Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Let's have a clean and friendly war, lads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nooner posted:

I'm not reading the whole OP, whats the haps on saying the LOTR word, is that off the table still?

Please don't call Putin a greedy dwarf

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why would FSB want to kill Kadyrov, though. He is an important state asset. Anyway, I'm afraid the sources reporting the supposed poisoning are dubious at best

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nooner posted:

Was kadyrov causing enough trouble to get the ole spicy tea?

It seemed like he was just a mostly harmless (for Putin) dumbass that was keeping Chechnya in line

The was speculation he and Prigozhin were considering an attempt to oust Shoigu, but I don't think it's been substantiated. Kadyrov has nothing to gain from rocking the boat, he's already a total ruler of his kingdom, and the beneficiary of a very generous Muscovite tribute.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

the holy poopacy posted:

A few weeks ago he was talking about wanting to form his own PMC, so I guess it's conceivable Moscow thought he was getting too big for his britches? But this again seems like it would more likely point to a rival rather than his boss (assuming the whole thing isn't made up.)

I mean he already has a personal PMC in all but name, in the form of Chechen forces, and it's even funded by Russian budget. Yes, if he has enemies trying to kill him, I think it's safe to say they aren't working for Putin.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Btw, who are the dedicated thread iks? I don't see it mentioned in the op.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Futanari Damacy posted:

If we're to be successful with this, one thing that has to stop is the false equivalencies. They're a huge red flag for a number of reasons.

We are to infer from this statement that because the Russian army = Wehrmacht, that Putin = Hitler, Russia = Nazi Germany, and so forth ad nauseum. The purpose of using such equivalency is to get other people frothing at the mouth, because everyone correctly agrees that Nazis = poo poo. But all it does is trivialize the horrors of the Second World War. We've heard it every time America has an enemy- Saddam is worse than Hitler, Gaddafi is worse than Hitler, Maduro (lol) is worse than Hitler, and on and on and on. To those of us whom that war actually has meaning beyond video games, they are not the meaningful comparisons that the people blithely making them think they are.

If you want to know who the Nazis are, they will gladly tell you. Heck, they have a whole pantheon of symbols that they've stolen from various non-poo poo belief systems and permanently corrupted the meaning of. For those wanting to get a better sense of how to identify a real neo-Nazi, here's a good resource to get started: https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbols/search?f%5B0%5D=topic%3A1705

Makes u think

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Kadyrov is sick, alright. Sick in the head :grin:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The reason the ruble is "stable" is that the central bank effectively ceased all international currency trading. So it has a nominal value, but it's fictional.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
But Lenin is the madman who invented Ukraine??? Surely we wouldn't want to remind people of an anti Russian radical like that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Welcome to the historically Canadian territory of Nunavut

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Personally I love war

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mr Putin can negotiate for peace right now by jumping from a window of his choice, ideally landing on top of Shoigu.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
When you think about it, isn't anti-imperialism a form of imperialism aimed against imperialists?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A key factor in the Crimea discussion over whether the Russians in Crimea have a right to join Russia by the virtue of forming a regional demographic plurality is that under Russian rule, there is no such a thing as protection of civil rights for the minorities living there, including not only ethnic Ukrainians, but also the Tartars, who have already seen their community persecuted under Russian authority, and others. While under Ukraine, there was no violation of the rights of Russians; the majority has no right to impose their will on the minority if it would lead to harm to the latter, arguing otherwise would be a textbook example of the tyranny of the majority, unfortunately appealing to naked chauvinistic nationalism and ethnic Russian supremacy is a core part of Russian regime playbook, and exactly what the 2014 occupation was about.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ukraine cut off a source of agricultural water, not drinking water. Ukraine has no moral obligation to support the economy of its enemy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It would be kinda sad if Russia had to rely on informants to figure out if a public object is a military installation or a mall. More likely they don't care or they use doctored language for plausible deniability.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if he was under direct orders to label civilian shopping centers as military post facto.

Yeah, that's what I meant

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Brits would kill for a squirrel

Even before the war

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HonorableTB posted:

its true, this squirrel is eating better than me. skabayeva has all the scoops, western societies in starvation rations

edit: a shameful snipe

British children are starving in the streets so this squirrel can grow fat. Shameful

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah but these dudes aren't just standing around in a huge clill.

All of Wagner files into an abandoned building with a huge "free toilets" sign

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Not another CoLoR rEvOlUtIoN

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Blowing up Nordstream was necessary for Europe's own future, like cutting a hopeless addict off from his dealer. So if Ukraine or Americans really did it- Cheers

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

For all the Nordstream chat, if they wanted to keep using it, couldn’t they just, like, repair it?

In the day somebody explained that when there's such a catastrophic breach and the whole pipe is infiltrated with sea water for any amount of time, it pretty much requires a complete rebuild.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Karate Bastard posted:

Fun fact, the word robot comes from the russian word for worker.

Threw me off for a fair bit, looking at a video way back about work, working, and workers, and they kept talking about "robots" while only ever having humans in frame.

It's from Czech, coined by the Capek brothers for the theatrical play R.U.R.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cugel the Clever posted:

A bit of a tangent from the war coverage.

Thank you, this was a great post

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Flavahbeast posted:

The WWF has been designated a foreign agent by the Russian government

https://www.rbc.ru/politics/10/03/2023/640b711d9a7947b72123165b

At least some good news for the Russian people

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Food situation in Russia is as good as it ever was. Everybody can go and take a look at the communal stick of salami during the appointed visiting hours

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Strategic Tea posted:

Tova deez nuts I am informed we have run out of nuts

Decadent Western nuts have been replaced with plentiful, manly Siberian pinecones

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1634845013879431170
Behold the mighty "armored" vehicles of the Russian army. Outdated garbage that's going to end up but target practice for modern IFVs and tanks sent to Ukraine.

This is the 103rd plant, the other 102 plants are making modern tanks

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Strong "student trying to bullshit his way through an exam while the teacher clearly knows" energy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

So only 1/10,000 of him actually likes Russia? Seems about right

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The treaties are older than NATO and say that unless Turkey itself is at war, it can't let any warships over 10k tons through, unless they are formally based in the Black Sea by one of of the local powers.

Countries at war can't move ships through the straits unless they are returning to their prewar naval base.

If Turkey is at war, it can disregard any limits.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's specifically not mobiks. How they plan to achieve that goal without mobilization is anyone's guess.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DiomedesGodshill posted:

What do new tanks drivers drive if there are no tanks to drive?

You've heard about the trained artillery men who were given an AK and got assigned to infantry for suicide assaults. It's the same deal, I imagine.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Russia could be picky as well, the reason they aren't is because their institutions are dysfunctional and their populace disengaged, not because they've run out of people.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Captain Beans posted:

lol'n that part of modern war is literal shitposting about your enemy and making fun of their defenses on twitter

if only in WW2 you had individual soldiers all talking over shared radio bands calling each other 'dumb bitches' ect.

Back in the day they had to hire a guy with a loudspeaker to make fun of the other side's defenses from within earshot, now we live in much more civilised times

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

This time around we won't accept the fruit hat loophole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, he's not gonna get murked, unfortunately. He's gonna keep making GBS threads his pants until the ripe old age of 99 like Kissinger and all the other ghouls.