Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

xbilkis posted:

I don't expect that to be the direction Poles goes in, though. I bet they sign McGlinchey and pick the best d-line prospect available at 9. Which is probably a smarter move, tbh; I presume you're less likely to find a great EDGE in free agency/later in the draft than you are a great offensive lineman

As with all rumors, it is to be taken with a grain of salt, but yesterday the Bernstein & Holmes show said the Bears plan to pursue McGlinchey aggressively. That'd be cool if it pans out.

I'm thrilled with the return Poles got for the #1 pick, pretty exciting that DJ Moore is a Bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
That's a good deal for Edwards. Sounds like a deal with McGlinchey might be imminent, too.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Looks like the Broncos might be getting McGlinchey instead of the Bears.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

News just broke that he's signing with the Broncos for 5 years, $87 million ($50 million guaranteed). Even with the expectation that you will have to overpay for tackles in free agency, that's too much for McGlinchey I think.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Literally everyone the Bears pick up is an improvement over who they currently have, so all these signings sound great to me. DeMarcus Walker is getting a pretty lukewarm reception from Bears fans, but his 32 pressures and 8 sacks last year would've been #1 on the Bears' defense.

Yeah he seems like a fine addition, even if they still need to add more to the defensive line. I imagine the rest of free agency and the 4 picks they have in the top 64 will help address that.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Niwrad posted:

Is the Northwestern tackle supposed to be the top tackle? I thought Paris Johnson was higher on some boards and has more upside.

Some prognosticators think his short arms will limit his effectiveness at tackle, but if that doesn't work out he projects as an excellent guard too.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Two more good pickups for the Bears:
https://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/1636512956824313857?s=20

I can't really complain about any of the "second wave" free agents Poles has signed so far.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

R.D. Mangles posted:

i have never heard of any of the bears' picks today, but it would be cool if at least one of the DT guys was useful. Both seem like projects. Maybe Dom Robinson actually pops this year, seems like everyone forgot about him.

From what I read they both have a fair amount of things to work on, but they're not nearly as raw as Robinson. And while Robinson is still a compelling lotto ticket, he didn't really show enough last year to preclude the Bears drafting an edge rusher (or two) tomorrow.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

R.D. Mangles posted:

this rb from texas looks like an absolute bulldozer.

Sounds like he's very good at bllitz pickup, too, something the Bears running backs were lacking after letting Montgomery go.

This receiver they got from Cincinnati sounds like a pretty nice weapon for Fields, too.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Dexo posted:

Lmao I don't think they need to be a defensive powerhouse

They need to have a serviceable defense. Their defense was the reason they lost games last year.

The offense when people were healthy(Mooney, whitehair, Monty etc etc) was able to move the ball and put up points.

The Bears Offensive line's problem was in two spots. Center, and RT. The Offensive Line is only as strong as it's weakest spot.

Braxton Jones was one of the best rookies in the league last year(needs to get stronger and fix his bullrush problems and better, but he wasn't the problem)

LG, is probably gonna be Teven, who was great last year when he was healthy at RG.

Center is the biggest concern still(I would have liked to draft one, but between Whitehair and the dude who was injured for the year, that'll at least be better than loving Mustipher last year.)

Nate Davis is loving great at RG

and Darnell Wright is my second favorite Tackle in this draft, and just an absolute stud at right tackle.

the WR room is fine with DJ Moore pushing everyone down into their proper slot, the RB room is fine, TE room is fine(maybe would have liked one more, but yeah)

I am the last person you should ever accuse of being some defense first dude lmao.

But you still need to have a defensive line, and the Bears did not have one at all, they had like 20 sacks total last year the worst in the league. It's impossible to win when the opposing team's QB has loving 4 seconds to throw every down and never gets touched. After they traded Ro and Quinn that defense had loving like 6 sacks total for the rest of the year. You don't need to have an elite defense, but you do need to make the QB's feel some pressure. The wwo teams in the Superbowl last year had two very very good pass rushes/defensive lines.

