Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

What is blue protocol:

Blue protocol is an upcoming Japanese MMORPG from bandai namco, it will be on PC through steam, Xbox and PS5. No word on cross play. The game will be free to play and published by Amazon games in the west. This is a heavily story driven, pve focused mmo with voice acted cutscenes.

The most striking feature is the hentai anime style graphics. The game will feature an action combat system with dungeons and raids. The games music is done by Hiroyuki Sawano who is responsible for what you hear in Attack on Titan, so it's pretty good. It's looking like this might be a chill fun mmo.

The game will have a cash shop and a battle pass, which I think is fair for a free to play game. They won't have pvp at launch so pay to win won't be an issue for now.

You can sign up for the English Beta on the official website now, and they'll email you about dates when the beta is happening:
https://www.playblueprotocol.com/en-us

Trailers:

The game awards trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQPAWiVrfYA

Welcome to Regnas trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTKOTBxjAr0

Gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p7o65CbqUc

Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5BlYpH8OOQ&t=134s

They made an anime intro just like that one on the telly:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GGJikqsYn9s

The story:

The world is called Regnas, there's some bad poo poo happening and it's up to the player to fix it. Time travel is involved. There are bad guys. Things happen. I don't know to be honest. Here's some snippets from the website:

Character creation:

You will be able to to create a character, the classes aren't gender locked so you can make whatever you want.

The character creator has been recently released for the Japanese version, I'm pretty sure this is bare bones and will be improved upon in time but I didn't think it was too bad. You will also be able to customize your character in game, and will be able to rework them if you want to.

The character creator released is part of their benchmark software, which runs through a few cutscenes with your created character in order to see how well your PC will run the game. It is in Japanese so I'll run through how to download it now if you want to try it.

First you'll have to click this link:

https://blue-protocol.com/download/benchmark

At the bottom is a download button, hit that.

Then you'll have to extract the files. Open them and hit the setup icon in the folder. This will install the software into your program files folder. So go in there, and click the launcher icon. When you've done that, you'll be met with this:

You'll want those bottom three buttons, the left is the character creator, the right is the benchmark test which runs through some in game footage, and the box on the right removes the overlay from the benchmark test if you want to. You should create a character first and then it'll show up in the test and you can get your results :)

Classes

There are 5 classes in the game, and you'll be able to switch between the classes on the same character. There isn't really the tank/dps/healer trio in game, some classes are more dps or support orientated but all classes can deal damage and heal depending on what you'd have equipped. The classes have different names in the US compared to Japan and are as follows:

Aegis fighter (JP) Blade Warden (US)

Sword and shield guy, has a block meter and can block with the shield until taking a certain amount of damage. Take too much and your shield will break.

Twin Striker (JP) Twin Striker (US)

Two axes, has a combo meter, when you hit the enemy you will build up the combo meter which adds a percentage of damage on top of what you already do.

Blast Archer (JP) Keen Strider (US) Whoever came up with the name "Keen Strider", give him a promotion, just fantastic work.

Has a bow, hitting enemies charges up a meter which can be used in increments to do aoe healing to party.

Spell caster (JP) Spell Weaver (US)

These guys have a mana bar which will need to be charged up to use spells.

Heavy smasher (JP) Foe Breaker (US)

This guy has an ammo meter, abilities cost ammo and once gone you will need to reload.

This video is a good rundown of each class and how they work:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JNxHFsXpdIY

Echoes

There is a pokemon style creature summoning system in the game and these creatures are referred to as echoes in the US version and Imajin in the Japanese version. There seems to be a poo poo ton of these that all have different uses and effects. Gotta catch em all.

You can equip two at a time and these work like abilities on cool down. These can be acquired from killing world bosses and by crafting at a special shop in the main town, or from quests.

There are three types of Echoes

Battle Echoes - You can have two of these at any time and bring them out in combat, they will appear only briefly though. They will either attack the enemy, heal you or buff one of your stats depending on which echoes you pick. After that they will disappear and go on cool down. This should be a fun system and allow for flexible build customization, as any class can equip any echoes.

Mount Echoes - Mounts in this game appear the same way the battle echoes do, you summon the mount from some blue light magic, jump on and away you go. The mounts have a dash meter which is draining while you sprint, you can only go so far before you'll have to slow down to let your stamina recharge. So far they've shown off a fox mount and a horse style mount.

Enhance Echoes - These are basically the armor of the game, you have 5 slots where you can equip enhance echoes and each slot will buff a certain stat I believe.

