Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

How the gently caress did Cousins not keep his mouth shut lmao

Maybe the tampering rules meeting was on a Tuesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Erainor posted:

Even if the Falcons lose the pick, it won't go to the Vikings. It would just poof into thin air. This has happened to teams before, although never with a first rounder.

The Dolphins lost their first round pick literally last year

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I would like to state that the Vikings not paying Kirk a contract like that is the opposite of getting hosed. Which makes it even funnier because the Falcons didn't even need to tamper.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vando posted:

You best believe that the Vikings will be insisting that losing Kirk is crippling to the team and really truly the only way to make it right is to provide some compensation which could be used to acquire a starting quarterback and oh would you believe it, that usually involves first round picks :getin:

Oh 100% and I would do the same in that situation but in actuality they're laughing about it the whole time.

I legit believe that the Falcons would have paid less for him if they just let it get into a bidding war with whatever other teams were also interested in him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spock Purdy

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Didn't people like "Quarterback" because it showed a players at totally different levels of success and job security? These are basically all guys at the top of their game, seems like it would be way less interesting.

OTOH you have Adams mired in the Oakland Cesspool, Jefferson spending half the year on the IL, and three guys who either made the super bowl or came real close.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

HootTheOwl posted:

Thank god we traded Justin Fields to get Justin Fields (smaller)

By condensing the same amount of talent in a smaller frame it becomes much more potent

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dexo posted:

I would probably wait for more conclusion before cutting, because it probably allows you different mechanisms for cap relief.

It's definitely going to be this imo, the cap hit for just outright cutting him is pretty big. We'll probably get a statement from the Lions at some point about letting the legal process play out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

trevorreznik posted:

I still can't believe Matt Kalil didn't work out for the Vikings after their one awful year

The weird thing is that he was great as a rookie and then just...wasn't.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

trevorreznik posted:

C'mon, you had Culpepper and he led the league in TDs his second year, then a few years later led the league in yards and had almost 40 tds

edit: I forgot you drafted Brad Johnson. Obviously Tarkenton is up there but that's ancient history. It's only recently you've been drafting busts like Ponder. Meanwhile, the Bears best drafted QB is Jim Harbaugh, who is basically the same guy as Tommy Kramer from what I can tell.

people also like to count Bridgewater as a bust/bad pick even though he looked like a hit until his leg exploded

My biggest pet peeve has always been people being happy mired in competitive mediocrity because they're afraid of a bad season. I'd rather take the shots needed to win a super bowl then be stuck with a ceiling of getting blown out in the NFCCG. Even if you miss that just means you get better ammo to take the next shot.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 21, 2024

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Bridgewater’s best season in Minnesota was 14TDs to 9 Ints in 16 games. Does that really count as a hit? He’s the definition of mediocre and I don’t think the knee injury really hampered his later career, he was just never going to be better than an okay backup.

Very much a product of the system around him. He played very well and that was only his second season, no reason to think he wasn't going to continue getting better.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vando posted:

If Bridgewater is a hit Trubisky is a hit

draft position matters

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vando posted:

Not for "is a QB good" type questions, sure the expectations may have been higher but if they perform roughly the same they're still just as good as each other.

It wasn't an "is a good qb" question it was an "is a bust" question.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He was basically the same guy in New Orleans and Carolina. That’s just who he is.

Yeah, and if he had not had an exploded leg and stayed with the Vikings for a few years I don't think people would have called that pick a bust so readily. I also feel like nearly losing your entire leg at age 24 was probably a hinderance to development.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I haven’t really seen people call him a bust, jusr because expectations are pretty low for a QB taken at 32 and he wasn’t terrible, just mediocre. But I don’t think his ceiling was any higher than he put on tape so I wouldn’t call him a hit either since I don’t think he’d have kept his starting job for much longer even without the leg injury. He was a guy who was good enough to stick around the league but not good enough that you’d want him to be your starter.

I guess for me it's a binary outcome, if he's not a bust then it was a hit. And this whole thing started with me being annoyed by all the Vikings fans calling him a bust as reasoning for being afraid to draft a QB.

As far as staying power, I know Zim loved him so my guess is he would have definitely gotten a second contract, with the Vikings maybe taking a swing at a draft and develop guy near the end of it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I wonder how this affects the cap

I looked him up on spotrac the other day and it was like a 19 million dead cap hit this year but also I assume they are already applying for cap relief considering the situation

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sataere posted:

Pretty sure getting blasted while running isn't gonna protect him either. Sliding minimizes the damage.

Also, Tom Grossi rules

https://x.com/tomgrossicomedy/status/1773101203007721876?s=20

Hell yeah

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is incredible

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Forrest on Fire posted:

Homosexuality
Increases
Their
Success

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sataere posted:

he only alternative I'll take is the Bears trading down with Minnesota for both their firsts this year because I still really want JPJ.

That seems like a really low price for Caleb but hell I'm all for it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sataere posted:

Lol. Not that pick

Oh sorry, you didn't specify so I went with the one that was more likely between the two options

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't know if German teams are too popular with Brasilians lol.

I think that was the joke

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

HootTheOwl posted:

Best part of a bears mock draft is they only have 4 picks and the first one is Caleb Williams
1.1: Williams
1.9: If 8 other teams listen to the nonsense outthere and let MHJ fall, otherwise can't go wrong
3.75: The best center available
4.122: Anyone.

What's the 8th team between the bears two picks

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

They're guaranteed to get MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Alt, or whichever edge rusher they want.

Technically all five of these things could come off the board before they pick, unless you aren't counting Caleb as one of the QBs

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dexo posted:

I would extremely trade a second next year to move up to get MHJ or Odunze.

You shouldn't go full ryan pace ofc, but people are a bit too precious about picks.

I agree with this. Houston gave up a lot but they were trading up to 3 from 12. Going from 9 to 6 or 7 shouldn't cost much, relatively, and any of the top 3 WRs are worth the cost because you're not gonna see talent like that where you're picking next year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

He skipped them last year too and then showed up for everything that was mandatory and didn't even make so much as a snide comment about his contract.

There's still a non-zero chance that the Vikings end up trading him before the season but until we actually get anything of value from either side of the negotiation it's all just white noise.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Niwrad posted:

I think Penix is going to go higher than people think. He just had visits with the Patriots and Commanders.

This tells me they're thinking about him in the second round/trading up into the back of the first, not considering him top 3.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I, for one, can't believe a company like Fanatics would gently caress up something jersey related

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Imagine if Reggie White had a Twitter

It would probably be boring and full of Bible verses

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Big brain strategy by the Lions to get their extensions done in time to drive up the price on JJ and Darrisaw

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cognac McCarthy posted:

There were a whole lotta people in the draft thread baffled at the trade up to 10, as though the Vikings were afraid the Jets were going to take a QB. The Falcons threw a wrench in everything but JJ at 10 was clearly the best option at that point. Obviously the fear was the Broncos jumping them and being stuck with Nix

People were also saying the vikings gave up like seven picks to get turner by double counting the picks used to trade for 23 so I think that a lot of people are just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I mean yeah that's the hand sign of the Dork Order