Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So the explosive goes off prematurely, turning the curtain into an impromptu claymore sending beads to every nearby mobik?

Well, nobody ever accused the average mobik of being very smart, especially when desperation gets involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Are they going to officially restart the international slave trade, or just start raiding coast lines?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Just steal some more kids

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1783465710196244632

quote:

Several regions in Russia have already raised one-time payments to the new servicemen who signed a contract with the Russian Defense Ministry to 1 million rubles. That’s about £9,000 in hand.

In the Krasnodar region, the payment increased from 300 thousand rubles to 1 million from the beginning of 2024 to now.

In other regions, such payments are slightly smaller, starting from 500-600 thousand rubles from regional authorities plus 200 thousand from the federal budget.

As we see, it is increasingly difficult to attract those Russians who are still alive to commit murders in another country. In addition, Russian authorities may be banking on the fact that some may not get paid, payments can be delayed, and if they die, there will be no long-term care for the serviceman.

Obviously, an ordinary Russian will never see that kind of money in his life at work. If we draw a parallel between the minimum wages in Russia and the West, Russian serviceman receives an amount equivalent to £50-100,000 in England just for signing up to the war.
Ackchyually they are signing military contracts out of love for their motherland, and not because they're being lured by money to their deaths

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fumble posted:

Are they going to officially restart the international slave trade, or just start raiding coast lines?

Human cloning, comrade.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
I hope we see the Kerch bridge go down permanently this year

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/blyskavka_ua/status/1783498404338737383

quote:

⚡️The head of the KGB of Belarus, Tertel, said that they had allegedly "prevented drone strikes from Lithuania on targets in Minsk and its suburbs."

Tertel did not provide any evidence and said that it was "impossible to provide detailed information yet." There were also statements about alleged "attempts to transfer weapons from Ukraine and training of Ukrainian militants."

At the same time, self-proclaimed President Lukashenka claimed that "the Belarusian opposition wants to seize Kobryn district, declare a new government there and appeal to NATO to send troops."
Any proof? no? :rolleyes:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe Belarus should start their own sideshow and attack a NATO country to see what happens.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Now that's a guy you can trust!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the president is vaguebooking as a matter of state, then the head of the intelligence agency starts making 2nd-year-middle-school statements also as a matter of state

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Terlet

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Strategic Tea posted:

Ukraine War: Le Cigare Volant

Ukraine War: Fingertips

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the president is vaguebooking as a matter of state, then the head of the intelligence agency starts making 2nd-year-middle-school statements also as a matter of state

His uncle at the Nintendrone factory told him so.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

Maybe Belarus should start their own sideshow and attack a NATO country to see what happens.

That'd be nice, I haven't been to the circus in ages.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

He's keeping the proof in a box next to the 28,000 sealed indictments and the information that will lead to the arrest of Hilary Clinton.

Fumble posted:

Dear Vladimir Vladimirovich we're with the 69th unit of the 420th babushka brigade, and we're not traitors, however........

Burns
May 10, 2008

There was apparently a gently caress up at Ocheretyne north west of Avdiivka. Apparently a UA brigade pulled back and their relief brigade never showed leaving an opening the Russians ended up pushing through. This may throw the Ukrainian line into retreat further south.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

He's keeping the proof in a box next to the 28,000 sealed indictments and the information that will lead to the arrest of Hilary Clinton.

Maybe he wants NATO to get to him first then, RIP lol

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

:goonsay: Further proof that the wise and brave Vladimir Vladimirovich is fighting to save the simple Ukrainian peasants from colonization by the perfidous anglo-saxons

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Burns posted:

There was apparently a gently caress up at Ocheretyne north west of Avdiivka. Apparently a UA brigade pulled back and their relief brigade never showed leaving an opening the Russians ended up pushing through. This may throw the Ukrainian line into retreat further south.

Ah I was wondering what was the mistake that the UA army did that people were talking about lately, thanks! I haven't had the time to check the usual places.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Seems like a really basic mistake. An entire brigade just "oops forgot" that part of the line. Certainly possible Occam's razor and all. Or if you want the CIA warlock tower psyop version, opening a part of the line and letting the Russians stick their necks out as the new gear arrives seems like you might sucker them into over extending. Ukraine has become quite deft at the soft fallback ambush. Risky but potentially rewarding.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Then that's what they would have said happened.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This isn’t 10-dimensional chess, it’s the kind of thing that happens when an organization of any kind is under enormous pressure and lacks resources: things start falling through the cracks, and the worse the pressure gets, the bigger those cracks become. It’s a warning sign that needs to be taken very, very seriously by every nation that claims to support Ukraine. Get your poo poo together and locate your backbones, western governments.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kestral posted:

This isn’t 10-dimensional chess, it’s the kind of thing that happens when an organization of any kind is under enormous pressure and lacks resources: things start falling through the cracks, and the worse the pressure gets, the bigger those cracks become. It’s a warning sign that needs to be taken very, very seriously by every nation that claims to support Ukraine. Get your poo poo together and locate your backbones, western governments.

