Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Smugworth posted:

Chris Rock's best work was in CB4
new jack city
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2tPyGJStQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Dixville posted:

So anybody know who is still good out there in the comedy world? Like funny and not a horrible person I haven't watched much standup
Hannah Gadsby has a bit in her special
“Douglas” that made my wife and I laugh about as hard as we’ve laughed in our adult lives.

Also,

homewrecker posted:

Dress to Kill is the loving best

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Chris rock did exactly one good thing, and it was his documentary about black womens hair

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
chris rock looks like the guy from coming to america advertising soul glo and i can't unsee it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I saw this movie as a kid with my older brother and his friends sometime after it came out and this is literally the only scene I remember.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Ziv Zulander posted:

Chris rock did exactly one good thing, and it was his documentary about black womens hair

Bigger and Blacker is an all-time classic dude wth!!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Dixville posted:

So anybody know who is still good out there in the comedy world? Like funny and not a horrible person I haven't watched much standup
Taylor Tomlinson is excellent.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCgq3iNzLKc

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I watched the first 5 minutes.

Who was the first comedian to do the ridiculous "rock star" entrance to the show on their specials? I genuinely can't tell if it's supposed to be serious or a parody. They're comedians ffs.
Anyways 4+ minute opening monologue on wokeness. No thanks grandpa.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Jelly posted:

Taylor Tomlinson is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW8jny6_724

This is horrible

Stand up is basically dead and surprisingly Dave Chappelle was the undertaker of comedy the whole time

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Toxic Mental posted:

Dave Chappelle was the undertaker of comedy
looking forward to "The Kanes of Comedy"

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Toxic Mental posted:

Stand up is basically dead

Nah.

Lots of good poo poo out there, just stay away from famous established comics.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

neato burrito posted:

Nah.

The last funny joke I heard a standup do was the "trans people get to have cute feet" guy making fun of Dave Chappelle being a weird rear end mofo. I can't really remember anything else. Give me a reco

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Kurt Metzger hasn't released a special/album in a while but this track is loving killer. Both of his albums are mandatory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBKglsn8-Yw

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW8jny6_724

This is horrible

Stand up is basically dead and surprisingly Dave Chappelle was the undertaker of comedy the whole time
Sorry about your horrible taste.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jelly posted:

Sorry about your horrible taste.

Yeah that was pretty bad.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

That was more of a commentary on the "stand-up is dead" than not liking the comedian I'm stanning for

You can definitely comment on the decline of the one-hour special, but you'd have to hate everything to suggest stand-up is dead

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I can only imagine. There’s nothing worse than bad stand up especially if you have to actually sit through it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I liked it, dude hasn't missed a beat aside from the one Will Smith gave him.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

In the special Chris Rock says he has never took off his shirt for a movie but that isn’t true because he does a nude scene in Dogma.

He was dishonest with us like he was dishonest his wife

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

neato burrito posted:

Nah.

I dunno, I’ve laughed at a lot of cherry-picked Bill Burr bits

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Its funny when out of touch millionaires try and relate to normal humans via their now outdated and disconnected craft, and all they have is lovely old people grievances.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Piss Cock

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Jelly posted:

That was more of a commentary on the "stand-up is dead" than not liking the comedian I'm stanning for

You can definitely comment on the decline of the one-hour special, but you'd have to hate everything to suggest stand-up is dead

Todd Barry's Spicy Honey was brilliant.

Wyatt Cenac's special was pretty good (not very recent)

Shane Gillis' live special he did on YouTube was hilarious.

Good hours are hard to come by, though.

Rock hasn't been funny in ages and looks so worked on, now. He's old, though.

Club style comedy is really where it's at.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
My friend had it on and I dropped in just in time to catch 15 minutes of alternating bragging about his daughters and misogynistic "jokes"

It's bad OP

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The best standup is all goon-made and home grown anyways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e9Pb0lQSfg

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

I'm not saying stand up comedy is dead if that's your issue.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Stand up comedy died with norm macdonald as far as I am concerned and I shan't willfully ever listen to another joke

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Piss Creep posted:

I'm not saying stand up comedy is dead if that's your issue.

Lol

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Smugworth posted:

Stand up comedy died with norm macdonald as far as I am concerned and I shan't willfully ever listen to another joke

You should try telling a few once in awhile, old smuggy boy.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Smugworth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCUwSk_sCa8

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I like watching Steve Hofstetter dunk on hecklers.

Wasn't familiar with this one. Thanks for the name drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7kSFiQtD58

lol

Dixville posted:

Honestly I probably should have used the hour doing something more interesting but it came up on the recommends and the bf and I were like eh, might as well.

Sometimes I just browse bandcamp for new standup comedy. There's suprisingly quite a lot of good stuff there (some familiar names too). Also a lot of bad stuff, but you don't have to pay for those.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Sophy Wackles posted:

I find comedy highly offensive and I think it should be outlawed.

Yeah, but what did you think of the new Chris Rock special?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I think they should have Sit Down comedy.

Roseanne probably did that joke already.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

the only stand up comedy i watch is billy connolly or eddie izzard OP sorry

I saw Eddie Izzard in 2003 with Tom Jones blaring before he came out on stage. Couldn't understand a single word he said.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Piss Creep posted:

I think they should have Sit Down comedy.

Roseanne probably did that joke already.

What do you mean by "did" here though

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_h0_OUSScc&t=50s

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Piss Creep posted:

Its funny when out of touch millionaires try and relate to normal humans via their now outdated and disconnected craft, and all they have is lovely old people grievances.

I enjoyed the bit where he had an argument with is wife over whether to hire a lawyer to sue the prep-school their daughter was getting kicked out of for getting drunk on a class trip to Portugal.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I thought it was kinda cool that his rich rear end didn't just pay his way out of it and actually taught her a lesson. I think he makes a decent point about it. Probably still should've sued the school for letting the kids get away with that cause that could have ended much much worse but I also think she was old enough to know better and it was good that she had to face the consequences of her actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Dixville posted:

I thought it was kinda cool that his rich rear end didn't just pay his way out of it and actually taught her a lesson. I think he makes a decent point about it. Probably still should've sued the school for letting the kids get away with that cause that could have ended much much worse but I also think she was old enough to know better and it was good that she had to face the consequences of her actions.