Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I really don't get why they did it, this is clearly asking for escalation. Luckily NATO seems to be smart enough to not fall for this but a couple more such incidents and NATO might declare some no-fly zones and enforce them.

Imagine you're on the losing side of a fist fight and you decide to punch a 2m 120kg bystander just for laughs....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The sanctions are also gonna increase or at least the way they are upheld, you can read bits here and there about shell companies being busted.
One of the Swiss private banks got hit last week and I think they decided to stop doing any business with anything Russian now because they claim they got deceived.

So expect Russia's economy to get much worse over time as sanctions get tighter and tighter.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I always figured weapon tech or the military stuff in general is a driver for encryption tech.
Imagine you hack the signal and somehow get the patriots around an important airport to attack civil aircraft…..

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Does this mean there's enough water to move Subs upriver now or is the salinity of the river water too low?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Who threw that stone?
SHE! SHE! SHE! errrm HE! HE!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
There was also an instance where a supply boat managed to hold of a IJN heavy cruiser with a single deck gun because the Japanese were thinking they were up against a fleet.

Shattered Sword and some of the other recommendations from the history book thread and Warship thread are really good reads.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So local Swiss news kinda confused my brain. Nestle is all over the news crying because Russia took away their factories.
- Nestle factories in Russia got nationalised and Nestle lost a lot of money because they wanted to keep milking that market (circumventing sanctions)
- Russia got free factories

Hopefully Ukraine bombs those factories and relieves this pressure from my mind.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Step1: Give the Rosgardia heavy equipment
Step2: Announce mobilization
Step3: Rosgardia murders refusniks?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Is mobile BK wagons the reason Germans call it Burgerkrieg?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Swiss national tv has a good article about a Russian surgeon who's family fled to Estonia and who is now in Kiev trying to help out as a surgeon.

I hope this google translate link works (sorry, first time trying this). Hope it's not geoblocked, if it is I'll quote it later.
https://www-srf-ch.translate.goog/n...&_x_tr_pto=wapp

His opinions on Russian propaganda are a bit worrying for the world. Good man that.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am sure /r/HoI4 is a good source for maps, it even has arrows for attack vectors!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You’re kidding but the only Maus prototype not yet recycled was in Russia.
I‘ve been waiting to see that FrankensteinMaus with some sort of coastal defence or naval gun on it

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

sauer kraut posted:

Even for surplus, that's still a couple hundred million dollars worth in times like these.
They'd probably like an additional NATO Patriot permanently stationed in Estonia or something in exchange.

Estonia has at least one permanent Nato base think around 25k troops from European Nato partners.

But yeah their economy is small and they depend on Western Europe to pay the bill, which should absolutely happen.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

exmachina posted:

I think this is too simplistic: it is more that mobilization will take about a week and if Estonia falls before then defense will become much more difficult. Therefore Estonia's defense is focused on surviving that week.

Lithuania is actually in a much more precarious position as Riga is right on the border and Russia wants to link up with the Kaliningrad exclave.

Edit: if REDFOR ran the Russian military then eastern Europe would be hosed.

It would still trigger NATO defense mode in Europe, so there‘d be 100s of planes and dozens of ships bombing Russia.
Russia being dumb enough to attack the Baltics would probably be the quickest way for the Ukraine war to end on a positive note. Unless the West goes back to appeasement, which I very much doubt could happen in Europe.

Like sure Riga gets destroyed, to later be rebuilt with European funds, while Russia gets decimated with no way back.

That‘s the simple way a conventional war would go, everything else involving Nukes is Clancy chat and kinda pointless.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
We are so good with secret bunkers that we frequently have to ask the Germans if they know where they are, because nobody knows anymore.

Also those pictures are from WWII „Reduit“ mountain fortresses. Usually there‘s tunnels and poo poo going from gun points to bunkers etc.

The Swiss Army does not have the funds to keep this poo poo alive anymore and is selling some of them, so if you want a bunker in the Swiss Alps, go ahead and buy one.

I know of at least two companies who bought bunkers, built datacenters and now sell „bunker cloud“ services.

Reading up about the reduit plan that the Swiss had in WWII is fun by the way. The tactic was, let the Nazis have the civis while the army is hunkered down in mountain bunkers. Way to defend your population you loving clowns.
Up to this day we have many idiots who believe this strategy and not the gold and weapon trading was the reason we were not attacked.

Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant but the last election and general situation here is poo poo.
I work next to a Rheinmetal factory/r&d center and frequently see the radar/targeting modules for Gepards and similar equipment being used/tested there. 2-3days a week I basically see the stuff we‘re not sending to Ukraine and it‘s a sharp reminder how dumb politics are.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

Those Swiss guns are indeed presighted and have necessarily limited traversal due to terrain.

They are also a relic. Switzerland is completely encircled by friendly nations. Any hypothetical scenario where one of those nations tries to invade Switzerland is set far enough in the future that anything installed in those emplacements is obsolete.

You should send an E-Mail to the Swiss parliament about this, they ought to know we already lost a possible war before it even starts because everyone close enough to attack us is way stronger or Lichtenstein.

Maybe those Putin enablers will finally decide that exports are fine if they go to NATO aligned nations.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Putin would have already been hosed if Europe actually bothered instead of doing their political bullshit opera.
This war was (maybe still is) a very good chance for Europe to stop bickering, unite and come out of this as a very strong third power bloc that includes Ukraine.

Same for Switzerland, we could have helped Ukraine with weapons and gained some points with the EU which we‘ll need to keep our access to be the leeches we are. Swiss weapon tech is good enough for the NATO market, instead of securing access and trust forever, we are locked out of that market for good now. Kinda funny how a law made to prevent supplying African warlords turned into the sword that cut the head from the Swiss arms indsutry, because of a war with Russia.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Wall-e's sinister brother E-Wall scares me just a little bit.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Spring, Purge, Summer, Autumn, Winter the 5 seasons in Russia

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Ukraine can win and survive this if Europe grows a spine.
Yes Europe has been sending some stuff but imo it‘s nowhere near enough and we can afford to send a lot more.

To me it‘s a simple calculation, supply Ukraine with more than enough gear to win and Europe won‘t need the arms themselves.
Don‘t send enough, Ukraine fails and Europe is fully back into a war with Russia.

Ukraine losing would probably be the death of the EU. While Ukraine winning allows the EU to grow, become tighter and work on a central defense concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It‘s more likely Russia is doing more attacks because someone sold them some stuff or they found more somewhere.

In case you missed it, Russia is the side who can just go home to end this.