Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I remember liking tamborine but I felt like he missed the mark on this one. The abortion thing went on way too long and wasn't funny and the whole Will Smith thing was just kinda sad. I did like his take on the Kardashians though. All in all, pretty forgettable imo but not like horrendously bad or anything. I thought it was interesting that Netflix first aired it live. I guess it's the only live show they've done. Are we coming full circle with streaming and it's going back to everyone watching stuff at the same time like ye olde television days? I think that could be kinda cool actually. I miss the water cooler talk. Like you can talk to people about the same show but it's not the same as watching it at the same time, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

No I don’t hate myself that much (yet, at least)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
No op. But my wife likes stand up so I’ll probably see it at some point.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I saw it playing on a tv for a minute, he was talking about how much money he made from Netflix and then said that he only dates young women because they’re cheaper

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
more like the new Chris rock conventional

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
After he made the "woke people tweeting from an iPhone" comment I turned it off. The rest of the special could have been incredible but I just couldn't handle the possibility of another comedian I like just doing mid-rear end poo poo for a quick payout. I can go to Facebook 10 years ago for those "jokes".

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
He dropped his microphone on the stage when he was done.

Those things ain't exactly cheap ya know...

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Gotta say, I liked the one where one type of black people do this thing and another type of black people do that thing. Can't wait to try that one out at the water cooler tomorrow! :allears:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Rhris Cock

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the only stand up comedy i watch is billy connolly or eddie izzard OP sorry

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit

Ziv Zulander posted:

I saw it playing on a tv for a minute, he was talking about how much money he made from Netflix and then said that he only dates young women because they’re cheaper
He admitted to being a trick? Now that's good tv

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Heard it was some tired rear end junk

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
With his age I'd think he'd tone down the "Chris Rock" voice affect a little bit, but it's as strong as ever. The 30 seconds I saw of it, him doing the same kind of voice felt pretty played out

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
It had its moments but was a bit uneven. Definitely not the young Chris Rock. Still, it was funny enough to watch for an hour.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I find comedy highly offensive and I think it should be outlawed.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Did he have any new cooking tips, the last one left me with a bad taste in my mouth

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
It is very rare that rich people are funny. A requirement is depression and some sort of struggle. Complaining about your butler and the woke poor people isn’t funny

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I like watching Steve Hofstetter dunk on hecklers.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

got bored after like 10 minutes, so vanilla

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I agree with you pretty much 100%, OP. It wasn't great, but I didn't hate it.

Jim Jeffries' latest contribution was much worse, as a comedian I used to enjoy.

Aging comedians definitely have this problem where they think it's more important to be controversial than funny.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I like watching Steve Hofstetter dunk on hecklers.
Yes.

neato burrito posted:

I'm way more excited for the new Kyle Kinane special that's about to drop.
Yes.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I'm way more excited for the new Kyle Kinane special that's about to drop.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Anybody else tired of all the woke people on Twitter and cancel culture :jerkbag:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Jelly posted:

Aging comedians definitely have this problem where they think it's more important to be controversial than funny.

They're truth-tellers, man. Modern day philosophers. Maybe someone should put caution tape across Chris rock's mouth on the cover of his special!!

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit
Chris Rock is a product, can't really expect him to be funny. He's ultimately after the Disney+ bag.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jelly posted:

Jim Jeffries' latest contribution was much worse, as a comedian I used to enjoy.

drat, that sucks. I like when he completely blew Jordan Peterson's mind and make him do an instant 180 about not selling gay people cakes.

Timestamped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO9j1SLxEd0&t=271s

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Chris Rock's best work was in CB4

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

that g ova there posted:

Chris Rock is a product, can't really expect him to be funny. He's ultimately after the Disney+ bag.
Post / avatar combo?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Konar posted:

With his age I'd think he'd tone down the "Chris Rock" voice affect a little bit, but it's as strong as ever. The 30 seconds I saw of it, him doing the same kind of voice felt pretty played out
I can't remember if I'm making this up but I know I saw something and if it wasn't about him, it was about another comedian.

Something about how when they got started their delivery wasn't emphatic/unique enough and after someone brought it to his attention they changed it up and the following result was one of their most iconic comedy specials.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Jelly posted:

I can't remember if I'm making this up but I know I saw something and if it wasn't about him, it was about another comedian.

Something about how when they got started their delivery wasn't emphatic/unique enough and after someone brought it to his attention they changed it up and the following result was one of their most iconic comedy specials.

Oh you're thinking of Gallagher and when he first tried the hammer on tv

(Rip)

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Smugworth posted:

(Rip)
It's a good thing because those knock knock jokes were not working.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

nobody got time for that bullshit

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Smugworth posted:

(Rip)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

he is too rich and too old he should gently caress off if he can't be funny anymore

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

nobody got time for that bullshit

Honestly I probably should have used the hour doing something more interesting but it came up on the recommends and the bf and I were like eh, might as well.

So anybody know who is still good out there in the comedy world? Like funny and not a horrible person I haven't watched much standup

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Dixville posted:

Honestly I probably should have used the hour doing something more interesting but it came up on the recommends and the bf and I were like eh, might as well.

So anybody know who is still good out there in the comedy world? Like funny and not a horrible person I haven't watched much standup

The aforementioned Kyle Kinane (Whiskey Icarus and I Liked His Old Stuff Better specifically)

John Mulaney (The Top Part and New In Town)

Patton Oswalt (Feelin' Kinda Patton, Werewolves and Lollipops , My Weakness Is Strong, Finest Hour)

David Cross (Shut Up You loving Baby, It's Not Funny)

Shane Torres (Established 1981)

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

the only stand up comedy i watch is billy connolly or eddie izzard OP sorry

Dress to Kill is the loving best

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I hear Nick Mullen is a nice young comedian.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jizz Cock

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I hear Nick Mullen is a nice young comedian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Nah.