Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

There are a few decent steakhouses around Green Bay / Ashwaubenon / Allouez, but, yeah, Green Bay (and its surrounding aforementioned communities) is pretty poor when it comes to exceptional food. One place I recall was called A'Bravo Bistro--my ex-wife and I ate there once on our way up to her family cabin in Marinette County--and they did an incredible tenderloin with a crazy-good mushroom sauce ... but, again, that's something you can get anywhere in the country that isn't a town with a population of 55 people. And I have no idea if that place is even still open, as I haven't been through Green Bay in nearly two years, when I went through there with an ex-girlfriend on a trip to see her family in Shawano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hand Row posted:

Lol at Bears fans thinking they are going to get 10 first round picks when there’s like possibly 4 qbs in the top 10, but that Rodgers won’t get one first round pick.

Some Bears fans have deluded themselves into thinking the team is going to do a complete 180 in a single offseason when they need a new offensive line, at least one great wide receiver, a new defensive line, a weakside linebacker, a safety and a cornerback, so...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Well good teams do that. I’m just annoyed because people always spout out, “the cap isn’t real”, when that is only the case for a little bit, then it becomes very very real. People act like you can put that poo poo off in perpetuity.

I'm with you; I get really tired of people saying "the cap is fake" when we see teams having to deal with the results of kicking the can down the road: They wind up in hell for a year or two. Like, no matter what happens with Rodgers, the Packers are going to be in serious pain for a while.

I mean, poo poo, that's why Ryan Poles had to tear down the Bears all the way to the studs: They were buried in awful contracts and needed to shed salary to get some spending room.

It's just unfortunate that their spending room and their #1 overall pick happened to coincide with a dogshit wide receiver market in free agency, and massive holes on the offensive and defensive lines, weakside linebacker, secondary and if they don't re-sign Montgomery, running back.

Edit: This is why I keep saying they can't fix this in one offseason. It'll take two at the minimum. There are so, so many holes to be filled. You don't turn a 3-win team around in one offseason unless God Himself steps in and grants you generational players with every single draft pick.

Timby fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 8, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

The Bears didn't have to do that, they chose to. Which is of course always a valid choice probably the best choice. But they could have made moves and done things in a way that didn't have them tear everything down to the studs. That was a decision they made because they thought it was the best way forward.

There is a reason the Bears have so much money they HAVE to spend this year, because they didn't spend poo poo last year as a choice.

They can carry over money to next year. It's not like the corporate world, where if you have a budget of $2 million but you only spend $1 million, then you only get $1 million the following year.

Deciding you have to spend money means you'll inevitably work yourself into a bad deal. And the free agents at the positions the Bears need are ... less than optimal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nodoze posted:

Just get rid of the cap

The toothpaste is out of the tube. The union allowed the cap to happen, there's no way ownership will ever let the union claw that back (nor do I think the union has the teeth to go to the mattresses on that issue).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Great. So the Bears have to spend money when the free agent market is dogshit and they need starters on both sides of the line, wide receiver, weakside linebacker, secondary and possibly running back.

Lovely.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 8, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HootTheOwl posted:

Is Detroit considered a bigger or smaller market than Baltimore?

Detroit's market is a little under 2 million larger than Baltimore's, at least radio-wise. Population-wise, Detroit proper is about 60,000 larger than Baltimore City. (That's not to say anything of Baltimore County, as Baltimore is an independent city.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sataere posted:

No, there is an actual spending floor. They HAVE to spend a certain amount of money over a three year span or there will be financial penalties. Considering how little they spent last year, they have to do something this year. If they don't spend enough this year, they will have to go hard in free agency next year.

Next year's free agent market looks a lot better than this one's.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

the elite players are going to come through the draft

This is what sounds wild to me. How many players are elite straight out of the draft? It's not exactly common. This is why it's going to be a two-year rebuild for the Bears, at minimum.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sounds like we get the decision tomorrow. He said he'd decide by the time limit (free agency starts at noon tomorrow).

I think the legal tampering period begins tomorrow, then free agency (and the new league year) opens on Wednesday.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aaron Rodgers and Pat McAfee is just the greatest douchebro combination in history, and I love that McAfee is Rodgers' own personal mouthpiece.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hand Row posted:

You guys probably shouldn’t look up what Pat makes.

This too. $30 million a year from his FanDuel sponsorship alone.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hughesta posted:

I'm fine losing Montgomery tbh, he's great but so is Herbert. Bears are drowning in good backs tbh

Yeah, I'm not terribly upset about losing Montgomery. He's a bruiser with no speed. Herbert has speed and agility, but he can't block. Both have injury histories but I understand where the Bears are spending their money.

