Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why are there turrets pointing backwards alot?

Makes the tank shorter. The axis of rotation of the turret is offset to the front. Having a shorter tank is good if you are trying to park it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

But really isn't anything new. Armed Assault and Operation Flashpoint were both used by the US Marines for Squad Officer training. Video games have neem used for military training for decades now.

That reminds me that I made this extremely real video of an extremely real Gepard a long time ago. I think(?) it was for an OP or just loving around with assets.

https://i.imgur.com/Ot2IDq0.mp4

Slap some filter over it to hide the perfectly still shot and you can get this thing on the news… :v:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm chuckling at the difference between the careful training of the Ukrainians shown in the MoD released footage, and the Ukrainians immediately letting a politician hoon about in one the moment they get delivered.

Eh,

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

People who can read the instructions on the AT4 are not the target audience of Russian propaganda.

No, not even the pictograms.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Friend,

https://www.youtube.com/@zapovednik/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-qRHYs2ldI&t=43s

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 9, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

OctaMurk posted:

They invaded a nation and broke a whole bunch of treaties and ate a million sanctions. Breaking a contract in a time of special military operation is really that big of a deal??

Yes.

Why does Russia still have elections when they aren't real? It's for the pageantry, to pretend there is a democratic mandate for everything the dictator does. Because the idea of a leader with the full support of a majority of their people is still powerful, even when the entire process behind it is not at all democratic.

In the same manner, Russia cloaks itself in the language of Rule of Law. There's no substance there, but the idea is powerful and prestigious.

The idea of "there are laws, and everyone abides by the laws in a rules based order" is considered so powerful and prestigious that even dictators are invested in the appearance of following it. The imperialistic land grab Russia is involved in is draped in the language of International Law as well.

I guess you can call it a "win" for the "West" that even countries nominally opposed to everything "Western" appropriate the language of the "West". And I'd like to add that I would've used more scare quotes, but I don't think I can properly express how hollow that "win" is even with more of them.

Anyway, breaking contracts is bad, because it makes you look like someone who breaks contracts, and that's bad in a world that kind of likes the idea that contractual obligations aren't optional. Committing force majeure against infrastructure and walking away whistling innocently is preferable.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Somaen posted:

The last decade, especially after the euro crisis, had a very strong narrative to the lines of "EU is a neoliberal project and they will force everyone to privatize everything".

Let's not get carried away here, the EU absolutely is a neoliberal project that is big into privatisations.

But it's a project of True Believers in free movement of capital, workers, goods and they will send Margrethe Vestager after megacorps for misbehaving. The rules of the EU are pretty hostile to kleptocrats and low-level corruption as experienced by ordinary people.

I strongly agree that any country joining the EU is much harder for Russia to influence, because there's nothing Russia could offer that can compete with the EU. (Beyond Culture War poo poo, that is)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Animatronic-rear end dictator.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Philonius posted:

Ok, here's my suggestion.

The other 26 member states leave the EU. They immediately sign a new agreement to form a new supranational organisation also called 'The European Union' and carry on as before.

If we can't make Hungary leave the EU we can make the EU leave Hungary.

It's much easier actually.

Hungary could have its voting rights suspended tomorrow.

However, Hungary has a loyal ally in Poland, which is blocking this measure.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's just American Exceptionalism. The concerns of Europeans are necessarily subservient to the enlightened thoughts of the American Twitterata.

And in a way they aren't totally wrong. The pro-Russia culture war poo poo is being imported from America to Germany right now, and American fascists along with Russia have given ample support to the AfD and even dictated the talking points the other right wing dipshits are using – see for reference the recent meeting of CSU politicians with DeSantis, or the CDU suddenly talking about "woke" and calling Ukrainian refugees "welfare tourists". Violence against minorities is on the rise, and the rhetoric used to dehumanise them is a straight import from the US of A.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Wait a minute. The US supported

Groß, falls wahr.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You shouldn't dive anywhere near the Danish isles because the area is busy as gently caress and quite shallow, along with pretty brutal tidal currents between those isles despite the Baltic not having much tidal movement otherwise. We are talking <25m anywhere around Denmark, often <10m even in the Greater Belt.

If you want to sail a sub through the Greater Belt, consider hoisting a radar reflector.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Sedgr posted:

Thats a sprayer. I'm surprised the Russians destroyed it rather than steal the GPS out of it.

The expertise required to jailbreak tractors is primarily concentrated in Ukraine.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Do people think the UN is a world government of some sort? It's weird how people constantly have a go at the UN as if it had power to do things. It's a talking club, that's the whole point.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's the same idea as SMART or BONUS, which we've also seen used in Ukraine. The delivery mechanism is just a big huge cluster bomb instead of an artillery shell.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

FWIW, here's a BAE ad for BONUS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsKYKDdX1Ec

With music that wouldn't be out of place in UT, so…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

I wish I had enough of daddy's money to buy avatars for people who don't follow my tankie mindset. Maybe one day. I'm the meantime I'll continue to wear my St. Javelin shirt and listen to Ukrainian Ska.

Seriously, check out Гучул-метал and рокi. They slap.

Ska is the real war crime.

Pick this up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPWYcWK8o9g

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

spankmeister posted:

The thing that annoys me the most about these tankie drive by posters is that they invariably have America Main Character Syndrome. Just putting themselves in the center of the world, every single time.

