Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

In terms of weapons I really like the repeater for the medium class (model 1887?) it hits like a truck and doesn’t require pixel perfect aim. (The AK is very good too)

For the heavy the Lewis is my go-to, I’ve tried the auto shotgun because people seem to love it but it’s micro reload every 4 shots has hosed me time and again so I’ve ditched it and not looked back.

Bank it and tournaments are the best game modes, Quick cash is just a bad version of tournament so I don’t really see the point of it. (unranked tournament is available when you don’t want the sweatiness of ranked)

I just hope they do something about cheaters because I’ve seen a couple already and I would hate to see such a fun game ruined by lack of support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

DarkDobe posted:

I am mad about this.
Lights cried enough to get it nerfed into nigh-uselessness. Now you more or less have to double up your mines, or combo them with the sentry if you want to keep lights off a point.

But the double barrel that 2-shots heavies is perfectly fine.

Lol who needs a double barrel when you can just land a stun gun shot on the heavy and it’s gg.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Best Monaco jump pads:
-On slanted rooftops to gain insane momentum.
-Right under a Velux you just entered, to ship anyone following you back into space :haw:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I've tested the light's DMR yesterday and that thing slaps, you can just kick people's butts from across the map or in close quarters no problem. Too bad my aim is poo poo.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

for what it's worth, i played a bunch of quick play games recently and I feel like I've run across zero players who I thought "yeah that guys on roller", so this game is still pretty enjoyable. maybe it's different in ranked.

i have a lot of experience in getting deleted at close range from players in cod. literally feels like you're getting aimbotted unless you dropshot.

my preference is for developers to figure out a way to make AA only slightly better at aiming tasks at different ranges across different skill curves to compensate for mnk advantages. i believe it's technically possible. unfortunately over decades I think a lot of roller players have been conditioned that a game's "aim" is bad unless it looks like an obvious rage aimbot, so this might be an unsolvable problem.

I don't think it's an unsolvable problem as much as the team will never implement the fix. (remove AA on PC and cross play between consoles and PC)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Wow this is great, I'm glad they're taking this issue seriously. Props to Embark for listening.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Relyssa posted:

i am tired of Light players in general but i am not tired of one-shotting them with the rocket launcher

Wiping an entire light team with just a nuke and a followup rpg feels amazing. They can keep the taser.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

The nerf to C4 is quite impactful, not necessarily in terms of damage because it still kicks rear end but the range is kinda garbage now. Gotta be real sneaky or above your targets. Haven't really felt the RPG and mesh shield nerfs.

New game mode is really fun, probably better than playing Bank it with randoms.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

TremorX posted:

LOL, taking the cranes down is a must (sniper no sniping!) and I've seen them bounce around the map, but I haven't seen them freak out that bad

My understanding is this is a bug you can reproduce by putting down barricades inside the crane's cabin and then using the inputs.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

The only body blocks my teammates ever provide are when I'm tossing a grenade forward.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

So apparently you can just frontstab people with the dagger and the dash ability ? Had a very obnoxious finals just now where a light just instagibbed us by dashing and hitting us from the side:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ObedientThoughtfulCheesecakePeanutButterJellyTime-2wFIkcr2H6EyfBm3
(starts mid-clip)

His explanation on stream was that basically you can hit any part of your target with the dagger so long as your hitbox is behind your target's (?) you get the full 320 damage.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Relyssa posted:

https://www.reachthefinals.com/patch-notes-10

I hope everyone enjoyed their time with recon senses while they could.

Given the finals I just played versus a triple medium team where I had to peek through DETECTED for the entire match to see what was going on, I'd say you can carry on as usual. :v:

The new bank it mode with cosmetic rewards is really cool though, the fixed loadout makes it quite different from the rest.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Laserface posted:

I dont see anyone countering my arguments about the announcers so I'll just say that they should have an option for critical game info only without the chit chat.

Your one argument was that the announcers were too loud, which I don't think they are so I'm not sure what your point is here. The UI is conveying information properly when it comes to the essentials:
> Is someone capping a cashout/vault > there is both a visual and audio cue
> Has a team been wiped ? > there is a countdown timer on that team's icon now
> Are your teammates dead or alive ? > visual elements convey their status decently enough

The biggest mistake I can think of with regards to the announcers was doing a half measure with their AI processing.

