Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mobby_6kl posted:

What's a good time for this? Haven't been further north than Trollhättan (which isn't much) but I've been meaning to make a trip to Lapland or Tromsø or ideally both at some point. Winter is cool what with the snow and reindeer and northern lights but no idea if it's conductive for general exploration and hiking and what not.

Please don't go hiking in winter anywhere near Tromsø unless you are very good at cross country skiing, arctic survival and avalanche preparedness. That loving countryside kills a lot of people in winter and is really easy to underestimate. Other that that, the general region is gorgeous and wonderful and I love Tromsø.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Tai posted:

I blame Norway

As well you should.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I would like to declare that I have no association with any associations or their associates.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Do you think the residents of Crimea go around talking like Brits?

It's chewsday innit

*background explosions*

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1661017696971157504?s=20

I used to give Scholz a lot of poo poo in the past, but I have to admit, Germany is really coming around.

Who the gently caress knows what the US will do if a Republican (:smugdon:) wins the next election.

Germany should send a hundred Wiesels and end the war in a month. And probably get thousands of orders from every euro military. Given how Ukraine has demonstrated just how much hurt a smart defensive effort can put on an invader I'd want versatile tactical poo poo over more static gear.

Hell of anything this war is proving that mobility is life in modern warfare.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Philonius posted:

Capabilities of military systems are usually understated a bit (in the west at least), but missile range is an inherently fuzzy concept. A missile might have an absolute maximum range of 50 kilometers, but when it gets there it will have zero energy to maneuver and so the chance of hitting a moving target goes down a lot. If your missile has a 95% kill chance at 30 km, 80% at 40 km and 20% chance at 50km, what is the missile's range?

20% of the time they work at 50 km 100% of the time.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Storkrasch posted:

If Sweden trains Ukrainians, Czechia and Sweden could possibly end the lease and provide them to Ukraine. Czechia is getting F-35s I think, and NATO could probably help them temporarily. Sweden is in a different situation, not being in NATO and relying heavily on its air force.

Well I mean. In NATO in all but name, however there is this

https://www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2023/03/24/nordic-countries-move-toward-linking-their-air-forces-250-planes/

I don't think Sweden is going to have to stand alone for much longer.

Just need to get off their rear end from fika and join NATO already.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

:vince:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
If that dipshit irradiates Europe the mood is gonna get super ugly.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Tai posted:

Comedy option. Zeelensky becomes head of NATO

Comedy option? If Ukraine joins NATO and Zelensky resigns from office I can't think lf anyone better qualified to be Secretary general and what a gently caress you that would be to Putin. If nothing else Stoltenberg could finally step down and I dunno, be reunited with the concept of lutefisk.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Lol what

There’s a military museum I visit on occasion and they have several Viggen, Draken and a Gripen. Viggen is NOT a small plane. 16.4 meters with a 10.6 meter wingspan.

Longer and wider than F-16, Gripen, Draken etc

If anything standing right next to it I was surprised at how loving big it was.

Teknikland? Great place. They also have some cool ground vehicles and a display of what happens when swedes try to cross norwegian mountains.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Why is his eyes closed? Why isn't he moving...

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Our boy has got himself a new table.

Why. The gently caress. Put a square table in that room. Like for gently caress's sake if there was EVER an opportunity to do a round table, this room is it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Wow, actual Fittler.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Is the western industrial complex genuinely unwilling or unable to provide Ukraine with sufficient military means to make warfare to painful for the russians?

That seems very stupid and short-sighted.

I mean while russia is busy with Ukraine they aren't a threat to the rest of us, but that's going to change if they win. Russia has pulled the mask fully off, and I really don't think anything is off the table for Putin. He might want a chunk of any of our countries.

We literally have zero excuse for european military means other than to defend against russia, the only realistic threat. Might as well put it to work for its intended use, it's not as if NATO is losing soldiers.

And not ramping up production? I mean come the gently caress on, absent peace in europe we know from a lot of loving experience that no nation in europe is safe. Russia has broken the european peace that NATO and the UN and even the goddamned EU was supposed to help keep and we are really going to do the thumb twiddling thing again against a country with the gdp a fraction western europe? We are really going to do that?

Seems quite stupid.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Why make it so realistic??

War is hell.

loving incredible display imo.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Blistex posted:

If Europe doesn't want a humanitarian crisis the likes of which they have never seen this century, they need to commit and put real pressure on anyone they can to do likewise.

Putin has made it clear that genocide is on the table, and if the Ukrainian Army collapses the amount of refugees will be enormous and possibly destabilizing to the whole continent.

Which is exactly what Putin is hoping for. Monstrous? Yes, but that's not in any way his problem.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

zone posted:

The second army of the world looks to not be in great shape these days.

Is that cope cage built with a 2x4 and plywood?