Fair trade.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Pace was such a loving terrible GM.

Fixed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m sure the trade ends up happening and the compensation will be meaningful but way less than Wilson or Watson cost. Maybe the equivalent of a late first, with some conditions.

I'm thinking a 2023 second and a conditional 2024 pick. The Packers really don't have a ton of leverage; their cap is hosed and the number of teams A) in need of a quarterback and B) that can take on the Rodgers contract isn't terribly high.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ironically, RFK Jr. thinks Sirhan Sirhan didn't act alone in his father's assassination and that it was a conspiracy.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

That’s the anti-vax Kennedy, right? :yikeseroo:

Yes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MJeff posted:

Why in god's loving name is a tweet that long.

Twitter Blue subscription perk.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

Not to defend twitter blue, but they did put a number of the like, power user poo poo, behind it. If you run a large account I *get* paying for it.

It's the normal randos I shame for buying blue lol.

Remember a week or two ago, when Twitter completely crashed because they locked themselves out of their own (brand-new) API paywall?

I got a hearty chuckle out of that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sataere posted:

How hard is it to say that it is too soon to tell? Claypool could have a top twenty season next year and we will say it was a good trade. He could totally suck and we will say it was a bad deal. It is too soon to really tell.

Ah, but, you see, it's Niwrad, for whom every decision made by a Chicago sports team's front office is automatically bad until proven otherwise. Remember, he was screaming that last year's draft was proof that the Bears had already given up on Fields.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

adaz posted:

For the record I wasn't like calling out that trade, I think it's probably still too soon to tell. just pointing out the bears invested 2 first round picks in WRs to help Justin this year andi would guess we are going to see a carpet bombing of offensive line during the draft for similar reasons.

I don't think it's accurate to say that the Bears invested two first-round picks. They only traded down from 1 to 9 to get Moore, they didn't sacrifice their first-rounder there.

The #32 for Claypool, that's accurate, but I think he's going to rebound now that he's going to have time learning the offense, getting chemistry with Fields and getting to gel with the rest of the team.

There's a reason a bunch of other teams were in on him at the deadline. He's not deadweight.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sataere posted:

Nah, they literally swapped a 2024 first for DJM. I'd say they invested a future first for him.

The Bears got the Panthers' first-round 2024 pick in the Moore trade, along with #9 and #61 this year and whatever the Panthers' second-round pick in 2025 is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sataere posted:

Yeah, but they wanted to give a 2025 first instead or DJM.

This is some really strange logic to argue that the Bears invested a first-round pick in DJ Moore.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MJeff posted:

I didn't read the article, but I don't think it's really news that the Bears, at least in the short term, are gonna live and die on Justin Fields, not their defense. It is a huge shift, but, it's one that's been known for a bit. Their number one priority is to find out if Justin Fields is the guy.

The Bears are in year one of what is likely to be a three-year rebuild.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Wasn’t that roughly around when the kids took over running the org?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding or over extrapolating, but as I understood it it was the failsons that started the descent into madness

Mike McCaskey took over the Bears in 1983 or 1984, and that's when the team started to spiral downward. He replaced Mike Ditka with Dave Wannstedt in 1992, and infamously announced a press conference to announce the hiring of Dave McGinnis as their new head coach after the 1998 season ... except McGinnis hadn't actually agreed to a contract yet, and was on his way to Halas Hall to discuss final terms when he heard about the press conference on the radio. He backed out, and the Bears, with egg on their face, turned to Dick Jauron.

That was the incident that led to Mikey boy being kicked upstairs and Ted Phillips and Mark Hatley taking over the team.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Danny LaFever posted:

Odd since they were trying to sign him and he chose Detroit. (likely more guaranteed from Detroit).

Brad Biggs of the Tribune--who's terrible, don't get me wrong, but occasionally gets things right, such as repeating that this is a multi-year rebuild for the Bears--said that this was exactly it, that the Bears' offer didn't include any guaranteed money after the first year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Danny LaFever posted:

Don't really have an issue with the Bears not keeping him. He probably matters more to the Lions atm anyways.

In the video it does talk about a short coming of Montgomery. He doesn't have that burst to really rip off huge runs like Herbert, but you need a back that can miss tackle and get you the short yardage stuff. Like Williams last year or Montgomery for his whole career. The Lions already have Swift they need a back to compliment that.

Yeah, Montgomery is a power, bruising running back, not a speedster. He also wasn't great at blocking or receiving.

He's a "nice to have," not "must-have," player.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

When did "EDGE" become the preferred nomenclature over "defensive end?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Like most states, the big cities are cool and the rural areas suck. Whenever I go to Madison, I like to browse the market on Capitol Square on Sunday mornings and get me a big loaf of spicy cheese bread. Also some Blue Moon ice cream for nostalgia's sake.

