Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Mr. Merdle posted:

Why don't any wizards in HP have wicked staffs like Gandalf? Like lol those little wands were beyond lame. Gtfo

“This is my staff, this is my wand. One is for fighting, one is for fun!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Deki posted:

The wizarding economy is pretty hosed, there's like two commercial districts in all of Britain, a comically inept government, a tabloid, and a private school as far as major employers go.

Ok but what about the wizarding economy?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I don't think they had a shooting, but Brakebills got attacked by a dude just called The Beast over and over because of a time loop and the Dean knew what happened every loop and was just like "Well, the person controlling the loop is dead, so if The Beast kills this annoying kid again, he's never coming back to reference Groundhog Day, so that's a win."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

Ok but what about the wizarding economy?

85% of GDP was selling Weasley potential death trap pranks

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

No, I don't care about American Wizarding Schools. I wanna see Australian Wizard Schools.

Australian wizard school ended up closing down when it was realised that no one, including the sorting hat, actually knew whether C-word House was for the evil kids or the brave ones everybody likes. Also, just bluntly naming their version of Hufflepuff 'Useless C-word House' was a poor marketing choice in retrospect.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

just finished my online course and am now MAGIC CARPET CERTIFIED BAYBEEEEEEEE

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

SatansOnion posted:

just finished my online course and am now MAGIC CARPET CERTIFIED BAYBEEEEEEEE

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Deki posted:

What I never got is how there was material poverty in wizard society when any ol' rear end in a top hat can create/transmute/copy/steal whatever they want with a basic K-12 education.

it’s the same reason anyone is poor in real life, they simply have chosen to be poor. they’ve got bootstraps like everyone else!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
A lot of people will say that, while Rowling's writing isn't exactly finessed or exemplary, the world building is great. I offer a counterpoint: no.

Any sort of world you design for a setting that falls apart the moment you actually think about any of it, not even the important big things, is actually bad.

Also you know American wizard schools would still ban Kinder Surprises.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

There are no wizard schools in america because americans are too retarded op hth

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I played the Quiddich videogame (or maybe a Quiddich videogame, there's probably a lot and I don't remember the exact name), and the American team wore red and white stripes. Bit of a hybrid American Flag/Wicked Witch of the East thing going on there. All in all there was a very Halloween theme to the American stuff on display in that game.

So, to answer OP's question, the American wizarding scene is just Mall Goths top to bottom, and Mall Goths are usually pretty chill (or at least prefer freaking out the normies by being quirky to actual violence).

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The America Wizarding school just banned CRT

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

syntaxfunction posted:

A lot of people will say that, while Rowling's writing isn't exactly finessed or exemplary, the world building is great. I offer a counterpoint: no.

Any sort of world you design for a setting that falls apart the moment you actually think about any of it, not even the important big things, is actually bad.

Also you know American wizard schools would still ban Kinder Surprises.

There are people who think Rowling's worldbuilding is great?????

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The America Wizarding school just banned CRT

"All references to 'evil magic' in your textbooks have been reverted back to their pre 1964 phraseology: 'Black Magic.'"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

child soldier wars

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
The American wizard school implements gender neutral bathrooms so Rowling writes a scene where she yells at their school board personally.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Everyone itt right now is missing out on how american wizard school would obviously eschew inferior euro-wizardry and stick with the home grown stuff.

And just what fills the pages of the good ol’ USA’s national grimoire? Satanism, Necromancy, Ecofeminism, and Hillbilly Sorcery.

So not only would we have school shootings but the curriculum would be rather different as well.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

I think most of those were already implied when I said American witches are, canonically, really into Halloween.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA-ayM5I4Jw
I think this answers all the questions.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 6, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

happyhippy posted:

85% of GDP was selling Weasley potential death trap pranks

Its kinda funny that there was already a prank shop in the HP universe that sold poo poo like an acid lollypop that dissolves your face and candy that causes your balls to explode.

And then the Weasley boys were like "That's bitchmade poo poo, lets show you how it's done". And then were wildly successful because wizards are sociopaths.

Mr.Acula posted:

There are no wizard schools in america because americans are too retarded op hth

We're dumb as gently caress but we're not Upper class Brit dumb.

American wizards probably just send their kids to normal private schools because you don't need a drat 12 year program to teach your kid to repeat lovely faux latin words.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Deki posted:

American wizards probably just send their kids to normal private schools because you don't need a drat 12 year program to teach your kid to repeat lovely faux latin words.

Chad McChadderton: "My daddy bought a wing for this university"
Headmaster Plimpore: "FIVE POINTS HOUSE MCCHADDERTON"

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Harry Potter meets Van Wilder coming soon to HBOmax

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

do they do wizard drugs at wizard art school???

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

Yes, I think they smoke goblin pubes in one of the books to get high

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wizard jenkem, they already poo poo wherever they want it's only a simple extra step

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I wrote this thing a few years ago where it's Harry Potter has graduated wizard school, lives in Hoboken and works for Goldman Sachs and he's married to Hermione and she leaves for some sort of extended wizard thing and he forgets his wand in a subway locker in Grand Central Station and relapses into a chemsex bender and he winds up contracting HIV and has to start taking pills for it and he has to come clean to her miney when she gets back and it ends before you find out if she leaves him or not.

I've never read Harry Potter but I'm willing to bet my version has more meth and cum in it.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i dont know poo poo about american wizards OP but didnt they have to change the name of the first book because they thought americans were too dumb to understand "philosophers stone"

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
loving they

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
"Musta left me wand on the tube, innit? Bollocks!" ~ Harry Potter

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i dont know poo poo about american wizards OP but didnt they have to change the name of the first book because they thought americans were too dumb to understand "philosophers stone"

Dicksucka's Stone

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

no wonder everyone wanted that stone so bad if it suck your dick

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

numberoneposter posted:

After that many years of Herbology classes, only the lamest loving wizards wouldn't do wizard drugs

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
fentanyl is a real problem in wizard school

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Big plot hole: where did hogwarts students learn like, regular spells? They had potions, astronomy, fortune telling, zoology etc. but no department for just the regular spells they'd always use.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the folding laundry spell

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The wizard preschool duh

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

numberoneposter posted:

the folding laundry spell

Aka: one of the most brutal killing spells if you cast it at clothing that someone is wearing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pekinduck posted:

Big plot hole: where did hogwarts students learn like, regular spells? They had potions, astronomy, fortune telling, zoology etc. but no department for just the regular spells they'd always use.

Charms and Transfiguration class.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Ah no wonder it was never mentioned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Charms and Transfiguration class.

Forgot about charms. Fair enough.