Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sucks the 2nd rd pick is 61

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It’s not really a concern, but I think Carolina will steal some cheap wins in a bad NFC South.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/20/fmia-nfl-free-agency-bears-panthers/

quote:

Chicago. The Bears traded ownership of the draft to Carolina, then owned the first week of free agency. After a conversation with Bears GM Ryan Poles the other night, it sounds like the trade was almost THE TRADE. Poles told me he had significant discussion with Houston at number two that could have made him trade down twice in the top 10—with both the Texans and Panthers. He wouldn’t be specific on what broke down, but he did say: “I thought there was an opportunity to do something historically pretty cool with a trade from one to two and two to nine. That had potential to add more draft capital this year, and then the possibility that you’re sitting on three ones in the following year. That had my attention. But my gut told me to trigger on it now. At the combine, I thought those quarterbacks did an outstanding job in their interview process. A lot of teams felt really good about some of those guys, but as you get further away from the combine, maybe there’s a bad pro day or something that turns teams off.”

My sense is that Poles is close to Carolina GM Scott Fitterer from years of road scouting and personnel conversations, and he could get a read on exactly what Carolina would do and what it wouldn’t. He doesn’t know Houston GM Nick Caserio as well, so it could be Poles was never sure how far the Texans would go to do the deal. In a draft with questions about all the top quarterbacks and no Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence in the group, once Carolina agreed to send wideout D.J. Moore and two ones and two twos, Poles was convinced he shouldn’t wait.

“Scott and I have a pretty good relationship, being around each other on the road,” Poles said. “I think that played a big part of it. And trust. He wanted to get it done. He was clear with his intentions.”

Not sure why Poles went public with this. Just sets him up to be questioned whether he could have had more if he waited.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

People don't seem to realize that DJ Moore is really good. Reminds me a bit of Allen Robinson who didn't get the credit he deserved in Jacksonville. Didn't have the great skillset of other elite receivers but makes up for it by being an incredible route runner and adjusting well to the ball in the air. He's a legit WR1 and probably close to being a top 10 receive in the league with a decent QB.

And then he went to the Bears...

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/1638248741164445708

Still doubt he really wants to play

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ESPN1000/status/1648340669964996609

That sure is a bunch of people already on AM 1000

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PekalaLaw/status/1653777892579368960

Good, I guess

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

All the lovely Chicago teams love talking about "culture”

I think the lovely Chicago Blackhawks would prefer if nobody talked about their culture.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kevin Warren's work on the B1G TV deal doesn't sound as impressive, watch out Arlington Heights stadium deal.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/37693310/big-ten-new-commissioner-television-deal-coaches-uncertainty

quote:

Lastly, Petitti prioritized the official completion of the massive television contract worth more than $7 billion negotiated by his predecessor, Kevin Warren. This issue may have seemed like a mere formality, but complications to the much-celebrated deal arose soon after he accepted the job.

Nearly three months before the season kicks off and those TV deals begin, the Big Ten does not have completed longform contracts, which include the fine print details. Instead, Petitti is engaged in significant "horse trading," according to multiple sources, to get the NBC primetime deal finished and figure out what the network calls "outstanding issues" in order to uphold as much value as possible.

"These deals aren't done, and they aren't what they were represented to be from the standpoint of the NBC deal and the availability of all members to participate in November games in primetime," said an industry source.

Interviews with nearly a dozen sources in and around the Big Ten and the college sports industry paint a picture of Petitti sprinting to navigate details left unresolved from his predecessor.

As a result, there's a trail of unhappy athletic directors seeing money disappearing from their bottom line, frustrated television executives and big-name coaches irked about the lack of transparency in details that weren't communicated to them.

Kevin Warren took over as Big Ten commissioner in January 2020, and in just three years at the helm, he dealt with the COVID-19 pandemic, helped bring USC and UCLA into the conference in a landscape-altering deal, and secured the massive TV payday before heading back to the NFL as team president and CEO of the Chicago Bears.

When he accepted that job, he said he was leaving the Big Ten in a "demonstratively better position," which was true financially as its schools project more revenue than any league over the course of the deal. His work adding USC and UCLA, who join the conference after the 2023-24 season, was widely praised by members and provided a financial jolt to the television deal.

On campus, it's a bit more muddled. Big Ten schools have seen potential revenue disappear the past few months from a contract that was announced back in August as being worth an average of nearly $1 billion per year through the 2029 football season. More than $70 million in total is suddenly in flux -- nearly $5 million per school -- and it has left administrators around the league seeking answers and calling for financial accountability.

Recently, schools have found out:

They are going to have to pay back nearly $40 million to Fox because, according to sources, Warren delivered NBC the Big Ten football title game in 2026 without the full authority to do so. This all has unfolded under the complicated backdrop of the Big Ten conference not actually controlling the rights to the inventory of this latest deal -- the Big Ten Network does, which is majority owned by Fox. (More on that below.)