Dane County Farmers' Market on the Square is on Saturdays, not Sundays. :eng101:

I do miss living in Madison, if for no other reason than the public transit system is actually functional, unlike the bad joke we have here in Dubuque, the libraries are excellent and the healthcare is better. (I had better luck dating after my divorce there, too.)

But, my God, the cost of living in Madison and the surrounding suburbs is more than double--something like 2.75x higher--than what I deal with in Dubuque. I pay $580 for a three-room apartment in the north end of downtown Dubuque; this same apartment would easily run around $1500 in Madison.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

I haven’t seen 1500 3 bedrooms since the Lovie Smith era

Three-room, not three bedrooms.

My living room is also my kitchen, I have a full bathroom, and I have my bedroom. That's it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I prefer driving by the Great Lakes, or at least the Wisconsin/Niagra escarpment. Inland WI doesn’t hold much for me. It’s a fine state, all things considered, but flat roads with no turns or hills make for a boring drive.

You don't know flat until you've driven through Iowa on I-80 west of Des Moines, and then across the entirety of Nebraska west of Lincoln.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Drove through that stretch when moving from Chicago to Portland and it is the most boring drive I’ve experienced and I’ve driven through downstate IL and (shudders) IN plenty. Wisconsin’s not bad at all, especially compared to most of the rest of the midwest. The upper midwest is a bit of a hidden gem when it comes to natural beauty tho

Northwest Illinois, from East Dubuque to Rockford, has plenty of incredible scenery, too, especially as you move through the Galena Territories.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I much prefer taking a train to a long drive, where possible and practical. Last year I had work trips to both St. Louis and Detroit, from Chicago. Took Amtrak for both trips and it was great. I even streamed an entire Thursday Night Football game on the train back from Detroit to my laptop.

Absolutely. Because it isn't safe for me to fly anymore, and I can't drive due to my legs and back, I take buses or trains anywhere. Last year around this time, my now-ex-girlfriend and I took an Amtrak trip out east and it was a lot of fun, even though the schedule was compressed because her ex was being a pill about how long they wanted to keep the kids.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I hear ya, just mean the southwest portion of the state is really hilly with roads cut between rock walls, etc. It's pretty neat.

The other parts of the state though, yeah - can't disagree there.

Oh, absolutely. Highway 151 between Dubuque and Madison is packed with great scenery.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Try going from Dubuque to La Crosse. Be sure to go through Prairie du Chien so you get the riverside road.

Done that several times, because my ex-wife and I would go through La Crosse on our way up to her family property in rural Marinette County.

And PDC is gorgeous.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Cedar Rapids, IA had a very strong cereal smell last time I was there. I swear it permeated the whole city.

Better than Kaukauna, WI, which smells like microwaved dog poo poo because of the paper mills.

MJeff posted:

Alright, new offseason topic. Who in the division has the best theme park. I contend that Michigan Adventure is one of the theme parks of all time.

I haven't been there since college, so 20 years, but I have fond memories of Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, IL.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KDdidit posted:

https://twitter.com/ESPN1000/status/1648340669964996609

That sure is a bunch of people already on AM 1000

"Good Karma Brands," what on Earth.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shrimpy posted:

While I think Gutenkunst should've called Rodgers, the Dalton situation is not comparable.

Dalton signed with them to be the starter and then the Bears traded up for the QB of the future who was obviously going to start before the end of the season like a month later.

Didn't the Bears do that with Mike Glennon, too? Signed to be the starter, then trade up to draft Mitch?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gonz posted:

Also known as Aaron the Cruel, Aaron the Torturer, Aaron the Despised and Aaron the Unholy.

Wasn't he also Aaron the Butch?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I wonder who the bears will select in the world-famous "NFL draft"

Brad Biggs expects them to take Jalen Carter if he's still on the board and possibly Skoronski if Carter's gone, so ... that feels pretty realistic to me.

That said, Biggs is a dipshit and the Tribune should have fired him years ago (I will never forget him eternally hating Jay Cutler just because Biggs asked him a dumbass question, so Cutler never spoke to Biggs, only other Tribune people like Haugh), so, really no one knows what's gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sataere posted:

Biggs showing how dumb he is based on Skoronski.

Biggs blocked me on Twitter because after some article in 2013 or 14, just micro-analyzing everything Cutler did and doing a full-on Janosz Poha "Everything he is doing is bad, I want you to know this," I tweeted at him, "Show me on the doll where Jay touched you."

He's the classic example of a writer who already has a narrative in his head, and then will find a way to write an article around it, drat the numbers.