Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

Sorry Toxic Mental, but the admins are loving idiots. This rule is stupid, and repeating it is stupid.

I sincerely wish all Russian invaders die, and there’s not a loving thing wrong with that. gently caress em🖕🖕

Tai posted:

You have to be very respectful when discussing russian conscripts raping and murdering ukrainian civilians and dumping their bodies in mass graves

the really hosed up warcrimes, like bucha, have been committed by volunteer units. most have been identified at this point.

the russian conscripts are largely, at the individual level, victims of the russian state's aggression about as much as the ukranian conscripts and civilians are. they're not making decisions about where they'll go or what they'll do, and if they refuse on the front, they'll likely be executed on the spot

many of them are ethnic minorities who have been mobilized in a form of utilitarian ethnic cleansing being conducted by russia

several entire villages and regions populated by various ethnic minorities in russia have been just about swept clean of 18-60 year old men, all essentially sentenced to death by the russian state with ukranian munitions being the method of execution

The number of Russian casualties skyrocketing after the mobilization isn't only because of poor training and equipment.

it's because a big chunk of them were drafted and sent into absorb bullets while also being an easy way for Russia to rid itself of various indigenous and minority groups - history will view this as a crime against humanity in itself

I've got a friend who is working constantly trying to help friends in Russia escape conscription and flee the country - if they're not able to, would you cheer for their deaths too?

I know this makes harder to see it as a "goodguy vs badguy" conflict where it's easy to feel good about all the badguys dying by seeing them as some inherently evil, dehumanized greenskinned construct;
that is because it's not a "goodguy vs badguy" conflict. those don't exist.

The closest example would be WWII - but did the people in Dresden and Tokyo deserve to be firebombed? Did the child soldiers drafted in the defense of Berlin 'have it coming' too?

war has victims on both sides, always has, always will

this is the reality of the situation - it's not good, it is war. you can't make it good. trying to create and frame a worldview that sees large groups of people dying violently as an objective good is bad.

I'm not saying the Ukrainians are bad for defending themselves by whatever means necessary, they kinda have to.

That being true however doesn't mean that many of Russia's conscripts aren't also victims in this situation. The terrible things that've been done by russian troops doesn't mean it's not loving gross to talk about people from a country of a hundred forty million like they're all murderous rapists if they couldn't dodge the draft.

it's gross to not make the distinction, while cheering for their deaths equally, between people who've actually done or are doing horrible things, and people who were unlucky enough to be born in the same country and are too poor to escape conscription.

please consider the point I'm trying to make here. if it makes you feel sad and conflicted, you understand it. its not a fun point to make, and I'm not trying to light the thread up, I just want to say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Herstory Begins Now posted:

bycha wasn't conscript units and conscript weren't even legally allowed to be sent to war zones and the handful of times it happened it was a huge scandal. first 6 months of the war was entirely entirely volunteer army and PMCs doing the fighting.

that's what i said, they were volunteers, i think you misread it

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

fatherboxx posted:

this is an insanely, insanely bad and frankly offensive comparison

it is extremely easy to not go to war right now

?

Do you think the recruiters are *asking* the people they're recruiting and sending out to fight? They literally don't have a choice. If you refuse conscription you go to prison - where you also get conscripted.

Powered Descent posted:

Are we allowed to dehumanize Russian soldiers and joke about them dying if we do it individually instead of en masse?

For example, remember the pictures of that one General or whatever who's so fat he's practically spherical? Can we, say, debate the odds that he'll die of a heart attack on a toilet vs. the odds of dying of a heart attack while attempting to loot a toilet?

Or can we perhaps come up with comical scenarios about how he'd have so much rear end hanging off either side of the toilet when he sits down that it's arguably inside him, and then he can't get it out and the poor mobiks have to come in and unbolt it from the floor and rush the General, toilet and all, to the nearest infirmary camp, where the doctors give him a bunch of Taco Bell and then point his butt toward Bakhmut and sure enough, soon the intestinal pressure shoots the toilet out like an artillery shell, but they forgot to account for the weight of the poop that was already in the toilet so the trajectory fell a little short and anyway that's how another A-50 got its radome crunched by a toilet falling from the sky?

iirc general orb wasn't actually a general and it was some border guard guy

i don't personally have a problem with people celebrating actual bad people having bad stuff happen to them, e.g. when the official Russian Orthodox Missile Priest got hit with a missile? That was funny and he absolutely had it coming. They had all the choice in the world to not be that and chose to be that and that's what happens

It's when people dehumanize/deathwoot faceless "conscript/mobiks/russians" who they don't know anything about, some of which might've never done a bad thing in their lives and were then forced into a dumb war, that it feels messed up. If you don't know anything about someone you shouldn't be glad they died, you know?

Even the early "volunteer" conscripts that herstory mentioned, the very first waves many of them had a volunteer contract forced in their face the night before they were sent into combat, lots didn't even know they were invading Ukraine, and if they refused they got the poo poo beaten out of them.

Basically assigning traits/value/motive to vast swathes of people is the root of it, it's a more complicated situation than goodguy/badguy and trying to see it as such requires dehumanizing a lot of people and is bad.

