Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chad Mendes looking rough. That nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Benson Cunningham posted:

I assume that's the result of the DWCS funnel, where the UFC likely has a lot more control over incoming talent, in shaping what they see as normal, and in being able to standardize a process that makes sure new talent is paid a pittance. I don't actually know anything, that's just my guess.

that's a reasonable assertion to base on the available, observable evidence.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

that was an unbelievably good card

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Alaois posted:

Went to bed before the main, read back through the gdt when i woke up, genuinely shocked at how many people here expected Ciryl loving Gane to pose any kind of challenge to Jon Jones

So with your perfect capacity for prognostication supported by facts and logic you clearly are now independently wealthy having remortgaged your house to bet all available wealth on JJ

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gane should have stuck with his initial strategy

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FishBowlRobot posted:

Dana: Jake Gyllenhaal will never fight in the UFC again. This kid crossed one of those lines you just don’t cross.

That's probably the plot

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm pretty sure that Michael Buffer gets paid tens of thousands of dollars per fight, but Bruce likely has a different deal. I was at one event where they had a local person do every fight and then Michael announced the main event only.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I can think of 3 instances where a world title/#1 in the world spot was directly decided on a champ's failed spinning attack, and a 4th where the champ got countered on bad spinning attacks many times en route to a finish.

Can anyone think of a time where a world title/#1 spot was won or defended by a successful spinning attack?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Boco_T posted:

Googling for "spinning poo poo" tells me Renan Barao defended the interim bantam title with a spinning back kick. Didn't really see any title-level results for other promotions.

oh right he chinned Wineland with the same kick that TJ repeatedly punished him for

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

COPE 27 posted:

Weili - Jędrzejczyk was for the #1 spot wasn't it?

I guess so!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BlindSite posted:

Every time belal is mentioned I just want to say "who?" Because of his nickname.

Belal Wozzname

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Leon Edwards has an all-time-great "caught red handed but refuses to admit wrongdoing staring right in the face of the authority figure unfinchingly maintaining innocence" face. p4p all time better than anyone. He looked as surprised as anyone else when the replay of him grabbing the fence came up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"Seriously ref I didn't grab the fence it just kinda bowed in like that idk maybe colby pushed on it that was just my great wrestling."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

parthenocarpy posted:

Is there a reason Gaethje was such a betting underdog going into the Fiziev fight?

Going into that fight Gaethje didn't have any wins over currently ranked competition other than Chandler, who lots of people don't rate highly, and Oliveira and Chandler had both chinned him, and Fiziev is a better striker than any of them.

If you agree with lots of commentators that Tony had slowed down in his 2-3 fights before the Gaethje fight, there's a case to make that Fiziev is actually Gaethje's best win ever. It's definitely the second-longest UFC winning streak that Gaethje has ever broken.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Booking because "someone is a draw" is part of Dana's anti-labour exploitative approach to managing the UFC. There's no metric out there available for what constitutes "a draw," other than "Dana White personally likes this fighter," and it's not like boxing where the fighters are the ones who benefit the most financially from the big matchups to balance it out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

But where we are "a draw" is a 1:1 synonym with "Dana likes them" and it has no other meaning. He said Nate Diaz and Francis Ngannou weren't draws. It's just his excuse to make fighters he dislikes, usually non-white non-american non-anglo non-fascist fighters, in the women's divisions who aren't conventionally attractive, and who speak out for labour rights take a longer, harder path to the title, and to consolodate his power in his cult of personality.

Don't accept his logic.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

But which everyone needs

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lucasar posted:

This is great and thank you.

Small note though: Charles Oliveira is ranked twice in 155lbs. Which I'm all for.

Thanks that's a spreadsheet error which I will fix now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's really funny that he blew up his own knee to prove he's the best on the show that announced Anderson Silva's UFC HOF induction, a man who was famous for losing by submission to an upset leg lock before he went on his career-defining run.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Even though many of Anderson's title challengers could challenge Pereira, I'm pretty sure that Pereira would beat the best Anderson Silva who ever stepped into the cage even if only from a styles-make-fights standpoint.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

Anderson's wrestling defense was always his biggest weakness, so yeah, even mediocre strikers who could come in multiple times around and get hands on Anderson would score well.

However, on people who insisted on striking, I think Anderson would still completely hold up.

Agree on Adesanya. Agree on Pereira, mostly cuz he's just huge.

Whittaker I don't see Anderson having much trouble with. He was so good at laying traps and finding accurate counters. Whittaker's offensive cadence would give Anderson a lot of opportunities, and generally starting from range would give Anderson the best chance at managing down the pace of the fight.

My stance on Anderson-Pereira is mostly based on my belief that Anderson's striking style was optimized for eating up people who don't know how to strike very well and/or for opponents who engage cautiously. Pereira is neither of those things.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hell most of the posts on this page have been amazing, too.

Not mine :colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've gone from holding out hope that the UFC will start doing things right to hoping that they keep making all of the worst loving decisions and that they gently caress up their business.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tweak posted:

maybe jake paul will save us

gently caress you I'd rather drown

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Colby is 35 btw. He's barely younger than Usman. Fighters 35 and up have like a 10% win rate in title fights at 170 and lighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

While obviously intentional strikes to the back of the head/brainstem should remain illegal, do you think when a fighter is deliberately pointing the back of their head at their opponent who is fully controlling them as a form of defense, that should be considered a TKO? Like if the only thing you can do about your opponent's strikes is to point the illegal zone at the strikes, you've lost, no?

I actually believe something along these lines, though we've argued about it in this thread before: specifically, that if a fighter is choosing to remain in a submissive/defensive position in which only the rules and their opponent's discretion are protecting them from grevious bodily harm, that it should be a TKO under the basic concept of "intelligent defense." Eddie Alvarez's DQ loss in ONE is the platonic ideal of this kind of position. But if the TKO were available in that spot on that criteria, the attacking fighter would be further incentivized to avoid throwing the DQ-worthy blow.

The problem is that I've come to believe that the refs are too stupid even to follow the potato rules that they have let alone make this kind of judgment call.