Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

MAP

This is the latest developments around Bakhmut based on OSINT, geolocated data, and battle information is sourced to the daily briefs of the UKR General Staff and others.

The Russians are getting stalled out by Ukrainian air power, which marks a distinct uptick in aviation usage in Bakhmut specifically. Air defense is too thick on the ground in the area as seen by UKR air defense downing a RU SU-24 and Ukrainian SEAD strikes against SAMs. Ukrainian air defense also downed 8 RU recon drones, so seeing 12 Ukrainian sorties in such a short time is a departure from previous operations

Russian casualties for the day reach 1,030 confirmed KIA and 4,240 casualties in total for the day (WIA/KIA/MIA). They lost 23 artillery systems today as well (sourced from minusrus). It's almost certain that Russian offensive will culminate soon if it hasn't already.

It would be surreal at this point if Wagner/Russia culminates this whole offensive and then right at the end they just can't finish, or if gliding JDAMS is just the linchpin that halts their advance. I imagine 1000-3000lb bombs can do significantly more work than 155 arty rounds can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
For all the Nordstream chat, if they wanted to keep using it, couldn’t they just, like, repair it?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tai posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1633335134979072001

The gently caress is this gibberish. Russians can't live abroad for long? Yeah tell that to all the billionaires and their kids studying in London.

Looks like they need to do another round of metaphor mobilization. All the good metaphors were lost in a river crossing.

Content. The old man brigade has fared about as you’d expected.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davida...sh=f469b97615d2

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

Jeez i thought I :justpost: a lot in this thread and I checked out the top posters and zone has almost 20 more posts than me :stare:

For content: yes I know it's Russia Today but I really want to believe someone horsejacked kadyrov lmao

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1633509539986415616

Gurbanguly and Serdar Berdimuhamedow making their moves to secure the Akhal-Teke as the worlds most preeminent horse.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1633825336101306372
Which crystal ball did these geniuses use to make this prediction?

I had a friend in the military who did a lot of war gaming and he at one point mentioned that the Chinese rig their war games so that China always wins. It’s probably the same here. How could glorious ally to perfect China not win?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

zone posted:

That's almost too precious for words. You'd think they'd at least not make the same mistakes Russia did with their military, but now I'm not so sure they haven't gone the same route.

It's all part of the same authoritarians dilemma, advancement and being non dead rely on asskissing and reinforcing to the people above you that they're very smart and handsome. Of course boss your plan is great and will result in great success. And your bosses bosses plan is great too. Aside from the PLA not being a Army in the sense of built to fight foreign adversaries (It's mostly an internal suppression force), I had another friend who did a lot of observation of large scale corps of engineers type projects, and they sound like they anecdotally suffer from the same problems the Russians do. Can't take a dump without the go-ahead from Beijing first, no effective NCO's, and the funniest was a lot of observation on how the enlisted guys would just straight gently caress off and leave if there wasn't an LT there yelling at them to do their jobs.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A lot of it is probably also 'It worked during the great Patriotic war, ergo it'll work here, not get moving those fishbricks aren't going to award themselves' without taking into account than in the intervening 8 decades all your enemies have automatic weapons and other explody things.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
For those who’d know. Do shaped charge warheads actually have to be moving at any speed to do their thing? Or can you just gently touch the nose to something and set it off?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I honestly don't know if they'll face worse outcomes in battle with the AFU or with their own fellow soldiers.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

zone posted:

I mean, at least we're going to see a great deal of seething about this on Russia 1 so it's good for the entertainment value if nothing else.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1636742537296719873
90 planes and 60 choppers? that's going to be a tall order to deal with unless quite a few smoking accidents happen at those bases.

Doesn't mention what % of those actually work.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Bounty should be you get to keep his wealth. Isn’t he supposed to be worth like 2T?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Need to ask Xi for an urgent delivery of additional coherent metaphors, current Russian stocks running low.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Infidel Castro posted:

Yes, but if it's artisanal poop direct from Putin's pants, you've just created a glorious national delicacy for mother Russia.

'It would be a poop soup and it would ruin the potato' has to be in the shortlist for thread titles.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Seeing some news that Russia air defensed one of their own fighters again today.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how to grab/embed Reddit videos, but my second fav today is the attempted Russian water crossing with one of those amphibious APC's, and they forgot to close all the hatches, so it just drives into the water.....and sinks.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Xi was officially welcomed to Russia by the deputy minister for sports because Putin (or a man that looks like Putin) probably don’t want to be in a pre determined place.

https://twitter.com/tendar/status/1637770986920574978?s=46&t=PJIxGDyp2ZcdczVnKDD3nA

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

Speaking of warzones here's the latest casualty count:

16 more UAVs down along with~20 armored vehicles.

Are they speedrunning to 400k by the end of the year?

