Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Go Pack Go

(Fire Joe Barry)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

packers trade aaron to the jets, swap firsts and jordan love to the ravens in exchange for lamar, fire joe berry, and draft some loving offense :allears:

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Good trade Chicago. Got a weapon and a lot of draft capital to support fields or draft his replacement

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Moore is on a really cap-friendly deal too for the next 3 years. So they can really dump a ton of money into OL and DL in free agency.

Interested to see who they go with at #9. I doubt Carter falls that far (although they have draft capital to move up if he is on the board at #6 or #7. There's some elite corners that should be available like Porter Jr and Gonzalez from Oregon. Wouldn't have a problem with them trading down again if Levis is on the board and someone like the Commanders or Lions are desperate to move up to get him.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Chicago extend him and give him a huge base salary this year. They have a bunch of cash they _have_ to spend and it's better to do that and make him happy then blowing it on street free agents

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Niwrad posted:

He still has 3 years left. I think they'd be happy extending him but I also feel like Moore probably wants to be a free agent at 28 instead of 30.

maybe, but if they give him a big 5 year deal with a payoff I could see it. basically you're giving him a bit of an early payday with the likely risk your not getting that 3rd contract.

:shrug: it makes sense for the bears and it might for DJ to start making that 20-25m AAV instead of gambling on a third contract. it also can give him a huge payout this year and like.. 50 mil or 75 mil payday has to look nice

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

someone induct lovie into the bears ring of honor and make him special assistant to the gm.

Incredible

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Getting DJ Moore was so loving huge. Claypool as a #3 WR is not bad at all. Now the Bears just need to pick up some guys who can block and their offense might actually be decent. They should be able to outbid anyone on the FA market. I just have no idea if the pool of free agent OLs is any good.

It's not, especially in the tackle area.

Now.. the Bears have so much cap room they could do some inventive poo poo like trade a pick for a sign-and-trade of someone who needs the cap space

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Sataere posted:

Brown is good, but inconsistent. McGlinchey is solid at run blocking, but atrocious at pass protection. Taylor is good as pass pro, but not so good in the run game. But for free agency, everyone is going to be flawed because if they weren't, they wouldn't be free agents.

Brown is probably the one you want to blow all the money on but the others are pretty iffy. And with Brown you are probably looking at 25M a year at least... which is an awful lot of money. I mean the Bears have the cap space so sure and there's a real good argument that going from F- tackles to even league average would've made the offense better but imo there's better ways of utilizing all that cap space. If the Saints weren't crazy they'd could really help their cap situation out by trading some like Ryan Ramcyzk to the Bears etc. They have _so much_ cap space there's some inventive things they can do with it beyond just blowing a ton of money on whoever happens to be a FA this year.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Niwrad posted:

The stars are mostly gone. The whole point of having a QB on a rookie deal is you can spend on stars at other positions.

You have $100 million in cap space and dont bother improving the worst offensive and defensive line in football.

We will see how it pans out for them next season.

your cap space carries to the next year over you know*

* Teams do have to hit a salary floor - 90% of the cap iirc - but that is calculated *weirdly* and includes stuff like IR contracts and iirc it's not calculated until like the 3rd or 4th week of the season

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

Jesus Christ packers, do something.

First time? Let me help you fellow poster for the Green Bay Packers OffSeason

1. Lose in a playoff game, probably due to a defensive shitshow and/or ST breakdown (optional)
2. Fans Beg to fire the DC and/or head coach
3. Listen to Rodgers "subtly" hint he wants to retire, gently caress clay, and/or leave for another team.
4. Do nothing in free agency outside some vet bare minimum contracts.
5. Draft SPARQ defensive guys in the first few rounds
6. Rodgers unsubtly points out they havent drafted anyone to help
7. Offseason camp reports about how TOUGH the defense is and how IN TOUCH rodgers is with his receivers
8. lose in a playoff game, probably due to a defensive shitshow and/or ST breakdown

I hope this helps

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

No they haven't. Not in the least. They got Rodgers to come out and openly and strongly declare he wants to be a Jet. The team has the entire off-season to make the Jets sweat that they might miss out on this opportunity and eat an incredible amount of blowback for being too cheap to go get a Hall of Fame QB when they had a roster otherwise capable of going to the AFCCG for want of a QB.

What's Rodgers going to do? Whine? Ignorable. Retire? Ok, great, the team can move on. Try to force himself onto the team for 2023? He doesn't have a no-trade clause, the Packers can Osweiler him to a team with a ton of cap space for like a 6th or something. What's he gonna do in THAT case? Retire?

All it takes is for Gutekunst to sit ice-cold.

Also per OTC if they wait till after june 1st I think they save $15 mil in dead money / cap hits soooo

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Sataere posted:

My point was if you're gonna pay a first for Rodgers, you might as well pay another for Lamar. Giving up a first makes no sense.

