Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lol welp I'm unexpectedly in the market for a car thanks to mine being totaled. I don't think I'm ready for a full on EV, but a hybrid seems to be the sweet spot.

Curious to know goon experiences with them, plug in or not. Are they fun to drive, more maintenance, stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
:firstpost:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My buddy got a rav4 prime last year, the plugin hybrid. It's loving awesome, he uses the ev mode for all his in town poo poo and commuting

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

You should drive a bycicle op

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Human legs on a Sedan body.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I got a corolla hybrid a couple years ago. It's rated at like 52/53mph and I do get around that. I also started WFH around that time so I barely use any fuel. I've never bothered to check my receipts but I figure on a typical month I spend no more than $75 a month on gas.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
yeaH

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I've got an old sonata hybrid that only gets about 35mpg but it's done well by me so far and it's performed unexpectedly well in subzero temps even if it complains about it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I have to take the bus everywhere.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Im crying because the legs are tired and the have no ears

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Someone stole the catalytic converter from my Prius because apparently they’re the easiest to steal. New ones are back ordered for at least 6 months.
:toot:

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
keep your wrecked car and take a payout, buy drivable but wrecked ev and combine the two. there's your hybrid

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

learn to walk on your hands and you won’t need a vehicle

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i had a 2019 rav4 hybrid that got amazing mileage at around 40mph but mice chewed on the battery and other hybrid stuff and insurance wrote it off so watch out for that

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
the new RALLY1 format cars the WRC unveiled last year are plug in hybrid evs, with a turbocharged 4 cylinder ICE capable of developing 270 kW of power, plus supplemental electric motors that can add up to 100 kW of power on demand. hope this helps you in your decision making op

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the new RALLY1 format cars the WRC unveiled last year are plug in hybrid evs, with a turbocharged 4 cylinder ICE capable of developing 270 kW of power, plus supplemental electric motors that can add up to 100 kW of power on demand. hope this helps you in your decision making op

cripes

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Cone-bro powered transportation

Like those old-timey rail cars

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
Toyota makes a number of excellent hybrid gas-electric cars. here is one of them in action. consider toyota op

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

get a plugin hybrid if you live somewhere with a garage

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Ive rubed boot polishg under my etyes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
We got a 2017 Prius. We just traded in an 08 prius for a Kia Serento and I kinda miss the fuel savings of the old Prius.

But beware, the horn is very weak and not intimidating at all.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
cars are trash
get a unicycle lol

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Get hosed unicycle boy!!,!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Get hosed unicycle boy!!,!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

My mom drives a Prius and I've driven it a few times. It's got some zip to it, and the 40mpg or whatever it gets is extremely worth it.

Make sure you get a "Cool Prius! -Everybody" decal for the back if you get one too.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

cool new hybrid tech basically means electric nos

people would buy more hybrids if you gave them a button to push to go faster

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Once you get a prius the pussy practically slays itself.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Get a Rav4 Prime OP.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Piss Creep posted:

Human legs on a Sedan body.
Metal Gear?!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sophy Wackles posted:

Get a Rav4 Prime OP.

Lol I went to a Toyota dealer and their hybrid cars are back ordered 12 to 18 months and the Rav4 I test drove sucked rear end.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
In college, and this is 30 years ago, there was a hybrid club/team you could volunteer for. I didn't do it, but friends did and I'd swing by their lab on a regular basis. They did amazing things.

The main propulsion was a helicopter turbine. They got about 25 mpg in town, but 80 mpg on road trips. The team took it to a competition in the mid-west and won the blue ribbon. The battery pack was small, only 500-600 lbs.

The funny stories include the first time they started it up. Had the back wheels on those roller supports so they could fire it up in the shop without going anywhere. It went from 0-60 in about 3 seconds. Oops. Completely sheared the axle, and I don't mean it fell apart; it literally tore the metal apart. Just splintered it. The mechanical engineers on the team were all "maybe we got a gear ratio wrong".

On the way back from the competition the team, 6 of them crammed into this car, they were passing through Nevada and decided to see what it could really do for speed.

On a straightaway of about 13 miles they hit 120 mph. They were promptly pulled over by a state trooper. The lead on the team spoke with the cop and told him what they were doing, and developing, and testing. The cop was so impressed he let them off with a warning to drive slower.

In general, I'm a big fan of hybrids, more so than electrics or fossils.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Once you get a prius the pussy practically slays itself.

can confirm

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Internetjack posted:

In college, and this is 30 years ago, there was a hybrid club/team you could volunteer for. I didn't do it, but friends did and I'd swing by their lab on a regular basis. They did amazing things.

The main propulsion was a helicopter turbine. They got about 25 mpg in town, but 80 mpg on road trips. The team took it to a competition in the mid-west and won the blue ribbon. The battery pack was small, only 500-600 lbs.

The funny stories include the first time they started it up. Had the back wheels on those roller supports so they could fire it up in the shop without going anywhere. It went from 0-60 in about 3 seconds. Oops. Completely sheared the axle, and I don't mean it fell apart; it literally tore the metal apart. Just splintered it. The mechanical engineers on the team were all "maybe we got a gear ratio wrong".

On the way back from the competition the team, 6 of them crammed into this car, they were passing through Nevada and decided to see what it could really do for speed.

On a straightaway of about 13 miles they hit 120 mph. They were promptly pulled over by a state trooper. The lead on the team spoke with the cop and told him what they were doing, and developing, and testing. The cop was so impressed he let them off with a warning to drive slower.

In general, I'm a big fan of hybrids, more so than electrics or fossils.

I would totally buy a gas turbine electric hybrid

Basically those old ge turbolocomotives but a car

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Peggy Edson posted:

Lol I went to a Toyota dealer and their hybrid cars are back ordered 12 to 18 months and the Rav4 I test drove sucked rear end.

The Prime has a bigger electric motor in it and is a PHEV. They are super hard to get as some dipshit at Toyota thinks they should make about a thousand per year.

I have a regular Rav4 Hybrid, and it is a ok vehicle. It does nothing exciting and gets good mileage.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Every time I tried making a hybrid car, the horse half always dies.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Yes, I daily a Prius, op. I recently purchased it and the first day I drove it to school, a student asked me if I'd still be there next year or if I was moving to California with my boyfriend.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Wait people go to dealerships? drat that’s a fools move bro, private sellers are the correct choice always

Find some old person who is selling theirs because their knees are too weak to get into a sedan or compact

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
i drive a big pickup truck with my wife

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

yeah i drive a hybrid, a steam diesel hybrid locomotive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

my car runs on the bones of skeletons, crushed into a fine powder which is poured into the bone tank.