I know the ukranians currently fighting them don't have the liberty to see things like that, because war psychologically requires the goodguy/badguy dehumanizing mentality.
You can't shoot at people while acknowledging they think and feel the same stuff as you, and when your country's getting invaded by an army, you have to shoot at the invaders, the dehumanization comes with the territory. Doesn't make it good, but it just happens.

People itt are not fighting in a war however and adopting that mindset is just gross if it's not required to survive - at the most extreme, it's where warcrimes come from, it's where japanese internment camps came from, it's where the Muslim Ban and poo poo come from. It's always bad to dehumanize large groups of people.

When it's specific assholes for specific reasons though (e.g. Girkin, Solovyov, Prizhogin, Kadyrov, the troops that committed the bucha atrocities) that's just common sense and being accurate

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 5, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Karma Comedian posted:

The poster you are responding to is a resident of St Petersburg.

St Petersburg and Moscow have been treated very, very differently with regards to drafting than the rural areas of Russia

I'm talking about this stuff:
https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/09/23/russia-partial-military-mobilization-ethnic-minorities/

quote:

As military recruiters began knocking on doors with summons in hand and almost a dozen schools in the region’s capital have been transformed into conscription centers, activists say some men in remote areas have resorted to hiding in the forest while others flee the country, with lengthy lines reported at the country’s land borders.

“Today, Buryatia experienced one of the most terrible nights in its history,” Alexandra Garmazhapova, president of the Free Buryatia Foundation, wrote on Facebook on Thursday.

Although reports have emerged from across the country of men receiving military summons—including some of those arrested for protesting in Moscow—the intensity of the recruitment drive in Buryatia has further fueled suspicions that ethnic minorities are being sent to fight and die in Ukraine at disproportionate rates. The region is home to nearly 1 million people, some 30 percent of whom are ethnically Buryat and share close cultural and historic ties with Mongolia.

Over the past two days, reports have emerged of men being recruited from towns and villages across Yakutia, a large but sparsely populated region in northeastern Siberia that is home to a large population of ethnic Yakuts. According to local media, 4,500 men are expected to be recruited from the region. In Dagestan, a majority Muslim republic in southern Russia, local men can be seen arguing with an unidentified official encouraging them to enlist. “You are fighting for your children’s future,” said the woman.

“We don’t even have a present,” replies a man from the crowd. “What kind of future are you talking about?”

Owing to its history of empire and territorial expansion, Russia is home to more than 160 different ethnic groups, according to the country’s 2010 census. Ethnic and Indigenous groups made up 20 percent of the country’s population as of 2002.

Russian officials have been deeply secretive about their battlefield losses, which U.S. officials estimate could be as high as 20,000 deaths and which Ukrainian officials peg at more than twice that. Analysis by activist groups and the media have raised suspicions that ethnic minorities are dying at disproportionately high rates. The BBC’s Russian service examined reports of more than 6,000 confirmed battlefield losses and found that by the beginning of September, troops from Dagestan, Buryatia, and Krasnodar in southern Russia had lost the most soldiers—over 200 deaths from each region. By comparison, only 15 people from the Moscow region, which accounts for almost one-tenth of Russia’s population, had been killed in battle.

Russian regions are significantly poorer than western Russia. In Buryatia, where the average monthly salary is one-third of that in Moscow and St. Petersburg, the military offered local men the possibility of a stable salary. “The army for them before the war was a good way to earn money and take care of their mortgages,” said Natalia Arno, president of the Free Russia Foundation, who is originally from the region.

Units from Russia’s eastern military district—which encompasses Buryatia and large parts of Siberia, the most neglected of Russia’s military regions—led the assault on Kyiv in the early days of the war in some of the most intense fighting thus far. Sending troops from poorer and more remote regions also enables the Kremlin to avoid ruffling the feathers of wealthy city-dwellers.

“These people are less defended,” said Vasily Matenov, founder of Asians of Russia, which was launched on social media four years ago to gather Russians of Asian heritage. “If they were to start rounding up Muscovites, then everyone would hear about it.”

In a video address on Friday, former Mongolian President Tsakhiagiin Elbegdorj called on Putin to stop the war. “I know since the start of this bloody war, ethnic minorities who live in Russia suffered the most,” he said. “The Buryat Mongols, Tuva Mongols, and Kalmyk Mongols have suffered a lot. They have been used as nothing more than cannon fodder.”

HonorableTB posted:

It's unfortunate about the mobiks but ultimately there's nothing we can do about them and they are, at the end of the day, the ground forces of the aggressor state participating in an illegal invasion during a war of imperialistic expansion. You can feel bad about the mobiks who don't have a choice, nobody's stopping you from feeling that way, but at the end of the day the Russian armed forces are - indeed - The Baddies.

the Russian military as a whole is an aggressor yes.

but cheering for the deaths of conscripts is still cheering for Russia's successful ethnic cleansing campaign - minority groups are being disproportionately conscripted to not only fight, but explicitly to be killed so they are not occupying the land they are from so that it can be colonized by "real" russians, it's a side-objective being executed through this conflict

seeing those people as "the badguys" is no good if they aren't currently posing a threat to you, they are also victims of this war and essentially have two militaries trying to kill them at the same time

it's a muddy and hosed up situation, because they're fighting on the side of the aggressor, but dehumanizing more people doesn't make it better, even if it feels better because there's less cognitive dissonance