1 of these players has a contract, the other doesn't and further wants a fully guaranteed contract that exceeds what deshaun watson got.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1636878020010205184

yeah lol The Bears took DJ Moore as a replacement for a first.

bears have spent 2 firsts on WRs this year basically - remember their 2nd rounder for claypool was pick 32nd cause dolphins lol

adaz fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 18, 2023

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

from a athletic piece of free agency value which ranked the NFL teams in how much they spent in free agency from 2020-2022 vs. the AV of the players they obtained and like we all know the packers dont spent any money but the dropoff there between #31 and #32 is pretty hilarious.

quote:

The Packers have been the least active team in free agency over the past three seasons, spending by far the least amount of cash on free agents at $18.9 million. No other team has spent less than $51.5 million, which is pretty stark evidence of how the Packers have gone about building their rosters in recent seasons

They also ranked how much value you get per million spent and the packers (and most of the NFC North actually) did really well. Packers number is basically all De'Vondre Campbell.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Wonder what these numbers look like if you include 2019 and the four big splashy signs that offseason.

It'd be a weird one year bump that would move the packers up.. but if you stretch it back to say 2018-2017 they'd fall back to last place. Amos contract was 36 million, Preston's was 52 million and ZaDarius was 51 million.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

For the record I wasn't like calling out that trade, I think it's probably still too soon to tell. just pointing out the bears invested 2 first round picks in WRs to help Justin this year andi would guess we are going to see a carpet bombing of offensive line during the draft for similar reasons.

Which makes sense and is absolutely what they should do. Next year is when you should judge the results of this talent infusion

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Sure, great glad they got a pick swap and a couple 2nds for a guy who likely? will only play a year or two but also equally as likely with the RAGE will probably win the loving MVP knowing him.

Otoh gently caress the entire packer's FO for so thoroughly loving up this entire situation up you talentless hacks.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

The second next year is pretty much guaranteed to become a first unless he misses a bunch of time due to injury. This is a great trade for GB.

I mean that solely depends on how good Jordan Love is and or how you feel about aaron hoisting a superbowl trophy for the stupid jets but i'm not inclined to believe in anything this FO does wrt is aaron is particularly good considering they've hosed up literally everything about handling him over the last 5 years.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

It's a deep TE class this year but keep in mind it's rare for TEs to have much impact in the first year and it's very very hard for a highly drafted TE to outplay his rookie contract and get surplus value. It's just a position that outside the top few guys you get cheap players for and largely replacement level players without spending a ton on. There are some good WRs but like the best one is a slot WR nad you don't draft them with the #13 pick.

My guess is they do their normal thing and draft a sparky defensive player who will inevitably suck on the lovely defense and use one of the 2nd rounders on a TE... but that is unlikely to have much impact on the divisions worst WR corp so good luck jordan love i hope you like running the ball

adaz fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 24, 2023

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't know what sort of weird vendetta you have but between hating Rodgers and wanting to see him fail and hating Gutey and wanting to see him fail I'm not entirely sure you're actually a Packers fan.

Gutekunst got two second round picks and two* first round picks out of players who decided they didn't want to be in Green Bay anymore no matter what. That's a phenomenal return for a GM. Then you account for him finding multiple All-Pros in free agency and a pretty decent drafting record and now I'm not even sure what more you want of him.

Does he even have authority to force LaFleur to fire Barry? That's the only other thing I can reasonably think of that isn't an utterly insane scenario.

You're ignoring the fact that gutenkust caused the situation with Rodgers directly by drafting love in the first place and also ignoring him throughout the first part of his tenure as GM. Also, he hosed up with the contract extension for Aaron too.

Like I'm glad he's had some success as a player evaluator but the defense still sucks, the wt corp is a desolate wasteland and he wasted two MVP years of his QB in addition to mishandling the situation to begin with

No part of gutenkust tenure as packers gm screams well run organization, he's been a mild train wreck saved by 2 MVP seasons of aaron

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Because there's a large contingent of Packers fans who think Gutekunst is the absolute worst GM in the world when he's probably somewhere around above average and I'm unbelievably tired of reading that bullshit.

Tom Brady broke the brains of absolutely everyone following this sport. Without exception, 31 of 32 NFL teams fail embarrassingly every single loving season.

I don't think Gutenkust is the worlds worst GM - he's been above average at evaluating talent for sure - but he's been F- at handling the most important position in football and that's problematic when you're a GM. That can coexist with Rodgers being a real weird man child it's ok!!!!!

I really do hope Jordan Love turns into the 3rd straight hall of fame quarterback while the Lions have jared goff reverting to norm and the Bears end up murdering yet another promising young QB and the Vikings are stuck on the Kirk Cousins mediocrity train but that's unlikely! Even if Jordan Love turns into a hall of fame QB you would - rightly I would add -question why the gently caress didn't they ship Aaron out sooner and build around Jordan OR trade Jordan for assets to help push the roster over the edge to win a Superbowl because he either wasted a hall of fame QB MVP seasons or wasted the literal most valuable assets in football - a cheap, cost controlled great quarterback and both put you pretty firmly in the bad GM category.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

aaron you can literally just call one of hte big three and ask for them to put up a cell tower or just pay for it my guy

also facetime doesnt go over data networks it goes over weefies if available and apparnetly nobody has ever told rodgers how to turn on wifi calling on his iphone

or he thinks, knowing rodgers, that 5g gives him cancer and activates the mind control robots in his blood

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah Skoronski seems tailor-made to be a Chicago Bear: Went to Northwestern and has a Polish surname.