I also thought Aikido was a perfectly good martial art for average people to learn what to do if a Eagles fan throws a roundhouse at a bar and you need to put him on the ground then leave. I thought its whole thing was do the minimum necessary to defend and then extract yourself from a situation.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I feel like it’s entirely plausible that Wager wants to pull out of having to fight adult men with weapons and focus on its core strengths of forcing children at gunpoint into gold mines.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Our call up of 147k new conscripts will not result in them being sent to combat. Also, it's only a coincidence that you can't reach your son, he's, uh, training, with no cell signal.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In the I hope it's true department, some combat video out there today with some DPR guys slinging the ole garbage rod as a DMR. Wonder if we're ever going to see what the Russian equivalent of the Krag was. We just need to get the T-34's out of storage and they can truly reenact WW2.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The problem for Russia is that when they’re not doing their ‘I’m totally not owned bro’ media, is that Finland joining means an enormous amount of their non cruise missile or air dropped bomb nuclear deterrence is now like a helicopter jaunt from a NATO member. Along with the, correct me if I’m wrong, the biggest of their submarine bases. That’s why they’re being dongs about it and setting up all the GPS jamming along the border.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

One of the things that really jumped out at me from the videos of the aftermath of the assassination of the Rashist blogger is the near complete lack of assistance any of the injured are being offered. Shock from the blast can't fully account for it—at least one of the videos had people who looked fine just walking around, making phone calls, to the complete neglect of the obviously injured staggering around or lying in heaps.

Humans are, by and large, surprisingly good at coming together to aid one another in mass casualty events.

I feel like in a country that this kind of poo poo happens with some regularity, There is probably a decent amount of people that run the mental calculation that if this was a hit, that if they help out, and god forbid, they save the target, they're just as likely to be a target.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

alcatraz gently caress boy posted:

just have finland annex taiwan : DDDD

The referendum got 104% of the vote to join Finland, ergo it's totally legal.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Watch Finland start war :DDDDDDDDDDDDD

If you wanted to troll just say that the land granted after the winter war is ethnically/historically Finnish and you need it back now.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tigey posted:

What Soviet/Nazi pact of friendship do you speak of?

My history textbook says nothing of this? Just that the sweet, innocent USSR was minding its own business behind its historical borders and was attacked out of the blue.

The Chinese Ambassador to the EU's priority is furthering China's interests in its relations with the EU. He's going to say what he thinks needs to be said to do that, and if that means downplaying Sino-Russian relations, he will do so. I'm sure the Chinese Ambassador to Russia tailors his public messages for Russian audiences.

To be clear, I do think you are broadly right, I'd just warn against reading too much into this individual comment.

While saying this the right foot silently pushes the box labeled 'Invasion of Poland' behind the couch.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

In the meantime, actual russian propaganda is busy promoting the American MIC:

https://i.imgur.com/ZX7P0WV.mp4

(it's cut off because of imgur but you can imagine how it goes)

If only we could get all govt procurement docs approved with a nice raspberry reduction.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

"Just sign here to get your money. You can pick up your rifle and ammo at the next desk. The train for Bakhmut leaves at 18:00."

And by money I mean fishbricks and a photo op for your wife with an old fur coat.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Prigozhin always looks like he's 2 frames into the wax face melt from Raiders. Like if I look at a picture long enough it'll just slough off.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I want someone to build a loitering munition inside a loitering munition. Loitering squared.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/gerashchenko_en/status/1652736480341549056?s=46&t=PJIxGDyp2ZcdczVnKDD3nA

Everything’s a drone.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sashimi posted:

The spirit of the Kamchatka lives on.

Put a fishing boat in front of the Kremlin with a note that Putin's been promoted and watch them blow it up.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

"We were told these billions and billions were spent on weapons. Where are they?"

Isn't that the one where the reports said that the stucco came off all the ceilings because of bad construction/water infiltration?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Barry Bluejeans posted:

How does the command structure work for Wagner troops? I assume that they have low-level officers of their own but that at some point up the chain there's a Russian military official overseeing their actions. Do they enjoy less oversight in Africa, and if so is it because Russia simply doesn't care as much about what Wagner does there so long as they deliver results?

I always assumed it was dragon rules. The bigger your mound of stolen poo poo the higher your rank.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

Yes, surely the Kuznetsov and Aramata do not at all in any way point to theoutcome of that energy resulting a six tonne, smoke belching toilet that has a one in twenty shot of impaling you with the tungsten bidet wand.

You forgot to add the installers extort you before the install to not steal it, during the install to finish, and after to get them to leave.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's been brought up here before, but it looks like the one oppo guy dropped out in Turkey after a deepfake sex tape of him was released. May give the main guy a chance if those votes flow to him.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 12, 2023

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I know it’s probing or fixing actions but it would be hilarious if Ukraine just accidentally’d a whole region or something.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

:discourse: , just :discourse:

I'd like to see the after action report on the RU side.

Did we get it?

No, it was shot down by the system we were targeting, which it wasn't supposed to be able to do.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The F-22's got the latest engine tech and power. It allows a supercruise speed that is essentially previous generations using their afterburners.

An F-22 pilot was talking about this scene and how it has some obvious hollywood aspects to it. But he says the reaction is completely accurate. He's been on both sides in a previous generation and flying the F-22 in battle drills where a 5th gen fighter will do something that seems completely impossible and you get shocked into complacency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMb3v5P1t-s

I remember someone saying what would have really happened is that the AA missile would have just happily detonated next to it and that would have been scratch 2.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What’s the chance of big luc bites it that the military does a coup and tells everyone to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm extremely curious what the typical Belarusian officer thinks about the special military operation. Obviously it says a lot that Belarus didn't join the invasion but I dont think theres a pro-EU supermajority in Belarus, especially in the military

I don’t think they’re pro EU, but I wonder how much they’re pro-I don’t want to die in Ukraine.