If Kmet misses any extended time this year I think TE will be a sore point, but they had so many needs that I wasn't expecting them to address them all in this draft. But aside from that I think they're mostly set on offense. The offensive line and WRs are the best they've been in a long while.

And on defense I think the only real weak spot is at DE, but even so the pass rush should improve with the Walker signing and the the rookie DTs taking off some of the load from Justin Jones.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Sataere posted:

Losing Tommie Harris hurt more than Mike Brown, although Danieal Manning blowing coverage and allowing a touchdown definitely hurt.

Yeah, he was at his peak when that injury happened and missed the whole postseason.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Been listening to the tournament episodes and loving 2004, man. Craig Krenzel in 6 games had a 46.5% completion rate, threw 3 TDs, 6 picks, and lost 8 fumbles. Jonathan Quinn in 3 games had 1 TD, 3 picks, 2 fumbles, and averaged less than 138 passing yards per game. Chad Hutchinson was the best QB that year with 4 TDs, 3 INTs, and also 8 fumbles lost. The Bears had 9 passing touchdowns the entire season and 35 fumbles.

As horrific as that offense was, the season was still kinda fun just because the defense took a step forward with Lovie's arrival and the new talent on that side of the ball. They even won a game without a single offensive touchdown on the strength of a defensive INT, special teams TD, and an overtime safety.

Ummagumma fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 26, 2023

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

xbilkis posted:

I've been kind of shocked at how bad Walker has looked; I definitely was under the impression he was a lot closer to "decent spot starter option" than he actually is. Looking back at his game log from last season he only really had two decent games, and also had a game where he was 3/10 for 30 yards and 2 INT, so I'm thinking I just did too much extrapolating from the segments of that one shootout against Atlanta that I saw on RedZone

Yeah he's had a really rough preseason and I am not sure he'll even make the roster at this point.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
The Bears offensive line is falling apart before the real season even begins :ohdear:

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Niwrad posted:

Patrick and Kramer suck. There were a lot of good centers available in free Agency so we will see how this pays off for Poles.

I dunno if Kramer sucks. He largely fits the athletic profile Poles wants for his linemen, but he's been frequently injured. He might turn out to be an ok backup. Probably not ideal if he has to start in place of Whitehair, though.

Dexo posted:

BAGENTMANIA RUNNING WILD

FIELDS YOU'RE NEXT

Bears meatballdom is going to nuts the minute Fields throws an interception

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

trevorreznik posted:

It's funny to think of the bears being bad at scouting despite their professed intent to run the football with a bunch of offensive lineman. But who have they actually been right on? Kyle long , the 6th guard of the draft? And kreutz? Thats about it

I'd add Cody Whitehair to that list, and Charles Leno surpassed all expectations for a 7th rounder. Teven Jenkins has looked good at guard when he's healthy (too bad he rarely is).

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Hand Row posted:

One of my faves from childhood

That was also the game where Favre threw a TD pass from his own goal line to Robert Brooks :smith:

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Roschon :allears:

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Those were atrocious sacks that put the Bears out of field goal range, and he had enough time to at least throw the ball away :smith:

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Santos makes up for Fields’ errors

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Braxton Jones loving penalties this year

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
And then Jones gets beat clean

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Dexo posted:

Kmet's been fine. He's not been the problem.

The problem has been a mix of baffling playcalling decisions and the Quarterback.

In addition to screen-a-palooza there's been several plays in the first two games where it looks like receivers end up running identical routes in the same spot.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Scarabrae posted:

They still got those crazy guys on the chicago radio after game?

One of them passed away a few years ago, so that show is no more.

I think the surviving member kept at it a few years, but it wasn't quite the same. Not sure if he still does as he is over 80 now.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Shrimpy posted:

Is there any indication why, rather than naturally build off what was "working" towards the end of last year, they've just reverted back to a system Fields seems incapable of running?

It feels very telling that they're going this sink-or-swim route rather than starting with his strengths and going from there.

I think they want to see if Fields can handle full pro QB responsibilities since they have to make a call on his player option/starting with a new QB with their picks next year.

