Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Yes, its non sustainable, they're burning their future to keep the present from collapsing a little longer. I just hope what time they're buying with this bullshit runs out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

The latest Anders video suggests yes assuming continued West/NATO support: "a long war of attrition does not favor them [Russia]", so they are aiming to take whatever territory they can, then turn whatever is left of Ukraine into a failed state. "I'm not saying this Russian strategy will work, in fact, I think it won't..."

And this is just today. Ukraine has ample space to increase the consequences of attacks within Russia.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

zone posted:

gently caress your economy! :troll:

I believe the US said you guys should leave Ukraine and welp

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

Try and stop me

Dedicated

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Telsa Cola posted:

Russia has demonstrated that it will retaliate on energy infrastructure in Ukraine in response to the oil industry attacks in Russia and thats absolutely not a sustainable trade for Ukraine.

Russia has not "retaliated" on energy infrastructure. It's been a part of their strategy. Ukraine lost the capability to defend against it when US aid dried up. The attacks on Ukraine energy are going to continue independent of Ukraine's attack on Russian oil, just like they were constant before Ukraine started targeting oil.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bashez posted:

Russia has not "retaliated" on energy infrastructure. It's been a part of their strategy. Ukraine lost the capability to defend against it when US aid dried up. The attacks on Ukraine energy are going to continue independent of Ukraine's attack on Russian oil, just like they were constant before Ukraine started targeting oil.

nearly three loving years. This is best Russia can do?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bashez posted:

Indeed. And at this point the most effective attacks Ukraine can make are in Russia proper. The loss of another refinery, another power station, is a heavy blow, and they keep coming....

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Indeed. And at this point the most effective attacks Ukraine can make are in Russia proper. The loss of another refinery, another power station, is a heavy blow, and they keep coming....

why are we afraid of these idiots again?

Oh, right. The nuclear weapons

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
2025 or 2026 Russia runs out of spare armour and tanks.

Putin is banking on trading sone space at that point to rebuild and try again in 5 years.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I assume Putin is indeed and without doubt planning around the US Election.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Bashez posted:

They send retaliatory strikes after oil refinery strikes. Like the last two months have seen several fairly large strikes done as a direct response to the oil refinery strikes, and Im not sure anyone, Ukraine, Russia, or the US/UK is actually debating that the strikes were done as a response to the oil refinery strikes.

Burns
May 10, 2008

They need to crank up the deaths of Russians on the battlefield. Im not sure how to do that besides dropping bigger rear end bombs on them.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Telsa Cola posted:

They send retaliatory strikes after oil refinery strikes. Like the last two months have seen several fairly large strikes done as a direct response to the oil refinery strikes, and Im not sure anyone, Ukraine, Russia, or the US/UK is actually debating that the strikes were done as a response to the oil refinery strikes.

They would send retaliatory strikes after any kind of successful counter-movement by ukraine. "Don't hit us or we'll hit you even harder" doesn't apply when they're hitting you as hard as they can everywhere. As damaging as this is to the civilian population it was even worse when it was outright terror strikes on civilian residential structures.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

Russia has been targeting energy infrastructure for more than a year, trying to freeze out the Ukrainians last winter and this.

It's hard to describe a specific wave of an ongoing campaign as particularly "retaliatory." Russia claimed some of them were retaliatory, but odds are they were long planned and it was just convenient to describe them that way.

Rusty 1983 Lada
Apr 29, 2024

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

why are we afraid of these idiots again?

Oh, right. The nuclear weapons

lol da noooooooks

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

How will Russia run out of tanks given Ukraine is operating like under 100 western MBT's?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rusty 1983 Lada posted:

lol da noooooooks

fuckin hilarious.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

How will Russia run out of tanks given Ukraine is operating like under 100 western MBT's?

Why are those two related?

Russian tanks are destroyed by drones and artillery far faster than they can be manufactured. They're drawing heavily from old Soviet stocks and they're getting down to the bottom of the barrel.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I used to live in a population center, within 10 miles of a naval air field. Now I live within 5 miles of a functional Space launch site. A nuclear strike is a real thing I have to think about

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
won't have to think about it very long if it happens, but, it is always in the back of my mind

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I used to live in a population center, within 10 miles of a naval air field. Now I live within 5 miles of a functional Space launch site. A nuclear strike is a real thing I have to think about

Not really

If anything you're perfectly placed to never have to worry about it

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
As far as I’m aware, it’s unclear if Russias nukes are even launch worthy.

As has been pointed out before, maintaining this kind of technology needs trained staff and regular maintenance, both of which don’t seem like much of a priority right now.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

tango alpha delta posted:

As has been pointed out before, maintaining this kind of technology needs trained staff and regular maintenance, both of which don’t seem like much of a priority right now.

