Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

SKULL.GIF posted:

My big reservation re: the Vikings is do you think Jefferson can produce yet another 1800 yard, 8 TD season? If he can't, that offense regresses. Losing even a few points per game puts the Vikings at like 8-9 this year instead of 13-4.

If the defense had been anything but a wet paper towel the offense wouldn't have had to play hero ball all season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

NFC North 2023: Smooth number twos

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I'm sorry to see it happen but everyone knew it had to. It's gonna be weird to see him in a different uniform. It would be funny if he and Rodgers went to the Jets.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

What pick do the Vikings get?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

brugroffil posted:

Are you really shocked a 95 yo died

Normal 95 year old? No. Bud Grant? Yes.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

One of the great things about Bud was the way he managed to hack off Vince Lombardi.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/01/nfl-mmqb-bud-grant-minnesota-vikings-super-bowl-losses-vince-lombardi-disklike

Grant: Okay, well, Lombardi and I didn’t get along. He’s a tyrant, and he coached that way. Great coach, but he coached with fear, and he treated everybody—whether you’re the president or the secretary of the club—with bombastic fear. I had three occasions where I dealt with Lombardi.

Lombardi vs. Grant: Round 1

There’s a player from Minnesota who was drafted by Green Bay in 1960 named Mike Wright. He later became the CEO of SuperValu [a Minnesota-based supermarket conglomerate]. I went to the Senior Bowl and signed him. I talked to Mike about coming to Winnipeg. We paid more money—not a lot, but enough. And he could finish his law degree because the CFL dates worked out better. He called Lombardi (who drafted him in the sixth round) and said, “I’m going to Winnipeg.” So Lombardi called me and chewed me out. He said, “Why would he want to play in a Mickey Mouse league like the CFL?!” He was very vulgar and agitated. I said, “Well, I’m sorry, but I’m not sorry. I think it’s in his best interest.” And Lombardi says, ‘Well you no good son of a… blah blah blah.”

Lombardi vs. Grant: Round 2

Dale Hackbart played quarterback for Wisconsin. And Green Bay drafts him. He’s an independent guy, so he decided he’s going to go play pro baseball. We kept track of him. Of course, in baseball you don’t start at the top, so he played Class D baseball, all the way at the bottom. Baseball has a goofy mentality. It’s like you have to pay your dues, because major league baseball is so elite. So he played in St. Cloud, Grand Forks, Sioux Falls. He played at Winnipeg early in the year, and I went to see him play, and I didn’t see a baseball player in him. I said, “How’s it going?” and he said, “Oh, it’s going great, the guys are fun.” He’s riding the bus, singing songs and all that kind of stuff.

A month later he came back to Winnipeg for a series. I saw him at the first game, and he’s hitting about .240, and in that league you have to do better than that. They rained out the second game. Now they’re on the bus going back to Eau Claire. I said, “When did the bus leave?” They said, “Oh, about an hour ago.” So I called the border guys and said, “Stop the bus. Don’t let the bus go through there ’til I get there.” I knew some of the guys down there at customs. So they held up the bus, and I get down there and they’re all sleeping on the bus.

“Dale, get your bag.”

“What for?”

“You’re done playing baseball.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, you’re not gonna make it in baseball. If they won’t tell you, I will. So get your bag. We’re going back to Winnipeg.”

So he took his bag off the bus, went back to Winnipeg, signed the contract. We started earlier, so training camp was right around the corner. Lombardi heard about it and called and said, “I can’t get ahold of Hackbart.” I said, “Well what do you want?” He said, “Get him down here! We drafted him!” I said, “Yeah, but we signed him.” Lombardi went ballistic again. Chewed me out like it was my fault.

Lombardi vs. Grant: Round 3

So the story you probably heard is Fuzzy Thurston. He’s an all-time favorite Packer, and he owned a tavern when he was done. Everybody knew Fuzzy. Before that he played in Cleveland, and I had some friends in Cleveland, and I needed an O-lineman, so they released him, and I called him on the phone right away. He was upset, and I said, “Well Fuzzy, do you want to keep playing?” And he said yes, and I said, “Well, get on a plane and come to Winnipeg. We’ll pay you just as much as Cleveland.” He practiced for a week, and we didn’t have roster room that week, but we were going to activate him for the next ball game. Well, I get a call from Lombardi.

