Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
This again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

A Sometimes Food posted:

I assume like most game it depends on what the squirrels eat. Ones living off forage in woodlands are probably fine, ones gorged on nuts and fruits are probably delicious. Ones that raid dumpsters not so much.

Squirrels in the NE US taste very bitter in the spring and fall when they're surviving on tree nuts (largely acorns).

They're better in the summer, especially yearlings. Super lean like rabbit, best in stews.

Source: My buddy shot a few and I grilled 'em.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Warbadger posted:

Ok, so we imagine they've got a legit big army fully equipped with the best gear and super well trained ninja operator types. Totally real and strong and that dude's friend.

And they aren't using it. Instead they throw mountains of irreplaceable equipment into important battles along with rear echelon troops to accomplish nothing while the ubermensch legion sits on its rear end. I guess waiting for the key moment when a breakthrough happens so they can... drive in against little resistance to occupy some territory up to the next line of contact?

Now imagine thinking this is smart.

When I played Magic:The Gathering, this strategy was referred to as 'Malling it'. Drawing out the game for no reason and giving your opponent more chances to pull back and challenge you. As though you were playing friends in a mall cafeteria and nothing was at stake.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

uhhh sure but i'm saying "Dams are beefy but they're not designed to counter munitions" based off wiki and i guess that ep of the simpsons with niles is dumb. they are now and have been ever since someone paying for one to last longer than a war thought "what if they drag a cannon over there?" it's vital infrastructure an enemy would definitely target, not a rinky dink money laundering operation lol

Aren't nuclear power plant containment vessels built to withstand direct attack for a reasonable amount of time too?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
What the gently caress I went to a Ren Faire for the afternoon and Putin capitulated to prigozin? He didn't even try!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You know here's the really terrifying thing about this that we can actually discuss without speculating and I can't speculate. Two different groups were able to get within a few miles of the nuclear weapons in russia. That's not a joke that's not something that can be debated the nuclear weapons in Russia were almost taken by two non-state actors over the course of a month a loving month.

Wait what was the first time? Did the People's Liberation Front of Russia or whatever they're called almost seize a nuke base?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Toxic Mental posted:

Everyone welcome weg on board as the thread's newest IK. Please give him the same respect and accountability that you'd give to me.

Who?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

A while ago Wargaming, the guys who operate World of Tanks and World of Warships, closed their RU servers and allowed people to migrate to the EU servers. There were already plenty of RU/UA players on the EU servers before then, but now there's LOTS.

Anyway, I've started saying "Слава Україні!" in the all chat prior to games. If there's any answer, it's usually there's one of two options: "Героям слава!" or a long rant in Russian, and for the second guys I have a second stored line in Russian about my views on Putin ready to drop in chat. Over this past year it has made plenty of people so loving incandescent that they either spend a ton of time in the game yelling in Russian at me, or after the game in private messages.

I don't give a poo poo if you're a Russian guy who wants to play on EU servers, but if you're the kind of Russian guy who feels the need to do racisms at Ukrainians and defend King Putin and his Dirlewagner Brigades everywhere, then gently caress off.

I played Warthunder back in 2014 and me and my buddy painted our planes like the Ukrainian flag and changed our contrails to be yellow and blue and started every match by climbing and saying "No Russia in Ukraine."

The amount of lovely YAK-9s stall-climbing up to try and shoot us was funny.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ahh, there's the problem. Passport was expired.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

HonorableTB posted:

A bigger thing about grifting away the nukes is a matter of customer: who would you "safely" be able to sell a grifted nuclear warhead to and survive long enough to enjoy your ill-gotten wealth? The amount of actors that could reasonably buy a grifted warhead or anything of the sort is a short enough list that there's no possible way you'd ever be able to get away with it.

The reason they go to the threat well with nukes is because it is advantageous to remind everyone of their existence - not as a real threat but to remind the west of the deterrent effect they have. The quickest way to loving around and finding out is to bluff about your nukes working when they don't, that's not a bluff you as a nation can survive if called. Again let me point out that the Soviet Union as a nation-state entity disintegrated around the nuclear forces and while the Red Army was engaged in a coup, the professionalism of the strategic missile forces never suffered or degraded.

Russian nuclear capabilites are extremely known quantities because neither the Russians nor the US have significantly bothered to upgrade or modernize nuclear forces beyond the required maintainence and upkeep. You don't need to modernize much when you're throwing around multiple megatons per warhead in a MIRV

I still bet their poo poo don't work. Also, if they do Counter-Force then the red states go away, win-win!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Tai posted:

Nazi is probably at the point that it's definition is ''someone who doesn't agree with me''. It's not just the Russian government.

Nazis would love to see that label degraded from "A fascist that wants to genocide basically everyone not white as hell and the right type of Christian."

Don't let them. It's not a label for a simple bigot. It's a label for rabid animals. Some can be cured with travel and introspection, but most need more acute treatments.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

steinrokkan posted:

If Russian boats are built like American littoral ships, Ukraine just needs to wait for them to dissolve in water, as USS Alka Seltzer did.

They're painted. You have to expose the bare un-oxidized aluminum to get that effect.

So they need to be a shaped charge that sand blasts the boat then farts liquid elemental mercury at it.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
"And one more thing, I'm not dead. Be sure to put in the paper how not dead I am. "

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Icochet posted:

I braved -20C weather in my trusty blue jeans for many days and now my piss pipe is infected. It's not all fun and games

Start wearing underwear you filthy beast.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

weg posted:

How would they stop the US military from sending that not so secret mini shuttle up there and loving with it?

That thing could probably just steal it. That's what it's for. Signal intelligence and straight up stealing satellites.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

CommieGIR posted:

Its not large enough to grab a satellite unlike the original Shuttle, but it is totally made to intercept and examine other satellites.

That's fair, nukes can be pretty small but the B only has enough room for like, a dude in the bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Tai posted:

Su-57 is a prime example of everything wrong with the Russian army. It's always 20 years behind NATO now. The Su-57 is a great dog fighter but you aren't dog fighting anyone when F-35's are dropping missiles 300km away to blow you up. Loitering in your blind spot, waiting for you to turn around in the cockpit, then get a gun kill on you because lol.