Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Paging Kit for map updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So when bakhmut falls, then what? It doesn't exactly strike me as the kind of victory that could achieve a breakthrough causing the whole UA line to collapse. More like, the Russians occupy what's left of the town and then continue on with another eight month meatgrinder on the western side of the rubble.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Der Kyhe posted:

The frontline moves outside Bakhmut.

So it'll be a nothingburger "victory" that Russia will hail as a decisive blow against the Commie Nazi Ukrainians while the reality is they've captured seventeen square feet and Field Marshall Ivan moves advances his vodka cabinet two inches closer to Kyiv.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It feels like every day on the news that they're declaring that Bakhmut has fallen only for an update each night that the fighting is continuing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

And at the rate Russia is going Ukraine never will meet a well trained and well equipped army!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope Kharkiv is okay after the barrage. It would really suck to get hammered the day after they turned the steet lights back on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Taerkar posted:

Only the Kurds.

My barber is Kurdish and I don't want him to die.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How successful are those insurance scams anyways? People jumping onto car hoods and claiming they were hit by mad drivers were so frequent that it spawned the Russian dashcam genre. Does it ever work that these scammers get a payout? Is Russian insurance that robust to handle the claims?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How are communications being handled in a world of cell phones? Back when the war started there were all those articles about Russian soldiers utterly failing at Opsec because they kept texting and calling people on their mobile phones that they were somehow allowed to bring into combat.

With Ukrainian partisans possibly blowing poo poo up in occupied regions, are they coordinating using mobile devices as well or would they have a more secure line of communication to avoid getting sniffed out?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Oh I'm not falling for it. There's no way they can lift those.

Supposing two drones carried it together? They could put it on a line held under the dorsal guidance rotors.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nessus posted:

Also, where do you get the new Sukhoi?

How soon we forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gne7beWy8fU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had a thought. Has Russia pulled their two seater Sukhoi SU-34 planes from Ukraine operations in order to maintain their strategic toilet reserve? Those are the planes with shitters built into them right? That equipment is too valuable to lose.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Toxic Mental posted:

Some people will try to tell you that this isn't a Warhammer Orc tank

That's because it's a 40K Grot tank instead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dwesa posted:

Japan sent its "tanks" (it should be probably m, not bn)

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1639375031217029121

Would it be billions if it were Yen rather than dollars?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Butterfly Valley posted:

No that would still make each Hilux $450,000

Before or after manpad installation?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Roblo posted:

Oh indeed but if they manage to successfully hold them off at Bahkmut until they're effectively relieved by an offensive that's...an impressive success.

Battle of the Bakhmut Bulge

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Advanced combat tactics with Steven Seagull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p2v2bjfgr0

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

So that's why the Swiss aren't letting anyone use their weaponry. They want a return to 16th century pike and shot so their mercenaries will reign supreme.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Make a ghost of kyiv anime about a propaganda team who makes up stories to inspire the fight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vengarr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wymZGgjk-H4

Interesting little mini-documentary (with English subtitles) about a SPG-9 team deployed in Bakhmut. The ex-Azov guy has one hell of a character arc in 7 1/2 minutes. No blood or bodies. Just the SPG shooting rounds, interviews with the men and an artillery shelling.

"When this drat war is over I'm going back to toys."

gently caress... I feel so bad for these guys.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pablo Bluth posted:

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1647478929777901568

Definitely something brewing. Hopefully they've got a good plan for the counterattack.

Holy poo poo that's a lot of people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Some actual news...
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ukraine-says-it-s-preparing-to-confiscate-massive-russian-cargo-plane-parked-at-toronto-pearson-1.6359623

The AN-124 has been stuck on the tarmac at Toronto Pearson for a year and Ukraine is moving to confiscate it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay but why the Baby Face Kirk tweet? I'd just settle for the tanks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Deki posted:

Macron is an elemental made up of pure spineless neoliberalism that only remains in office because the alternative is neo-nazi adjacent.

he sucks

But enough about Canada.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Philonius posted:

https://www.politico.eu/article/france-poland-eu-plan-buy-ukraine-ammunition-war/

Joined EU scheme to buy artillery shells for Ukraine delayed, as France insists on only buying from EU suppliers. Poland (rightly) arguing this will add unwanted delays to the deliveries.

Just gently caress off already France.

So whats the angle? France suggesting they buy from Switzerland who tells the rest of Europe to gently caress themselves and then France throws up their hands and says "welp no more ammo"?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A couple pages off from WW1 chat but if anyone is interested The Great War is a pretty excellent channel that charts the war week by week. Obviously it's not as in-depth given the scope it has to cover every week but it's a good way to set yourself in the mindset of how many insane things were happening almost daily for four years straight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DiomedesGodshill posted:

I have an uncle that works at NATO and he showed me the top secret updated maps.

Sorry u think you misheard him he said "top of" the secret updated maps

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does Ukraine have any effective counter to the Black Sea Fleet apart from it catching on fire?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont see why they'd even need to cross the isthmus when they could just advance up to the crossing and then repeatedly bombard the kerch bridge and any ships that come into missile range until Crimea russians give up or they leave.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Karate Bastard posted:

Russian gasoline is just swamp water. This is due to corruption, but also due to pollution.

Sounds to me like a proper recycling program to clean up all those tailing ponds that got fuel dumped in them!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Icept posted:

loving lmao if the big bakhmut capture is immediately encircled or bypassed by the counterattack

Russia takes Bakhmut because all the Ukrainians have pulled out and are now currently enveloping the envelopment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Bakhmut is nearly completely done.

And uh well the entire front hasn't collapsed.

So why'd Russia lose 50,000+ people?

Because Poopin wanted to move his horse cum cabinet three inches closer to Berlin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-says-20-000-russians-killed-in-ukraine-war-since-december-1.6378745

USA says 20,000 Russians dead, 100,000 casualties since December 2022.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cartoon Man posted:

It was a reaction to a speech the Russians were giving at a thing when the Ukrainians interrupted their speech. They got mad and tried to retaliate by taking the flag.

Tough poo poo for the Russians. Maybe they shouldn't murder children if they don't want to get called out for it when it's inconvenient.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Bakhmut carries in like it has for a few more weeks it will overtake Verdun's record.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stockpiling ammo next to a smoker's pit leads to accidents.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mobby_6kl posted:

In a way perhaps

Crank 2 High Voltage is so loving good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was Russia able to book the Egyptian marching band for the victory day parade at least?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bakhmut is less of a modern day stalingrad and more a modern day Verdun both for the length and "bleed the French Ukrainians white" idiocy on display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even if this is a winding down of Bakhmut I don't know how to classify it as anything other than willful stupidity by the Russians and an unfortunate necessity to meet blood with blood by the Ukrainian defenders.