Also Russia sent over at least some of the nuclear technicians to the front lines and got mulched instantly so...

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

how are your balls?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Rusty 1983 Lada posted:

lol da noooooooks

Whose re-reg are you?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Shinjobi posted:

Not really

If anything you're perfectly placed to never have to worry about it

not for very long at least

TaurusTorus posted:

how are your balls?

low and lazy

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

tango alpha delta posted:

It's a percentage issue.

Based on standard nuclear deterrence strategies, there would be a LOT of noise being made if we actually believed Russia had anywhere close to zero functional nukes left, so yea this is not the case.

At the same time, the observations about maintenance and stuff mean the number is not 100% operational either.

There are tons of complex computer simulations that can be and have been done to estimate what it is, more specifically than "number between 0 and 100 exclusive".

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Russia has been targeting energy infrastructure for more than a year, trying to freeze out the Ukrainians last winter and this.

It's hard to describe a specific wave of an ongoing campaign as particularly "retaliatory." Russia claimed some of them were retaliatory, but odds are they were long planned and it was just convenient to describe them that way.

Yeah, and if making these kinds of claims will convince the particularly credulous to try to put pressure on Ukraine to stop hitting Russia where it hurts, Russia has everything to gain from saying them and nothing to lose.

In other words, it's just another bluff.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't give a gently caress about Russia's nukes.

A known "unknown"

Let's keep rocking their infrastructure, every day.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Ronwayne posted:

They would send retaliatory strikes after any kind of successful counter-movement by ukraine. "Don't hit us or we'll hit you even harder" doesn't apply when they're hitting you as hard as they can everywhere. As damaging as this is to the civilian population it was even worse when it was outright terror strikes on civilian residential structures.

my post was literally "Russia is firing missiles/drones at Ukrainian energy infrastructure as a reponse to the oil refinery strikes and thats not an exchange Ukraine can win".

I'm not really sure what you are arguing.

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah I literally did not post anywhere they hadn't been already doing it. But they have notably stepped up in doing it since the refinery strikes began and if you don't think thats related, even if it's just because it now gives them cover to do it more frequently, then I have a bridge to sell you.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

my post was literally "Russia is firing missiles/drones at Ukrainian energy infrastructure as a reponse to the oil refinery strikes and thats not an exchange Ukraine can win".

I'm not really sure what you are arguing.

Yeah I literally did not post anywhere they hadn't been already doing it. But they have notably stepped up in doing it since the refinery strikes began and if you don't think thats related, even if it's just because it now gives them cover to do it more frequently, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Do you think Russia is refraining from striking certain targets in Ukraine, because of "Decorum"?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

redshirt posted:

Do you think Russia is refraining from striking certain targets in Ukraine, because of "Decorum"?

Nope

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Telsa Cola posted:

Why is that not an exchange Ukraine can win? They weathered it (relatively) fine the first year when Russia made it a major part of their strategy to try to freeze out Ukrainians over the winter by blowing up energy infrastructure.

Wrt "a war of attrition favors Whoever" (not explicitly aimed at you TC), I don't think it's possible to say with as little information we have with non-secret sources. Yeah Ukraine has a smaller conscript pool to draw from, but Russia is losing them way faster and force generation isn't just a matter of "how many dudes are there". Ukraine doesn't have tons of Western armor (or in general), but Russia is spaffing theirs up the wall losing tens per day. I have no idea how much spare capacity lies behind any of the factors that are keeping either side in the fight, so ... as long as Ukraine is willing to fight keep sending them what they need.

(also, naively, 5:1 is enough to win: Ukraine has >20% of Russia's population.)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ronwayne posted:

The estimates are that ukraine kills 5 russians for every ukranian killed and that is still not enough for ukraine to win.

I mean.....yeah it is. Russia doesn't have a population five times Ukraine. If both sides decide "Ok we are doing this" Russia dies first with those numbers.

It's mostly just saying "Russia stronk!" and that inevitably Ukraine will simply give up. Ok, what if they don't? Ukraine as a nation is destroyed, but so is Russia. Where is the belief that Russia inevitably will deal with collapse better coming from? It's not the manifest reality of their incompetence, or the bumblefuck of a near coup that almost kind of happened recently. There hasn't been a single sign of Russia dealing well with hardship at all, come to think of it. So really, where is this mindset coming from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Ukraine can win and survive this if Europe grows a spine.
Yes Europe has been sending some stuff but imo it‘s nowhere near enough and we can afford to send a lot more.

To me it‘s a simple calculation, supply Ukraine with more than enough gear to win and Europe won‘t need the arms themselves.
Don‘t send enough, Ukraine fails and Europe is fully back into a war with Russia.

Ukraine losing would probably be the death of the EU. While Ukraine winning allows the EU to grow, become tighter and work on a central defense concept.