Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I kinda have a feeling in my waters that Jones is going to clinch and toss him and elbow a hole in his face before the end of the 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Writing off Jon Jones strength against anyone is folly. He's literally been stronger where and when it counts than everyone he's fought and the worst place to fight Jones is at his kicking range where he's just going to gently caress up your legs and interupt your timing.

Yeah he's a cheat, yeah he's a piece of poo poo, but he's also the greatest mixed martial artist above 185 in history.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

I agree with this post unconditionally. I also have been in a coma since 2015 and only just awoke

CarlCX posted:

Allow me to counterpoint with a brief powerpoint presentation about the last time Jon fought someone who forced him to work at range

Lol

Lmao

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

This is where I'm going to be an angry fan and disagree with that. I don't think we saw much if anything from me to really say that.

Clearly he could get a take down and sub a guy that isn't good on the ground.

But we don't know if his cardio holds up, does he still have a chin, can he handle pressure.
I just feel like i have questions even after that easy masterfull performance.

The constant "Well, he never fought a X type of fighter" is where I'm at right now. Needs to fight a true wrestler. (Which I know is a stupid to hold highly but I'm in a bad mood now)

VVV I mean at heavyweight

Hes going to reign until he does something dumb off field or retires.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

God is punishing you for believing in false prophets like Johnny Walker

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Just watched creed III.

Wait for streaming if you like boxing movies.

Had me thinking about the UFC letting jake gyllenhall film part of his movie live in the cage and the weigh ins etc. Much better idea than shooting on a soundstage with a mostly cgi crowd etc.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CarlCX posted:

previously, in February

and now, the conclusion
https://twitter.com/RodDelCampo/status/1634213364250337280

His belly looks like a disappointed face.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

First man to figure out the calf kick in MMA properly. Took out future hall of famers and made every fight a fun affair.

Was also a really nice dude on twitter, he ended up in my DMs chatting about the Carolina panthers for about 45 minutes once, that was pretty cool.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Worst kept secret is that everyone in the NFL and NBA is on juice.

CarlCX posted:

The UFC crowned a new top bantamweight contender today with a history-breaking statistical performance and their twitter and instagram feeds are dozens of clips from Power Slap.

To be honest if you were relying on instagram or twitter you wouldn't have known there was a card on yesterday for all the powerslap bullshit.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

Massive boot licker Michael Chandler isn't suing the UFC lol.

And also while I'm not a lawyer I think the new UFC contracts force disputes with the company into arbitration, so good luck with that. If only these dummies would unionize.

No, you don't get it. You stay a company man making 5k a fight and in ten years in addition to brain damage Dana might gift you a belt buckle that says you're a fighter by day and a lover by night while he gives hundreds of thousands of dollars to some gen z youtuber as a birthday joke.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CarlCX posted:

Belal Muhammad has making it pretty publicly clear how bullshit it is that he a) wasn't even approached about being the title backup and b) had asked for a matchup with Colby at this specific show and was told no, only for it to turn out the UFC was trying to get Colby in the title picture again without even telling anyone.

Every time belal is mentioned I just want to say "who?" Because of his nickname.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I've kinda always been defending Colbys in cage ability and that he deserved both his first shot and his rematch but even id say he shouldn't be next in line.

Belal 100% deserves the next shot.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The thing about Rogan's point about fighting eras isn't hugely off the mark, he just completely debunks himself by picking one of an incredibly small number of fighters to whom it simply doesn't apply, GSP, and then he uses a fighter who wouldn't land a single punch to double down on the self debunk.

In a list of all time greats from the past who you could argue would still be the clear best all time in their division now, if in their prime, the list is like:

Clearly best ever at their weightclass, no one else is close:
GSP, Jon Jones (LHW)

More arguable examples:
Anderson,
Khabib (very short reign though)

And you'd maybe say prime Aldo & prime Max makes prime Volk a fun fight, but I'd favour Volk. (Arguably, we had prime Max vs prime Volk?)

