Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

THE FINALS

What is this?
The Finals is a F2P FPS based around 4 teams of 3 trying to secure an objective and protect it in small, heavily destructible maps. Chaos is the name of the game here with lots of destruction and gadgets being used in each match.

Who is making this?
Embark Studios, which is made up of several ex-DICE employees including former DICE CEO Patrick Söderlund. For those that don't know, :dice: are the ones that make the Battlefield series, so they have a lot of experience with janky fps games and destructibility.

What makes this game unique?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAK5xFWA3pk
The maps are extremely destructible. Old Battlefield games have a very static form of destruction where once you've seen a building blow up, it will always blow up like that every time. The Finals is different. The destruction is handled on the server-side and appears to be completely dynamic. This allows players to approach problems and objectives in unique ways that will play out differently each time. If there's an enemy barricaded in a room with the objective, the player can blow through a wall, blow up the ceiling, or even blow out the floor and drop the objective to the next level. Time will show just how dynamic the destruction really is, but it looks fun.

What is the game objective?
Every match, 4 teams of 3 players will try to capture a cube and deposit it at a station to get cash. When the cube is being processed, other teams will be notified so that they can try to steal the cube for themselves. The game revolves around capturing a mobile objective and trying to extract its contents while defending against other players that may also be fighting amongst themselves. Whatever team has the most money by the end of the round wins. It looks like it will be very chaotic.

What kind of weapons are there?
For the primary weapons, it appears to be pretty standard stuff; AKs, RPGs, LMGs, SMGs, etc. The gadgets, though, are a bit more unique. So far, I've seen deployable cover, energy shields, anti-personnel mines, deployable ziplines, grapple hooks, invisibility cloaks, the goo-gun from Prey, healing guns, sentry turrets, and even deployable jump pads. It seems like there's a ton of fun toys for players to experiment with and see what they like.

When can I play it?
NOW ITS OUT NOW!!

What does it look like?
Here's some videos that give a decent overview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYQLw2b__qA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGRoborkkw4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nf8l0M_8Z0

Here's a discord for playing The Finals with goons:

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This game actually looks really cool, but I suspect it will fail pretty quickly and shut down. Its coming into a super saturated market, and competitive FPS gamers are super picky.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya, it does seem like it might be a flash in the pan kinda thing, but the gameplay looks really solid so there may be a chance it catches on.

Either way, Im gonna give it a shot and see how it goes. Would love to get some goons together and get up to some shenanigans cause it does seem like the kind of game where a dedicated team can pull off some funny stuff

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
I've been hyped for this game since they dropped the first info, haven't managed to get into any alphas though. Fingers crossed I make it into the beta.

I think the game has a very valuable niche that gives it good odds of success, the destruction. I have heard from playtesters that the destruction is incredible and really delivers. That's a huge selling point because there's no game really doing that. BF really ain't it anymore for that itch.

That said we'll see when it comes out!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

here are the PC specs for the beta

quote:

Minimum:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K or AMD Ryzen R5 1600X processor
RAM: 12GB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 580
Recommended:

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K or AMD Ryzen R5 1600X processor
RAM: 16GB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER or AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Recommended RTX:

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K or AMD Ryzen R5 1600X processor
Video: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Recommended Ultra RTX:

CPU: Intel i7-9700K or AMD Ryzen 2700X processor
Video: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti

seems pretty reasonable, was expecting a bit more for the minimum specs due to the destruction. I wonder if that being server-side helps with the optimization

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe the destructibility will be enough to make the gameplay different? Not sure. Although smaller map based means it has to compete with a poo poo ton of other fps's.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played the first beta and had a blast.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
I really like how the money banks can be on moving platforms, elevators, etc. The gameplay is going to be absolutely nuts.

I hate the Overwatch design they seem to have gone with though. I swear they have used the same font. The Battle Pass screen also looks completely ripped from Overwatch. It's funny... the bottom half of the screen makes me think of Hell Let Loose and the top half Overwatch. It's a weird contrast but overall I can't ignore it and find it distracting even. Hope it changes! Everything else looks great!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Uriah Heep posted:

I've been hyped for this game since they dropped the first info, haven't managed to get into any alphas though. Fingers crossed I make it into the beta.

