Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'd prefer we get to the actual races before Ferraris start falling apart and their pitwall makes questionable strategy decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Season 5 of DTS has a lot of 1000 yard stares out of Ferrari that would make pretty good memes. For that reason alone it's much better than Season 4.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Dictator. posted:

Didn't peg Lewis for a skier

He literally lives in a ski resort town in Colorado in the winter.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Mercedes tried that in the back half of 2021, and it kinda worked out for them.

It's basically what Red Bull did with Max last year.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

:lol: that Perez is half a second faster than Alonso. It's going to be a fun 10 laps until Max is back in first.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its even more impressive when you realize that Perez didn't get DRS from every other driver - and Max got helped by 2 safety cars.

If anything the timing of the safety car was unlucky for Max as it allowed both Russell and Alonso to pit and come out still ahead. If Max was running P2, or possibly even P3 when the Safety Car came out he would have won the race.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Personal Lucubrant posted:

¿Porque no los dos?

Maybe Mercedes would have half a chance if they could form a DRS train I'm guessing. Personally I think it would just be even more embarrassing.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Mercedes is the new Ferrari.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Anime Store Adventure posted:

My dude did you see Ferrari earlier

Nobody said Ferrari was going to give up the title without a fight.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Did the rear suspension break on the Haas there? Could have sworn it looked like it going over curb.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Definitely what they should have done in Abu Dhabi.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I rescind my previous comment. Ferrari is the new Ferrari.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I don’t know that I’d call “getting a 3 second gap in about 4 laps and then just cruising” sandbagging, but ok George.

I was curious about it after the race, and Max went from half a second back from Hamilton to 2 seconds ahead in one lap, then picked up 2-3 tenths a lap from there on.

I think it's a pretty fair theory that Red Bull weren't working particularly hard on Sunday, and the car has a lot more pace when wanted.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

toadee posted:

Max had DRS for the full zone right after passing, and Lewis didn't. The delta between RB and Merc with RB DRS open and Merc closed was 36 kph, with both closed it's iirc 7 kph. Almost all of that 2 seconds was in the window where Max's car was like almost 20% faster in a straight line.
That same lap he was over a full second faster than everyone. The next fastest car was Russell who was in DRS range behind Gasly the entire lap. Gasly at least started the lap in DRS range of Alonso.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

What's fun is that whole fiasco caused Ferrari to abandon the light system and go back to using the lollipop for pit stops. But then a few years later everyone was using a light system.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Sainz should know it's a 5 second penalty, because that's the penalty given to Russell for doing that poo poo to Sainz at COTA last year.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

Reviews are mixed, is it any fun?

Mixed is about right. The game is too easy and the interface too clunky to be taken seriously as a management sim. Actual gameplay is pretty repetitive and boring, until you get in a race with changing weather conditions or safety car periods, when it becomes pretty fun.

Most of the major issues at launch have been patches out by now.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

easy to be chill when your car is so much faster than the next fastest team that you have to hold back otherwise the FIA will make new rules to nerf your car, while still winning by over 20 seconds

But enough about Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes run.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

So what happens to Leclerc on Sunday?

A. Ferrari reliability
B. Ferrari strategy
C. Ferrari pit stop
D. Throws it into a wall.
E. Strategy J, question?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

How does Parc ferme work with this format? Are teams only allowed to change their setup after FP1?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Sunk Dunk posted:

seems like a dumbass because a lot of people that watch on tv would like to go to a race some day

The race promoter has to pay F1 whether or not anyone shows up.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I will say this for Will Buxton, Dan Marino Grand Prix is a good pun.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I don't get the point of driving like a dickhead into turn 1 with a car you aren't competing with. George's only hope of making that pass stick past DRS activation is if he crashed Max out there. If Mercedes can manage to show up to a race weekend with a car that isn't a trash can I might be willing to hear him out.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

you're basically saying if your car is slower then you don't get to try overtaking a faster car? might as well just only have qualy in that case

I would say if you 7 to 8 tenths a lap slower than a car you ain't in a race with them. And it's pretty common in F1 that slower cars don't want to get tangled up with faster cars and compromise their own race.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Dictator. posted:

We’re also “only” in year 2 of the current RB dominance, after 8 consecutive Mercedes WCCs

TBF we had 4 consecutive years of Red Bull WCCs before that. So 2 constructors have won the last 14 WCCs. 4 drivers have won the last 14 WDCs, and one of them only won once.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Sunk Dunk posted:

didnt he win formula e or something (the EXTREMELY slow cars)

He won Formula 2 as well

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Guys like Kubica and Webber were freakishly large for F1 drivers and could barely fit in the cars.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Did Ocon get held up behind Magnussen or someone else still farting around on slicks? How the hell did Aston manage to pit twice and still keep 2nd?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

TheBacon posted:

Ocon was more than a pit behind and also had to pit for inters

I think what I don't understand is that by the time everyone went inters it was at least questionable if it should be full wets, and a number of cars did indeed put wets on. Alonso should have lost a lot of time doing an extra lap on slicks. Sainz stayed on slicks and skidded off the track. Russell drove off the track on inters, so that took the two of them out of it. But I don't get what happened to Ocon and Hamilton that they were so slow after they put the inters on.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

The wheels?

With no tires it's impossible for the pitwall to make a bad strategy decision. Genius stuff really.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I really don't get the stewards decision with Russell on turn one. He only got past Piastri because he went off track.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Alonso only won a championship in a cheaty car, that's all you need to know

I like him and all but he was the OG fraud

People thought that Perez might be decent because he looked okay in a pink Mercedes. Now they think Alonso isn't washed because he's third in a green Red Bull.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Are there any teammates that like each other or is that just not really compatible with the kind of people that make it to this level? I just finished the S2 episode about LeClerc and Vettel.

If you aren't consistently beating your teammate you are at risk of being replaced, so Formula 1 in general isn't really conducive to teammates having good relations. As long as they aren't getting into fist fights in pit lane or intentionally crashing each other on track, things are probably about as good as you can hope for. By and large most of the drivers seem to get along with each other off the track.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Is she blind? One of them clearly wears glasses.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Yuki is having one today.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

ilmucche posted:

is the wall of champions still a shadow of its former self ?

Logan Sargeant is definitely going to hit it, so no, it is still in it's full glory.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Three impeding incidents in one day for Sainz.

Correction, three impeding incidents so far.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

This is going to make it even funnier when Hulkenberg finishes P15 tomorrow.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Simplex posted:

This is going to make it even funnier when Hulkenberg finishes P15 tomorrow.

:lol: at Perez's title challenge as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Perez and Stroll are such embarrassments that is really difficult to pin down how good their cars are. Max is .7 seconds a lap faster than the field, but Perez can't get out of Q2. Alonso is qualifying second, but Stroll gets knocked out in Q1.