Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Could you just not follow it? Show up to everything an hour late and just shrug helplessly and act offended when people tell you your appointment was cancelled for a no show?

Is there an actual law requiring you to follow it? Can you be a conscientious objector? Maybe organize civil disobedience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

stratdax posted:

Check my edit. You want the sun to come up at 4:30am and set at 8:30pm in the summer? Or would you rather it come up at 5:30 and get an nice long summer evening, instead.

I don't loving care at all, I guess? I just want it to always be the same.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

numberoneposter posted:

light out later = better

:yeah:

at some points of the year it gets dark at like 15:30 - 16:00 and it suuuuuucks

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

I don't loving care at all, I guess? I just want it to always be the same.

Some people like leaving their house and doing things, I suppose. Most especially in the summer.

Edit: or by want it to be the same you mean you want the sun to rise and set at the same time every day, year round. If that's the case, move to a country on the equator.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

what if the time changed daily at like noon or something and then back again at midnight.

so we still get light early and light later.

its win win.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Try doing things at night, its fun

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

like crime :sickos:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

stratdax posted:

Some people like leaving their house and doing things, I suppose. Most especially in the summer.

Ok, so go out and do things. The number that's applied to the time of day doesn't stop you.

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

Hollismason posted:

loving losing 1 hour of sleep bullshit.

Can't lose one hour of sleep if you sleep in.

We're only here to un-do the damage you've done to our family name.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I live in the desert, this is the only time we can do things in the summer. Let us have the longer night darkness please

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

YourFamily posted:

Can't lose one hour of sleep if you sleep in.

yeah then you just lose an hour of your day

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

Peggy Edson posted:

yeah then you just lose an hour of your day

That never bothered me, it was one day out of the year where it happened. The extra sunlight is all I cared about.

We're only here to un-do the damage you've done to our family name.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

Ok, so go out and do things. The number that's applied to the time of day doesn't stop you.

Luv 2 play baseball or mountain bike in the dark. Makes it exciting. Or have beach evenings an hour shorter.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

stratdax posted:

Luv 2 play baseball or mountain bike in the dark. Makes it exciting. Or have beach evenings an hour shorter.

Do you seriously think there are no baseball/softball leagues that play at night on lit fields

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

stratdax posted:

What if, instead of changing the clock, you changed when you went out and did things?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I want whatever stops the sun from setting at 4pm in the winter. I don’t need it to be sunny at 9pm in the summer, and I don’t need it to be light out at 5 am in the winter.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

stratdax posted:

Go out earlier. Jesus loving christ how stupid are you

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

When I was in prison, the Saturday/Sunday the clocks went back was my absolute favourite day because it was an hour of hard time that I didn't have to do. I was so delighted I beat my cellie nearly to death with a padlock in a sock, though technically his suffering would've continued for another hour if the time didn't change, so he probably liked that day too deep down.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do you seriously think there are no baseball/softball leagues that play at night on lit fields

Do you seriously think every baseball field is lit? It's just an example.

Devils Affricate posted:

Go out earlier. Jesus loving christ how stupid are you

People have jobs with regular work hours. That's the entire loving point. People can't do things earlier, so daylight savings allows them to do daylight type things later.

Maybe head out one evening in the summer and take a look at how many people are taking advantage of the longer evening, provided to them by glorious daylight savings.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

cant play baseball in the sun in the middle of january?? quit your job, idiot.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

stratdax posted:

Do you seriously think every baseball field is lit? It's just an example.

Its a pretty poor example. They are called city leagues. It is easy to sign up. You too can play on a lit baseball field, its not some exotic event.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

I only play baseball in the dark because it's way easier to cop a feel that way. Those juicy rumps!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The sun's too hot for baseball, you can't play in it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

You can also have fun at a batting cage...get this... AT NIGHT

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It's easy to have fun at night with outdoor sports. All you need to do is be interested in the same lame sports, live in an area that has those facilities, have a job that has flexible work hours, and enjoy doing daytime things at night! Easy peasy bingo bongo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

stratdax posted:

People have jobs with regular work hours. That's the entire loving point. People can't do things earlier, so daylight savings allows them to do daylight type things later.

That sounds like a problem between those people and their employers, not something between me and my microwave. Companies can shift work hours forward or back if it's really that much of an issue. Not to mention this is effectively what they're already doing, the number just doesn't change on paper. This is so, so, so much easier than expecting everyone in the country to gently caress with all of their time keeping electronics twice a year.

Are you the type of person who always wears a jacket in winter even if it's 75 degrees out, just because it's winter and in winter people should wear jackets?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

satanic splash-back posted:

It's easy to have fun at night with outdoor sports. All you need to do is be interested in the same lame sports, live in an area that has those facilities, have a job that has flexible work hours, and enjoy doing daytime things at night! Easy peasy bingo bongo

Most of these problems are also applicable to daytime outdoor sports...

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
night is for watersports

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lol if you don't get so blackout drunk every night that you don't even notice the times changed

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i'm posting from the mcmurdough station starbucks wifi. none of this makes any difference to me

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Remember the mnemonic: Spring forward, Fall into a deep, overwhelming depression!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

Could you just not follow it? Show up to everything an hour late and just shrug helplessly and act offended when people tell you your appointment was cancelled for a no show?

Is there an actual law requiring you to follow it? Can you be a conscientious objector? Maybe organize civil disobedience?

Found the sovereign citizen

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Dixville posted:

I live in the desert, this is the only time we can do things in the summer. Let us have the longer night darkness please

Me too, and this is what I was talking about. Me on an average summer day in the Sonoran desert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4igSY6kDPc

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I have a great idea to keep all the clocks in sync. I was imagining if only there was some kind of invisible magic aura that all the clocks could detect. That is of course fantasy, but what if a smell could be released, that all the clocks would detect, and they’d know to change times. It could even be a really bad smell, but outside human smell range.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I'm sick of these countryist, statist and hemispherist thread titles and posts. Here in Australia, for instance, we autumn back rather than 'spring forward' in April. Not easy to do at 2AM when you're standing on your head, I assure you. And it's not a painless transiition for those of us who are nightowls, for that matter.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 11, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

time change coming up, so if you are responsible for a public clock dont forget to set it this weekend. nothing grinds my gears more than when a public clock is wrong. its like "listen here clock you have one job get your poo poo together"

when does that happen? I have told the last three employers I had I don't work on sunday

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Remember, you'll have to lift the elephant's balls an hour earlier.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

Remember, you'll have to lift the elephant's balls an hour earlier.

:hmmyes:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

BigBadSteve posted:

I'm sick of these countryist, statist and hemispherist thread titles and posts. Here in Australia, for instance, we autumn back rather than 'spring forward' in April. Not easy to do at 2AM when you're standing on your head, I assure you. And it's not a painless transiition for those of us who are nightowls, for that matter.
if you are in australia you have bigger problems to worry about than the time buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

like what do you call em

australian rednecks

and huge spiders, deer that walk on two feet, so hot you always have a perishing thirst, probably all the same colonial government problems canada has except with a funny accent

however id be curious about where you land on the metric system cause canada only went halfway and so we have to use pounds, liters, ounces, feet, meters, and the kings dick for our units of measurement

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 11, 2023