I don't think he's a bad pick, I am just hesitant to think he's the best pick for the Bears at 9.

i mean anytime you have a top 10 pick the best franchises use it to draft a guard, truly a position where you need elite talent. Bears definitely need o-line help for sure but man, don't take a marginal tackle propsect =/

Abugadu posted:

I’m at peace knowing that the Packers’ pick will piss me off.

It'll be some SPARQ-y defensive player who will inevitably be ok on a mediocre defense as the idk eagles or 49ers run for 300 yards in a early round playoff exit as per international treaty.

adaz fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 27, 2023

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Skoronski is in the 4th percentile for arm length on tackles. He _could_ succeed sure but he'd be a extreme outlier at the position. He's certainly a great player but you're taking a decent risk on him due to his physical limitations. Depends on who is available at #9 for the Bears obviously but I have a hard time seeing him being BPA at that spot as right now he projects as a guard and guards dont go in the top 10.

e: like, not great!!!

adaz fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 27, 2023

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Dexo posted:

Watch dude actually play.

As the backer of the one team that northwestern actualy beat last year I did, in fact, watch him play he rules great player.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

who the gently caress is this guy?????

lol

a great right tackle. amazing.

dont put him at left tackle.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

As someone who very much does not like the chicago bears I was upset they drafted wright. As Dexo said he was amzing in against great competition in the SEC and naturally is a good right tackle. I was hoping NFL folks would devalue him and he'd be in Those guys make nearly as much as LTs and you're looking at 15-20MM for top of the market RT.

It's a great pick. I would grab more if I was Chicago to be honest - some interior help - because you _have_ to protect fields better this year.

l'mao lions

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

i hate this loving team

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

8 first round picks starting on defense

If they aren't loving top 3 you are firing literally everyone because what loving excuse do you have

i hate this pick so much

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

adaz posted:

My guess is they do their normal thing and draft a sparky defensive player who will inevitably suck on the lovely defense

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

surf rock posted:

The Packers haven't had a good defense in ~25 years

by year in scoring defense from 2010.

pre:

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Scipiotik posted:

This is definitely the Lions way. They go after the players they want and make sure they get them. Brad Holmes said in an interview that mock drafts on the internet are all stupid and none of those people have any idea what they are talking about.

Noted Has Won A NFL Playoff Game or Even Made The Playoffs person Brad Holmes lecturing the rest of the nfl on draft value is loving hilarious.

I mean, it'd be fun for him to dunk on everyone I guess but the recent history of first round RBs and off ball LBs isnt good!!!

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Mock drafts are where I can clearly see that all sports journalists are guessing and just pick who they like, regardless of if they fit the team.

If we had an NFC North Thread mock draft it would be just as reliable and just as terrible.

I 100% would've drafted Bijuan to the packers because having him aaron jones and aj in the backfield and run the wishbone so yes

fair

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Parallelwoody posted:

Did you forget that he worked for the rams and in what capacity? There's an argument to be made here, but this ain't it.

Todd Gurley is the only RB that Les Snead ever drafted in the 1st round and he's never drafted a ILB but sure. I mean obviously if that dude is todd gurley -type productivity you're going to take it and it'll be a win

adaz fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 28, 2023

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Honestly while you can question value with the Lions and a tiny bit the Bears all the NFC North had a relatively good 1st round. Like, Campbell is a monster and won't be surprised to see him as an early contender for DPOY

I don't like drafting SPARQ-y defense guys because the Packers tend to just waste them but in a vacuum Luke Van Ness is a solid pick and most places had him the #3 edge off the board so sure.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Packer's Depth chart as of now. Fire joe berry. etc

CB 1 - 1st round pick
CB 2 - 1st round pick
SS - 1st round pick (granted, savage who hasnt been _great_)
FS- 3rd pound pick

WLB - 1st round pick
ILB - 1st round pick
ILB - 4th roud pick
SLB - 1st round pick

LDE.- 1st round pick
DT - 5th round pick
RDE - 1st round pick

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

shoot your shot jared why not.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Comfortador posted:

I just hope this isn't Holmes up his own rear end sniffin his own sauce. Every pick they've made has been a "huh?" from everyone.

eh, they're drafting a very specific type of player - very like coaches' son, team captains type players. Definitely some culture fits going on here.

Not bad players the worst you can say is they are largely picking them a bit ahead of when people think they should go.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

owns love musgrave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Shrimpy posted:

I do wonder if Washington is still there if they just say "gently caress it" and double up. Packers have a massive TE hole.

tht would rule, woudln't be surprised if we get secondary here