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 5, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

KazigluBey posted:

This is an insane comparison and I really hope going "invaders deserve as much sympathy as the people being invaded" doesn't become a vibe in this thread, Jesus gently caress. I don't want goreposting, I don't want people making cringe posts about how rad it is to see people die, but this kind of poo poo swings WAY too far in the opposite direction.

that's not what i said :|

as a group entity the Russian military is a hostile aggressor and deserves no sympathy

but at the same time, those poor-rear end conscripts from the middle of nowhere who are being drafted to be killed and have their homeland colonized by ethnic Russians are, at the individual level, absolutely victims to this war, there's no other way to really describe that

to clarify, not victims of Ukraine's, even though they're firing the shots, Russia's govt. is the actor that's causing their deaths in an ethnic cleansing campaign
that deserves some sympathy, or to at least be acknowledged, i think, in comparison to cheering for all of their deaths - Russia wants them to die.
If you don't support Russia's invasion, you don't want to support their culling of various indigenous and minority groups across the country in one of the cruelest and most destructive ways imaginable either. That's all I'm trying to say really

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

KazigluBey posted:

This.

I understand what you are saying FirstnameLastname but I'm not really sorry if I lack sympathy for individual elements of an invading imperial aggressor. I don't see the need to spend much time splitting hairs over individual levels of culpability for an invading force already guilty of war crimes against civilians.

Also you can't tell me "that's not what i said :|", you quite literally typed the words "the russian conscripts are largely, at the individual level, victims of the russian state's aggression about as much as the ukranian conscripts and civilians are" and then went on use WWII as an example of "no such thing as good guys vs bad guys". Like, if your point was "no such thing as people without blood on their hands in war", sure, but you picked WWII... The firebombings of Dresden and Tokyo were warcrimes, but labeling a reactive war fought against fascism as morally grey is a huge loving stretch and I think it does a disservice to your point, as does, again, literally saying russian conscripts are as much victims of the Russian state as Ukrainian civilians.

not that there's noone without blood on their hands, but that there's victims on every side of a conflict. I wasn't making a moral argument at all, more a point of how moral definitions are applied and who they're applied to. (i promise I'll shut up about it after this btw i just love to post and feel like i misstated some stuff )

I'm not tryna tell people to not do stuff btw or poo poo on people itt,
it's just to make that distinction because I'm guessing most people aren't aware that entire extra atrocity is even happening

i was responding initially to a guy mad about wanting to celebrate dead conscripts in greater detail and another one talking about the conscripts all being rapist warcriminals, bc it's all wrapped up under 'Russia'.

That was why I brought that whole good/bad framing up, because it's just natural for people to do that, and it needs disrupted for that message to get across. i don't think most of the people doing it are aware the ones they're dehumanizing n making GBS threads on the most are really the ones who deserve it the least

it's invisible when you look at the Russian forces as one big thing where everyone in it is equally responsible for all they've done, while most those mobiks dying now weren't even in the military when Bucha or Mariupol happened.

It just feels hosed up how the minority groups in Russia are being scooped up by the Russian military to get massacred in Ukraine and that entire tragedy is invisible to a lot of people, because the larger and more overt atrocity of Russia invading Ukraine masks it.

Then, since Russia is doing all this hosed up stuff, people end up cheering for any russian defeat - but the conscripts being targeted for battledeath aren't the ones launching all those missiles or saying to lay mines everywhere. They're not responsible for the Russian military culture of rape and abuse. The higher officers are ultimately responsible for the stuff like Bucha, they're the ones who have it coming

The conscripts are, however, responsible for a looot of the overall visible mass of the russian forces, and especially casualties, at an increasing rate since January or so, that's mostly what they're doing, dying.

they're not the rapist warcriminals, that's almost entirely volunteer career soldiers and the officers in control of things, artillery and rocket teams, pilots, not mobiks. them dying on its own means Ukraine has less ammo, that's their purpose in combat, and ultimately is what Russia wants for them.

on the ww2 references, i used thoss as an example because ww2 always gets brought up as 'the just war' and someone would say 'oh should we have felt bad for the wehrmacht too' (no) and i was preempting that by using some of the most extreme examples of reasons to not cheer for terrible things happening under the pretext of it being for a just cause

I wasn't directly comparing them or saying it's the same situation, only that they're both not good things or worth celebrating and that there can be elements of a society that are victims while still being a part of the aggressor in the overarching conflict, and that it's important to not reduce very large and complex geopolitical events into columns of goodguy-badguy

anyways ya i think i got the point across & im glad that discussion was able to happen without things getting all flamewary :dings:

de_dust posted:

This is pretty much a modern “Not all Wehrmacht soldiers…” kind of post. Outstanding.
it's not

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Drone_Fragger posted:

Putin reportedly "seething with anger" after shamanic ritual where he drank a gallon of horse cum would "not increase the fighting condition of our troops" and in fact "destroyed morale in the rank and file infantry and conscripts" as it "makes putin look insane". Putin is apparantly now looking for another shaman who will provide a working horse cum ritual, rather than a fraudulent one.

i totally believe that putin deer-blood bath wolfskin ritual rumor tbh

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

ArfJason posted:

So did the uyghur genocide happen or...?