I think the game has a very valuable niche that gives it good odds of success, the destruction. I have heard from playtesters that the destruction is incredible and really delivers. That's a huge selling point because there's no game really doing that. BF really ain't it anymore for that itch.

That said we'll see when it comes out!

How does the destruction compare to Rainbow Six Siege? Cause that is what this really reminds me of because of the small team competitive stuff. Battlefield probably couldn't do destruction on the same level as this game just on account of needing to optimize for multiple consoles, and 64+ players. 2042 had to scale destruction way back in order to achieve 128 player matches, and then :dice: basically got rid of 128 player matches lol.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
From what I played, the destruction isn't the same as R6. You're not really shooting holes in walls, you're blowing up the walls with RPGs and C4. Entire buildings can be collapsed in a fun, albeit still janky fashion. So more destruction, but not as granular. It's also small in terms of player numbers but the maps are comparatively big so there are a bunch of movement abilities.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

From what I played, the destruction isn't the same as R6. You're not really shooting holes in walls, you're blowing up the walls with RPGs and C4. Entire buildings can be collapsed in a fun, albeit still janky fashion. So more destruction, but not as granular. It's also small in terms of player numbers but the maps are comparatively big so there are a bunch of movement abilities.

That is a good explanation! In R6, you can blow up walls with C4 and stuff like that. I liked how you could blow up the floor above another floor, and enter a room that way. It had some really neat and creative ways to play, but UBISoft being UBISoft slowly strangled the community to death. But yeah, nothing like leveling an entire building.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

truther posted:

I really like how the money banks can be on moving platforms, elevators, etc. The gameplay is going to be absolutely nuts.

I hate the Overwatch design they seem to have gone with though. I swear they have used the same font. The Battle Pass screen also looks completely ripped from Overwatch. It's funny... the bottom half of the screen makes me think of Hell Let Loose and the top half Overwatch. It's a weird contrast but overall I can't ignore it and find it distracting even. Hope it changes! Everything else looks great!

i dont follow, do you mean the UI or menus? Cause the art design looks nothing like Overwatch. Its realistic-ish characters with real-world weapons, not nearly as stylized as Overwatch imo

i guess some of the fancier gadgets could fit in with Overwatch, but I get a more Apex Legends vibe from those

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 7, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The character designs remind me more of Valorant. Which is a positive in my opinion. Valorant screams personality and identity in my opinion. Something that turned me off games like Counter-Strike was that it was so bland looking.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

now that I think about it, this game does give me heavy Brink vibes...

hopefully it will avoid a similar fate

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

now that I think about it, this game does give me heavy Brink vibes...

hopefully it will avoid a similar fate

NO DONT THINK LIKE THAT LETS JUST FORGET THAT EVER HAPPENED :gonk:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

looks like the beta has started. Anyone get in?

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
For those looking for beta access I got one through Steel Series by downloading their "GG" software, verifying my email, and just clicking on giveaways on the left side of the app. Not sure how many keys they have but I only got mine an hour ago so they might still have some available.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i tried doing that but their email verification seems broken. They wont let me verify my account so I cant get the key

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i tried doing that but their email verification seems broken. They wont let me verify my account so I cant get the key

Yeah verification was very slow. Took me like 30 minutes to get an email but it eventually came through.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

pootiebigwang posted:

Yeah verification was very slow. Took me like 30 minutes to get an email but it eventually came through.

:f5:

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Just a heads up, I simply requested access through steam yesterday and got an invite/confirmation email from steam this morning.

I didn't have to verify or do anything really and its on my steam account now.

Also asks to install easy anti cheat

poe meater fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 7, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

all right, got a code through SteelSeries so that still works. It did take several hours for the email verification to go through.

unfortunately im at work so I wont be able to give it a shot for a bit. Pretty excited though!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watching people play on Twitch, and this isn't having the environmental destruction that I was hoping for. Players are not really engaging with this mechanic at all actually.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I said come in! posted:

Watching people play on Twitch, and this isn't having the environmental destruction that I was hoping for. Players are not really engaging with this mechanic at all actually.

Well there's your problem: you're probably watching a competitive streamer that doesn't wanna have fun when- and I think I'm using this phrase correctly- "going for the W". Or are they leveling buildings for the gently caress of it?