Blyat indeed, my nervous friend.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Issaries posted:

Kokoomus .

Høhøhø serr

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm crying like it's 1997

Nice double penetration action

E: Seems like it'd be this one

Still quite a few to go. Should probably focus on the ones that have AA capability, the rest could be hunted down when the F-16s arrive.

That is an insane amount of ships to lose to a country without a navy.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The funny thing is I think this might free the log jam in Congress.

How. I thought ol' Trumpy dictated what republican politicians are allowed to vote on.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Wish we could do a rush order on the latest Gripen model and dump like 100 of them on Ukraine tomorrow.

Man, European readiness is such a failure to plan.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
What pisses me off the most about letting Ukraine down with vehicles, weapons and ammo is how loving good they are at this. Like they are making Russia hurt like they haven't been for over half a century, and all with leftover poo poo. It is insane value for defence dollars.

Europe needs to arm the gently caress up anyway because Putin's ambitions won't stop in Ukraine. And for that we need factories and actual ability to produce. Juice that the gently caress up and send the first batches of everything to Ukraine, how hard can this be? Useless goddamned politicians.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

zone posted:

Two Su-34s were shot down today by Ukrainian air defense.

What the gently caress is happening with the russian air force? Can they handle this level of attrition for long?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
That entire boat was filled with Ukranian POWs :( How could NATO do this???

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Der Kyhe posted:

Congratulations also to the Tsar Vladimir 'shitpants' Putin for making the joint defense treaty encompassing all Nordic countries a reality, his work really made an impact on the NATO expansions policies.

It really cannot be overstated how big a deal this is (locally). Like, this was a major policy goal for nordic politicians in 1949 and even with the post-WWII European situation a pan-nordic defence alliance just could not be cemented, despite the best efforts of our greatest leaders. Like it was Gerhardsen's biggest regret and failure.

Now, Putin has done the loving impossible, and it's about time we order a 20 Gotland class submarines, a few hundred Gripens and a thousand liters milk and put them on the border with Russia.

gently caress Putin.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Gros Tarla posted:

I'm assuming they are targeting these A-50s to set the stage for the F-16s huh

I would assume. Can't really do offensive operations according to the modern NATO playbook without air power, right?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ronwayne posted:

The venn diagram overlap between "russia does not implode" and "russia unwilling/unable to continue persecuting the war" is a very small area, sadly

That's just brinkmanship with extra steps.

If the US response to russian aggression and expansionism is to chicken the gently caress out, that's going to have some consequences for international relations. Some very beneficial to Russia, and not so much the US.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Why would Luka do this?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

:laffo:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Couldn't happen to a nicer fascist empire

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mobby_6kl posted:

They're not friendly fire incidents :ssh:

I don't understand why they even entered that thing. Like, it was obvious to anyone that this fat gently caress of a plane wouldn't ever be selected.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment. Please also remember you aren't Norway next time you try to gently caress with our borders or land on Svalbard.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ronwayne posted:

There are a ton of hooting bloodthirsty dipshits in every society that don't seem to understand the reason Brevik is not being brutalized in prison is, in part, to spite all the hooting bloodthirsty dipshits.

He can only have three pets in his cell.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Take it from me, when a bunch of loving Quislings want to take political power to aid the cause of the current Strong Man fascist, it really should be a cause for concern.

You hear someone speak highly of them, that's your hint that this person when push comes to shove would collaborate their rear end off and would betray their country (to say nothing of honor, decency and human rights) to said fascists at the mere suggestion of status with the enemy regime.

People are the same as they always were.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
loving lmao

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Philonius posted:

Yeah, the European NATO members were pulling their weight in the cold war.

Take as an example the Netherlands, a small, not particularly warlike country with a population of 15 million people at the time. In 1990, we had :

2889 infantry fighting vehicles. Down to 766 now.
913 main battle tanks. Down to 18 now.
418 units of artillery. Down to 116 now.
211 fighter jets (F16). Down to 42 now.
14 navy destroyers. Down to 6 now.

After a lot of hand wringing, and a lot of political and logistical maneuvering, the UK, US, and western europe between them finally managed to send 90 or so tanks to Ukraine. The Netherlands of 1990 could fill that order by itself , and not really break a sweat doing so.

Jesus.

E: can you even fit 913 mbts inside your borders?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Is this real or just paranoid russian nonsense?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Honestly it still feels like we're doing not nearly enough to help Ukraine, or prepare for belligerent Russia. People tend to forget, we share a border with them and it's not super defensible. If Russia finishes up with Ukraine, we are going to look like a tempting target to a certain shitheel in Moscow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Looks top heavy. Why not design these like you would a miniature tank, with wheels or no? Can't be that hard to flatten that out some, give some stability for fire and manouver. I freely concede I'm no kind of drone designer, but I thought the IFV/tank was sort of the optimal design for this.