Yeah. Russia is close to winning through sheer numbers and disregard for human life on a massive scale. Ukraine aren't invincible superheroes, they're just a people trying not to get exterminated.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Russia isn't close to winning at all. They advanced a couple of km in the past few months. You need to put things in perspective.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

By "close to winning" I meant that if the aid package hadn't gone through and nobody from the EU picked up the slack there was a good chance Ukraine would've lost by the end of the year.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Sacrificing hundreds of thousands of the people you claim to protect in order to bolster your dwindling population via forced assimilation,
ruining two economies with one SMO is certainly a winning move.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Runa posted:

By "close to winning" I meant that if the aid package hadn't gone through and nobody from the EU picked up the slack there was a good chance Ukraine would've lost by the end of the year.

I see. I don't necessarily agree with your "end of the year" assessment but I agree that stalling aid for six month has had a clear impact on the war, allowing Russia to retake the initiative (because Ukraine was unable to hit staging areas and forces concentrations due to lack of ammunition).

I think they could hold out for a while longer, and with Russia making advances Putin would definitely not be incentivized to agree to a ceasefire.

The EU did thankfully pick up some of the slack by way of Czechia "finding" close to a million artillery shells, and later Estonia iirc, but as to what has been actually delivered to date it's unknown but probably a lot less. The EU simply isn't capable to support Ukraine's war effort by itself. It doesn't have the industrial capacity, at least not yet. (And it's gonna take a long time to get there.)

One thing I do wholeheartedly agree with is your point about Ukraine not being invincible superheroes. There's a bit too much of "10.000 IQ Ukraine outmaneuvers dumb Russia in a 10d chess move" posting going on sometimes.
They're determined and smart, but outnumbered and outgunned; and definitely not super human.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
It's less that Ukraine is playing 10d chess and more that Russia keeps rolling natural 1s.
It's difficult to not look competent fighting the second army of the world.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
https://x.com/TallbarFIN/status/1783181287383003428

lol

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Solovyov and his show guests all seem obsessed with being able to nuke Berlin/Helsinki/Paris/London in ninety seconds. Moving a missile a thousand miles closer to shave of 30 seconds of flight time makes perfect sense.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It doesn't have a military purpose, is to scare Western morons who hear "Russia missile border" and instinctively freak out

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Reminder that the Republic of Finland is only like 500 km at its widest.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Avirosb posted:

It's less that Ukraine is playing 10d chess and more that Russia keeps rolling natural 1s.
It's difficult to not look competent fighting the second army of the world.

The problem is they appear to get infinite rerolls and the will to keep on rolling those lives away with little to no effective internal pushback.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1783604825352978783

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

"We paid up our protection money, why are you not protecting us?" Is not a healthy question to have lingering over your national protection racket.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Runa posted:

Yeah. Russia is close to winning through sheer numbers and disregard for human life on a massive scale. Ukraine aren't invincible superheroes, they're just a people trying not to get exterminated.

as other posters noted itt, Russia isn't close to winning. Also even if Russia takes Kyiv, they'll face an insurgency that would make Afghanistan look tame

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vampire Panties posted:

as other posters noted itt, Russia isn't close to winning. Also even if Russia takes Kyiv, they'll face an insurgency that would make Afghanistan look tame

And given even Russia's successful advances only gain them mere meters, it'd take them years to reach Kyiv.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CommieGIR posted:

And given even Russia's successful advances only gain them mere meters, it'd take them years to reach Kyiv.

It doesn't usually look like that for long unfortunately. If you are continuously making advances in the meters, it's usually a sign that your adversary is losing resources and those meters will soon turn into km. At some point the front collapses and you can roll in as fast as your logistics allow.

Sure Ukraine is rolling back slowly and inflicting tremendous casualties on Russia, but Russia still appears to be ok with that trade. Ukraine is somewhat lucky that Russian logistics are so poor and they can't exploit the situation to its fullest.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Blistex posted:

It doesn't usually look like that for long unfortunately. If you are continuously making advances in the meters, it's usually a sign that your adversary is losing resources and those meters will soon turn into km. At some point the front collapses and you can roll in as fast as your logistics allow.

Sure Ukraine is rolling back slowly and inflicting tremendous casualties on Russia, but Russia still appears to be ok with that trade. Ukraine is somewhat lucky that Russian logistics are so poor and they can't exploit the situation to its fullest.

Russia is okay with doing that trade because they are not actually doing great strategically in the region - I wouldn't pretend that somehow its ok because they think it'll result in a win - they have thrown an immense amount of resources and manpower into an effective grinder that is not resulting in equal results.

And while logistics is one major issue with Russia's advance, the other is there is no real strategy other than throwing men and materials into a slaughterhouse. That's not a winning combo even if it gains you some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Sometimes I just wish NATO would put troops on the ground in Ukraine and dare Russia to do something about it.
Just like a thousand Swedish marines landed in Odessa, frothing at the mouth and looking for a do-over of Poltava.