They should have either not used AI at all and have the actors just record their lines as usual, or go full AI and have the lines be generated on the fly. (costlier, and with some jank, but more interesting than what we got). The current state of things is they sound weird and robotic but without the upside of having actually dynamic lines, it's the worst of both worlds.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

As someone who has ever played with randos no, UI elements are not sufficient to explain those things and in fact there should be tactile force feedback where their monitor slaps them in the face every time someone starts stealing the cashout

I mean, you won't get any argument from me on that last part, but the information is there if you need it. :v:

At release you needed to tab all the time to check what's going on with the other teams but that's not so true anymore. Still I'd like a UI element in the top left to show exactly how many members of a team are alive or dead without having to tab, that'd be convenient.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

whaley posted:

oh does tournament look different now? i haven't gotten to try the new patch yet. also haven't heard anyone else mention that

It's amazing.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Nukes are dumb and I hope they completely kill the idea one way or another. (preferably not by nerfing C4 into the ground, it's a really fun tool!) I have a suspicion that some designers at Embark are clinging onto this game mechanic in a misguided attempt to have an equivalent to the C4 jeeps that generated a lot of youtube clips for the Battlefield games. I get it, it's free marketing and you can point to it as this sort of iconic gimmick to sell your game to new players but they really need to kill their darlings on this one.

Apparently they're planning a big content and marketing push for season 2 in march so I expect them to deal with the issue fairly soon.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Well, turns out the game is much more pleasant without getting instagibbed out of nowhere every 2 minutes. The new sweater you can unlock is super cute. :3:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Finished my solo queue grind to diamond at 1:30am. :madmax:

(I don’t play light)

The trailer for S2 is amazing, that 5v5 mode on a platform looks dope!

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Surely that means they will revert the C4 nerfs?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

d0grent posted:

they're getting rid of bank it :/

Wait what? Where am I going to get rid of my light class dailies guilt-free now?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

So what the post said was that they’re temporarily rotating out bank it and unranked tournaments because they have the fewest players. They will be back in the future but Embark wants to experiment with other game modes without splitting the player base too much.

Regarding playing light in 5v5, I have actually tried that. If the opposing team knows what they’re doing (bubbles, and barricaded APS turrets mainly) what you need is heavies with sledgehammers and charge&slam, glitch grenades don’t really help.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Too Many Birds posted:

gravity cube can create some extremely funny situations.

Oh word ? I was excited to try it so I've played a bunch of tournaments with the cube but not once did I think "I'm glad I gave up my C4 for this". What uses have you found for it? I've tried lifting cashouts on defense, that usually buys you 3 to 5 seconds at best. Using it for traversal is slow and leaves you really vulnerable so that's out. Haven't had the opportunity to fish a cashout from above but that seems to run into obvious problems. (#1 being opponents can just shoot it)

I watched a youtube vid that was suggesting using goo and jump pads to bounce the cashout around after lifting it. That seems kinda fun but also very impractical and challenging to set up with randoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

amitlu posted:

Terminal attack rules. I love how all damage matters so much more now with no healing. Class synergy seems better as well since Lights with a sniper across the map are actually really useful now. I hope they keep the mode.

Same, I'm really digging both Terminal attack and Power Shift. They're really fun (and very different) game modes.

Your point about light snipers rings very true. I loathe having them on my team in any other game mode because they typically contribute nothing to the objectives and everyone can just ignore them but in this one I actually started playing some because it's viable and really fun. The recon gadgets help a ton to prevent getting flanked or to breach defended rooms so it doesn't feel like you're just a headshot dispenser either. Heavy is still slightly dominant in my opinion but it's definitely less oppressive with the no gadgets recharge rule.

I'm still playing a bit of ranked on the side cause I'm a sucker for the rewards but I hope they keep fleshing out the new game modes. Judging from the subreddit the reception for terminal attack seemed lukewarm though so I'm not holding my breath.