Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Imo the salient question is: would the people of the past agree with removing tom bombadil from the adaptations?

Tell me again, future man, of how I might gently caress the mighty Tigris or Euphrates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Silmarillion is near indistinguishable from any other mytho-poetic poem right down to the gods getting freaky with mortals and making the sun too sexy to look at for too long.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Applewhite posted:

The Valar are functionally gods yes but they're scarcely mentioned in connection with the events of the story. Hellenic stories had the gods directly involved in basically any major event. Frodo would have to be getting inspiration from Athena and poo poo every ten minutes.

The Valar have servants, like the Eagles and Maiar, in the world. They're also the Elves gods, even in text they're not viewed the same way by men, who view them dimly/distantly and have way more connection to the maiar. One can also make the case, based on the Silmarillion's own wording, the maiar were the humans original gods that got slapped into the pantheon the elves already had when Elves ran the show, so when the Elves lost control sometime during the 3rd age the Valar lost prominence in human religion but left humans with weird polytheistic mess of systems.

Also, I think Lord of the Rings mentions Gondor practices ancestor worship.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 4, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I could worship the beings that these racist rear end Elves tell me don't give a poo poo about me and wont let me into their heaven or I can worship this dude with some sick rear end yellow boots in the woods near my house.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I still don't know how anyone can understand a story told by a man who constantly interrupts himself to discuss the history of every passing cave, field, and hill, at length, none of which bear any relevance to the plot or will ever be mentioned again.

Yeah, the Aeneid sucks.