Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So hypothetically, if Putin were to travel abroad to non-curbstombed vassal state or likeminded dictatorship, would he be wanted criminal or head of state with diplomatic immunity?

Russia isn't ICC member so they won't be giving a gently caress even after Putin retires or "retires" to live in the farm upstate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

No they really don't have to be that close at the height they fly to peek into Crimea. They have some good optics and many of them carry Synthetic Aperture Radar with crazy ranges.

On one of the forte flights a Russian plane pointed toward its flight path. They steered forte away long before the plane got anywhere close. It seems like they're much more protective of those than their reapers.
(This isn't really a response to your post, you're correct about its crazy range)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Der Kyhe posted:

So hypothetically, if Putin were to travel abroad to non-curbstombed vassal state or likeminded dictatorship, would he be wanted criminal or head of state with diplomatic immunity?

Russia isn't ICC member so they won't be giving a gently caress even after Putin retires or "retires" to live in the farm upstate.

In theory he would have diplomatic immunity.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Butterfly Valley posted:

??? It's supremely defensible, given the only route in is the 5km narrow Perekop isthmus, unless they want to make an extremely risky attempt at crossing the Syvash marshlands. Every assault has resulted in disproportionately high casualties for the attacking force. It would be reverse Bakhmut. Makes much more sense to get to the post-2014 border and blow the poo poo out of the Kerch bridge and just wait, although if/when that happens it's going to result in some extremely distressing humanitarian consequences.

Didn't stop anyone in WW2. The whole area is poorly defensible, except the southern part with the mountains.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

This may be controversial, I don't know. But personally I think kidnapping children is bad.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

beer_war posted:

This may be controversial, I don't know. But personally I think kidnapping children is bad.

the "war bad" people would disagree

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Telsa Cola posted:

In theory he would have diplomatic immunity.

Not for acts in violation of jus cogens.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_v_Bow_Street_Metropolitan_Stipendiary_Magistrate,_ex_parte_Pinochet

Certain crimes are considered a violation of peremptory norms, including crimes against humanity, slavery, piracy, etc and it is quite possible if put in the dock at the Hague he would be found not to have head of state immunity

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Cthulu Carl posted:

Which brigade do you think with have the most Weedlord Bonerhitlers signed up?

Probably the 420th brigade of the 69th division.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Cthulu Carl posted:

Which brigade do you think with have the most Weedlord Bonerhitlers signed up?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Behold! The teef of the dargon

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1636773866042277905

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1636774014038294545

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

I should point out that violations of such peremptory norms of international law are crimes of *universal* jurisdiction. And that any treaty clause in violation of jus cogens is invalid.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Rust Martialis posted:

I should point out that violations of such peremptory norms of international law are crimes of *universal* jurisdiction. And that any treaty clause in violation of jus cogens is invalid.

I have absolutely zero idea, it may be yesterday, so this isnt a gotcha, but whens the last time we actually applied/arrested someone like that.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

I could be wrong here but any state signed up to ICC has an obligation to hand people over. Russia (as are China and India) is not part of the ICC so doesn't have to but if he landed in Brazil, he can be nabbed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Criminal_Court#/media/File:ICC_member_states.svg

Green - ICC
Yellow - Waiting to join
Orange and Red - Not in ICC

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tai posted:

I could be wrong here but any state signed up to ICC has an obligation to hand people over. Russia (as are China and India) is not part of the ICC so doesn't have to but if he landed in Brazil, he can be nabbed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Criminal_Court#/media/File:ICC_member_states.svg

Green - ICC
Yellow - Waiting to join
Orange and Red - Not in ICC

Why is America...oh...

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

I have absolutely zero idea, it may be yesterday, so this isnt a gotcha, but whens the last time we actually applied/arrested someone like that.

Hence, my question. :) If Putin shows up uninvited for an event in ICC country, or for any reason has to land on one, is he going to take off next time on a prison transport, or his Blyat Horse 1?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Telsa Cola posted:

This weekend when I do an International Citizen's Arrest on him!!!

