. Not following through with it is the problem.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mekchu posted:

What threshold do you think needs to be met for Dana to strip Leon?

Is Leon in the end of his contract? He should be fine if he can get ahold of the Diazes’ lawyer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I thought well maybe Jake could get under Dana’s skin and give him a stroke.
But then I remembered that Mark Hunt managed to scare Dana straight in a meeting, but he didn’t budge for Francis. So the man is evolving his rear end in a top hat game.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

what's the story here? i remember sakakibara trying to play like he was a gangster and mark hunt navigated the situation by threatening to throw him out the window.

gently caress, I think I got him and Dana mixed up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oh, i see

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mekchu posted:

just give the fighters weapons and have them fight to the death. that's how it was back in the day!

Actually the Colby Covington gladiator always wins, no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I guess technically if you wanted to punch at the side of the neck you could but why would you.
Hitting the vagus nerve can cause a KO, but it’s not a convenient target if their guard is remotely protecting their head.