Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

google THIS

tbh this illustration looks like Fred has become some kind of tentacled leviathan emerging from the depths to consume Barney. I'd be levitating and vibrating too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
fred is casting dark shadow magic

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

When do the bananas show up?

google THIS

Real Flintstones: The "computer" is a room full of stone boxes. Inside each is a tiny grumpy pterodactyl working a bunch of stone abacuses while walking on a wooden treadmill that makes the stone tape reels spin

Eliasverse: Pterodactyls are flightless, and covered in fur

BoldFrankensteinMir

Okay. So, Bedrock has a 'municipal computer' in its own devoted building that the mayor and the town council built themselves. Computers are just, things, that exist, so much so that there are books at the library about them.

Oh, so, Bedrock has a 'library' in its own devoted building too. Books are just, things, that exist, and Fred knows how to go look up enough in basic tutorials to barely make it do what he wants (pro tip there Fred) using switches and plugs.

Oh, so, switches and plugs are things, as is electricity, as is a Bedrock municipality that manages itself using computer-aided... siiiiiiiiiiiiigh... so, Fred and Barney sneak into the computer building...

"Around the walls were banks and rows of all the things that made up the computer" is a passage that truly reveals how little Elias knows or cares what is happening. If I wrote that Fred and Barney walked into an umbrella store and "around the walls were shelves and rows of all the things that make up an umbrella store" you'd be correct to assume I was hiding a deep lack of understanding as to what umbrellas actually are. Though you could at least be glad nobody was getting banged with them.

Fred is right about one thing though, there's no going home now. We are trapped inside a half-football-field-sized Flintstones computer, get ready to meet the chompy-turtle-lawnmower man.

Fred spent all day diligently studying and his first move is to overclock the Bedrock municipal computer, that's my hopeful bent on this and I'm sticking with it!

Also, backtracking a little, as much as 'Egbert Input' is another not-at-all-Flintstonesy name I still hope they're an actual character and not just a passing joke, because loving that opportunity up as an aside is somehow even worse. Come on man, name the character Beverly Braincoral or Willy Lodestone or something. Show us you're trying at all.

BARNEY grabbed the card and read it, dammit! The artist is paying enough attention to get "thwup" right but at this point I have to guess they don't know which caveman is Fred and which one is Barney. I don't even think it matters anymore.

The computer is sassy which checks out. Imagine all the decades this book existed with boring not-sassy computers that couldn't insult your questions and give you answers that aren't helpful, and young readers scoffing that such a thing could ever be. The future is a wonderful place, Flintstones fans. Full of relentless, exhausting, truly unpleasant wonder.

Fred does have statistics-aided decision making down, just gently caress with the methodology until it gives you the answer you wanted in the first place! He has a bright future in political science. Nate Silver is a perfectly functional Flintstones name, come to think of it...

Peanuthead! Blankety-blank! Horses! Fred and Barney are talking in tongues now as they aimlessly undo all of poor Egbert Input's work on the patch board. Though I used to work a patch board and I'll tell you, if any configuration causes shorting like that, it's not you guys, it's engineering's fault. Submit a ticket and go to lunch, that's my advice. Technology!

I unironically adore the art on these two pages, I think we should reproduce them as a diptych and hang it outside the United Nations Security Council Chamber just like Guernica. Every time a world leader has to consider the ramifications of building AI killbots I want Fred Flinstone and his oblivious ease of smiling destruction there, to dance in their mind like Shiva doing the Rudra Tandava. A cartoon caveman smiling dumbly as the wiring of the world melts. Deep.

Sig by Heather Papps

baka of lathspell

huge fan of the "read a few pages, press a button" philosophy of computer touching

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

alnilam

Very similar conception of computers as the willy wonka "I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do with a lifetime supply of chocolate"one

ty manifisto

EorayMel

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Is the computer about to go bananas?!?!?!?

:suspense:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

google THIS

*pulls up my BYOB fan fiction, inspired*

"Around the thread were all the components that make up a funny post."

Finger Prince

google THIS posted:

*pulls up my BYOB fan fiction, inspired*

"Around the thread were all the components that make up a funny post."

You're not wrong there, bub

EorayMel

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
OP does the computer actually go bananas? I want to know more :ohdear:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cruft

maybe OP's computer went bananas!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Sorry for the delay friends, I had an asteroid's worth of work hit me at my job and it killed all the fun-asauruses in my life deader than hell for a bit. The thread will resume ASAP, thanks for your patience!

Sig by Heather Papps

cruft

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Sorry for the delay friends, I had an asteroid's worth of work hit me at my job and it killed all the fun-asauruses in my life deader than hell for a bit. The thread will resume ASAP, thanks for your patience!

Did the asteroid alter the functioning of your computer, perchance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

...mayhap let it go bananas?

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot