Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I think you nailed it in your first sentence. A lot of it is coming from the former Stasi youths and Soviet Union Hooray types that used to run this country and are now salty, because we are moving away from Russia's influence, and even worse, joining Nato, which as we all know is really the United States. Even though the right wing National Coalition Party has been in power recently and have support from the upper middle class and upper class, Finland has always been a VERY left-leaning country. A lot of people, especially politically active types, kind of believe the "Russia is our friend, Russia can't fail us, we can only fail Russia, and we shouldn't fail Russia or they'll be forced to lightly invade us and try to strip our independence again and it'll be YOUR fault" party line and are against anything that goes against that, especially if it's related to the United States.

It also feels like a lot of people even in the political elite don't fully understand what Nato is and how it works, because those "if we join Nato then all of Finland's soldiers can be sent to die in some war in Africa or something even if we don't want it" scaremongering stories keep making the rounds regularly.

e: But I do think it's valid that we should have had a really and truly honest and open discussion about Nato, specifically to dispel those horror stories and explain to people what the whole thing is about and what it means.

In the end, status quo bias will kick in and we will stay. I'm just relieved that I can now sleep easy knowing that neither me or my kids will have to die in a trench in 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keisari
May 24, 2011

weg posted:

https://twitter.com/HuffPostPol/status/1641366087806898178

As great as it would be to get a good war scoop, I don't know if being an American journalist in Russia is a safe move at the moment.

Arresting or targeting Americans for reprisal is also a really stupid move in my opinion.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hersh is a loving nut who had a few good stories(my lai and i believe some awful poo poo in iraq) and then went full nut job on and off(weird made up poo poo about the kennedys and other) until he went nuts defending assad and now putin.

Nuts, or paid?

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Can someone explain this horse cum meme to me? How did it start?

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Tai posted:

I thought NATO bases in Finland were a no go or am I thinking of nooks

:actually: there are in fact, several NATO bases in Finland already.

More seriously, Nato bases aren't a no go, they haven't been decided on yet. Nukes are a no-go, and that's a consensus across the political spectrum.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

I will lol so hard if this is just Ukraine pulling a reverse "donetsk separatists" as a diversion for heir counteroffensive.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

That is total nonsense imo

Same. It's just there to rile up people. The motivation [edit: for the attack on Belgorod] is clearly to serve as a distraction with an added bonus of a "spark of revolution" lotto ticket if it's successful.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

If people don't mind me speculating:

While the motive is obviously as a distraction, how likely do you guys think that if these insurgents prevail against Russian assault, that it could spark a larger civil war?

It does seem to prove that beating the establishment is possible. (I know, with Ukrainian help in reality, but I just wonder how it looks to the average disgruntled person in Russia)

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

I can't believe the United States has done this

I can't believe China did this.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

But why the hell would they close bomb shelters? I mean what the actual gently caress?

Keisari
May 24, 2011

So have I understood correctly that the insurgents are still in Bilhorod?

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

The constant need to prove that you’re the manliest manly man that ever manned is so alien to me. :psyduck:
What went wrong that these people are so loving insecure?

Brings to mind that Tywinn Lannister quote "Any man who says I am the king is no true king". It seems to apply to manliness too. There is nothing as unmanly as some whiny little poo poo who constantly needs to prove how manly he is, and is so loving scared all the time about being emasculated in the slightlest. It's like their entire loving lives revolve around proving themselves.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Something else I'm thinking, if it does turn out to be a major Islamist/Chechnya related thing, they could be trying to exploit the fact that the state is knee deep in Ukraine that it can't easily react with a third Chechen war somehow.

Are you saying that Chechnya might revolt? (Just in case, I'll clarify that I am asking seriously)

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Tai posted:

Ok I know it's utter conspiracy theory bull poo poo but how are people tying CIA and ISIS together? Look very very very very very hard and tilt your head 30 degrees during a full moon? I'm geniunely curious as to how those conspiracy theory whack jobs have tied the two together.

Lol. Lmao. Someone really needs to tell these conspiracy theorist Americans this: Not everything is about you. You are not behind everything that is good in this world. Similarly, not everything that is bad or wrong about the state of the world is America's fault either.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

I find this very odd

Like I understand Isis did attack Russia, my question is why?

Chechnya? Other disaffected Muslim minorities in Russia?

I wonder, is it possible that ISIS is probing/testing Russia? Perhaps they are interested in formenting poo poo in Dagestan? Or perhaps the simpler explanation is the one posted earlier: to get on the news without retaliation from the West.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Tai posted:

lol good point. Americans dominate the tankie twitter space with some hanger on Euros and a token Ian Miles. American exceptionalism dominates is a drug.

Yeah. Prime example: The war in Ukraine is not USA's fault. Not even if there was something in hindsight that the US could've done to prevent it. Putin decided to try to take Ukraine, and the war is his fault and his alone.

(I remember when this poo poo started there was a blame game in the US with both parties arguing if it was Biden's or Trump's fault. The correct answer is neither, but Putin's)

Keisari
May 24, 2011

I do not believe for a second that they actually caught the terrorists. They got away, and now are filming the proverbial bear claiming to be a rabbit, and also an avid Sims player.

