Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

time change coming up, so if you are responsible for a public clock dont forget to set it this weekend. nothing grinds my gears more than when a public clock is wrong. its like "listen here clock you have one job get your poo poo together"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
i thought time change got banned by the feds last year

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

at work some dork in charge of incident response sent out a big announcement about this

Op are you that dork

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

FirstnameLastname posted:

biden refused to sign the bill. said hes keeping the daylight for himself.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
loving losing 1 hour of sleep bullshit.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

numberoneposter posted:

biden refused to sign the bill. said hes keeping the daylight for himself.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senators-reintroduce-bill-make-daylight-saving-time-permanent-2023-03-02/

"But the bill failed to get a vote last year in the U.S. House of Representatives because lawmakers could not agree on whether to keep standard time or permanent daylight saving time, said Representative Frank Pallone."

lmao

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

FirstnameLastname posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/03/15/senate-daylight-saving-permanent/

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/sen-rubio-renews-push-make-daylight-saving-time-permanent-rcna73183

quote:

The country most recently experimented with permanent daylight saving in 1974, but that ended less than a year later, after eight Florida children died in traffic accidents attributed to the change.
A few Florida children were staring at clocks confusedly and got hit by trucks, so we all have to suffer an hour's loss of sleep this week.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
The clock in the surgery suite at work never got changed in the fall so at this point it's easier just to wait till the time changes again!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

As a clueless outsider who's never used DST, what is the point of it? Like, springing forward an hour would give you more sunlight?

gently caress that, I would want less sunlight and more darkness in the morning :drac:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My motorcycle clock will be correct.
My car clock will be incorrect.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't believe in the clocks, time isn't even a thing

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senators-reintroduce-bill-make-daylight-saving-time-permanent-2023-03-02/

"But the bill failed to get a vote last year in the U.S. House of Representatives because lawmakers could not agree on whether to keep standard time or permanent daylight saving time, said Representative Frank Pallone."

lmao

Well I feel like a dumbshit. I’ve been telling my friends and family that this Spring Forward will be the last one :downs:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

You Are A Elf posted:

As a clueless outsider who's never used DST, what is the point of it? Like, springing forward an hour would give you more sunlight?

its from world war one. we were trying to confuse the hun.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

You Are A Elf posted:

gently caress that, I would want less sunlight and more darkness in the morning :drac:

idk something to do with farmers

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i guess i could pretend to give a gently caress, if that's what you really want

e: voted 2

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

dee eight posted:

i guess i could pretend to give a gently caress, if that's what you really want

e: voted 2
Have fun showing up an hour late for all your appointments!!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

You Are A Elf posted:

It's a relic from the days before electric lights, when having more of the work day happen during daylight was a genuine boon. It serves no legitimate purpose anymore.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I like it cause the sun is still out so late in the summer.

I think there is a state where the time change makes it so it's still light out super late.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don't believe in the clocks, time isn't even a thing

this

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I like when the clock says 8:30 pm but the sun still says "hey".

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

it doesn't change til the 26th here. i will be annoyed that i have to figure out how to change the clock in my car again

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

numberoneposter posted:

Have fun showing up an hour late for all your appointments!!

ur mom can wait a little while

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

:argh:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
he got you you fucker

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

it doesn't change til the 26th here. i will be annoyed that i have to figure out how to change the clock in my car again

you go to the settings and look for time and date op

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's a relic from the days before electric lights, when having more of the work day happen during daylight was a genuine boon. It serves no legitimate purpose anymore.

:tipshat:

What I love about having never used DST is that during winter, the sun goes down around 5:30 pm and doesn't rise until around 7 am the following morning. I loving love the winter because of that. Dark mornings own.

Now the sun is creeping over those eastern mountains earlier and earlier as we move into spring :(

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
dick sucking time

9-5

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Peggy Edson posted:

you go to the settings and look for time and date op

my car is old and poo poo so it's some dumb hold down three buttons for 5 seconds, then use the volume knob to change it or some boring annoying poo poo like that

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Be ungovernable

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

You Are A Elf posted:

You’re thinking about it the wrong way. Daylight Savings Time continues to exist in the USA because DST results in consumers spending more money. Business has lobbied hard to keep it this way since the 1930’s.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
I live in Arizona which rightfully ignores all time change nonsense but I work for a Californian company so I have to be at work an hour early next week it's bullshit!!!

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

we should go by swatch internet time it seems way simpler

quote:

Instead of hours and minutes, the mean solar day is divided into 1,000 parts called .beats. Each .beat is equal to one decimal minute in the French Revolutionary decimal time system and lasts 1 minute and 26.4 seconds (86.4 seconds) in standard time. Times are notated as a 3-digit number out of 1,000 after midnight. So, for example, @248 would indicate a time 248 .beats after midnight, representing 248⁄1000 of a day, just over 5 hours and 57 minutes.

There are no time zones in Swatch Internet Time; instead, it is globally based on what is conventionally known as Central European Time, West Africa Time, and UTC+1, which is the time zone in which Swatch's headquarters in Biel, Switzerland, is located; Swatch calls this "Biel Mean Time" (BMT), despite the fact that it is not actually mean solar time as measured in Biel. Unlike civil time in Switzerland and many other countries, Swatch Internet Time does not observe daylight saving time.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ibexaz posted:

I live in Arizona which rightfully ignores all time change nonsense but I work for a Californian company so I have to be at work an hour early next week it's bullshit!!!

Hah I got the opposite. Live in AZ, work on the east coast. I can more or less stop paying attention to email/chat at 2pm now instead of 3pm

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Daylight savings is good and the people who want to get rid of it don't actually know what they're asking for. It's like the people who voted for Brexit and are now saying "this isn't what we voted for!". It is, actually.

Edit: case in point:

You Are A Elf posted:

:tipshat:

What I love about having never used DST is that during winter, the sun goes down around 5:30 pm and doesn't rise until around 7 am the following morning. I loving love the winter because of that. Dark mornings own.

Now the sun is creeping over those eastern mountains earlier and earlier as we move into spring :(

Winter is standard time, not daylight savings time. Daylight savings time starts in the spring to shift that early morning sun to the evening, so instead of the sun coming up at 4am and setting at 8pm in the summer, it actually comes up at a decent hour and you get that extra hour of daylight when you actually want it.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 9, 2023

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

we should go by swatch internet time it seems way simpler

i don't think a .beats tracking watch could keep up with me

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

stratdax posted:

Daylight savings is good and the people who want to get rid of it don't actually know what they're asking for. It's like the people who voted for Brexit and are now saying "this isn't what we voted for!". It is, actually.

Stfu, I'm going to stretch your mind and body across time space

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

stratdax posted:

Explain yourself

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

Explain yourself

Check my edit. You want the sun to come up at 4:30am and set at 8:30pm in the summer? Or would you rather it come up at 5:30 and get an nice long summer evening, instead.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
wait a minute do we want to get rid of daylight savings time or do we want to stay in daylight savings time forever? Which is better I';m not good at figuring these kind of things out. I'm lucky to remember "spring forward, fall back" and I have to repeat it to myself every time I think about daylight savings time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Dixville posted:

wait a minute do we want to get rid of daylight savings time or do we want to stay in daylight savings time forever? Which is better I';m not good at figuring these kind of things out. I'm lucky to remember "spring forward, fall back" and I have to repeat it to myself every time I think about daylight savings time.
light out later = better