Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
E: I posted a video of a Hogwarts Legacy Avada Kedavra spree but thought better of it because it really wasn't funny and actually stressed me out a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I know it would probably ruin a lot of people's "immersion" but overall I think I like games better when you can't slaughter innocent NPCs.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
E: actually not that funny

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Hello Students, this is an important announcement.
From hence forth, by decree of Republican state law, all Polyjuice ownage and usage will result in instant expulsion.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Applewhite posted:

I know it would probably ruin a lot of people's "immersion" but overall I think I like games better when you can't slaughter innocent NPCs.

:dafuq:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Radio Paranoia posted:

E: actually not that funny

Right?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
American wizarding community likes hard warlocks who make tough choices like kadavring a few orphanages to get their necromancer

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
IIRC, wizards are so far removed from their host nation its unlikely an American wizard even knows what football is, let alone how a gun even functions

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Applewhite posted:

Excuse me, but what they are doing to innocent beasts is shameful!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

ChickenHeart posted:

IIRC, wizards are so far removed from their host nation its unlikely an American wizard even knows what football is, let alone how a gun even functions

Find out with the guns-instead-of-wands mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlTRS8XqYe0

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

naem posted:

this is by far the most realistic “magic exists” scenario

although I suppose that a “gated-community/parochial school with class divisions” situation does make sense since that is a thing people do to each other

i mean the main i have with potter(outside rowling being a transphobic dickhead) is it starts out as roald dahl type kids book universe and world building(wizard did it and look at all the wacky weird poo poo) but then 4 books in goes full grim dark and never tries to make the universe fit or have the characters queastion poo poo. idk i just read non fiction and warhammer.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The world building in Harry Potter gets progressively worse as the books go on. You can tell also that in book 1, wizards were, at least initially, much more integrated with muggle society. It looked like Rowling was going for the whole "you know all those people you think are weird/eccentric? They're secretly wizards!"

Later books, from about book 3 onward, the wizards basically lived in a pocket universe and somehow lacked basic knowledge of muggle technology and society despite huge numbers of them marrying muggles who could easily just tell people like Arthur Weasley how these things work.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Applewhite posted:

Having the option for the people that want to is cool.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In book 1 for instance, we have wizards tut tutting the people wearing robes openly in public to celebrate Voldemort's downfall, implying that wizards regularly go out in public wearing plainclothes, yet in later books wizards are so unused to muggle clothes that they don't know how to dress themselves.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

sigher posted:

Having the option for the people that want to is cool.

Why?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I guess for me it depends on the game. I guess if you're playing Elder Scrolls or something and you're a thief who shanks shopkeepers rather than bother with stealth it's one thing. But forgive me if it's weird to think Hogwarts Legacy, a game for children, shouldn't make it possible for the player to slaughter a bunch of other schoolchildren.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Its a mod, bro

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Wizarding sounds cool but then you gotta wave around that little stick and it's like nah I'm good.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Its a mod, bro

Oh well that makes me feel better

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Still not gonna buy the game either way

naem
May 29, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Hello Students, this is an important announcement.
From hence forth, by decree of Republican state law, all Polyjuice ownage and usage will result in instant expulsion.

students protest in support of Fae marriage

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Applewhite posted:

The world building in Harry Potter gets progressively worse as the books go on. You can tell also that in book 1, wizards were, at least initially, much more integrated with muggle society. It looked like Rowling was going for the whole "you know all those people you think are weird/eccentric? They're secretly wizards!"

Later books, from about book 3 onward, the wizards basically lived in a pocket universe and somehow lacked basic knowledge of muggle technology and society despite huge numbers of them marrying muggles who could easily just tell people like Arthur Weasley how these things work.

Probably because muggle society is getting more and more hosed as the books progress.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
USA wizards eschew broomsticks as "commie tree-huggin' bullshit" instead prefering their iconic boomsticks: 6 foot long shotguns firing continously to blast them across across the sky. The area around popular destinations is quickly smothered in a shimmering pile of magically-excreted shell casings and gunsmoke.