There's no "The". its just Uyghur

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Deteriorata posted:

This is analogous in many ways to the American experience in Vietnam. The US Army was mostly conscripts, and rich white kids fled to Canada or got deferments. The resulting corps was thus disproportionately poor and minorities.

However, once they got to Vietnam, they were just American soldiers and the Vietnamese did not care about their ethnic or economic status.

Similarly, Russia needs to sort out internally the politics of conscription and making national service more equitable. Once they get to Ukraine, though, they're just Russian soldiers and the Ukrainians care more about defending their homes than the ethnic or economic status of their opponents.

yes, i wouldn't ever bother bringing that up to people actually fighting them, it doesn't matter for them, and isn't possible to make matter until the conflict is over
the people I was responding to aren't Ukrainian soldiers though, and were mirroring that black/white mindset of being in a war, that's why i brought it up :razorfront:

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Mulva posted:

And that's sad, and infuriating.....but also, there's only so much you can beat the poo poo out of yourself over required actions in bad situations. "I LUST FOR ORK DEATH RAR RAR RAR!" is obviously hosed up, sure, but so is constantly whipping oneself for perceived sins in every action. There is nothing wrong with being happy when Russia suffers setbacks, even if the reality of "Setback" is actually "A lot of Russian soldiers died brutally". One doesn't have to do pelvic thrusts and let off an air horn every time a tank gets lit the gently caress up, but it's perfectly fine to acknowledge that it's always good when Russia is being hurt over this.
i wasn't saying to self-flagellate over it or to not celebrate successes in the war at all, i recognize it's a war, and a very violent one at that, and that people are going to continue to be killed for a while. It sucks but war sucks. It's just that of all the things to celebrate, mobiks getting massacred isn't one of them. I'm not talking about it from a military perspective just a human one.

From a military perspective, the objective and not being a war criminal is all that really matters, and I get that.

I just think it's really important to separate those things, I guess, and not let that militaristic logic leak out into other stuff.

it's dangerously simple and makes people miss important details, and stop being able to look at things from other's perspectives, or empathize, that mix of reductive thinking, target fixation and tribalism
good for being actually in a war, not so good for anything else,
but I'll drop it anyways because it's pretty off-topic at this point

vvvv
:cheers:

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 6, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Tai posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Criminal_Court#/media/File:ICC_member_states.svg

He's free to visit the red colours
The yellow atm
Some of the green countries will look the other way South Africa is a safe bet will look the other way for example. Maybe I'm wrong. Brazil will be interesting what they do with Silva now incharge.

noone will arrest the sitting president of a nuclear state

i mean if he tried doing a road trip through Europe, it'd force their hands, but without that kind of flaunting, it's not happening.

far too much to lose for any individual place with the capability and will, nothing to really gain - it's not like it'd end the war, it would be a huge vector to escalate it if anything, imagine the propaganda of "the westerners kidnapped our president", combined with the incentive it'd create to fully north-koreanize Russia for whoever took power after him, it would be a bad move

any nation that did it would be geopolitically hosed, regardless of how much common goodwill it earned then internationally - no leader of any world power is gonna associate with a Snitch State that might bag their dudes for an international court

plus the US wouldn't be down for it happening because supporting it would set a precedent for charging people like Cheney & GWB

The ICC charges are functionally theater to make Putin lose face internationally and discourage neutral countries from dealing with Russia, noone will act on them unless Russia's govt. actually collapses

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Tai posted:

lol he'll 100% get arrested in most EU countries. Russia isn't going to nuke anyone in the EU or NATO/NATO friends.

nah dude you are tripping

he would if he went there to go "nanana you can't arrest me", because they'd have to, but he wouldn't do that. if he doesn't do that, no one's gonna try to arrest him regardless of where he goes. it won't happen

countries cannot allow that and still be independent nations, it just doesn't happen, the entire concept of being a sovereign nation is hinged on that poo poo. it's why the US isn't signatory to it either and has that "invade the hague" law justincase;
not because they're worried about it happening, the admission that it could be allowed in itself is unacceptable, and since we've got war criminals who deserve charges we're forced to remind everyone. it's kinda like copyright, you use it or lose it

arresting a sitting head of a nuclear power is fully uncharted territory diplomatically and there's no telling who would take power next or how willing to hit the button preemptively they are, but it's
100% certain they'd have an insanely strong incentive to never cooperate with the west at any level ever, ever again as long as that govt exists

when a country isn't militarily dismantled in an occupation you can't just... do stuff like that to them, if they have ICBMs lol. they don't have to fire them, the existence of them at all changes everything, noone is gonna go provoking them by imprisoning their head of state while the government and military apparatus is still there

it would create an unacceptable amount of risk for conventional war breaking out between Russia and a member of the EU or NATO or both, which Russia could argue was initiated by the other party due to their head of state being imprisoned by them according to an international body they don't recognize.

Russia's government would have no option but to take that stance bc realpolitik, any other would turn Russia into a western vassal state. if they're willing to steal your country's main guy, from the Russian government's perspective, they're not respecting your national sovereignty, diplomatic standards or adherence to international law, as Russia isn't signatory to the ICC.

