Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imo any bronze age settled civilization would get it easily. Earlier than that, you might have a problem, but perhaps not for the reasons you expect.

A stone age hunter gatherer might understand all the elf, hobbit, orc bullshit just fine - oh so they are good / evil/ corrupted spirits, yes, we got some of those around as well -, the same with spells, cursed etc., that's just part of everyday life as far as people used to be concerned, but I dunno how well he would comprehend the idea of political struggle between major city dwelling nations fielding giant armies, the vying for land etc., even the symbolic meaning of just the rings themselves would probably be incomprehensible on multiple levels (literally, as products of metallurgy, and symbolically with both the act of smithing and gifting of the rings, and the rings themselves used to convey political ideas that probably wouldn't have fully existed in his society).

Thanks for attending my tedtalk

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imo the salient question is: would the people of the past agree with removing tom bombadil from the adaptations?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cave man, to me, trying to tell him about the elves: "Shut the gently caress up about this dork poo poo and tell me more about these "hobbit holes". So, you like dig into the earth? And live in the hole? That's some wild poo poo"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Applewhite posted:

The Valar are functionally gods yes but they're scarcely mentioned in connection with the events of the story. Hellenic stories had the gods directly involved in basically any major event. Frodo would have to be getting inspiration from Athena and poo poo every ten minutes.

I think the Greeks would understand Gandalf, Sauron etc to be stand in for the gods, it at least agents of the gods.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just think about it as playing Morrowind and exploring every empty cave in the world before begrudgingly going to Mt Doom / Mt Red