Skills

Each class gets access to 4 abilities slots that you can choose and one ultimate which is class locked, it might be changeable I'm not sure from what I've seen. The skill trees have a bit of customization, so two people that are the same class won't be exactly the same. Here's what the skill tree for Aegis fighter/Blade Warden looks like in Japanese:

The Elemental system

The weapons can have various element types and do elemental damage which will change the visuals of the weapon during attacks, and also just the look of the weapon. The element types are Fire, Ice, Earth, Wind, Light and Dark. Enemies that are hit with these weapons will have negative status effects put on them. And continued attacking with a certain element will build up an elemental burst, which will set off an effect once filled. For example, using the ice sword will slow an enemy, and continued use will build up an elemental burst which will freeze the enemy for a time when the burst goes off. Here is a list of the effects that each element does:

These effects will work on levels, level 1-2 will inflict these effects and when you hit level 3, the following Burst effects will do their thing:

I'll add some more info in a bit

Bar Patron fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
A MMO that has more complex movement than a MUD, isn’t grungy looking, and knows better than to chase the PvP dragon. Figured it needs some catch to all that, but at least AGS isn’t close enough to gently caress it up too badly.

Any word on the economy/crafting?

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

It seems weapon crafting is going to be the main way you get new weapons, they can have different elements, and different procs based on RNG I believe. You can also craft little pokemon type creatures to help you in battle which briefly come out and attack or heal or buff you.

The gathering is done by picking stuff up off the floor it seems. So not as interesting as say, new world, where you could chop down the trees. This has little glowing markers around that you can pick up for items, as well as getting them from mobs and rewards. They've also said they are going to add life skills, like cooking. And they've added fishing already. And with that you'll probably be able to make something that buffs you.

I believe they aren't going to have an auction house or trading. So not sure how that's going to work. The economy might just not exist, and all your progression will come through crafting. But I'm not sure on that. At some point I'll have a better look and maybe add some info to turn the OP into a useful post.

Bar Patron fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 2, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Ready to be disappointed by another anime-esque game under the watchful eyes of AGS yet again! Please keep me posted.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Jossar posted:

Ready to be disappointed by another anime-esque game under the watchful eyes of AGS yet again! Please keep me posted.

Nah mate, lower those defenses. This is the one that will bring back the good old days, this game will fill our lives with peace and contentment until the day we die. It will cure diarrhea and get america out of debt. Sure, sometimes mmos have failed and people are skeptical of the hype train, but this time things are different! Probably!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Honestly as long I don't have to trawl public lobbies for raids on 6 different characters with this one, it should be fine. Although Lost Ark was instrumental in showing that AGS will somehow find a way to steward the game in the most annoying but still technically serviceable manner possible.

As for actually productive discussion - not sure how to feel about the fact that there's a lot of support flex but no dedicated support class. Or I guess that the closest to it is the Archer from what I was seeing in the video?

Jossar fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 3, 2023

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Yeah, from what I've seen of this game people keep saying there are no dedicated dps/tank/healer classes. But I dunno, it seems to me the guy with the shield who can taunt people is the tank, the twin axe guy who gets increased damage from hitting stuff is a dps, and the archer is going to be the better support class seeing as you get aoe heals you can use from hitting the enemy, and can run other aoe healing abilities.

I suppose if there's a difficult raid or dungeon, running in there with a bunch of axe guys might mean you wipe out due to not having an archer to heal.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
So when is this savior of the MMO space that will bring us all back to when we were 20 and had free time and the world was good going to actually come out? I can't find anything solid on a release date from some quick looking.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

shimmy shimmy posted:

So when is this savior of the MMO space that will bring us all back to when we were 20 and had free time and the world was good going to actually come out? I can't find anything solid on a release date from some quick looking.

Blue Protocol FAQ posted:

Blue Protocol will be available to download for free in the second half of 2023.

So stay aware, but don't wait up.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

You can sign up for the beta now on their site https://www.playblueprotocol.com/en-us

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

doomisland posted:

You can sign up for the beta now on their site https://www.playblueprotocol.com/en-us

Thanks for this, I've added this link to the beginning of the OP.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Is anybody playing the beta right now? Is it good?