Lombardi: “We’re trying to locate this Thurston guy. Somebody said he’s in Winnipeg, and we can’t get a number for him.”

Grant: “Well, what do you want him for?”

Lombardi: “We got an injury, and we want him.”

Grant: “Well, he’s with us.”

Lombardi: “Oh, for Christ’s sake, who wants to play up there?”

As it turned out the guy who Fuzzy was going to replace was just about well enough that he was going to play that week or the next week. And I hadn’t seen enough of Thurston to make a definitive assessment. So I said, “Vince, is he going to start with you?” Vince said, “Well, Christ, we got a guy down. We need a guy. Just send him down here!” I said, “No, Vince, we’re not your farm club. I’ll tell you what I’ll do—I’ll talk to him.” So Fuzzy said, “I think I can play in the National Football League.”

I called Vince and said, “I talked to Fuzzy, and I’ll give you a number, but first of all we’ve got some expenses up here. We paid his way up here, paid a per diem, so that’s about $500. Plus he’s got a plane ticket, plus—now I was being facetious—we’re acting as his agent, so we’ll need $1,000 total before you get him. I’ll release him when you wire the money. He said, “Well, you no good son of a bitch,” and he went on and on. And he hung up on me. He called back and said, “OK, fine.” The best part of the story is that Fuzzy was one of their all-time great players. I saw Fuzzy a lot after that, and every time he saw me he would give me a big hug.

Lombardi vs. Grant: Round 4.

So my first year with the Vikings, the first game I ever won as an NFL coach, was against the defending champion Packers in Milwaukee. We beat them in a very close game, and I think we only threw for about 80 yards, played good defense, ran the ball, got a couple breaks and won. After the game we’re walking off the field. I’ve always shaken hands after games, but your heart’s not in it. It’s a ceremony. So I put my hand out, and he wouldn’t even shake hands with me. And that was the last time I ever talked to him.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The Jets are going to sign Aaron's entire wish list and then he's going to refuse to go there because that's the whiniest, most petulant thing he can do.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I don't know how to link tweets but it looks like the Vikings are signing Corner Byron Murphy from the Cardinals on a two year, 22 mil year deal.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

On the Jets side of things how do you justify spending a first on a one or two year rental of a potentially washed up and definitely over priced QB? Just draft a QB in the first and see what happens. If you have to trade up or take a chance on a second QB late in the draft, do it.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

It's the Buccs

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I know Kwesi got some guff for trading down last year but it's really the right strategy this draft unless a good QB falls into his lap.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Rent is usually quite a bit more than a house payment. Of course that depends on the place and requires that you can make the down payment.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Dexo posted:

the real funny part is if like mid point of the season, they are bad, and disappointing, and then they like sit Rodgers for the rest of the year to make sure they kept that first. lol Zach Wilson.

I could see the Jets both being utterly stupid enough and desperate enough to keep a clearly washed Aaron starting at QB and screw themselves out of a first.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

JJ was chosen with the pick Buffalo gave Minnesota in the trade for Diggs.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

They won it with no defense and a mountain of luck. Which sorta balanced out the previous year where they had no luck at all.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Dexo posted:

I mean yeah, that was a mistake. But he's still not the main problem with that team.

The defense was such a sieve that Kirk was constantly put in a position to fail. It eventually happened but the bigger issue was Ed "I know the system works" Donatell. Much of the draft was about giving Brian Flores the pieces he wanted to rebuild the defense. Kwesi did okay for not having a lot of picks going into the draft. Now it's up to the players.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can't substantiate this at all but I feel like most children of pro athletes end up smaller than their fathers. Like it's always linebacker -> corner/safety and not the other way around.