They can roll coal too, somehow, but I didn't think to ask about how that works, it is magic after all and my ears were bleeding enough.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Applewhite posted:

I like the idea is that "the big indbred pure wizard families and their dickhead friends dont meet with mixed family wizards or interactic with non magic world, therfor they have no concept of what like technology is" that would be interesting to play with if rowling didnt suck poo poo.

like to me, id just write some lore about "hundreds of years ago, muggles turned on wizards and killed tons of them, so wizards self isolated and give themselves bullshit reasons why they dont, and humanity forgot about wizards and poo poo outside top levels of goverment"

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Wizarding sounds cool but then you gotta wave around that little stick and it's like nah I'm good.

apperently, if i remember correctly, you dont even need the wand, thats just like a focuser or some poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sophy Wackles posted:

Probably because muggle society is getting more and more hosed as the books progress.

LIveleak videos of people's heads exploding after someone points a stick at them.
People getting ripped apart by invisible things, not knowing what the gently caress is going on.
People laughing at the word 'muggle' as the lame insult that it is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

happyhippy posted:

LIveleak videos of people's heads exploding after someone points a stick at them.
People getting ripped apart by invisible things, not knowing what the gently caress is going on.
People laughing at the word 'muggle' as the lame insult that it is.

yeah, its just rich wizards going to the global south to kill muggles for or some sorta "prank show",

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 2, 2023

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

kntfkr posted:

i got an idea.

let's not talk about harry potter instead of talking about it

that's like saying we shouldn't talk about hitler because he made freeways without speed limits and people get killed by speeding all the time. what a dumb argument.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Applewhite posted:

It makes more sense when you realize purebred Wizards are heavily inbred.

What I never got is how there was material poverty in wizard society when any ol' rear end in a top hat can create/transmute/copy/steal whatever they want with a basic K-12 education. Enchanted/Magical stuff? Sure. Only so many unicorns and wizards who know how to turn those into wands or whatever to go around. But mundane items should be trivially sourced by even a half decent wizard, why are the Weazleys broke as gently caress half the series and a bunch of other wizards living in poverty conditions?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Still not gonna buy the game either way

It's a good game.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Smugworth posted:

Will somebody please teach me the "Dongus Engorgius Maxima" spell

Bump

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Deki posted:

What I never got is how there was material poverty in wizard society when any ol' rear end in a top hat can create/transmute/copy/steal whatever they want with a basic K-12 education. Enchanted/Magical stuff? Sure. Only so many unicorns and wizards who know how to turn those into wands or whatever to go around. But mundane items should be trivially sourced by even a half decent wizard, why are the Weazleys broke as gently caress half the series and a bunch of other wizards living in poverty conditions?

The same reason we do? It’s a choice of capitalism. We also could provide all of our material needs but choose not to.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

The only ideologically-acceptable videogames are Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic and Goat Simulator.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Deki posted:

This bugs the hell out of me constantly. It's canon in the books that there's an exchange rate between muggle money and wizard money. Why would a wizard ever be poor when they could just enchant an ATM to give them free money and then exchange it for wizard money.

I'm also perplexed by the people who graduate from Hogwarts and then go and become bus drivers and bartenders and poo poo. In the movies we also see a bunch of magic security guards and it's like, are all these guards Hogwarts grads? You have mastery over the fundamental forces of the universe and you become a bank guard?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Smugworth posted:

Nobody will teach me the "Dongus Engorgius Maxima" spell

It's "Dong-hardium Jizzy-Oh-Sir"

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Applewhite posted:

That's what makes games great. From Half Life to Red Dead Redemption 2.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

kntfkr posted:

That's what makes games great. From Half Life to Red Dead Redemption 2.

I amended my statement. It's context dependent.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Applewhite posted:

I'm also perplexed by the people who graduate from Hogwarts and then go and become bus drivers and bartenders and poo poo. In the movies we also see a bunch of magic security guards and it's like, are all these guards Hogwarts grads? You have mastery over the fundamental forces of the universe and you become a bank guard?

it's really hard to get hired for a good job when your degree is from an unaccredited institution like Hogwarts

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Deki posted:

What are you, some kind of wizard communist?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Applewhite posted:

The wizarding economy is pretty hosed, there's like two commercial districts in all of Britain, a comically inept government, a tabloid, and a private school as far as major employers go.

When you're too dumb for wizarding society at large or are widely known as a goatfucker, you take what jobs you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Why don't any wizards in HP have wicked staffs like Gandalf? Like lol those little wands were beyond lame. Gtfo

On a related note wizard staff is a great drinking game