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

The beta is only for the Japanese version :japan: so I haven't bothered. Folks should be uploading videos to YouTube in the next few days after they're done with the beta. Looks like they've fixed the mount system, they can be ridden indefinitely now. They have a stamina bar which recharges after sprinting, rather than sprinting furiously until they're all puckered out.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
They haven't updated their website yet, but apparently the devs just announced during a live stream that the western release has been delayed to 2024

Kale
May 14, 2010

This is pure speculation, but it kind of seems a bit like a Japanese publisher is doing that thing again that I've noticed a pattern of, where they're bringing to many cooks into the kitchen ahead of launching a game and introducing copyright snaggles and the regional locking comes with it. In this case it might be by cutting in L'Arc En Ciel, Hiroyuki Sawano and their music rights holders Sony Music Japan in on some theme songs and then suddenly Amazon Games on global publishing and thus having to sort it all out between the various companies who gets dibs on what regions profit sharings, and where x y and z songs are allowed to be played etc.

That would be my guess as to why they kind of seem to be screwing things up a bit with regard to people's expectations on a simultaneous global release after what seems like an unusually long and delayed development cycle already. I would not be shocked if the game comes out eventually in the West and they have to change up some sort of music theme or another that they just cannot sort the rights out on. It doesn't happen as often as it used to, but tends to sometimes when some 3rd party overseas publisher cannot get the usage rights transferred over to them.

Seriously though I feel like FFXIV was announced, bombed it's original version and was revamped into what it is now in less time than it took for Bandai Namco to get this game out in just Japan. I really think they made a huge mistake overcomplicating things by cutting Amazon Games into things instead of just hiking up their socks as a multinational with billions in annual revenue and doing the whole thing themselves.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

I'm sure they'll have Sawano in the western version, his name on the music as well as the art style are basically the main draw for the game. We'll see though. I think you're right about too many cooks in the kitchen, Bandai should have just done it themselves. I've heard since Amazon is publishing Throne and Liberty its possible they want to delay Blue Protocol so it doesn't overlap with T&L. Which I guess is fine because Throne and Liberty is going to be just a massive success and a great game I'm sure, we probably won't be able to pull ourselves away for blue protocol.

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!
I swear the artwork in this game reminds me so much of the 'Tales' games. The combat seems really similar to that as well. Is this an MMO version of a Tales game?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

It is a Bandai Namco game, don't they make the Tales games too?

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Yeah they're similar, haven't played the tales games, but they're both made by bamco. It's not connected to the tales games though.

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!
I heard the game released in Japan recently. Is that true? Hard to find out info about this game.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Wyrmthang posted:

I heard the game released in Japan recently. Is that true? Hard to find out info about this game.

Not yet, couple of days. Should be June 14 in Japan.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Game is out in Japan now :toot: This annoying guy did a guide on how to play it using a vpn if you wanted to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fNMyFC6_xE

Too much effort for me though.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

He also released a follow up video earlier today here.

Opening words are: "Blue Protocol is a good MMORPG... it's not the best MMORPG. It's not groundbreaking, it's not innovative, and I'm gonna go ahead here and talk about why that is."

Most of the video was just complaining about standard MMO problems (a cash shop exists, mobs don't have 100% drop rates on quest items), before pivoting back to "but despite all of that, I'm having a good time, although it doesn't do anything really new."

Which uh... I guess? But show, don't tell, buddy.

(He did get the opportunity to grief random players on the map by luring a world boss though.)

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Yeah previous videos of his were him sucking this game off for exceeding his expectations, now he's got swear words for the developers even though he said nothing's changed. He's like an AI program or something that spits out stuff about mmos. I did see that you can lure mobs to other players, apparently the entrance to the 20 player raid is next to a cliff, so 19 people waiting for the raid to start can get knocked off if someone lures a goat over there. Brilliant.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Bar Patron posted:

Yeah previous videos of his were him sucking this game off for exceeding his expectations, now he's got swear words for the developers even though he said nothing's changed. He's like an AI program or something that spits out stuff about mmos. I did see that you can lure mobs to other players, apparently the entrance to the 20 player raid is next to a cliff, so 19 people waiting for the raid to start can get knocked off if someone lures a goat over there. Brilliant.

He probably is using AI. His videos are always the most insane click-baity copy/paste drek. I can't stand the guy, but I'm starved for MMO content so I watch it anyway.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
Tried it for a few days using Mudfish but got IP banned anyways. Was pretty bummed out when the first dungeon in a group was just everyone rushing until the game made them stop a few times before wailing on a boss and leaving in <10 minutes. World was kinda bland and the action combat felt years behind what KMMOs have done. Maybe a higher level gameplay loop is more satisfying, but found it pretty unremarkable myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Amazon is running a short technical test so if you signed up for NA beta on an infrequently checked email or folder go check it I guess.