Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

DiomedesGodshill posted:

I've been reading about a strike on a Donetsk civilian market. Ukraine has HIMARS and doesn't attack civilians. I just assume it was Russia's incompetence and/or has a history of intentionally targeting civilians even if victims are their own.

Ukraine through official policy might not, but disgruntled commanders certainly could. I dunno what Himars has to do with this, but apparently the market was hit with 155/152mm artillery shells, which is obviously used way more often than any of the missile systems, and available to pretty much everyone on the front, with little oversight

Sure, Russia MIGHT have bombed their own market, but I think it's far more likely to be perpetrated by elements from the AFU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

bob dobbs is dead posted:

navalny was a brave man but a tacky one. here's his last flight into russia

gently caress that, he was a huge racist piece of poo poo

https://web.archive.org/web/2012010...ses-russia.html

NYT posted:

Five years ago, he quit the liberal party Yabloko, frustrated with the liberals’ infighting and isolation from mainstream Russian opinion. Liberals, meanwhile, have deep reservations about him, because he espouses Russian nationalist views. He has appeared as a speaker alongside neo-Nazis and skinheads, and once starred in a video that compares dark-skinned Caucasus militants to cockroaches. While cockroaches can be killed with a slipper, he says that in the case of humans, “I recommend a pistol.”

:waycool:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

steinrokkan posted:

I wonder if crippling the generation of reproductive age people will help in alleviating the looming demographic crisis :thunk:

Probably not, but it seems to be worse in Ukraine by a whole lot. This article is some seriously depressive reading

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/03/15/ukraine-village-mobilized-men-war/

You have to be a very special kind of lovely human to participate in forced conscription of civillians, regardless of nationality

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
If this was a false flag, Putin would have a prepared speech and press packages ready to go- that his only response has been to give condolances to relatives and wish the survivors well, tells me that Russia doesn't yet have enough reliable information on the perpetrators to make a statement, spin or otherwise.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

haddedam posted:

only russia can manage looking like victims after they invade a neighbouring country and conduct war crimes with brutality not thought possible outside of japanese ww2 human research labs.

Have you read a single book, or even skimmed a wikipedia article on.. uh, pretty much any major armed conflict since world war 2? Russia's hands are far from clean, but the last century has seen so many warcrimes, a not insignificant chunk of them committed by the united states and its allies.

See also what's happening in Gaza right now, if you don't want to learn about literally anything else that has happened since 1945

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

haddedam posted:

"whatabout americca conducting all the worst war crimes ever" is one of my favorite tankie talking points of all time.

Then maybe you should reflect on that for a bit, because it doesn't seem like you do a lot of it

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

haddedam posted:

Not interested in tankie talking points or shoehorned whataboutism. Sorry, find another victim.

Not memoryholing previous atrocities when it's politically convenient isn't a "tankie talking point"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

LordArgh posted:

ukraine should start hitting belarusian refineries too. they've been involved in this war from the start and what are they realistically going to do about it

whatever the benefits of attacking belarusian refineries, would be extremely outweighed by making another active front, when ukraine can't even man the one they're fighting over now

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

LordArgh posted:

the belarusian army is completely useless and won't win anything except maybe a contest of circus tricks

even if they were the worst army in the world, they would still cost ammunition, artillery and manpower that ukraine just doesn't have to spare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Toxic Mental posted:

Wow I guess they should just surrender and let themselves get ethnically cleansed

magical thinking about bombing belarus without repercussions will surely bring about victory