Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lore o da rings (Cockney accent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imo any bronze age settled civilization would get it easily. Earlier than that, you might have a problem, but perhaps not for the reasons you expect.

A stone age hunter gatherer might understand all the elf, hobbit, orc bullshit just fine - oh so they are good / evil/ corrupted spirits, yes, we got some of those around as well -, the same with spells, cursed etc., that's just part of everyday life as far as people used to be concerned, but I dunno how well he would comprehend the idea of political struggle between major city dwelling nations fielding giant armies, the vying for land etc., even the symbolic meaning of just the rings themselves would probably be incomprehensible on multiple levels (literally, as products of metallurgy, and symbolically with both the act of smithing and gifting of the rings, and the rings themselves used to convey political ideas that probably wouldn't have fully existed in his society).

Thanks for attending my tedtalk

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 4, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Applewhite posted:

If you magically got sent back in time with a copy of the Hobbit and the complete Lord of the Rings Trilogy, when is the earliest era where you could tell the story and have it be received as enthusiastically as in the modern era? (Assume you can speak the local language.)

Like, if you told a story about a magic ring to cavemen with no understanding of metallurgy or ring making, the concept of the ring would be completely lost on them, so obviously that would be too early. But I don't think you'd need to wait until the invention of the clock (Bilbo has a clock on his mantelpiece) for audiences to follow and understand the plot. So where and when is the earliest time when you could read aloud from LotR and have it be a smash hit?

when ever gilamesh was written. so during the time of cave men but right on the edge of civilization starting to

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

Imo any bronze age settled civilization would get it easily. Earlier than that, you might have a problem, but perhaps not for the reasons you expect.

A stone age hunter gatherer might understand all the elf, hobbit, orc bullshit just fine - oh so they are good / evil/ corrupted spirits, yes, we got some of those around as well -, the same with spells, cursed etc., that's just part of everyday life as far as people used to be concerned, but I dunno how well he would comprehend the idea of political struggle between major city dwelling nations fielding giant armies, the vying for land etc., even the symbolic meaning of just the rings themselves would probably be incomprehensible on multiple levels (literally, as products of metallurgy, and symbolically with both the act of smithing and gifting of the rings, and the rings themselves used to convey political ideas that probably wouldn't have fully existed in his society).

Thanks for attending my tedtalk

Those Bronze Age cultures didn't just spring into being out of nothing. Gobekli Tepe and other recent archaeological digs have demonstrated that late neolithic societies were a lot more organized and sophisticated than previously given credit, capable of coordinating enough labor to build massive permanent building complexes. So like it might fly over the heads of people in 10000 BC, but 5-6000 BC is probably fair game. They knew what farming was, they were dabbling in soft metal crafting, they had cities, they undoubtedly knew some form of warfare. They wouldn't really have reference for the scale of a lot of things but they could probably imagine them. If you've seen a couple hundred dudes charging each other with spears then at some point the thought occurs to you, woah, what if many thousands of guys did the same thing???

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Tolkien probably wrote those books on the plates Joseph Smith hid in his backyard

No way to confirm

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imo the salient question is: would the people of the past agree with removing tom bombadil from the adaptations?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Germans REALLY understood it in the 1930s

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

LOTR sucks rear end. i'd take them some videogames, or a VHS copy of die hard

Barudak
May 7, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Imo the salient question is: would the people of the past agree with removing tom bombadil from the adaptations?

Tell me again, future man, of how I might gently caress the mighty Tigris or Euphrates

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Cut out the lore and watch Orlando Bloom be an elf

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I dunno man, when were loving dorks invented? Whenever that happened, that's the answer.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Applewhite posted:

I bet the classical Hellenic cultures could probably grasp most of the concepts, but the style of storytelling and the themes are very different than the stories they tell. I feel like a story about the clash of mighty nations that didn't mention the gods even once would probably fall flat for them.

The Valar are functionally gods.

I'd plump for around when we get armies and cities and epics so ancient Sumeria or so.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cave man, to me, trying to tell him about the elves: "Shut the gently caress up about this dork poo poo and tell me more about these "hobbit holes". So, you like dig into the earth? And live in the hole? That's some wild poo poo"

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Probably the Germanic peoples that killed the Roman Empire in the 5th century. Elvish has a bit of Gothic, Vandalic, and Latin language in it, and I would imagine the premise sounds like some sort of epic they would have told by a bonfire at night or something :black101:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

STFU NERDS

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

feedmegin posted:

The Valar are functionally gods.

I'd plump for around when we get armies and cities and epics so ancient Sumeria or so.

The Valar are functionally gods yes but they're scarcely mentioned in connection with the events of the story. Hellenic stories had the gods directly involved in basically any major event. Frodo would have to be getting inspiration from Athena and poo poo every ten minutes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Silmarillion is near indistinguishable from any other mytho-poetic poem right down to the gods getting freaky with mortals and making the sun too sexy to look at for too long.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Applewhite posted:

The Valar are functionally gods yes but they're scarcely mentioned in connection with the events of the story. Hellenic stories had the gods directly involved in basically any major event. Frodo would have to be getting inspiration from Athena and poo poo every ten minutes.

You've got Gandalf in that role, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Applewhite posted:

The Valar have servants, like the Eagles and Maiar, in the world. They're also the Elves gods, even in text they're not viewed the same way by men, who view them dimly/distantly and have way more connection to the maiar. One can also make the case, based on the Silmarillion's own wording, the maiar were the humans original gods that got slapped into the pantheon the elves already had when Elves ran the show, so when the Elves lost control sometime during the 3rd age the Valar lost prominence in human religion but left humans with weird polytheistic mess of systems.

Also, I think Lord of the Rings mentions Gondor practices ancestor worship.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 4, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Applewhite posted:

I think the Greeks would understand Gandalf, Sauron etc to be stand in for the gods, it at least agents of the gods.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
The eagles take me away when I'm in danger too

Don't worry I can whistle for a magical horse

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I could worship the beings that these racist rear end Elves tell me don't give a poo poo about me and wont let me into their heaven or I can worship this dude with some sick rear end yellow boots in the woods near my house.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I still don't know how anyone can understand a story told by a man who constantly interrupts himself to discuss the history of every passing cave, field, and hill, at length, none of which bear any relevance to the plot or will ever be mentioned again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I still don't know how anyone can understand a story told by a man who constantly interrupts himself to discuss the history of every passing cave, field, and hill, at length, none of which bear any relevance to the plot or will ever be mentioned again.

Yeah, the Aeneid sucks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just think about it as playing Morrowind and exploring every empty cave in the world before begrudgingly going to Mt Doom / Mt Red

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

I'm in the middle of listening to the unabridged trilogy again on audiobook and I think you might be exaggerating.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Barudak posted:

Yeah, the Aeneid sucks.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I think the concept of “no ring” is timeless op

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Icochet posted:

That's not how I remember it. Song after song that you can just skip. Actual story maybe 15 pages

Touché.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I think the concept of “no ring” is timeless op

The Eye of Sauron, too, if you know what I mean. :goatsecx:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Before they discovered smoking weed they might have understood pipeweed intellectually, but not emotionally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.

Tunicate posted:

Before they discovered smoking weed they might have understood pipeweed intellectually, but not emotionally

The dankest weed in the Southfarthing