Either way, I might get in to the beta... for about two days. Family trip. Any word on when the beta goes until?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ive been watching some streams too and it seems like it comes down to the players themselves. The opportunities for cool flanking plays through walls is there, its just that most ppl arent thinking that way yet cause its not something that is immediately apparent. Every time someone had the idea to go through a wall/ceiling/floor, it works just like you think it would. The problem is that everyone has decades of fps games training them to go through doors and up stairs instead of making their own entrances

Also, a lot of ppl I watched werent including any kind of explosives in their loadouts. I bet a coordinated squad could drop an entire building in moments and it would be really cool to see

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i dont follow, do you mean the UI or menus? Cause the art design looks nothing like Overwatch. Its realistic-ish characters with real-world weapons, not nearly as stylized as Overwatch imo

i guess some of the fancier gadgets could fit in with Overwatch, but I get a more Apex Legends vibe from those
The UI and menu. From things like the player icons up the top left to the layout of their menu and BP system.
I find it distracting haha. It's just so Overwatch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

widespread posted:

Well there's your problem: you're probably watching a competitive streamer that doesn't wanna have fun when- and I think I'm using this phrase correctly- "going for the W". Or are they leveling buildings for the gently caress of it?

Either way, I might get in to the beta... for about two days. Family trip. Any word on when the beta goes until?

Fair point! In future updates of the game during beta, I hope there will be more encouragement to level buildings to the ground in order to win. In this regard Fortnite does environment destruction better.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Fair point! In future updates of the game during beta, I hope there will be more encouragement to level buildings to the ground in order to win. In this regard Fortnite does environment destruction better.

Yeah, like if I were to level this building, the enemy snipers have to reposition. Or do it like how Siege teased and gimme a sledge hammer to break through a 2nd story floor, guns out etc.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I said come in! posted:

the game gives players infinite ammo for their weapons and gadgets. the objectives also spawn in buildings and are affected by physics. I dont see how they can encourage ppl any more than they already are. Players just need to git gud and start blowing poo poo up

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

I've played a couple games and so far I'd say the game has potential, but I hope this beta works the kinks out. Some of the weapon options feel absolutely worthless in terms of risk-reward. The sledgehammer and grenade launcher shouldn't take this many hits to knock someone out or even knock down a wall given how easy it is for an opponent to just mow you down while you wait to take the next swing/shot.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

pootiebigwang posted:

For those looking for beta access I got one through Steel Series by downloading their "GG" software, verifying my email, and just clicking on giveaways on the left side of the app. Not sure how many keys they have but I only got mine an hour ago so they might still have some available.

Thanks for the heads up, installing now :hellyeah:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

this games dope. Made a heavy "gently caress walls" build thats rpg, c4, and the Kool Aid man ability that lets you run through anything. Very satisfying to blow through a wall and flank enemies from what they thought was a safe angle

also nice for a hasty retreat. Im using mines too so i leave behind little surprises if anyone tries to follow me through the building i just trashed

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
So far it is very fun as long as you are in a good group. If you're in a group that fights together and uses their gadgets and abilities appropriately it's loving chaotic and nuts and ridiculously fun. Had a round where our team won at the last second by blowing up the floor to drop the cashout in progress like it's a drat heist and stealing it away. So far soloing is very hit or miss (like all FPS games I guess) bad teams that want to treat this like Call of Duty and go their own way to focus on kills will get destroyed. The game doesn't really reward that kind of gameplay at all it seems and you get waaaay more XP by playing the objective, as it should be. Is there a Discord setup for this anywhere that people are playing at?

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Playing more and enjoying it more.

The kool aid man move for the heavy can get some pretty cheesy kills.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

really want to get some goons together for some squad fun. Playing with randos is pain

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Game seems cool, reserving my full judgement until my can play with my usual crew because it seems like it could feel really tight with a communicative group. Right now randos are boring, won't play as a team, pick you up etc

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
looks real good, hope I get in

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the game gives players infinite ammo for their weapons and gadgets. the objectives also spawn in buildings and are affected by physics. I dont see how they can encourage ppl any more than they already are. Players just need to git gud and start blowing poo poo up

I would take out anything that uses bullets, and only give players weapons like rocket launchers that eject mini-nuclear bombs.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I would take out anything that uses bullets, and only give players weapons like rocket launchers that eject mini-nuclear bombs.

Brb gonna strap a MIRV to my cock and hug a wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Any long play clips that don’t feature a streamer talking or sharing a face cam?