But yeah I think it would be good to incorporate some of what worked in their scoring streak last year to at least get him going or give the defense more to think about.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
I thought there might be a major meltdown of some kind at Halas Hall given how they've looked so far, but I certainly didn't expect it before the third game. Yikes, what a day.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

brugroffil posted:

Minnesota and Denver need to get their poo poo together

They both have "get right" games next week facing the Panthers and the Bears, respectively.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

KDdidit posted:

Did Paris Hilton ever come to a bears game when she was with him? Need to compete with T Swizzle.

She did. I believe that the Bears lost (as they tend to do), and there was a vocal subset of Bears fans who pinned the loss on Urlacher going "Hollywood."

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Jen X posted:

If he hadn't hired now-noted sexual harasser Mel Tucker as DC and the defense hadn't imploded, I think he'd have done quite well

is this just me having a soft spot for him because he's jewish and the last notable jewish nfl dudes are either the schwartz oline bros, dillon on the packers, some random oline people, Julian Edelman, the vikings' kicker, and notable failure josh rosen? maybe

I dunno if he counts as notable but Gabe Carimi was a Bears first round pick. He suffered from injuries from the get go, though, and didn't pan out.

And the only Bears HOF QB was Jewish, too, but uh that was before the invention of the transistor.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Hizawk posted:

I don't think Poles is a good GM.

It's not looking good for him so far!

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

trevorreznik posted:

Can someone give a rough breakdown of what went wrong in the second half

Bears defense couldn’t make stops on 3rd down and the offense had a turnover for a touchdown.

Even then they had a chance to go up 3 but went for it on 4th and 1 and failed to get it (while blowing a timeout to boot)

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm not mad about them going for it. Bears D is trash and guaranteed to give up at least 3 on the other end. I'm mad about the garbage playcall of a Herbert run up the middle when Justin Fields is RIGHT THERE and ON FIRE.

Going for it is one thing but wasting a timeout and coming up with that playcall is a another

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

SourKraut posted:

At this point I think I’d rather have Trestman back.

For all his faults he avoided losing 14 in a row

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Whoever that is on the right side of the formation not even attempting to chip the DE completely hosed that play up. Can’t have the QB turn his back to and then roll into an unblocked edge, what the hell?

Kinda similar to what happened in Week 1, sadly (second sack in this link: https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...ton-jones-getsy).

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

HootTheOwl posted:

People are saying Fields taking a grounding penalty there was a mistake and I don't get why:
They'd have burned a timeout if he's sacked. The yardage doesn't change if it's a sack (it's about 10 yards either way) the down doesn't change if it's a sack?
In fact, more QBs should try grounding on a drop back if they're getting sacked.

Intentional grounding after the two minute warning incurs a 10-second runoff, and the Bears ended up having to use their final timeout to avoid it.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

HootTheOwl posted:

Which they'd have done if he took the sack too?

My bad, I misunderstood your post and thought you implied the grounding penalty would have preserved the timeout. Yeah, a sack/intentional grounding basically had the same consequences that play. I'm not sure what the exact criticism is/who said it, but maybe they were thinking that Fields had the opportunity to get the ball near an eligible receiver to avoid the penalty?

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

R.D. Mangles posted:

is Jones even coming back this season?

I don't think they've provided any updates about his injury, but if he is healthy he would be eligible to play against the Raiders. This story from September (https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/...tt-eberflus-nfl) suggests they're optimistic he'll be back. It'd be the first time since preseason that the starting offensive line gets to play together.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Dexo posted:

Caleb Williams saw Ryan Poles was at his game and decided to play like poo poo

When I saw him constantly running for his life I was thinking he was destined to be a Bear.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

brugroffil posted:

Missed the third, what happened to Fields

Injured his hand while taking a sack and was ruled out shortly thereafter.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Well Bagent vs. Hoyer will be appointment viewing next Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

trevorreznik posted:

What QB had the best career after leaving Chicago? Like who's the roquan smith of bears QBs

Mike glennon was my first guess but he went 0-9 in games he started after leaving here

Was a very different era but the Bears traded away Bobby Layne after one season and he went on to have a Hall of Fame career.