Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1631048553299599364?s=20

Don't get this one for Vancouver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Hronek is good but... why

This feels like one of Vancouver's patented moves where they think they can be good next year and don't want to do a lot of building through the draft

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

Speaking of Pittsburgh, I was hoping they would be in on Quick so they could continue building one hell of a team in 2013.

Quiet you. We're going to trade every remaining asset we have until 2026 for JT Miller and Chychrun

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Ronnie striking out again

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I still think Hextall will get something done but Chychrun was what I really wanted if we were going to be shelling out high picks and prospects.

Unfortunate.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1631083129736667136?s=20

I always liked Teddy. I'll miss him

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Ron Hextall hits keep on comin

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1631091684523094019?s=20

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
fire Hextall

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Granlund is good. A second rounder is nothing for a center like that.

https://twitter.com/jmarshfof/status/1631095811349127168?s=20

?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Ron Hextall literally traded for a player with worse impacts than Carter

i'd be mad if it werent so funny

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Carver posted:

I have no idea what to think about the Penguins right now.

But i'm guessing talks with the Canucks really cooled off then.

im thinking a lot of things and none of them good

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think you Penguins fans are being a bit dramatic about getting a guy who has multiple 60+ point seasons, who was good as recently as last year, for a second rounder.

He's not gonna play on pp1, he doesn't positively affect the third line.

Just not seeing the positives right now. Hockey is random af and sometimes things work out unexpectedly but oof. Also lol that contract

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Move that 1st, Hexy

just used up all our cap space, sorry

gonna keep it and draft another Owen Pickering Sam Poulin bust

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1631106246420955136?s=20

sure why not. take a bigger dump on the franchise Ronald

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

:hmmyes:

How in the gently caress would Pittsburgh even clear cap to make that deal. Petry coming back?

Vancouver would have to take Mcginn and Petry or Pettersson I imagine. Or retain. Or some combination of that

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Penguins and Canucks fans in a competition to see who can be the most miserable about their franchise. You're not going to beat Vancouver fans, but I respect the effort from Steel City

I'm more amused than upset. The Pens have had too much success in this era for me to completely lose my mind over dumb poo poo. It sucks but whatever.

Canucks fans are living this but without the cups to show for it. I feel for them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sure but like, it's not just "this era". I was born in 1990 and in my lifetime no one has more cups than Pittsburgh. Some of the greatest NHL players of all time were Penguins in that time period. Pittsburgh is probably the most successful franchise (in terms of on-ice performance) of the last 30+ years but trading a nothing draft pick for a guy who will probably be perfectly fine sends the fanbase into histrionics

Yeah I was born in the 80s so I've had it good.

I don't think having had it good means we can't/shouldn't complain about dumb poo poo our team does though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Successfully poke checking someone is one of the most difficult things to do in hockey

At least that's the impression I got from watching Erik Gudbranson play

It's hard to poke check someone when you're too busy trying to bash their heads in

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Still hate the Granlund trade. I even would have taken JT Miller and his stupid face and stupid contract over that deal

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1631311711897542662?s=20

Seems fine for Pasta. He's really god damned good

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

And yeah, I've defended Burxstall insofar as the Pens' window is firmly closed now and it's stupid to trade draft picks for veterans now. But like everyone else I cannot comprehend the point of acquiring Mikael Granlund at all. He does absolutely nothing the Penguins need.

Just can't be arsed to give a gently caress about a mid round first right now. Hextall is gonna hang his hat on keeping that and he's gonna draft Sam Poulin or Owen Pickering 2.0

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Think about how steady Owen Pickering might be as a defender in 6 years though
just kinda standing there, being very big, crosschecking people near the net

Extremely ready for it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Really loving glad we nickel and dimed franchise legend Evgeni Malkin so that we could eventually bring in Mikael Granlund to make one million dollars less than him in cap and put out on ice impacts worse than Jeff Carter.

