Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

More my question would be how well it works at long range, but also how aggressive the recoil compensation is.

I don't think there's any, or it's very weak if it's there. The guns in this feel like they kick all over the place compared to CoD and the like, and you definitely have to compensate with the right stick. Took me a bit to get used to after playing a lot of MW2, where you'd tune your guns to only have vertical recoil and then just hold down a touch on the stick to keep them perfectly on target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

solo queue is fine, you just have to let go of all expectations of little things like "teamwork" "competence" and "winning"

embrace the chaos

Yeah I just try to play as super support, whether with the heal beam + defib or the mesh shield + utterly demolishing defensive positions with liberal use of explosives. It is shocking how often pubbies will run out from behind my mesh shield and die though.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

For the heavy the Lewis is my go-to, I’ve tried the auto shotgun because people seem to love it but it’s micro reload every 4 shots has hosed me time and again so I’ve ditched it and not looked back.

Amen. The shotgun is amazing when you can just delete someone up close, but that 4 round re-rack gets me every time. I feel like it needs a more visible animation or something at least. Lewis gun all the way.

I haven't unlocked done shield yet but I love the mesh shield. It's really funny to stutter step anyone using a non-automatic weapon with it. It has a relatively short recovery on deactivation, so you can make people waste a lot of ammo while getting a few shots of your own in. It's great when you get by surprise.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I see a lot of people talking about blowing up the floor under the cashout to bring it down to you for the steal, but the real fun is inviting the cashout and the team attempting to steal it downstairs to meet your hammer.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah that suuuucks with the medium's model 1887.

Another point in the heavy's favor. Don't need to reload a hammer.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I guess I must have been unknowingly fighting the AA somehow, because I played a couple matches tonight and it feels way easier to hit my shots on controller than it did pre-patch. :iiam:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

withoutclass posted:

The default controller mapping sucks rear end. Big changes for me were swapping pickup/reload priority and using the modifier controller mapping. It's unbelievable how much better the modifier mapping is in terms of changing gadgets. I unbound the emote button too because I'd accidentally hit it regularly as I'm a spaz.

I tried the modifier mapping in the beta but found that I kept messing up the inputs during particularly frantic fights/escapes. D-pad switching makes you take your thumb off the stick, but is more consistent (for me, at least).

I'm continually futzing with my sensitivity settings and what not, particular since they've made some adjustments to AA. I've played enough CoD that I can generally manage hitting my shots while running a high enough sensitivity to turn quickly and have good movement, but there are definitely time when I'm somehow shooting an exact outline of my opponent. Honestly might be that I'm still trying to snap right to the head, which doesn't work as well with the recoil patterns in this game vs the laser beam guns in call of duty.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

withoutclass posted:

Yea taking my thumb off the movement was a no go for me.

What do you have jump bound to then? The other thing that pushed me toward the d-pad setup is that it lets me keep jump on the left bumper. Been using bumper jumper in console fps games too long to change now.

I guess I could rebind the modifier to a face button and put it on a paddle, but then I'm already using this for slide and ping.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Triggs posted:

I'm getting tired of the 'do damage with an area carriable' challenge because its always easiest to accomplish with a nuke. The variation in the daily challenges sucks and I'm almost always beating my head against the wall in solo queue trying to get a win through a roll of the dice of brain dead pubbies.

Does that work? That one seems so finnicky about whether you actually beaned them with the canister or damaged them with the resulting explosion/gas/whatever.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

New game mode is a fun change of pace. Seems like it lets (good) Lights shine a little more than the launch modes since you need some kind of counter to enemies camping on roofs above the sled's route.

Skeet shooting with the gravity cube + slug shotgun is pretty fun, also.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Snipers seem good for harassing respawns and reinforcements when you do get a team off the boat too. Forcing someone charging at it to waste time taking cover or hunting for the Light can be pretty impactful.

They're also really helpful for finishing the "Kill 5 enemies with quick melee" challenge. I think at least 4 of mine were via creeping up on a Light standing on a roof and doing the gears of war two-piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Especially funny to drop that as the same time as the new mode, where there are no cashouts.

Terminal Attack seems pretty fun, though obviously extremely dependent on your team. First round I played, my entire team was Lights who clearly had no idea what was going on. We started on defense, and every round they would rush one point and barricade themselves in the room, leaving the other team free to upload and dig in at the second point.