Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
This game is extremely fun and I hope it gets traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It feels bad when people just wait outside the bank for like 90% of it's progress and then swoop in at last moment and take it and even though you had possession of it for 99% of the time you ultimately get nothing...

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Is there a goon discord or anything? Game is really fun but much better with three chill dudes

Edit: If not I might make one

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 2, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Infidelicious posted:

If you're letting them sit outside that's on you. Game really emphasizes keeping the other teams off balance.

If they're waiting that long to go for it you only have to keep them off for like 20 seconds.

Leaving your cashout to go hunt other teams is just asking for it to be taken out from under you.

As it stands holding the cashout point lets you play defensively which generally gives you an advantage. The problem is you can hold it from the very beginning, win 6 whole teamfights, lose the the 7th at the very end and earn virtually nothing. That feels very lovely when it happens.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Infidelicious posted:

Well if you won 6 team fights they didn't sit outside waiting till the last second to cap, now did they?

Like, you got a bunch of good fights and came out on top 6/7 times. poo poo happens, and cashout's being winner take all IS the comeback mechanic.

No one is saying cashouts shouldn't be valuable. But maybe 20% of the cash out's value should be doled out to the team holding the cashout across the total duration. Cashouts would still be the absolute prize above all else, but if you did manage to get, as you put it "6 good fights" then you also will walk away with 20% of the cash out value. You still lose but its something to maybe give you an edge going into the next cashouts. And cashouts can still act as a "comeback mechanic"

You already get money for kills, opening a vault and beginning a cashout, so why not a paltry sum given our in regular intervals to the holding team?

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 2, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Infidelicious posted:

There is a reason you score for doing things and not just holding the ball in most sports.

The only places where getting bonus cash for time held would effect the outcome are extremely closely fought games where you want the winner to be the one that actually won the primary objective(s).

IE: the current scoring system Erring on the side of the clutch steal instead of whoever got an early advantage and lost it is better because it is more interesting and more dynamic.

Again there isn't a soul alive who is asking for the payout at the end to be made insignificant, but the game already rewards players for beginning the vault, and inserting the vault into the cashout, so it's peculiar it also doesn't reward players for holding the cashout in possession, something that is arguably harder than both of those other mentioned actions. A paltry sum would barely change the dynamic of the game but it would make losing the cashout after holding it for 99% sting a little less.

And this is an incredibly common complaint. I'd bet my life they will add a small bonus to holding possession of the cashout, because it simply feels so incredibly bad when you do lose it after holding it for 99%.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

FastestGunAlive posted:

What are your thoughts on weapon balance? I played a few rounds as the medium and the AK seemed to win most my fights, there were a few guns that seemed completely outclassed every time

Yes the AK is incredibly strong. I am not sure I would call it OP. The only OP gun in the game currently is the silenced pistol on the light and it won't be too hard to bring that in line.

The flame thrower on the heavy is problematic because when paired with a mesh shield, its just obnoxious to play against. That plus how much it fucks up visibility makes it sort of un fun to play against.

The sniper is worthless and it rules, more games should have snipers that suck rear end. I hope they never buff it. Its fine as it is, but it will never be top tier and thats a good thing.

Overall weapon balance is, OK. Due to the nature of infinite ammo and how health/regen works, weapons with the most kill potential per single magazine will always be quite strong.

Oh and don't sleep on the knife with cloak.

Oh and they need to fix how recoil/iron sights work. THat is incredibly dumb.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

flamethrower just needs the visibility turn down, it should be annoying to play against its a flamethrower.

Yeah the question is, what is the counterplay to flamethrower + mesh shield?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

George H.W. oval office posted:

This game has some absolutely amazing moments where you clinch victory at the literal last second.

Its honestly one of the most swing-y games I've ever played and its great.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
They are decent counters but the problem is it relies on you having those and you can't counter pick items mid game.

So that combo is incredibly incredibly effective in almost every cash out point and the only counterplay is to constantly waste slots on equipment that is really only useful against a small handful of comps.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Endorph posted:

the sniper rifle seems really useless with the destructible environments and how aks/pistols dont have much bullet falloff either. you can countersnipe with your ak, or just use an rpg or c4 to blow up their perch. itd be one thing if snipers could bring a sidearm, but as is theyre basically screwed.

Good. Snipers suck in most games and I'm glad they're trash here. I'd way way way prefer they be undertuned than too strong.

Bear in mind the game is hitscan so the snipers are super easy to use so it's important they don't ohk anything but light to the head.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Infidelicious posted:

The worst part of queueing with 2 is invariably getting matched with someone playing a light sniper or melee that has the worst game sense or aim you've ever seen.

Hey, I'm not that bad...

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I think the AI voice announcers actually worked incredibly well. I never would have known if no one told me.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I think if no one talked about it being AI no one would have ever given it any thought.

It's leading this way eventually, all announcer type voice overs will soon be AI because it's a thousand times easier and cheaper to get them to say a million different and dynamic lines.

I imagine they'll eventually have the announcers voicing specific actions which is why players have auto generated "safe names".

Personally I think that's neat.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

i like it when people get paid money

You are going to hate the new unreal engine

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Other than the sledge hammer I believe no weapons destroy the environment which loving sucked

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Endorph posted:

the RPG definitely does

That's a gadget not a weapon

Maybe this is pedantic but I mean primary weapons that you can only ever carry one of and occupy your primary inventory slot.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Arzachel posted:

I didn't try it but double explosive mine might work for going through a wall. There's always propane tanks and explosive barrels though!

Explosive mines don't do destruction either. Neither does frag grenades.

Explosive barrels, sledgehammer, RPG, c4, heavy rush ability and breaching charge are the only thing that do destruction iirc

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Ah that might explain it. I would always test gadgets against walls and a single one would never do anything in its own .