I hope Granlund proves me wrong but I don't think he will

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1631332669354024960?s=20

Putting two players with some of the worst on ice impacts in the NHL on the same line sure is a choice Sully

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

This is like the end of Return of the Jedi where Luke is carrying Vader to the shuttle. You don't like seeing that. You want the real villain Philadelphia Flyers, not the desiccated corpse of a once proud franchise.

like gently caress da Flyers but also I don't like seeing them like this. League is more fun when they're good and flailing to get over the final hump and get that cup

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Carver posted:

yeah I was excited to see how Granlund would end up but uh I don't think he should be toiling on the 3rd line.

I feel bad for Granlund because I feel like putting him with Carter and Heinen is just immediately putting him in the worst possible position to succeed

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/1631417263718014976?s=20

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

with what cap space?

there's no way to do money out either any more. Not unless they pay someone to take McGinn. Or do something insanely stupid like trade Pettersson

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Andreas Athanasiou - 6'2" and 190. Hm. We can do better.
Lucic (and more proof Burke isn't in charge 'cause Lucic would have been a Pen 3 years ago) - 6'3" 240. He's got the beef.
Nick Ritchie - 6'3" 236. Ya that's a beefy boi.
Sundqvist - 6'3" 220. Former Pen. Won a cup.

Yeah I'm excited for Lucic.

I know there's the lol Burke meme and all that but the players Hextall keeps acquiring are the furthest thing from Burke players so I don't know how much he's in on the decisions. I guess Petry and Rutta are some of the only exceptions to that. But Rakell, Ty Smith, and Granlund are pretty far from Burke players

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Pittsburgh Penguins

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Bonino is fine.

I don't understand how they fit him cap-wise right now though? Also lol Vancouver

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1631660855006830595?s=20

This seems pretty good. So the Pens moved out Blueger and got a third and then replaced him with basically a Blueger clone who is older but is at least a rental. And they paid a cheap price to do it.

Hextall, you did a good thing.

Now you better not be scratching DOC because of this you jerks

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wonder what "multiple high picks" for Miller meant. I can't imagine Hextall is insane enough to pay two firsts so Miller, so it was probably a first and a second and Vancouver was not going to do any retention.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

If there was a first round pick offered for Miller in any way you take it in a second that's so insane they said no.

Yeah my guess is a first and a second, and no retention. It was probably offered before the Pens picked up Granlund. If I'm not mistaken Miller's contract doesn't kick in until next year so the Pens could have actually afforded it before picking up Granlund.

Miller would have been a fun addition. The contract is forever but I wouldn't have minded that because the Pens will suck in a few years anyways and they could always flip him again with retention after Crosby and Malkin retire.

What's done is done though I guess. I wonder if the Pens will revisit this in the offseason depending on how the rest of this season plays out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

That seems like a good buy low by the Blues assuming Vrana plays again

ThinkTank posted:

Miller to his hometown team was a fun win-win scenario. They will not get another shot to trade Miller now. How did the Canucks blow that? I am in awe at the absolute idiocy management has shown. They are worse than Benning at this point. How did I have even a second of optimism?

I wouldn't completely close the door on that. If the Pens get bounced in the first round or fail to make the playoffs at all they might try to do something big in the off season.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I doubt Hextall survives another quick exit so no, that was it.

It's hard to say what the hell FSG is thinking. They haven't publicly commented on anything or even shown much of a public presence at games or otherwise.

Nobody in Pittsburgh - media or otherwise - has any idea even what their priorities are for the team. We assume that the goal is still to win now given they re-signed everyone in the off season but that's about all we have to go on. Whether they think Hextall is doing a good or bad job we have absolutely no idea.

The only bit of news we've heard about FSG's thinking at all is that they asked Hextall what his plan was (he allegedly told them he didn't have it in writing and that it was in his head :laffo: ) and they also apparently really like Mike Sullivan and were impressed with him when they met him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1631697687488626701?s=20

Lazar to da Devils

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Rumor mongers say Hextall still wants to add, though how the gently caress he can do that I simply do not know

https://twitter.com/Real_RobRossi/status/1631699235606528003?s=20

He would have to do something insane

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1631712417334935553?s=20

Malkin rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

The epic handshake meme but with the Flyers and Penguins fans suffering under Hextall

Yeah but he did at least keep our first so he can draft some middling player at 21 with