Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I've been enjoying the poo poo out of the finals. I don't know much about the sweatier levels of competetive FPS but I like that you can stab people with a sword and blow up buildings. I was saying that you need exactly two friends to make the game fun but I've ever had some pretty decent rando matches lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

whaley posted:

doesn't seem like many people are aware of it but defibrillator revives with half health, regular revive revives with full health. seems like it happens pretty often that i get revived by someone carrying defibrillator and healing beam and they just go running off instead of healing me to full first

Yeah there's a couple things like that that aren't necessarily intuitive. Like the fact that you can pick up downed teammates and take them somewhere safe to revive them, which is often a good choice since people can leave C4 or mines where they fell

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

they can also put mines directly on them and then throw them at you

Their own teammates sure, I'm p sure you can't pick up enemy team members or I'd be yeeting more of them across the map.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Unhappy Meal posted:

Yeeting? Nah, hostage situation. Wouldn't do much in causal modes, but it would be the thing to do in tournament.

That's actually a pretty good idea for a game mode. Bank the corpses of your enemies

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I've had troubles actually getting mines on throwables to do anything. They don't seem to trigger correctly even when I directly hit people with a barrel

mines on things like chairs get scattered when the object crumbles and remain mines.

mines on explosive/gas/goo barrels go off when they hit a guy

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Seems like a known issue

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'm still of the camp that all the autoaim in the world isn't helping these dinguses play the point so if you can get even minimal buy-in from your pubby teammates you can usually swing in and steal a box at the last minute and win the game.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

GoldStandardConure posted:

Some of the most fun I have had in The Finals is playing as a dash-light with the sword and getting into duals with sledgehammer heavies. Its just really great fun trying to dash in and out slashing at the heavy while avoiding the sledgehammer.

Also the most fun is playing as sledgehammer heavy and obliterating lights.

This is true. The Call of Duty brain can't comprehend, but it is true.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Your one argument was that the announcers were too loud, which I don't think they are so I'm not sure what your point is here. The UI is conveying information properly when it comes to the essentials:
> Is someone capping a cashout/vault > there is both a visual and audio cue
> Has a team been wiped ? > there is a countdown timer on that team's icon now
> Are your teammates dead or alive ? > visual elements convey their status decently enough

The biggest mistake I can think of with regards to the announcers was doing a half measure with their AI processing.

They should have either not used AI at all and have the actors just record their lines as usual, or go full AI and have the lines be generated on the fly. (costlier, and with some jank, but more interesting than what we got). The current state of things is they sound weird and robotic but without the upside of having actually dynamic lines, it's the worst of both worlds.

As someone who has ever played with randos no, UI elements are not sufficient to explain those things and in fact there should be tactile force feedback where their monitor slaps them in the face every time someone starts stealing the cashout

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the real issue with the ai announcers is that if they don't have to pay voice actors, why don't we have like 30 team names and associated chatter

or multiple sets of announcers. different announcers for different arenas? battlepass team names.

i love the new tournament ui though, its fantastic

As someone who is colorblind, having team names to refer to the teams by instead of colors is nice.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I haven't really encountered people throwing bombs at me too often. I did notice that they nerfed the rocket launcher so that it can't kill lights in one hit anymore which seems bad. I get that dying in one hit is annoying but lights are also annoying so in fairness they should also remove lights from the game.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I find that one good solution for nukes is to play grenade launcher medium and just turn anyone holding the things into a greasy smear

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Relyssa posted:

Medium GL is fun until you run into a heavy, they take a lot of grenades to down.

My point exactly. They take, in fact, very few grenades to take down if they are currently carrying a barrel with C4 on it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I think the barrels having more durability than usual helps them feel more substantial gameplay-wise because otherwise people would definitely run through the map hitting every one they see with a bullet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

dogstile posted:

I actually kinda think that's the fix, really. It's not like the heavy doesn't already have enough "gently caress everyone in this general area" with the RPG.

They specifically nerfed that recently, though, right? It doesn't even kill lights in one hit anymore.