Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

its all nice on rice posted:

My motorcycle clock will be correct.
My car clock will be incorrect.

jay leno over here has a clock on his motorcycle :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Both BC and Ontario are waiting on the states on the same time zones to get rid of it so hurry up you loving clowns.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Let's all just split the difference move the clocks forward a half hour and never touch them again.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Let's all just split the difference move the clocks forward a half hour and never touch them again.

And be like Newfoundland?! No way bud!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

That sounds like a problem between those people and their employers, not something between me and my microwave.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Well I feel like a dumbshit. I’ve been telling my friends and family that this Spring Forward will be the last one :downs:

You and me both. My wife corrected me about it a few months back and I went into a rage. It was the one thing everyone agreed on, and I was happy as gently caress we'd move forward and leave us with more sunlight forever with this Sunday being the last time we'd ever have to touch our clocks.

Then they never finished passing it. Of loving course they didn't.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The bill got reintroduced this week and it's getting support this time

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Peggy Edson posted:

The bill got reintroduced this week and it's getting support this time

Yeah heard student loan debt relief is about to go through too

naem
May 29, 2011

are we all dead yet

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

naem posted:

are we all dead yet

we'll be an extra hour closer to death tomorrow!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wifi Toilet posted:

we'll be an extra hour closer to death tomorrow!

I knew daylight savings was good for something

Indiana
Feb 28, 2003
We named the dog Indiana!
I am getting up at 3am for work as usual. Fucken WA state ( usa) get your act together.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Indiana posted:

I am getting up at 3am for work as usual. Fucken WA state ( usa) get your act together.

we called the dog Indiana

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
or
Another state heard from

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

Yeah heard student loan debt relief is about to go through too

Can’t believe it’s 2025 already!

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You can also have fun at a batting cage...get this... AT NIGHT

you sick gently caress

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
It's daylight saving time, not daylight savings time.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

redreader posted:

Is this like the berenstain bears thing

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dick Fontaine posted:

You’re thinking about it the wrong way. Daylight Savings Time continues to exist in the USA because DST results in consumers spending more money. Business has lobbied hard to keep it this way since the 1930’s.

Part of the reason Daylight Saving Time got extended in 2007 is because candy companies lobbied congress to get it pushed back to Halloween to increase their profits, because more daylight equals more time for trick-or-treating.

Energy companies love it too because people use more energy during DST, even though the original intent behind it was to save energy.

"NBC News posted:

The U.S. first adopted daylight saving time in 1918 to save oil and electricity during World War I. But now, it isn’t associated with energy savings.

A 2011 study found that it cost Indiana households an extra $9 million per year in electricity bills because they spent more on heating and cooling, even though people used lights less often.

“The real reason for why this policy came to be and we first started using it was because of energy, and right now it’s a completely open question about whether or not it saves energy,” said Matthew Kotchen, an economics professor at Yale University who conducted the research.

What's funny is that right now, most of the US actually gets LESS daylight during the extended DST than they get during standard time the rest of the year.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

under the daylight savings act the government pays out the banked daylight when you reach your twilight years

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Standard time rules

Daylight savings drools

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I. M. Gei posted:

candy companies lobbied congress

they have their own seat in congress https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Desk

Big Candy runs the whole thing!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Saalkin posted:

loving clowns.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Just „fall back“ also in spring! Another extra hour of sleep, I know you want it too politicians!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Neco posted:

Just „fall back“ also in spring! Another extra hour of sleep, I know you want it too politicians!
I like this idea but I think we can build off it. Keep falling back, just keep reversing the time. We will all get an extra hour of sleep every 6 months.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Dixville posted:

Is this like the berenstain bears thing

I suppose.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

You don't save money so it's not a savings

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Neco posted:

We could fall back once a year every year. Just eventually have a wild decade where everyone just does poo poo at night and hides from the sun. :drac:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

lo carb Lo Pan posted:

We could fall back once a year every year. Just eventually have a wild decade where everyone just does poo poo at night and hides from the sun. :drac:

u don’t need a clock to do that

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

lo carb Lo Pan posted:

Yeah that‘s exactly what I meant. Change things up! Live a little! (In darkness)

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

redreader posted:

Thank you. Also, I don't care which one the government sticks with, I just don't want to have to deal with the change over twice a year. Or even worse, having to pedantically call people out when they use "EST" during EDT.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im going to kill whoever invented daylight savings time, give me their name

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Something is suddenly wrong with the sunlight in my area. My theory is the sun lost speed, making it brighter during the evening. Soon night and day will swap places.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
It was too dang dark this morning.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

It was too dang dark this morning.

Just get up an hour later

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

First customer of the goddamned day. “You’re here early. Haw haw haw haw haw!”

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I never reset my car clock because it's annoying and now it's right again. I've beat the system

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
its still light out after 7pm i love this poo poo

naem
May 29, 2011

we should just pick one

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

naem posted:

we should just pick one

Permanent DST in the US was briefly enacted by president Richard Nixon in January 1974, in response to the 1973 oil crisis.[18] The new permanent DST law was retracted within the year.[1][2][37][38] Year-round daylight saving time was initially supported by 79% of the public, but that support had dropped to 42% after its first winter.[39]

Once again, people have no idea what they actually want!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

stratdax posted:

Permanent DST in the US was briefly enacted by president Richard Nixon in January 1974, in response to the 1973 oil crisis.[18] The new permanent DST law was retracted within the year.[1][2][37][38] Year-round daylight saving time was initially supported by 79% of the public, but that support had dropped to 42% after its first winter.[39]

Once again, people have no idea what they actually want!!

We just know we want the opposite of whatever we have now.