Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

GramCracker posted:

what timeline are we living in where it looks as though fernando might have correctly timed jumped teams? :ohdear: not complaining, just don't want to get my hopes up

why don't we wait til qualifying before we start crowning aston fartin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

GramCracker posted:

i'm just crowing fernando, let me live a tiny bit

i just don't want you to get your hopes up.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Bip Roberts posted:

So why don't they put a sprint on the first race on the year, this is the only time a sprint isn't too much racing that just screws up qualifying.

At Bahrain? Do we need two races in the weekend that the grid finishes in the order they started in?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

I remember everyone getting hype about force India the year they were the pink Mercedes too.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

HampHamp posted:

I can say, because I work there! The new facility should be ready for around June i think. I'm only a lowly cnc programmer so the car being good won't have much to do with me.

As for the car itself, we're hoping for some improvements over last year but keeping our expectations in check. The higher ups do seem quite happy with it so fingers crossed we do a bit better than last year!

Hey gently caress you. Sincerely, a lowly CNC programmer who makes boring parts for a boring industry.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

HampHamp posted:

The vast majority of the parts I make are boring! I'm glad I get to do the milling stuff at least, even in F1 lathe work is boring as poo poo

That's too bad. Mostly titanium or do you get some oddball materials? I toyed with the idea of moving and trying to get a job with Haas, but I hate Haas machines and I'd probably have to take a paycut. It would be fun to watch a race and see something fail, and then start questioning if I hosed up though.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

HampHamp posted:

I make a lot of stuff for wind tunnel testing so mostly aluminium, most of the car parts are Titanium though. Oh yeah I did have to switch from mostly mazaks over to a few machines with Heidenhain controls, and I loving despise them. People who've used them for years seem to like them but I think they're shite.

E: I did make some bits from tungsten last week, think they were ballast for one of the wings. Not much fun to machine, that stuff

Yeah I'm a Mazak guy. I think McLaren has a partnership with them so they probably have some Mazaks there. What the hell do you cut tungsten with lol.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

HampHamp posted:

Anxiety, mainly

Serious answer - just good quality carbides, we didn't end up getting special tooling in as we don't machine tungsten very much. It demolishes tools as its super abrasive, hopefully we won't be doing much of it in the future! They usually get wire eroded but we needed them quickly so had to chuck them on a cnc.

E: apologies for cluttering the thread up with machining talk, hope it's ok

Sounds like a party. Don't worry, this is the worst thread. It spends pages talking about bad reality shows and air fryers. It has nowhere to go but up.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

KittenCaboodle posted:

Yes please, Papaya Bois isn't the same without Danny Ric

Because they have two good drivers now?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Barely a second covering the gap from first to 20th.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Q3 is gonna be wild lol

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

As soon as Crofty starts talking about stats to hype up an Alonso pole poo poo starts to look normal again.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

BWT is probably the worst thing to ever happen to race car liveries.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Why are they talking to Zac Brown? I'd like to hear from some people in the qualifying session.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Haas has always been best of the rest, they just needed a driver like hulkenberg to get the best out of the car.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Lol you can see how bad the cars bounce because the rubber is all spotty in the braking zone

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

You can paint a force India green but it's still a force India

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Booooooooo

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Leclerc already getting into the vodka

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

kronix posted:

lol Piastri’s fuckery ended up with him in a slower car.

I've been saying he's the next Alonso and this is a good sign.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

ilmucche posted:

There's like a while discord of goons posting about F1. Why not post here instead??

The mods here will draw lines on bigotry towards the Dutch.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Zedd posted:

Randomly going back to old threads did make me find this gem:

In their defense, a team did nail the regs Newey style. It just wasn't Merc, it was the team that actually employs Newey. Which seems obvious in hindsight.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

It's lights out and away we g-

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Checos season started a little bit later than everyone else's.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

If Sargeant passes Lando straight up I'm going to die laughing.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Piastri seems to be losing ground to hulkenberg in a haas with a broken wing. Holy poo poo McLaren.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

The FIA should force red bull to fire checo and replace him with rosberg.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Lewis Hamiltons name on the screen as we see the onboard for George Russell.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

That line Alonso took from the end of the straight was amazing.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Shoulda stayed at alpine, Oscar.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

We go now to the man standing on top of the dumpster fire, zac brown. Zac, what the gently caress bro?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

McLerrari

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

The fight is on for 18th place. Go get em Lando.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

That's P18 Lando. P18. Great work.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Ocon gonna finish behind piastri at this rate.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

If only Ferrari and red bull didn't exist. Looks like the Merc and Aston Martin are gonna have some good fights.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Quite a fight between ocon and Lando for 19th.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

They're gonna keep Alonso out until they know he'll come out behind stroll lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

His tires are gonna be dead. Get him Alonso.