Just probe yanks on sight tbh., they deserve it.

American Exceptionalism is exceptionally ugly.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah it seems like the vertical stabilizer got ripped off and then entered a flat spin.

Definitely putting "technical failure" in the report. I don't think the rear is supposed to fall off.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

An engine getting hosed means you glide. You can land without engine power (just roughly).

You fall from the sky if your tail falls off, which appears to have happened. The rear is not supposed to fall off.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Sure, but so could a good old missile.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Philonius posted:

I've said it before, but gently caress the short-sighted morons who created the EU without a way to kick out bad actors. Surely when a country has become democratic enough to join the EU, they couldn't possibly ever backslide, right? Idiots.

Any organization, no matter how big or how small, needs a good answer to the question "what do we do if someone starts acting like an rear end in a top hat".

There is a mechanism to strip voting rights from countries and take their funding.

But as long as Hungary has the full and unwavering support of Poland, it won't happen.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It actually reeks of "you should buy a Spiegel at the Späti or pay for S+"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Russia's current artillery problems seem to be the result of Ukraine getting some really good CB radar systems (COBRA and AN/TPW-36) with a good helping of guided munitions. They have been specifically targeting Russian artillery to the point that Russia seems to be largely incapable of performing CB missions. They could have lots of shells, but their tubes turn to craters at increased rates.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The seppos must be protected from the horrors of lemonde.fr and arte.tv

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Shout out to the BI devs that got arrested in Greece while collecting reference material for Arma 3.

Don't take photos near military installations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

They also assumed, quite rightly at the time, that low profile and high (forward) speed were more important than armour that wouldn't protect against getting hit anyway, because armour tech had not kept up with penetrative power during that time period. The Leopard 1 was built under the same assumption and is a similarly dire death trap.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Hey, this is far too cringe for the D&D thread, so I am dumping it on you.

loving guess how this is relevant to the war. I dare you.

Grisha, a HOI4 streamer who at one point streamed from Wagner's HQ. Also cried when Prig died.
Not making this up

most normal HOI4 player tbh.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You could play Wargame: European Escalation and say hi to the friendly people in the lobby instead, WCG

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

whiskas posted:

That picture with him and his favorite hotdog vendor can't possibly be real. Framed photos of the wife/gf/cat on your desk I get, but that is just weird.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Not actually too surprising, fast movers have serious trouble hitting small, slow flying things with guns. And most gunships aren't really made for the job either if they also have to keep their distance in case there's payload on the drone. Iirc Israel has used some in the role, but everyone is kind of winging it with those drones.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Reported for posting Mettigel outside of Mettwoch.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

spankmeister posted:

You Germans are a freaky bunch you know

Scaring the seppos with raw pork hedgehogs is always worth it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Elevating a AD above the treeline is normal. You use whatever hill you can find.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Flyinglemur posted:

All of these jokes are plane tired

They wouldn't fly in a more serious thread, that's for sure.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Does anyone even use canister? Can't imagine bringing it along especially nowadays.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I was not ready for International Realist Football.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

HonorableTB posted:

someone remind me which british prime minister it was that hosed the pig as part of fraternity rituals

That's normal in Britain.

Meanwhile:

Anyway, bob dobbs is dead is correct, autocrats lean hard into pageantry and show, very much like a feudal ruler. It's what happens when your authority and legitimisation stems from your ability to project power, instead of a democratic mandate.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

ORF.at posted:

According to Russian media reports, two ponies belonging to ex-Foreign Minister Karin Kneissl have been brought to Russia on a Russian military transport plane. The online platform The Insider writes that two ponies landed at Pulkovo airport in St Petersburg on Saturday. They were transported by an Ilyushin Il-76, which, according to its registration number, belongs to the Russian Ministry of Defence.

The aircraft was identified from social media pictures of a local riding club, which reported the arrival of the ponies. The entry also emphasised that the transport had been carried out by a company associated with the riding club. The veterinary office of St. Petersburg also published pictures on its website of the examination of the ponies in the presence of Kneissl.

According to the entry of the riding club, the route started in Austria and they would have crossed six borders. When and where the horses came on board the military aircraft is not clear from the reports. However, the ponies are likely to have left Austria some time ago: From Lebanon, where Kneissl lived until recently, the former Foreign Minister posted several photos with the two animals.

This also fits in with the sharp criticism of the pony transport from a Russian military blogger: the user "Fighterbomber" wrote on Telegram in the run-up to the transport that they wanted to "load a pony instead of a hero squad. If the country really needs ponies today, then of course fly with ponies, but write me whose ponies they are. That's very interesting." "Fighterbomber" specifically addressed the military at the Hmeimim airbase, located in Syria, in the message.

Presented without comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Glah posted:

This is the reason Swedes and Germans for example operate diesel-electric submarines.

Germany uses diesel-electric because the Baltic sea is extremely shallow and you need exceptionally quiet and small submarines to act as a deterrent. Additionally, like you said, you can have a bunch of them for the price of a single nuclear-powered submarine, which means Germany can cover more space and deny more of the Baltic sea for the same investment.

Nuclear is strictly better if you want to project power, but that's explicitly not the mission.