Also, I do not believe it to be a false flag for a second. It's just not feasible to do it this way. A bombing that you can just set off would be more feasible, not gunmen who can potentially be intercepted and killed by rando coppers.

Always a shocker when white nations have a hard time to fathom how poorly resourced "üntermenschen" could pull off such an attack. (Much like in 9/11 it was hard for many Americans to accept that a rag-tag group of jihadists operating from Afghanistan could just hijack a plane and ram it on a tower.)

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

dogdick the brains of your own people and useful idiots in an information war

What does "dogdick" mean here? I am NOT googling that...

Keisari
May 24, 2011

haddedam posted:

You're welcome to leave to europe where the capitalism isn't running rampant.
You can enjoy other problems.

The other problems is sadly, Russia. Oh and racism too.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Yeah honestly this is pretty shameful. Ukraine has the right to blow up literally all of Russia's refineries.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

I am disgusted by this baldheaded manness.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

peeps unironically come back from 10 year probes. this fuckin site...

I am more amazed that they continue to shitpost like nothing happened.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Lmao

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Bertha the Toaster posted:

In a way I'm disappointed it wasn't a 100,001 hour ban this time.

Or a 100 006.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Lmao, "look how much I am not caring" energy

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Tai posted:

I am deeply concerned that the CIA once again is pumping money into another event. The multiple untraceable and unverified billions that it has pumped into multiple colour revolutions and deomonstrations is worrying. What is more shocking is that you can't find anyone who has received that money. Where did it go? Who got it? Why do billions and billions of dollars flow out of the US for two decades and no one can point to any evidence. :iiam:

I fear that if the CIA keeps pumping billions of untraceable dollars into bribing people who have no knowledge of the thousands of dollars they recieve then it could get ugly. People might get unhappy with policies and the way that their government is run (influeneced?) might piss off the public and they kick out. gently caress the west, people deserve the right to be oppressed in peace!

:wtc:

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Arzachel posted:

There's no way to double down on a sarcastic post without coming across as someone with terminal conspiracy brain. Poe's law and all that.

Yea this is what got me. I chuckled at the first post but with the second I was no longer sure, lmao. Well played.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

Remember when America, after invading Iraq, brought out their kids in military garb on stage and had their kids hold their dead fathers' pictures in honor of their parent's sacrifice?

Lmao, this is a good point. After taking a cool few hundred thousand in casualties, no less.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

bad_fmr posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1787731270346129815

The dream of the Russian Empire is pounding hard in the heart of the Finnish fisherman :finland:

Lmao. Ah yes, last time Finnish fishermen welcomed Russians with open arms and were so overjoyed, that they embraced them so hard almost half a mil died.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Tuna-Fish posted:

He was sort of promoted out of his position to a ceremonial one.

I don't see him having an accident. You have accidents in Russia for disloyalty, not for incompetence. And while Shoigu has many, many faults, I think disloyalty is not one of them.

Exactly. This isn't Star Wars. I mean yes, Russia has been cartoonishly evil for the past 2 years and it seems to only become worse, but we're not at "Darth Vader choking failing commanders and Putin cackling iconically" level yet.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Now let's pretend we are ruling a nation with the morals of the average Paradox-game player, so we basically don't give two fucks about humanitarian stuff or people's well-being in general, only what's good for "the state". Exempting people from service on medical basis would still be a good idea right?

I mean, many presumably are still productive in the civilian sector, but these kinds of medical conditions are bound to increase attrition a lot right? (In plain English, their condition will rapidly deteriorate in the front and they will be militarily useless and perhaps outright die to their illness while being a logistical drain)

Or am I wrong here?

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Galler posted:

Being all ghoul about it, if they're dead the state doesn't have to cover their medical care and the logistics drain is minimal when they aren't given much in the first place and aren't expected to last long

Did the state cover their medical care in the first place? :v:

Strategic Tea posted:

IMO, if I'm an oligarch and they don't work for me on my own mineral fields, who cares? Less tax money for public schools or something - whatever.

To them, the state is a prestige project (here's my yacht, and here's my country) or a useful sham to keep the proles obedient.

Oh it absolutely makes sense from an individual oligarch's or Putin's perspective, but if we consider the "state's" benefit. I mean, just because you're a terrible soldier with medical issues doesn't mean you can't be like, a pretty good IT guy or something. This seems very counterproductive to Russia's future, like just literally wasting human lives. Tossing them into the sausage machine.

Natty Ninefingers posted:

This is the “scraping the bottom of the barrel” point on the slider. Though is more likely low level fuckery to meet some goon’s quota.

Yeah, low level fuckery seems believable to me. Like just another example of corruption. You get the order to find X number of warm bodies to the front, and you resort to press ganging people to meet that.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I really should have known that. My dad followed professional cycling and he always said European cyclists were lazier than American cyclists because Americans rode for miles and Europeans only rode for kilometers.

Oh my god lmao wtf.

This is a clear troll, come on. No one is this stupid.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Gripweed posted:

My opinions are my own, even if I am often attacked for them.

This would be a pretty good thread title btw. Also, for the small chance that you were serious about the cyclists thing: Your dad was was joking. It was a pretty good joke too tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keisari
May 24, 2011

zone posted:

Every day I understand why Oryx gave up trying to figure out what these Blyatmobiles originally were.

The lower one looks like some mad max contraption.