That argument doesn't have to convince anyone except Russia, and only enough to do something serious back, and then it either very rapidly becomes a fuckin awkward frozen conflict stretched across thousands and thousands of miles of bordering land, or goes nuclear.

there's no win condition against a nuclear state without it going nuclear, nato would obv. wipe Russia conventionally but there couldn't be a conventional military dismantlement because that's the condition for Russia to hit the button. without doing that, you get the great DMZ line that noone on earth wants and a gigantic nuclear state with no reason to not dump all of its money into funding international terrorism and crime

like, there's no way, none ever, that Russia would, or could, simply be okay with that happening as things are now, which means it will not happen. things don't work like that, because it's too dangerous to gently caress around with.

Tigey posted:

I think this is all broadly true in the case of Putin.

What is interesting though, is that in addition to issuing a warrant for him, they also issued one for a mid-level bureaucrat, the Commissioner for Children's rights, Maria Lvova-Belova.

I think the fact her warrant was also issued, sends a signal that to people within the regime, that whilst Putin may be untouchable, they aren't. They can and will be targetted, and won't have the same protection he has. They will have to watch where they travel for the rest of their lives.

And furthermore Putin won't be around forever to protect them... A future Russian president could potentially see them as a useful bargaining chip to be extradited, in an effort to ease sanctions.

I think this is going to make some Russia elites a bit more anxious. They aren't immune from consequences anymore.

yeah, they're not protected in the same ways at all. they'd be a political chip if arrested and russia would throw a fit over it, but it wouldn't carry the same risks as arresting Putin or other top-level govt would, so they'd get popped right away. it's one of those principle/precedent things more than anything else, no sovereign state can let it slide

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 19, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

CommieGIR posted:

Going to be blunt: Because you are not saying anything original. You are practically just repeating a catchphrase at this point.

Yes. War is bad. Ukraine didn't want a War. Russia started a war with the clear intent and goal of ethnic cleansing and now stated genocide. So to come in and drop 3 word catchphrases about a war nobody but Russia wanted is loving pathetic.

We're done discussing this. KirbyKhan has been warned multiple times not to do this. So knock it off.

No. It was not. And if you do this again you will get probed. If you want to discuss the probe, go to the SAD Forum. This is the end of this discussion in this thread

Can you clarify what you're prohibiting here?

I'm not arguing about that probe or about whatever rule(s) you're setting, just trying to get what exactly is being restricted for future reference because it's kinda vague, like I can't tell what "it" you're telling whoever not to do again in the second half of the post refers to at all, and I'm not sure what you're saying isn't allowed

bc there's a lot of whitenoise nocontent catchphrase posting in this thread - which, I'm not saying like 'so get them too!!', idc about it, I'm just saying it's there, and allowed, so banning 'repeating tired catchphrases' on its own doesn't make sense

so I'm confused on what is actually being prohibited, like, are you talking about just empty quoting that post in particular or emptyquoting/posting sentiments that the thread disagrees with in general, or specifically low-content posts that the thread disagrees with, or the "war bad" one in particular?

Because reading that as-is has a feel of 'anything that isn't in line with the Ukrainian narrative, from anyone, is unwelcome and will be punished, full stop' which, I don't think you're intending, it's just how i read it and so I'm guessing it'll be how at least some other people will read it & think it'd probably be good to clarify what precisely you're cracking down on

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Lammasu posted:

At the grocery store I worked at I noticed none of our vodka was made in Russia so I asked if we should put up a sign. Now, I don't want to dredge up stuff but I've wondered if all Odinists are also white supremacists. I mean it America it's especially awkward because more American's exposure to Nordic myth is Marvel so it was created by Jews.

not all are

but a lot of white supremacists are, they try to use it in prisons to get white-racist-only religious gatherings

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Sedgr posted:

Prig fall out a window yet?

the whole thing with him is an act, prighozin's running a combination honeypot for potential opposition, propaganda & professional wrestling act all in one, him and putin are supertight - it's his peers shoigu, gerasimov he doesn't like (and that might also be an act to block other ambitious potential threats out)

remember he's not just heading wagner, he also started/ran/(runs?) the Internet Research Agency troll farms and has been The guy for externally directed russian psychological warfare, propaganda & disinfo operations for like 15 years, and that's been the geopolitical arena they've had the most success in, by far, in that timespan - take that into account any time you see any media coverage/posts about anything with his name attached to em

he knows exactly what he's doing w/r/t public persona, current narratives, image, it's all intentional & carefully managed

lately it seems like he's hogging up all of the attention he can so that actual dissent/opposition can't get a platform as easily & to obstruct Ukraine from totally running the narrative day-to-day, since the main Russian govt & military apparatus itself isn't able to directly play the rapid social media coverage game like Ukraine's has been and their larger scale staged trickery that they've normally leaned on to coax opinions(false flags, etc) is too inflexible and slow to successfully pull off when it's being actively watched for

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Der Kyhe posted:

He lives and breaths, several weeks after basically saying that Putin is no longer capable of leading the country and calls wrong shots. That should be evidence enough that its a smoke and mirrors show approved by the Tsar himself.