They are going to have to pay $25 million total for a deal to pay Fox back for lost 2020 football game inventory. This came after an arrangement between Fox and the conference that was unable to muster the lost revenue from the COVID-19 season.

There's tens of millions of dollars of value of the NBC primetime deal in flux, as Petitti has been racing to ensure it keeps as much of its original value as possible. Historically in the Big Ten, after the first weekend in November, schools were not required to play night games for myriad reasons -- health, recovery and campus logistics among them. These were known in league circles as "tolerances," and prior television contracts accounted for them.

Multiple sources told ESPN there's been pushback from a number of schools, including Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State, to play those late-November night games under the new contract. That leaves Petitti to figure out how to uphold a deal for hundreds of millions of dollars for primetime games without cooperation from some of the league's marquee teams for part of the regular season's most important month.

Athletic departments and coaches around the Big Ten say they were surprised November night games would be part of the deal. They weren't asked for permission to play them prior to the deal or informed of the change ahead of the deal, according to sources. At the same time, NBC wasn't aware until well after the initial contract was signed this summer that these big-brand schools had historic tolerances that were part of the prior television arrangements and would resist being available.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can’t wait to see T Swizzle in Arlington Heights instead

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

France?

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kalensc posted:

Edit: Can someone please remind me the context of "TO HELL WITH THE SUN", tyvm

I think Lovie after a bad loss said the sun will still come up tomorrow and Ed O’Bradovich wasn’t having any of it on the post game show.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Shoop the bubble screen master

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fields still threw it 2 feet behind him on a WR swing, glad Moore has experience with bad QBs

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fields isn't just going to have the first 4k passing yard season in Bears history, he's going to have the first 4k YAC season in NFL history

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jim Miller looks like JB Pritzker now

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fields throws pretty badly both when he has time and when he doesn’t, he just obviously usually doesn’t. Even in the 4th with the Packers playing off guys he still wasn’t hitting guys in stride. Well I guess he hit Mooney in stride right into getting blown up.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Eddie Goldman of the OL. He can hang out with our DC who is also out for personal reasons.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What's that now?

https://twitter.com/ChiSportUpdates/status/1704528630309666861

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's pointless speculation, but I'm ready to hear all sorts of weird poo poo because this organization is :regd08: as fast as it can this season.

https://twitter.com/BillTZimmerman/status/1704542629239673075

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
History will be made!

https://twitter.com/actionnetworkhq/status/1704519385816150350

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No police, but they didn’t say FBI!

Unless they said that in the article, who has time for anything but headlines.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate the Bears at least being entertaining if they’re not going to be good.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps they’re confused and he placed a lot of bets on EPL mid-table stalwart Crystal Palace

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Aren’t you like a Bears reporter or something? Thanks for the heads up for the last few days.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sounds like they found the FBI source.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Expert on everything The Score’s Laurence Holmes tells me if ESPN had a real reporter that would put their name on the story they would have, but they don’t.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's a shame there aren't local reporters here in Chicago that can report on things.

Our local reporters didn’t hear it was anything family related! Not that any of them reported what they did hear.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

whos that broooown posted:

Bears so bad they cause existential crises in their players

Fields to IR: Existential Crisis

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Abugadu posted:

Urlacher.

Did Paris Hilton ever come to a bears game when she was with him? Need to compete with T Swizzle.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That’s bullshit, Santos didn’t miss. Special teams is an easy D!

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CourtneyRCronin/status/1710022875262922770

Peterman gone again

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1710053214135918691

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man I wish I could spend 12 hours in bed farting.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GNU Order posted:

Why does goofy rear end poo poo like the strip sack safety always happen to Fields in the 4th in game winning drive situations?

Truly cursed

Because Fields has totally stunk in game winning last drive opportunities with the Bears and, other than the Smith-Marsette fumble last year, the failures have been on him.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Parallelwoody posted:

Fields didn't call 2 runs up the gut against the lions when like everything else other than those types of runs they were doing was working, and a single first down would have ended the game.

He threw a great pass on third down that should have been a touchdown to ice it. But he still stinks on game winning last drives. A complete 0-fer. You’d think he would have stumbled into one by now.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Before the Bears went full tank last year, I was fairly happy with Getsy. He’s only gotten worse.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Harbaugh just turned the BET thing into an acronym. Pretty sure that means he’ll be coaching the Bears soon.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

WE loving MADE IT

WE ARE IN THE HUNT.

LETS loving GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Has any team won the Super Bowl and also got the #1 pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The CEO jumping and wearing them like anybody looks at his feet entertains me.