Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If you magically got sent back in time with a copy of the Hobbit and the complete Lord of the Rings Trilogy, when is the earliest era where you could tell the story and have it be received as enthusiastically as in the modern era? (Assume you can speak the local language.)

Like, if you told a story about a magic ring to cavemen with no understanding of metallurgy or ring making, the concept of the ring would be completely lost on them, so obviously that would be too early. But I don't think you'd need to wait until the invention of the clock (Bilbo has a clock on his mantelpiece) for audiences to follow and understand the plot. So where and when is the earliest time when you could read aloud from LotR and have it be a smash hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
it would take x number of go-throughs but the cavemen could figure it out from context, op

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Middle school before 911

I read the Smaug book

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zippy the Bummer posted:

it would take x number of go-throughs but the cavemen could figure it out from context, op

Yeah but would it be a hit? Would Boromir's allegiance to Gondor and the tragedy of his conundrum resonate with people who have no concepts of duty beyond one's family? Would the idea of alien creatures that look human but are more beautiful and mysterious be intriguing or fascinating to them? Would they understand what an army is? Or a war? Could they grasp the magnitude of a battle that involved tens of thousands?

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
Probably, like, Anglo-Saxon era Britain. The Hobbit is, among other things, an homage to Old English literature.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I bet the classical Hellenic cultures could probably grasp most of the concepts, but the style of storytelling and the themes are very different than the stories they tell. I feel like a story about the clash of mighty nations that didn't mention the gods even once would probably fall flat for them.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Applewhite posted:

I bet the classical Hellenic cultures could probably grasp most of the concepts, but the style of storytelling and the themes are very different than the stories they tell. I feel like a story about the clash of mighty nations that didn't mention the gods even once would probably fall flat for them.

They also might not like how it's mostly prose, rather than verse.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

Good point.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

probably not before humans made a second ring

like if u went back in time to when humans invented the first ring, but didn't make a second one yet, they wouldn't understand the concept of plural "rings" and be confused.

but after they made a second ring, then they would understand the concept :)

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
5 rings to rule us all

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

probably not before humans made a second ring

like if u went back in time to when humans invented the first ring, but didn't make a second one yet, they wouldn't understand the concept of plural "rings" and be confused.

but after they made a second ring, then they would understand the concept :)

Do you think they had an idea that rings could be magical or would that be too big of a leap?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Like, the concept of magic goes way way back, obviously, but I'm not so sure the idea of enchanted objects is as old as magic itself.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Frodo is a wizzard

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Sometime around the early Bronze Age, or like, whenever large agricultural settled civilizations arose. At its core LOTR is a story about heroes and nations -- it's a story about clashes between great kingdoms personified through individual heroic figures. We've had that kind of concept since the story of Enkidu!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I bet the Edo Period Japanese would find the Ringwraith parts really scary.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Cavemen were a bunch of rad tough guys who were constantly almost dying, they wouldn't have time for that nerd poo poo

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

DrSunshine posted:

Sometime around the early Bronze Age, or like, whenever large agricultural settled civilizations arose. At its core LOTR is a story about heroes and nations -- it's a story about clashes between great kingdoms personified through individual heroic figures. We've had that kind of concept since the story of Enkidu!

Do you think they'd like the Hobbit parts?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tom Bombadil is revered as a pre-christ God figure

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Applewhite posted:

Yeah but would it be a hit? Would Boromir's allegiance to Gondor and the tragedy of his conundrum resonate with people who have no concepts of duty beyond one's family? Would the idea of alien creatures that look human but are more beautiful and mysterious be intriguing or fascinating to them? Would they understand what an army is? Or a war? Could they grasp the magnitude of a battle that involved tens of thousands?

the quaint milieu reminiscent of pre-industrial britain and the way tolkien works with that might take some time for them but the histories of the andromeda wars (both of which featured massive armies and weapons platforms modern humans would consider magical) would still be fresh in their mindsd. besides the underground people would make their own reboots inevitably. so circa 3,102,000 bc op i think it would be just as likely to be well received as a work of fiction as it was (is) today

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

March 2nd, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Applewhite posted:

Dunno,

Maybe? Their might have been complex social systems we don't know about.

Might be just worth a shrug for them, depending on when exactly you are there multiple hominid species around.

Conflict was probably a thing so they would probably understand it, arguably they would be appaled even more than other folk because it would be a staggeringly huge amount for them to comprehend.

Also you don't need metallurgy to make rings.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 4, 2023

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So like maybe Sauron made a mighty ring of woven reeds

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
No but the cavemen wouldn't understand the writing on it.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Why go back in time and tell them about that when you could let them know the tale of, say, Solid Snake?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Applewhite posted:

No but the cavemen wouldn't understand the writing on it.

They had art and an understanding of symbols, they'd understand that this specific set of scribbles means whatever.

You basically want to go back to before the theorized point where something in our brains just clicked and we became what they call "behaviorally modern"

Also you could use bone, rock, shell, wood, etc for a ring. And decorating with said ring with symbols or whatever would probably not be a shocking or a new concept to them.

We don't really have any real idea of what they would value in a story though, so no clue if they'd actually like it. Would probably get some looks about the giant eagles and the mumukil though since megafauna is something they'd get.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 4, 2023

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Many of our modern story and character archetypes are from classical antiquity, so at least that far back.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Why go back in time and tell them about that when you could let them know the tale of, say, Solid Snake?

They would have trouble with the concept of a heroic snake, since snakes would be an immediate and well known danger. You would have to simplify the metaphors and just call him 'Hard Penis'.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I could totally make a ring if I was a cave man

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm gonna say 12:00:00 AM.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
The oldest fairy tale that's still somewhat well known is 'The Smith and the Devil'. It's a story of smith who makes a bargain with a sinister magic creature to learn his trade, but then tricks it. It has existed for about six thousand years in more or less the same shape.

The idea that making things out of metal requires magical (and maybe even sinister) power is at least that old. If you go anywhere where they know that fairytale, you just tell them Sauron is the same devil from that story and you're golden. People love sequels.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Probably like 5:30, 6:00 or so.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Isengard is a place they've ripped up to mass produce lithics, so its hosed and everywhere you step is razor sharp stone fragments

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Isengard is a place they've ripped up to mass produce lithics, so its hosed and everywhere you step is razor sharp stone fragments

Not a good place to take your hobbits to.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Like, the concept of magic goes way way back, obviously, but I'm not so sure the idea of enchanted objects is as old as magic itself.

Making things might be the oldest kind of magic, if we're talking the sort of magic people can gain through "secret knowledge", instead of just the magic of the natural world.

As soon as you had stuff that needed some real training and skill to create, you had people who had knowledge most other people did not possess, could do things other people couldn't easily copy, and had learned it from respected and unusual old people. That became magic pretty much instantly.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Tuesday?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

yeah. It's probably loving tuesday. You working that day?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'd say about the time Illuvatar made the first elves. They might be pissed off about all the spoilers though, given that they haven't had a chance to live through it yet.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

That's not how I remember it. Song after song that you can just skip. Actual story maybe 15 pages

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Once you go back in time far enough, LOTR just becomes science fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I had some tapes of The Hobbit when I was a kid and I would always fast forward the stupid rear end songs. No one like to read lyrics