one of putins favorite tricks is to create his own controlled opposition to control both sides of a story and compromise any actual coalitions against him from forming without being stuffed with informants

it's a big part of how he shut down the political coalition against him in 2011-ish iirc, one of the parties representing about half of the opposition was being run by one of his cronies & did a heelturn that killed any momentum or willingness to cooperate in the other legitimate blocs

between that and ruthlessly punishing any perceived genuine disloyalty, it makes it just about impossible for people to work together to oppose him at any level

if you see someone going after putin getting Russian media coverage? it aint real

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Joke Miriam posted:

What ever happened to that scary bald guy with the SS tattoos who was talked about a lot before Prigozhin was a public facing figure? Is he the top guy actually overseeing combat operations, as an actual soldier unlike Prig?

that's Dmitry Utkin, he founded the organization, former GRU, his callsign is Wagner & that's why they're called Wagner Group

he's probably overseeing operations, but there's not any clear info about that, afaik?

prighozin is essentially their financier/PR lightningrod guy more than anything else, i don't think he's actually calling shots on the ground

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 19, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol did Prigo really Musky his way into being a founder retroactively

Obviously he's somehow still tolerated. But I really don't get the play here. Openly calling the leadership (not just some local nobodies like is the custom) incompetent and treasonous to, what? Own the non-existing opposition?

its classic divide & conquer thru controlled opposition

if one person is angrily yelling at the leader, another who is considering it doesn't because their own anger is relieved vicariously by it - one down
another who wants to yell about something else the leader hosed up doesn't have the room to get attention on it because a more prominent figure is dominating airtime/public attention - stopped another one
and a third person reaches out to prighozin to work against Putin and prighozin forwards their message directly to the FSB

the purpose is to be established before the actual opposition is able to start, on any particular point - that legitimizes the astroturf and allows it to quietly hamstring everything after - you don't hear about any of that stuff tho cept maybe some of the window reports

they know there's always going to be dissenters, especially silent dissent, that's not a problem, even if it's the majority opinion overall, as long as it's dissent split over different issues

the problem is when the dissent is all able to line up, find a shared common issue and find a way for it to be expressed simultaneously, e.g. mass protest, military/police leadership turning against the state

the solution is perpetually interrupting that cycle of anger towards the state's behavior with artificial outbursts and other emotionally triggering stuff ( e.g. false flag terror attacks, foiled assassination attempts, evil westerners trying to destroy russian culture) so that dissent can't naturally coalesce into one shared beef with the ruler with a shared slogan, symbol, etc. and is instead some people mad about the war, some about the failure to win it, some about the economy, some about social/moral stuff, some about the authoritarianism/antidemocratic stuff, some who are pro-western/nato, etc.

constant changing and conflicting artificially constructed narratives dominating the public's attention leaves less room for anything else to grow

scaring people about the consequences of voicing their own unhappiness and having a paranoid police state stops any dissenters from sharing their views openly or cooperating

this isn't something only russia does ofc, but they do it tough

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Der Kyhe posted:

He also got an Aunt Himars visit year ago when the Wagner were squatting at some high school in Ukraine. He didn't die, but didn't he get shrapnel treatment as a take-home souvenir?

I remember that Wagner commandpost getting hit but i don't remember hearing anything solid about him being there & couldn't find anything saying he was from a quick search

from what i can see he's commanding stuff in bakhmut atm, although probably not IN bakhmut, he seems to be one of the few wagner people who's good at staying alive, he was in Syria heading up that big wipe against the US outpost too, afaik.
rumor is they did that knowing how it'd go down because they didn't wanna pay those guys and were hoping to maybe kill some troops w/ plausible deniability and gently caress with public opinion in the US
they really throw away life like it's absolutely nothing at all in that group

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Randarkman posted:

While that may be true, what makes for a decent security force is not the same that makes for a decent military. Just because the security forces are good at quashing dissent and maintaining regime control and continuity doesn't mean they'd be better at military operations than the military.

I also don't really buy the argument that these countries deliberatedly make their armeis terrible, it's more that any decent dictator is probably gonna be using a number of strategies of ruling and dividing to prevent potentially strong opponents from emerging.

the Russian army is absolutely intentionally weakened by the state - especially in terms of its political influence, the police state is very solidly established above them in the pecking order in every way f.ex. Russian army bases regularly have to pay protection money to the fuckin mob, that's how big of chumps they are domestically

the problem they've had is that intentional crippling stacked onto the unintentional crippling from corruption which ended up being far greater in effect

they tried deploying some rosgvardia early on near Kyiv, intending to occupy territory, and the elements they sent got wiped because they're trained in crowd control stuff & were equipped for it too (think riot control gear instead of ballistic protection)

they're better paid than the RUAF are & have better equipment and undergo more training, but they're specialized for domestic situations and not suited to fighting pitched battles against uniformed armies at all, but there's a lot of them, 700k~ (and afaik they do have highpower weaponry of their own like artillery & armor so they're not like, entirely a bunch of dudes with batons )

another important detail with the rosgv. is they report directly to Putin, not to the Russian armed forces, or the Russian Federation