I think that tweet has some pretty deliberate lovely emphasis. I didn't take it when I heard it at the gym as Rogan saying that Masvidal is on a different level to GSP, I took it as him more saying that he was on a different level now, to the competition that GSP faced - at the time.

GSP was the best we've seen from his era, but I think there's a pretty big gap between the WW division now to when GSP was king of it and the sports supposed to go that way really.

Nierbo posted:

The vibe on this forum when Robbie Lawler was ww champ was something else too. It was like everything came full circle.

He was a must watch every single time and everyone was on board with him winning no matter what. Truly a joyus time.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

Genki sudo getting sick of dominating mma and quitting to do the robot in pursuit of world peace owns

I always thought it was a little odd he only got 3 fights in the UFC. He got two good subs and his only loss was really because of incompetent refereeing. He fought some guys too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

HOW IS THERE A SITUATION WHERE THE GUY CHOKING SOMEONE UNCONCIOUS AND THEN BREAKING IS ARM IS THE LEAST AT FAULT.

for gently caress sake. Protect your loving fighters you useless, dumb cunts in his corner.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Colby is genuinely amazing. He had a multi fight win streak at WW without a single actually impressive performance but which did include him getting outboxed by Damian Maia for a round. This win streak concluded four years ago, and somehow there's still people convinced he's near the top of the division despite not beating anyone in it.

He smashed maia and the outboxed thing is a weird meme that came about because he landed like 3 clean shots in one round and then got dominated for the rest of it.

Maia did decently but it wasn't a close fight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

Can you punch people in the neck? Legalize neck punches to keep heads safe.

Not the back in that inverted tee kinda section where Rogan recently said you should be allowed to, you also can't do some B martial arts movie poo poo and like lift your opponents chin and drill them in the throat, but a punch to the face that hits the throat or neck is deemed fair and legal and I guess technically if you wanted to punch at the side of the neck you could but why would you.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I actually believe something along these lines, though we've argued about it in this thread before: specifically, that if a fighter is choosing to remain in a submissive/defensive position in which only the rules and their opponent's discretion are protecting them from grevious bodily harm, that it should be a TKO under the basic concept of "intelligent defense." Eddie Alvarez's DQ loss in ONE is the platonic ideal of this kind of position. But if the TKO were available in that spot on that criteria, the attacking fighter would be further incentivized to avoid throwing the DQ-worthy blow.

The problem is that I've come to believe that the refs are too stupid even to follow the potato rules that they have let alone make this kind of judgment call.

I once heard a podcast from someone's coach on how to improve MMA and it involved having a 2nd cage side referee who is sat beside the doctor with their own alarm to end the fight. The idea being that in situations like posted in the thread this month where a fighter is clearly out and hes having his arm broken a ref not in the cage can hit the siren and end the fight immediately.

Part of this whole breakdown also included giving the cage side ref another noise maker - they referred to it as a beeper that would allow a fighter to throw knees or kicks at an opponent who's chosen to remain in a defensive or turtle posture on the ground. This also had the caveat of it being like k1 clinch strikes where you can't just loving tee off on the head with knees pride style but you could use one or two to break their posture and force a movement.

So it would work like. A fighter gets the takedown, and starts working to the back and throwing head strikes while their opponent stays turtled up but is not making any attempt to regain their feet or move for a sub. After a few moments the cage side ref hits his beeper letting both fighters know they're now vulnerable to knees to the head while grounded. The fighter in top position moves around and clangs a knee into their head breaking their posture and the in cage ref advises them that's their strike.

I didn't mind the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Hitting the vagus nerve can cause a KO, but it’s not a convenient target if their guard is remotely protecting their head.

Now that you mention it I have been hit there by a wayward kick and it did make me go very light headed and IIRC kenny florian used to mention being happy to throw a question mark kick and hit there rather than the dome because he didn't risk breaking his foot.