Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Problem description: I built a new PC, and it seemed stable but I would come back to it after a period of non-use and find that it had rebooted. Looking at the event log, I'm seeing Driver Power State Failure errors. Eventually I finally had two of these BSOD occur while using it, once while Zoom and my web browser were open, the second while my web browser and maybe Open Office were open; but I did not see a specific driver listed as the problem in the brief time that the BSOD was up before the system rebooted. The failures do not occur at any specific time relative to starting up the machine, or during any specific, repeatable task or event (like plugging in an external drive or opening a particular program), and they have occurred both when software is running and when nothing is running. The failures usually occur hours after I boot and when I have walked away, but the two BSOD that occurred when I was using the computer happened at least one hour after the computer was booted.

I also have a problem that the USB 3.2 Gen2x2 Type-C on the front panel of my case doesn't work, but I thought that might have been an issue with the case front panel, now I'm not so sure.

Attempted fixes: I googled and there are a bunch of articles that all say the same things, which I have tried, including updating drivers and changing system power settings. The articles suggest removing the offending hardware/driver but that advice seems based on knowing which hardware/driver to roll back/uninstall, which I don't know. I also ran memtest, prime95, furmark, and cinebench, and I got no errors from those programs. The system was stable for 2 passes of memtest, which ran at least 8 hours. I'm attaching a sample of one of the errors from the Event Viewer.

Recent changes: This is a completely new build, everything is a new installation, and I updated the drivers/BIOS on everything first thing, and the only driver changes I've made recently were attempted fixes for the issue.

--

Operating system: Windows 11

System specs:
Ryzen 9 7950x
Asrock Taichi B650E mobo
RTX 3070 FE
RTX 3060ti FE
128 GB G.Skill RipJaws S5 Series DDR5 5600 CL30-36-36-89 1.25V Dual Channel Desktop Memory
EVGA Supernova 1200 P3, 1200W
Western Digital SN850X NVMe boot drive
Western Digital 10TB WD Red Pro NAS WD102KFBX storage drive

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If you're on the latest motherboard BIOS and W11 is fully updated then I'd run https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php and see if it finds any issues. If it doesn't then I'd disconnect the GPUs and use onboard video temporarily and see if things become stable.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Zogo posted:

If you're on the latest motherboard BIOS and W11 is fully updated then I'd run https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php and see if it finds any issues. If it doesn't then I'd disconnect the GPUs and use onboard video temporarily and see if things become stable.

Is there a specific test I should be running inside HD sentinel? There seem to be a few tests- random seek, surface test- or should I just run through everything?

Also, when disconnecting the GPUs, is it okay to leave them in the slots and just disconnect the power cables, or do you mean fully remove them from the board?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Those drives look okay.

Listerine posted:

Also, when disconnecting the GPUs, is it okay to leave them in the slots and just disconnect the power cables, or do you mean fully remove them from the board?

It's a case-by-case thing. Usually unplugging the power cables is enough but sometimes the motherboard will still detect the video cards and won't boot. Then you might have to change settings in the BIOS to use onboard video. If all else fails then fully remove them.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
So I've removed the video cards and I'm running the system to see if it will be stable, it's too early to tell but while I was in there I found that a cable to a front panel USB port wasn't fully seated, so I pushed it the last little bit. Could a slightly unseated cable cause a Driver Power State Failure error?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Zogo posted:

If it doesn't then I'd disconnect the GPUs and use onboard video temporarily and see if things become stable.

I'm still getting blue screen crashes with onboard video.

Any ideas?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Listerine posted:

I'm still getting blue screen crashes with onboard video.

Any ideas?

Are you on the motherboard BIOS 1.18 that was released on March 3rd?

You ran memtest and passed but you could try one stick of RAM temporarily (and swapping them out). Passing memtest isn't a 100% guarantee that the RAM is okay. You could also disconnect the storage drive to isolate the issue slightly more.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Zogo posted:

Are you on the motherboard BIOS 1.18 that was released on March 3rd?

I am not, should I update? I updated the BIOS to the most current version when I put the computer together over a month ago, I think it was either late Jan or early Feb.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Listerine posted:

I am not, should I update? I updated the BIOS to the most current version when I put the computer together over a month ago, I think it was either late Jan or early Feb.

Yeah, it's possible that could fix the issue.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Zogo posted:

Man I hope so, I'll do that next, not looking forward to wrestling with this CPU cooler to swap RAM stick after stick.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Zogo posted:

Updated the BIOS, still got crashes.

Narrowed the problem to the 10 TB HDD storage drive. When this drive is disconnected, the system is stable; when I plug it back in, it goes back to crashing ~1/day.

The drive reads/writes okay, I moved about 1 TB of files onto it and accessed it just fine for weeks. The crashes aren't associated with accessing the drive, as many times it would blue screen when I was away and the computer was sitting idle. I guess my remaining question if this is likely to be a hardware issue- bad drive? bad mobo/SATA port?- or is it an issue with Windows 11 trying to communicate/operate the drive, and if there's a setting somewhere that should be changed?

I added a second 2TB SSD to an NVME slot, and the system continues to be stable, so it doesn't seem to be a problem inherent to having more than one drive plugged in. Next step is cycling the storage drive through other SATA ports to see if it's always a problem or just when I have it in the SATA1 port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Listerine posted:

I guess my remaining question if this is likely to be a hardware issue- bad drive? bad mobo/SATA port?- or is it an issue with Windows 11 trying to communicate/operate the drive, and if there's a setting somewhere that should be changed?

Yeah, it's likely to be a hardware issue rather than a W11 issue.

Drive failure or a bad SATA cable are more common than SATA port or PSU power cable issues in my experience.