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
the best thing that raid in belgorod could do is prob. torch all the military property and every vehicle or piece of gear they can't hide or extract into ukraine and then just disappear imo, then do something else there/elsewhere later

if they try to actually hold onto land and fight it'll be bad because they definitely don't have enough of anything to withstand the inevitable rus army response

they're slow as poo poo but they're definitely not gonna let that slide even if they've gotta level a few blocks and blame the all civilian casualties on Ukraine

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Der Kyhe posted:

Surely you mean giving Nevanlinna back to Ingrians and Karelians.

we demand yhe restoration øv Gothia, as-well as yhe Pontic Harr Bors øv Theodosia, i Kalamita, to rightful Tauric Chersonese rule

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
the donbas is Scythian, and the Kerch bridge belongs to the Cimmerian Bosporides, end of loving discussion.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Sashimi posted:

The biolabs line of bullshit goes back at least as far the 80s, when the Soviet Union tried to spread disinfo about HIV coming out of a lab.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/27/south-african-intelligence-officers-spread-aids-black-communities

quote:

it also claims the group’s then leader had a racist, apocalyptic obsession with HIV/Aids. Keith Maxwell wrote about a plague he hoped would decimate black populations, cement white rule, and bring back conservative religious mores, according to papers collected by the film-makers.

Maxwell had no medical qualifications but ran clinics in poor, mostly black areas around Johannesburg while claiming to be a doctor. That gave him the opportunity for sinister experimentation, Jones says in the film, Cold Case Hammarskjöld. The film-makers were investigating SAIMR because it claimed responsibility for the mysterious 1961 plane crash that killed Dag Hammarskjöld, then UN secretary general.

“What easier way to get a guinea pig than [when] you live in an apartheid system?” Jones says in the film. “Black people have got no rights, they need medical treatment. There’s a white ‘philanthropist’ coming in and saying, ‘You know, I’ll open up these clinics and I’ll treat you.’ And meantime [he is] actually the wolf in sheep’s clothing

A sign advertising “Dokotela [doctor] Maxwell” still hangs from the side of an office in Putfontein where locals remember a respected man with a virtual monopoly on the area’s healthcare. He offered strange treatments. including putting patients through “tubes”, which he said allowed him to see inside their bodies. He also gave “false injections”, said Ibrahim Karolia, who ran a shop across the road.

Documents collected by the film-makers appear to show that Maxwell’s private views were very different from his public persona. The papers suggest a ghoulish delight in the advent of an epidemic. In one he writes: “[South Africa] may well have one man, one vote with a white majority by the year 2000. Religion in its conservative, traditional form will return. Abortion on demand, abuse of drugs, and the other excesses of the 1960s, 70s and 80s will have no place in the post-Aids world.”

Jones, the former SAIMR member, claims he did. “We were involved in Mozambique, spreading the Aids virus through medical conditions,” he says.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

tango alpha delta posted:

Paul_soccer is now a person of interest. Enjoy your free lifetime of government surveillance!

I was the systems administrator for a manufacturer of parts for nuclear weapons. The security at such a facility is extremely tight. Carrying a phone onto the manufacturing floor is immediate cause for termination and criminal prosecution.

what

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

fatherboxx posted:

There are not signs pointing to it at the moment.
Until regular army begins having ideas, it is a non-starter.

yeah, anyone thinking that Russia is anywhere near a civil war or military/govt collapse or an ousting/coup of putin is drinking too much ukr propaganda koolaid, there's nothing to suggest it's in the cards as things are.

putin right now has as strong a grip on Russian government as he ever has, he holds popular public support (whether actual or manufactured, same effect when that support isn't being openly challenged by opposition ) and the Russian government, military and police forces still hold the monopoly on violence within Russia uncontested (cept for abt 17 hours in belgorod)

as long as those things don't change, the Russian govt won't change

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

fizzy posted:

Bad news for Russia - Their military is running out of basic supplies such as ammo and even food.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-food-weapons-shortage-ukraine-b2041181.html

Supplies for Russian soldiers are so low they have only three days’ worth of food, ammunition and fuel left, the Ukrainian general staff of the armed forces have claimed.

“According to available information, the Russian occupation forces operating in Ukraine have stockpiles of ammunition and food for no more than three days,” the armed forces official said in a statement.

It added: “The situation is similar with fuel, which is replenished by tank trucks. The occupiers were unable to organise a pipeline to meet the needs of the grouping of troops.”
March 23

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Karma Comedian posted:

Let's not do this

"My some other guys wife-not" - Borat Sagdiyev, "BORДT! Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan", 2006

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

fatherboxx posted:

The idea that Russian soldiers are on a big salvage quest to get chips from washing machines for the emperor's missile factory got to be the most stupid misconception i've seen about this war.