Cameron Jordan's dad is Steve Jordan, a TE for Minnesota on the 80's.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

So is there any cheap property close to Chicago? Even something twenty miles away would make for a good new, new location for a stadium.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Outdoor hockey in the winter is cool, so I can see where that would extend to football, too. As someone who watches 100% on TV, I'm pretty indifferent to dome vs open. The Vikings playing at TCF for a couple years did give us Bud Grant in a polo in January, which was unequivocally great.

I'm not defending the super aggro poster, just thought it was funny because it seemed incredibly tame for a BBC post responding to someone asking if Lambeau sucks.

Yeah, that was rather mild for BBC.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The Vikings are well overdue for a SB win.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Nothing beats "You named your daughter 'Halas'?"moment.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The helmets both look like something you'd see on a sportslogo.net "I made concepts for every NFL team" thread and they look cool. It could be much, much worse.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Now the Vikings just need the bigger helmet logo

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

C'mon man.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Last year, the Vikings were 5 games above their Pythag, so in order to even it out, this year they need to play 5 games below their Pythag.

Last year was a rebalance of the year before.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The first episode of a nine part series on the history of the Vikings by Dorktown is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRhFEGREiac

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

New Dorktown video is up. There's a great story with Jim Marshall and a group of snowboarders lost in the Minnesota woods. That and the players strike in '74 stand out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsJI2PrSM7A

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The Onion strikes.

https://www.theonion.com/justin-fields-praises-receivers-for-running-routes-desp-1850705875

Justin Fields Praises Receivers For Running Routes Despite No Intention To Ever Throw Ball

“I tell these guys all the time, thank you for really putting your all into learning the routes and trying to get separation downfield even though you know there’s a zero percent chance I’m going to throw to you,” said Fields, singling out wide receivers Darnell Mooney and Equanimeous St. Brown specifically for really committing to every slant and corner route they’d run during the team’s minicamp even though he never once threw the ball their way.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Congrats Dexo. Have fun with the kid.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I grew up in Minnesota in the 70's. I sat on the floor while my dad laid down on the couch watching the OG purple people eaters terrorize QB's.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I knew the players had revolted because Les was such a change from Bud but not the particulars.

There's a story of a couple of players who had to take a long trip with Bud. They made a bet with themselves to see if they could get him to start a conversation. They drove the entire time in silence until the end when Bud got out, smiled and said "Good trip." To go from that to a guy whose always reminding you of the time he was in the Marines, in Vietnam and wanted you to cosplay military would have been grating.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I got to the part where they talk about how perfect Gary Anderson was in 98 and decided I needed a break.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Gonz posted:

“Rumors have it that the Evansville Crimson Giants have made an offer for Taylor!” - Unnamed Sources

To be fair he'd be the best player on the team.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Man. Consistently good when they have no right to be and consistently heartbreaking when they have no right to be.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

We need to aim for a Vikings - Lions NFC championship for maximum emotional trauma. Winner of course goes on to win the Superbowl for the final piece of release for one team and continued hell for the other.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

NFC Championship is the third week of the playoffs so it would be three times in six weeks.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Man, Addison is going to be good but I'd trade him for a decent interior O-line.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

SirPablo posted:

I'm not worried about the Vikings. Teams can look miles different from Week 1 to Week 6. JJ is still good, JA has huge potential, TJ remains integral, the O-line between the tackles remains trash. Ingram found a new way to gently caress up. The Defense played decently in the first half, then proceeded to let Baker Mayfield go wild. The secondary is mostly a bunch of nobodies, hopefully they can gradually improve and gel the next few weeks.

The defense looked like a real NFL defense rather than the "stay ten yards from any receiver and hope we get lucky" scheme of last year. Philly and SF will probably trash the team but there's opportunity for improvement, at least on defense as the year develops. Interior O line is Chicago bad right now and I'm wondering what the plan is to fix it.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

So many times teams are awful for years after getting their savior QB. It really is about building a team.

Goff looks like he could be successful on an improving Lions team. If the team sucked Detroit fans would be looking longingly for the next QB too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The Vikings went from being whipped last year to making it close against Philly despite too many critical turnovers. The prophecy of "Playing better but having a worse record" is pretty much following through.