Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I feel like Turkey's got a long-term strategy of cultivating influence over former Russian client states, and trying to at least snag some military contracts as they do. The Bayraktar drones have been important for Ukraine and apparently were a decisive factor in the Armenia-Azerbaijan war. The coverage I saw of that conflict seemed to indicate Russia only showed up for mop-up duties towards the end of that, whereas Azerbaijan was leveraging Turkish drones the whole time.

Turkey also got the boot from the F-35 program for negotiating for the S-400 air defense system at the same time. Erdogan got caught trying to play both sides against each other, and I have to wonder if that was a long-shot gamble to bolster Turkey's military-industrial complex by getting access to as much advanced tech as they could. He definitely has already seen that Moscow is in long-term decline, and wants to strengthen his position as a regional power with an eye towards being a global power. Letting the Saudis get away with murdering Khashoggi in Turkey was probably part of that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

kuarduck posted:

How does an active shooting war only justify a 20% increase in risk payments? Shouldn't that be much higher since Ukraine had already shown they will attack these tankers?

Looks like this is an increase in a war risk premium that's already been tacked on, and shipping actuaries that have any exposure to the Persian Gulf have plenty of prior data to work with involving oil shipments with major shooting wars in the vicinity.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Must be said, the Ron Paul GIF is particularly apropos here

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Dwesa posted:

maybe Russia will nuke Siberia after all :shrug:

I'm still a little bit shocked that Trump didn't threaten to do this first.

Budzilla posted:

Sort of asking your rich uncle for a new Mercedes Benz for your birthday and he gifts you one of their commercial buses.

Hell yeah, look at this beast. Time for Vanlife Extreme!

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

A universal truth, simply stated:

Sedgr posted:

Fart noises. Good joke!

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Samovar posted:

This seems very... Callous? Very... Banal in the face of the political reality of the moment.

Or maybe I just find it to be stupidly cringe.

Not disagreeing that it's kinda cringe, but I also feel like this is a deep cut unless you're so nerdy as to be into the Star Trek soundtracks, not just the show. I gotta wonder how many people actually present would've pegged it as being from Star Trek, just as much as I wonder who the heck chose it.

I've also heard a couple times over the years that Jerry Goldsmith more or less copy'n'pasted the same theme song for Air Force One with Harrison Ford the year after First Contact came out, so if that's where they cribbed it from, uh... that's even more cringe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

quote:

“When we return after this work period, we’ll be moving a product, but it’s going to have some important innovations,” Mr. Johnson said on Sunday in an interview on Fox News.

lmao pure-strain LinkedIn speech