Though I did use two full clips on the grenade launcher on a wall and it did nothing...

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I will die on the hill that the AI voices are actually pretty alright. Not speaking to the ethical side of it at all but hopefully it opens up a future for the game where the AI can get incredibly specific in terms of describing in game actions.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Seems like launch is imminent...

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Data miners have also found a korean ad for the game which states "Play now" and is set to be displayed on twitch today. So yup, we gettin the finals boys!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
What is raa?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Countblanc posted:

I haven't had a chance to play yet but I've seen a few people say that reduced movement speed. Hopefully that's not true - it was definitely tricky to fight really good Lights who had a good grasp of their tools but if that was the catalyst I'd rather they have adjusted their health or damage

Its not true. People just got reset to a default FOV. I've put some hours into it and its just as fast as ever. Balance changes feel good though flamethrowers still suck rear end to play against.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

apologies to my teammates for the next 50 matches, i need to grind damage with arena carriables

The throwable canisters that explode slap for this. Otherwise flammables/gas containers thrown on the cashout also help.

I'm struggling way way more with the grenade challenge.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Rip your drip

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

CuddleCryptid posted:

This game is fun from a gunplay aspect but it does commit a cardinal sin for an objective based shooter where it takes a long time for an objective phase to be completed but full credit goes to whoever is holding the objective at that time. So if you have an objective that takes 3 minutes to fill then it's functionally 30 seconds of actual objective based combat and 2:30 of loving around.

Yeah it has forever been a terribel design but people love to defend it.

I do agree that the cashout at the end should be worth a lot, but holding the cashout for 95% of the objective should be worth something

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Triggs posted:

Anybody playing this on a discord? My usual group of gaming buddies suck and won't give this game a try (yet)

I'm thinking about making a discord group if there isn't one yet specifically for goon finals players.

Edit: gently caress it, I'll update this as we go but use this for now: https://discord.gg/URmbfDccAX

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 10, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

If you have some defensive tools it's possible to firt up hard enough to gave an unbeatable defensive advantage. All you have to do is be hard enough to attack the the other teams spend their time killing each other.

You also don't need to defend the box itself so long as you can reach it in a pinch

Defensive strats only work sometimes, due to destructability and glitch grenades. Protip: Every light player should use glitch grenades.

edit: Been running into some pretty suspicious players tonight...

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 10, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

rpg works just fine for busting down walls

But what if I told you, you could become the RPG?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah I’ll have to check this out - is there a write up somewhere of how the modes differ?

Quick cash: 3v3v3, one round. The only thing that matters is getting the final cashout. First team to get two cashouts wins.

Bank it: 3v3v3v3, one round. Eliminations grant tokens, killing a player will have them drop a token (worth $1k) in addition to any other tokens they were carrying. Once you have obtained some tokens you have to take them to a cashout to deposit them. First team to deposit $40k (I think) wins.

Unranked Tournament: 3v3v3v3, upwards of three rounds. Similar to quick cash, however you receive $1k for beginning to open a vault, $3k for delivering a vault to a cashout, then however much the vault is worth when the cashout finishes if you are in control of it. I believe vaults start as 10k, and then as t he round progresses get more valuable by 5k every new vault that appears. You do not get unlimited spawns in this mode, and can only spawn 2 times (+1 every new round) unless your whole team is wiped in which case your whole team may spawn for free after a significant time penalty in addition to losing 20% of your teams net worth. The final round of the tournament is a 3v3 round with rules that mimic quick cash with the exception of still having limited spawns (but no cash penalty on team wipe).

Ranked Tournament: 3v3v3v3, upwards of four rounds. The same as unranked tournment except there are more teams in the initial bracket leading to more rounds, and there is no swapping of equipment from reserve during a match.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

comedyblissoption posted:

with the goo grenade, sprint forward while looking straight down when throwing and it will deploy the wall right behind you

really useful when retreating or making space

Full throw or light throw?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the throwing knives skin that is a pair of playing cards is pretty sick

doubt ill make it that far through the pass tho. no way im buying that unless i already have enough fake money unlocked that it pays for itself

The cosmetics in the battle pass are actually surprisingly good especially for the first battlepass. Whether you like BP is another thing all together but some of these rewards are sick as hell. I especialy like hte machine gun that is also a straight up roulette wheel or the sledgehammer which becomes a loving guitar lol

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah it's not a bad system and it certainly encourages use of the gadgets more than you would have in a normal shooter, I've just had "Switchin to your sidearm is fastah than reloadin'!" In 600 games so I empty my clip and go "oh gently caress that's right".

Embrace the fire grenade as a way to finish off someone who only has a speck of health left but you are out of ammo. A sort of grenade sidearm lol

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Jenny Agutter posted:

can the op edit this into the first post? or pick one of the existing discords to put in there

Yeah trying to make it as useful for people to join and use as possible but we need more people and putting it in the OP would be a huge help. Much easier to find groups when there is a big group to ping.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
There are a handful of balance issues I hope they sort out but nothing is too atrocious.

But mother of god do they need party size matchmaking.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Jenny Agutter posted:

Had my best round last night with a charge heavy with the hammer, I may be a convert

Full destruction heavy is my favorite: Hammer, RPG, C4, Charge.

However it really is less about how well you play and more about is the enemy team stupid, because any good players will just range you to death because they can always out sprint your melee. MELEE HEAVY NEEDS A BUFF!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a goon discord for this game? I'm having... mixed results with the pubstove.

Its slowly growing but having it in the OP would help a ton!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

P sure it gives you cash for kills

And you lose cash on death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I believe they can happen in quick cash and bank it but it's based on how much time is left in a match and those modes generally end before it can happen