Seriously though I do like that they chose that for the indictment because, well, all their war crimes are indefensible obviously, but since that is the most overtly genocidal it is a good place to start, especially as they are following the Republican approach of openly admitting the crimes and just saying it is no big deal

Also like, Finland going from somewhat tolerating Russia to becoming NATO's longest border with Russia by far is going to be pretty intense huh

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Send Dog the Bounty Hunter after Putin

it's the only way

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Lmao

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Criminal_Court#Jurisdiction_and_admissibility

Scroll down to the various criteria needed for genocide, war crimes or crimes against humanity. putin and friends are ticking off gently caress loads

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also like, Finland going from somewhat tolerating Russia to becoming NATO's longest border with Russia by far is going to be pretty intense huh

It cannot be emphasized how much everyone in Finland wanted Russia to just stop acting like a pill-popping maniac of a neighbor and become normal country with normal relations. And then all that went to shitcan when Putin decided to go full lunatic with his wars of imperial expansion and all hope for small development here and there towards normal relations from the last 30 years just died overnight.

You can see in the NATO support polls where the Finns collectively gave up and bitterly decided to stop internally excusing the Russia's hostile foreign politics that always were there, we just didn't want to see them.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Roblo posted:

Why is America...oh...

I think its the same reason the USA abides by a lot of treaties but hasn't ratified them: a bunch of dipshit senators/congressmen refuse to agree to any international cooperation and AMERICA FIRST idiots agree.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
if ghaddafi was ghaddafied what's it gonna be called for putin

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Pekinduck posted:

I think its the same reason the USA abides by a lot of treaties but hasn't ratified them: a bunch of dipshit senators/congressmen refuse to agree to any international cooperation and AMERICA FIRST idiots agree.

It's mainly cuz the US would be sending a bunch of 'MURICAN military officers to stand trial at the Hague and that doesn't sit well with the military for obvious reasons

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

alcatraz gently caress boy posted:

all the gas released would kill everyone in the room

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

free hubcaps posted:

It's mainly cuz the US would be sending a bunch of 'MURICAN military officers to stand trial at the Hague and that doesn't sit well with the military for obvious reasons

They'd have to actually investigate and dish out real sentences to their troops that do hosed up stuff overseas, instead for example finding that it was in fact the Italian ski-lift's cable that attacked that airplane which was totally cruising on the correct heading and altitude all the time. And definitely not the meathead hooraah Marine aviation idiots playing around while on patrol flight.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

free hubcaps posted:

Ah, yeah. The pentagon is refusing to turn over evidence of Russian war crimes for the same reason. FFS we can stand to lose a few Iraq warcrimes special forces.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1636768534058663936
:qqsay:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Blair and co didn't get yoinked so I think the Pentagon doesn't need to worry that much.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

No, literally, there is no one else

Set
Oct 30, 2005

If he was the captain of a ship, it could be called a putiny! :haw:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
lol'n that part of modern war is literal shitposting about your enemy and making fun of their defenses on twitter

if only in WW2 you had individual soldiers all talking over shared radio bands calling each other 'dumb bitches' ect.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Strategic Tea posted:

No, literally, there is no one else

Well they gotta hurry up if they're gonna send any of em, given that Crybar said last September half the VDV were already out of the fight. Probably closer to 75% as on date.

zone fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 17, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Captain Beans posted:

lol'n that part of modern war is literal shitposting about your enemy and making fun of their defenses on twitter

if only in WW2 you had individual soldiers all talking over shared radio bands calling each other 'dumb bitches' ect.

Back in the day they had to hire a guy with a loudspeaker to make fun of the other side's defenses from within earshot, now we live in much more civilised times

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

"This is outrageous but also it doesn't matter" sums up so much of Russia's attitudes towards foreign relations

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

i know not what cyberwar 1.0 will be fought with but i know that cyberwar 2.0 will be fought with racial slurs and pictures of gaping anuses

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Captain Beans posted:

Well the guys making fun of the defenses in Zaporizhzhia were Rusich (neonazi mercenary group working for Russia) so it's more the guys nominally on Russia's side criticizing how the "defenses" were built.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Packt like sardines in a putin box.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
One year in, I didn't expect to see news of Russia poorly fortifying Crimea against a Ukrainian counter-assault. Also, a year ago, "cope Toblerone" wouldn't have registered in my brain, but now I can't stop thinking about it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LordoftheScheisse posted:

One year in, I didn't expect to see news of Russia poorly fortifying Crimea against a Ukrainian counter-assault. Also, a year ago, "cope Toblerone" wouldn't have registered in my brain, but now I can't stop thinking about it.

Yeah, at this point its probably telling, they think Ukraine might actually have a chance to push back or they wouldn't even bother. Maybe not to Crimea itself, but its a good sign they are not sure of their defenses on the mainland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1636796841898708992
Putler's throwing a tantrum about being given the status of a common criminal.