Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

the holy poopacy posted:

That's not a product of the war though, he used to be a Dominions youtuber

It's funny, if you go back and watch his Dominions games now, it's like he was meant to do this. He goes into his first two Dom5 multiplayer games, and wins utterly dominating victories over some extremely skilled players. Throughout the whole series he's using the same language and frameworks that are now being used in his videos on Ukraine, the defense industry, national defense strategy, diplomacy, etc., and he's just savagely owning these much more experienced players with it.

For folks interested in Perun as a person, they're fascinating videos. He's very careful to never mention who he works for or what he does, but he'll discuss at length his personal philosophies around diplomacy and conflict in ways that make it clear he's not only put a lot of thought into it, but that he's deeply morally invested in these ideas. If he'd put that content out post-Ukraine I'd dismiss it as "things youtubers say to make themselves sound thoughtful," but he was doing this for an audience of a couple hundred views at a time, essentially talking into a void.

Also he hauls the insane ghosts of ancient murdered gods back from the Underworld to fight for him, and names them after Rupert Murdoch and other Australian conservatives, so, proclick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Perun's day job is vaguely understood to be in "Defence procurement". He does travel extensively for whatever that is meant to be and I think given the depth of his knowledge and interest, that would probably make sense that this is his job to know such things.

Yep, that's what I was trying to get across in that post: it's not just a job for him, he's working in something he's personally invested in and passionate about, to the point where he'll stop in the middle of reviewing a turn in this mind-bogglingly complex strategy game, and essentially talk into the void about how the situation he's found himself in runs up against his deeply-held beliefs about how states and their agents should behave toward one another. Frankly I respect the hell out of him for that attitude.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

appropriatemetaphor posted:

calvary and turrents defending the nucular silos

At the bottom of a chazum

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Philonius posted:

If only. We had 200 F16s at the peak in the early 90s. That number has steadily dwindled as airframes were taken out of service and not replaced, and that's only accelerated as they are being replaced by F35s. I think we had about 50 or so F16s before we transferred the 18 to Ukraine.

It's a bit depressing, looking back at the state of the military at the end of the cold war, and seeing just how much has been economized away. The Netherlands by itself had over 900 Leopard tanks in 1990. We could have supplied all tanks sent to Ukraine by ourselves, without breaking too much of a sweat. Currently we have 0.

Turns out the real peace dividend is getting to watch helplessly as Russia warcrimes its way across your friendly neighbors.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Karate Bastard posted:

Beau says the higher estimate for remaining russian A-50 planes up and running is 6 in total for the entire country, lower estimate 3.

I don't know where he gets these estimates.

Serious question: What makes this guy's unsourced estimates worth posting? To my limited understanding of his channel, his main qualifications are in human trafficking.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Tunicate posted:

Just in time for lab diamonds to drop the price through the floor

Did some breakthrough or market shakeup happen with lab diamonds recently? I’ve been hearing “lab diamonds will make natural diamonds cheap” for what feels like decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
This isn’t 10-dimensional chess, it’s the kind of thing that happens when an organization of any kind is under enormous pressure and lacks resources: things start falling through the cracks, and the worse the pressure gets, the bigger those cracks become. It’s a warning sign that needs to be taken very, very seriously by every nation that claims to support Ukraine. Get your poo poo together and locate your backbones, western governments.