Grey import channels exist you know
especially since they were almost always stealing toilets at the same time

whole lotta electrical hardware in toilets

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

ded posted:

my friend, have you seen japanese toilets?

not in kherson

perfect time for them to enter the market too tbh

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Winkle-Daddy posted:

an article was posted where they're doing the same with other appliances. I don't know what's different about washing machines, maybe you could explain how they are different? I just kind of assume all electronics being sent back are being stripped as that's common sense. why they'd be like "ah, let's strip this for parts but not this" seems like a silly hair to try to split when evidence good enough for most of the thread that this is done with other electronics has already been posted and the counter argument was "nuh uh" and "I know people"

theyre stealing em for personal use not seizing them

if they were seizing them you would have seen an organized effort in occupied cities or villages, not some crustpunk mobik riding off from a 400 person town with one strapped to the top of a BMP-2

front line troops who get to populated places are just gta characters unless there's someone making them not be and nobody gave a poo poo about not upsetting the smaller towns it seems like, so they jacked em and the troops they sent to the smallest areas were the ones from the poorest areas of Russia

it was not for missiles or tanks or any chips

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What causes/enables them to target their own launcher like that? Wouldn't being behind the launching missile/torpedo prevent that just by its nature?

sometimes shir gets hosed up and the inertial system thinks it's flipped backwards or it'll think it's projected course is its trail and so it flips around or something like that i think I'm not a missile technician tho
sometimes maneuvering surfaces fail, or the system was set on some maintenance mode

it's unimaginably hard to make something detect and identify an incoming missile or plane, relate he information from the radar to its own location and then plot an intercept course
fire and fly to detonate successfully, automatically

there's gotta be hundreds of thousands of things that can go wrong in any modern missile AA system between the rockets and sensors and software and operator error

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

what's the joke hes making supposed to be?

it looks like they're putting together piles of parts for tanks they're activating from storage? they've got two big stacks of them

i mean it looks kinda like the last picknpull lot i went to except with tanks, and the russian custom that all collections of items must be piled onto themselves directly isn't that great for radiators

but those are real tanks

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I think he's using radiator as an example of the critical parts that a lot of these tanks have been stripped of. Sure there's a lot of tanks with barrels and poo poo but that does not make a tank. If it doesn't have a radiator the loving thing can't drive.

Sure you might have 13,000 tanks but it takes five tanks to make one running tank. Do the math on that 2000 tanks are already dead so you've got maybe a thousand to two working tanks slash takes that need to be reassembled before working

i don't think any country leaves the powerplants or drivetrains in hardware that's in long term storage at all, at the very least things get stripped to the block and covered/sealed
definitely not things like radiators just exposed to the elements
theyve only got those little slats and thin grating to keep leaves and hands and poo poo from hitting them they'd get ruined pretty quick

no combustion engines can sit outside hooked for 30-50+ years untouched and not have most of them become bricks inside and out

i mean there's prolly lots of stolen poo poo, but it likely got stolen from warehouses more than stripped off the tanks, they wouldn't leave much stuff on the tanks

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Molothecat posted:

what's the joke, here? I'm sure all those parts are sitting in nearby warehouses in pristine condition

Russia's done nothing but prove themselves to be competent forward-thinkers

i think those are the parts from the warehouse and they're putting stacks of parts out to be installed, it's just a lovely unmowed lot and they're stacking them lovely

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

tiaz posted:

lmao come on dude

dude im not in the russian military i just know that leaving the wholeass engine hooked up to a mothballed vehicle sitting outdoors is goofy, the radiators sit ontop of the engine e:oops its in the back on those tanks and radiators especially are inherently flimsy things that in the middle of the woods somewhere like that looks to be can get trashed by like, small mammals and debris over decades, aswell as being lightweight and made out (relatively) expensive material compared to the rest of the tank and seem unlikely to be just, left in the tanks but maybe they do it, wouldn't really surprise me

i just don't think anybody would do that

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 31, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Radiators for those kind of diesels are not flimsy, they are big and heavy and made from metals / alloys that dont rust / deteriorate due to just mere outdoors easily.

nah i wasn't thinking about rust, more like being left to decades of racoons climbing and rats nests and poo poo with the little ones they're carrying and stacking there, plus any rubber/plastic gaskets or seals and stuff like that getting dryrotted away
idk though maybe they just leave it all outside

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

tiaz posted:

lmao come ON dude

look at the picture again there is no way those dudes are installing that rusted out poo poo on that rusted out poo poo

its not rust its patina

but it makes more sense than pulling a bunch of oldass radiators off of tanks that've been sitting on in the elements for decades to put into other, better running condition tanks that just don't have radiators (unless those ones got stolen & they didn't find out until like, now, which just occurred to me and would make sense tbh)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Toxic Mental posted:

This looks more like a junkyard than anything else

they wouldn't have the turrets on with the seals on the recoil tubing and stuff, i'm pretty sure they're in storage

tiaz posted:

ok grandpa. let's get you back to cspam.
ah, an accurate read of reality. im a fricken tankie coming from cspam the forum i am a deeply affiliated poster with and I'm here to say i think they're putting radiators into the tankie instead of taking them out as some sort of russia defender thing? what are you doing with this stuff dude you are extremely off base here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

HonorableTB posted:

If anyone knows enough about Soviet/Russian computing to do an effortpost that would be really fun to read

i dont but heres a couple soviet mechanical computer videos

first one they used on soyuz for navigation until 2002, they open it up and the inside is wild

the second one is a mechanical computer calculating the square root of a number and one of the coolest looking pieces of machinery I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmHaCQ8Ul6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sUsiYnHwqI